• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lab Zero (Skullgirls) announce Indivisible "Metroidvania” w/ Valkyrie Profile combat"

I think it might be the dormant dyslexia kicking in but every time I see the title I want to say 'Invisdible,' like a 5 year old trying to say invisible.

Ravidrath

Not that I'm particularly surprised, but I'm still extremely relieved and gratified that people are enjoying the prototype.

The team really worked hard turning that around in such a short amount of time.

Playing the Prototype right now, and hot damn. This is rad as hell. Normally I don't so much enjoy prototype versions of games so much as I examine them, but this is already just a ton of fun and it feels good.

I especially love using the axe to climb walls. The team did a hell of a job on this, and while I already knew this through SG, I have no question they'll deliver a killer final product. You guys have my cash.

NEO0MJ

Just finished the prototype and I'm sold. biggest flaw for me was with the platforming. It feels kinda rigid as it is right now.

NEO0MJ

Rigid how? Can you be more specific?

The way Anja moves and jumps. Best I can give you right now is her momentum during and after the jump. Might be because I'm comparing it to dedicated platformers I played recently like Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.
It's nothing gamebreaking, really. Just that it might need the most tuning.

Ravidrath

The way Anja moves and jumps. Best I can give you right now is her momentum during and after the jump. Might be because I'm comparing it to dedicated platformers I played recently like Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.
It's nothing gamebreaking, really. Just that it might need the most tuning.

Ah, yeah, we've had a few comments about her momentum.

While I don't expect we'll update the prototype during the campaign, we are paying close attention to all the feedback.

Ravidrath

Three days left!

tumblr_nvnv7m5x5a1uzx2jzo1_1280.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shouldn't he be afraid of accidently bumping the top of his and stabing himself with it?

You're looking at it the wrong way.

He's only a master because he's made it this long without stabbing himself in the head.

poncle

That prototype is making me drool, the animations are amazing. Really looking forward playing it in person tomorrow.

Only issue I have, visually, game looks phenomenal from a gameplay standpoint, is the contrast between the animated characters and the backgrounds themselves. Was there any thought into giving the environments the same hand painted, animated feel?

Ravidrath

You know you've made it when your game gets mentioned in a Kawaiikochans comic.

Only issue I have, visually, game looks phenomenal from a gameplay standpoint, is the contrast between the animated characters and the backgrounds themselves. Was there any thought into giving the environments the same hand painted, animated feel?

It's something we intend to work on more, but the designed bits and the setpieces will always be constructed differently. One is made of tiles/blocks we lay out, and the other is like a Skullgirls stage. It's just not feasible to hand-paint large environments like that.

Just need to work on the lighting and textures a bit more to get the constructed segments to more closely match the others.

It's already a lot better than those screens we released a few weeks ago, though.

Kinuko

Art director here - the temple interior is definitely not quite where we wanted it to be, visually. The backgrounds in Skullgirls were based off of single illustrations that we basically broke up into layers to give it a 3D look, which made it match the illustrative look of the characters. For Indivisible, though, we were building from modular pieces for the first time, which definitely made it look more 3D in comparison. It's something we're working on and figuring out, for sure.

Lime

This is probably a dumb thing to suggest to someone who's incredibly experienced and talented when it comes to game development, but I think the clean, painted look of the game would benefit from some sort of filter or post-processing effect to make things seem less flat, clean and defined. Similar to what is used in Final Fantasy Tactics cutscenes or Valkyria Chronicles (not the exact same effect, but in principle the same method of giving something extra to the look of the game). I don't know, it's just that the look of the game is more flat, whereas stuff like VC or FF:T seem more like they pop out in a way thanks to the effect.

Anyway, I can't wait for the game regardless and I love what you guys are doing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ravidrath:

First, let me say, good luck with the project. I think it looks really phenomenal.

Second; I just pulled some numbers, and your minimum funding goal on IGG is ~60% higher than any other gaming project on IGG has ever funded. The #1 is, of course, your own Skullgirls DLC. But there have only been a handful of projects over 100k, let alone at the level of 1.5 million. In fact, KS has about as many games at the seven figure mark as IGG does projects.

Obviously IGG has been good to you guys and they've offered support to help you get funded in terms of promotional stuff, so I'm not saying "they're crazy not to use Kickstarter" but I'd be interested in knowing what makes you guys so confident that the platform is not going to be an albatross. It's always risky when you set out so that your minimum mark for success exceeds the maximum anyone else has ever pulled off.

Do you guys expect that most of the draw will come from people off IGG coming to the site just for your project? I think that's somewhat reasonable, but also that the umbrella effect is very real. I don't think that a lot of the last year's major KS projects have done as well as they have because they're so much more appealing projects than those proposed in yesteryear. I think it's more that people are more aware of KS than they were and there's more passive eyeballs scanning over projects. Maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, best of luck and I hope you guys rock it.

Ravidrath

Ravidrath:

First, let me say, good luck with the project. I think it looks really phenomenal.

Second; I just pulled some numbers, and your minimum funding goal on IGG is ~60% higher than any other gaming project on IGG has ever funded. The #2 is, of course, your own Skullgirls DLC. But there have only been a handful of projects over 100k, let alone at the level of 1.5 million. In fact, KS has about as many games at the seven figure mark as IGG does projects.

Obviously IGG has been good to you guys and they've offered support to help you get funded in terms of promotional stuff, so I'm not saying "they're crazy not to use Kickstarter" but I'd be interested in knowing what makes you guys so confident that the platform is not going to be an albatross. It's always risky when you set out so that your minimum mark for success exceeds the maximum anyone else has ever pulled off.

Do you guys expect that most of the draw will come from people off IGG coming to the site just for your project? I think that's somewhat reasonable, but also that the umbrella effect is very real. I don't think that a lot of the last year's major KS projects have done as well as they have because they're so much more appealing projects than those proposed in yesteryear. I think it's more that people are more aware of KS than they were and there's more passive eyeballs scanning over projects. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I've always been skeptical that people actually browse KS just looking for things to fund? And the data backs that up, too.

Maybe it happens a bit, but the vast majority of your hits are going to come in from social media, forums, gaming sites, etc.

And, yeah, our goal is high compared to others on IGG. But it's a reasonable budget and we're taking a completely different tact with this campaign than really any before. And at least based on the reactions to the prototype, I think that's going to be powerful. Instead of using our funding to build a marketing machine to drive it, we built a playable to drive it.

And, yes, we are supposed to get a lot of promotional support from IGG. They desperately want a $1M+ gaming campaign, and we're their last, best hope to do that. And of course 505 will be pulling out all the stops to promote the campaign, too.

Also, Skullgirls backers are pretty universally delighted with what we did with the previous campaign, which you cannot underestimate the importance of. So at the very least, we have 15,000 or so Skullgirls backers that are familiar and happy with the platform from 2.5 years ago, and lots of new Skullgirls fans since that have benefitted from their largesse.

So I think we're doing a lot of things right and I'd be really surprised if a lack of name recognition for the platform was the critical element? Not impossible, but I'd be surprised.

Also, IGG thought our last campaign would fail, and then it became their biggest gaming campaign ever. So that might be another reason I don't put a lot of stock into "metrics" and stuff like that? Just gotta do the best you can and hope that it'll be enough.

TheOGB

Banned
I guess I'm late to the early bird party, but I finally spent about an hour and a half playing the prototype earlier. It's very fun! The controls are as responsive as Skullgirls', to the point were simply moving around just feels good. Then I wall-jumped. And kept wall-jumping. And could not stop wall-jumping why is wall-jumping in this game so fun?? Then they had to make the axe super satisfying to use, so I spent a good chunk of time just wall-jumping and axe-climbing around like a maniac, accidentally getting into more fights and whatnot... I did notice some occasional weirdness with Ajna's momentum, but I'm not sure how to describe it. I'll mess around with that a bit more.

Combat took a bit of getting used to, as I'd never played Valkyrie Profile. I'd usually end up getting the hang of a concept just before a new one was introduced. Things got a little hectic once I had all four Incarnations and started fighting stronger enemies, but it was a fun learning process. I realized I was being a bit impatient, always trying to keep a combo going on as long as I can to gain Iddhi, but then wasting most of it making the whole party block. It started to train me to pay closer attention to what's happening when in battle, because there can be a lot happening. There were times where multiple enemies will attack different charcters (got me killed a couple times tbh), but there were also opportunities to sneak in more offense. Actually seeing who the enemy was targeting helped me conserve meter and use the meter for those cool (and useful!) super moves; all your meter being used in one go was another vital revelation, and had me thinking even more strategically than "press buttons, do cool shit."
The long and short of this being that, as someone new to this kind of combat, I enjoyed it. It's more strategic than I was expecting. It feels like there's still a lot to be discovered and mastered.

The game looks pretty damn good already (seriously, the art coming from Lab Zero will never not be great), ran smoothly, and the few songs that were featured sound good as well. I can't wait for the campaign to start and for this game to get funded, because I need more of it. I'll definitely be throwing money at this project ASAP. You good folks at L0 have got something great here already Ravidrath, so I hope this is beyond successful for you all!

Noogy

Art director here - the temple interior is definitely not quite where we wanted it to be, visually. The backgrounds in Skullgirls were based off of single illustrations that we basically broke up into layers to give it a 3D look, which made it match the illustrative look of the characters. For Indivisible, though, we were building from modular pieces for the first time, which definitely made it look more 3D in comparison. It's something we're working on and figuring out, for sure.

Really love what I've been seeing so far, I hadn't realized there was a public build. I'm excited to see what you guys have done!

It's supposed to launch around 6 AM Pacific time.

Ah, got it, thanks.

Ravidrath:

Second; I just pulled some numbers, and your minimum funding goal on IGG is ~60% higher than any other gaming project on IGG has ever funded. The #1 is, of course, your own Skullgirls DLC. But there have only been a handful of projects over 100k, let alone at the level of 1.5 million. In fact, KS has about as many games at the seven figure mark as IGG does projects.

I ran some basic numbers on a few of the most successful KS projects as well and aside from the massive number of contributors (KS projects with 40-60+ thousand contributors are blowing my mind right now) the average dollar contributions were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s (Shenmue 3). The Skullgirls campaign is certainly still one of the most impressive crowdfunding stories (and THE story for fighting game crowdfunds), but I see now that we'll have to reach deeper into our pockets than ever. Oh well, nothing riles up the SG and Lab Zero fanbase like a good chance to fight against adversity.

Ravidrath

I ran some basic numbers on a few of the most successful KS projects as well and aside from the massive number of contributors (KS projects with 40-60+ thousand contributors is blowing my mind right now) the average dollar contributions were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s (Shenmue 3). The Skullgirls campaign is certainly still one of the most impressive crowdfunding stories (and THE story for fighting game crowdfunds), but I see now that we'll have to reach deeper into our pockets than ever. Oh well, nothing riles up the SG and Lab Zero fanbase like a good chance to fight against adversity.

Well, a few considerations that I don't think should be overlooked:

- SG CF'ing was for DLC characters for a niche game in a niche genre
- This is for a whole game, in a more popular and accessible genre
- We have a very polished "playable prototype," which Skullgirls was for the first campaign - only this time it's free to everyone
- With 505's help, we're launching the campaign in seven languages total, increasing our reach

Top Bottom