• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ladies and gentlemen, I saw something over the last 48 hours that hasn't happened yet this (next) gen...

TrueLegend

Look OP you are a good father. Rest of it is just bullshit. One thing you could do to enjoy Series S is to plug it to 1080p or 720p display and you wont have much problem. If you plug it to 4k tv you will not be very happy.

Last edited:
To me this reads like an advertisement for cryptocurrency. Imagine getting cucked by your bank over such a comparatively small amount of money.

MOTM

Banned
It is not significantly smaller to the point where the supply discrepancy should be this large, especially when you consider the fact that it shares a large amount of its components with the Series X.

The Switch had at least five years of production to get its supply where it is today. Have you seriously not wondered why the regular switch is in stock but the Switch OLED is sold out? Spoiler: It's going to remain sold out for a very long time.

I am simply pointing out the facts. I've never once called it a failure or anything of the sorts. What I have said is that people who claim it is or it is going to be the best selling Xbox (Much like yourself) are completley out of touch with reality and have no idea how the market really works. You have to come with all sorts of weird logic why the supposed best selling xbox console is the only system sitting on shelves when every other new gaming related product is sold out.

Here's the reality: The Xbox Series S is the least desirable console and it will sell significantly less than the Series X as soon as the Series X's supply is able to meet demand.
Bro you got owned by everybody in here and look like an idiot.

How about you just log out for the day?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They're not that easy to get ahold of either, and they're not there any more. I don't know how many they had, but it seemed to be an ideal time to have them.

In the UK the S is easy to get hold of. I could walk into a store and buy one in person or get one online. They're so easy to get hold of, that I've been tempted to get one because the X is impossible to get. However, currently my iron will is holding out and I'm hanging on for the X.

Shmunter

Series S is more available than a PS4 pro. Don’t know if it’s selling like shit, or if MS is actually producing this at a brisker rate as their main unit.

Likely a higher margin product while fulfilling eco system acquisition by punter.

Last edited:

Rykan

Series S is more available than a PS4 pro. Don’t know if it’s selling like shit, or if MS is actually producing this at a brisker rate as their main unit.

Likely a higher margin product while fulfilling eco system acquisition by punter.
Ps4 pro is being phased out I believe. I don’t think they’re produced anymore. If you have one, it’s quite valuable at the moment and worth some good trade in value

On the one hand...you could be right. I know I wasn't in the market for a Series S. On the other hand, this could all be playing out exactly as Microsoft has forseen it...
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

The S has always been easy to find. You can get them for retail on ebay, ffs. There's a reason that scalpers don't touch them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Little Mac

Gold Member
I love my Series S. Have it hooked up to a 55” 4K tv and think it looks great. Forza and Halo are amazing. I don’t understand why people see it as a consolation price. Have fun!

First, hear my tale of woe. It is true, 100%. I actually purchased a year long membership to WAL-FUCKING-MART, so that I might get an early-bird shot at a PS5 for my 14 year-old son. I am one of the lucky few that got placed in a virtual line, which seems to be a clever way to avoid crashing the website, and they tell me it could take up to 33 minutes. FUCK YEAH, I'LL WAIT!

I've got my AMEX lined up for this purchase. I barely use it and they're always, and I mean ALWAYS, emailing me telling me they've increased my spending limit. THIS baby's got my back! The minutes tick down...8...7...6...

SUDDENLY, I'm in line with a 10 minute timer to complete my purchase. WOOHOO! IT'S IN THE BAG, MY SON!!!

[DECLINED]

WTaF?!?!?

The timer is counting down...7...6...

An email pops in from AMEX: Did you just try to make a 499.00 purchase from Wal-Mart?

[YES] [NO]

It's like a FUCKING love letter from a 5th grader!

say what again pulp fiction GIF

Thank you for you response. Feel free to go back and resume your purchase.

There's still time on the clock! I press purchase...

Your shopping cart is empty.

Meme Reaction GIF by Tyler

So, that was my PS5 tale. On to my point. I went back in to the Wal-Mart website to see what I could salvage. PS5 Hah! Xbox Series X Hah! Xbox Series S wut? There it sat. I put it in my cart and purchased it; half because I couldn't believe it was happening. It arrives Saturday. The thing is...I kept checking, and the Series S was available for...like...24 hours on Wal-Mart during full-blown Black Friday madness, when LITERALLY nothing else next-gen or Switch OLED had stock.

This is either going to be a breakout month for Microsoft for the November NPDs, or nobody wants an Xbox Series S, of which I am no longer a member of. Has Microsoft been stockpiling Xbox Series S' in conjunction with Wal-Mart on Black Friday?

george w bush strategy GIF
Please pass this on to your son Christmas morning.

Childhelp

4nAqZ8d.gif

I'm kidding I'm sure he'll be very happy 🥳

MrFunSocks

Banned
To me this reads like an advertisement for cryptocurrency. Imagine getting cucked by your bank over such a comparatively small amount of money.
If you think this is getting cucked financially then you definitely don’t want to go near crypto haha. Oh you wanna buy a PS5 for $499 with crypto? That’ll be $599 after all the bloody fees. Crypto is not for buying things, it’s basically just speculative shares that can be and are manipulated by rich people.

I say this as someone with a mining rig and $10k+ of crypto.

saintjules

You know you can alert your credit card company to an upcoming large purchase to avoid that, right?

Sometimes that's not required by certain companies. And it's hard to say when the Customer will actually get a chance to buy something that large. How long would they allow the alert for before it defaults back?

If you think this is getting cucked financially then you definitely don’t want to go near crypto haha. Oh you wanna buy a PS5 for $499 with crypto? That’ll be $599 after all the bloody fees. Crypto is not for buying things, it’s basically just speculative shares that can be and are manipulated by rich people.

I say this as someone with a mining rig and $10k+ of crypto.
Nah, if crypto were normally accepted as a currency, there would barely be any fees. We're talking 1-2 dollars with BTC/ETH and much lower with other currencies.

Paulistano

Is 499 a large amount ? I m asking cause i dont live on NA, here in Brazil a PS5 is up to R$5000 ( U$ 999 )
I paid R$3980 here with cashback and selling the game it has come with, this comes to about US$714, so if you take in consideration that the brazilian goverment mafia tax the shit out of it you realize the price is kind of good actually.

Buying a Walmart subscription just to get the privilege of getting in line for an attempt at a PS5 purchase is utter BS. It's the legit retailer version of scalping.

Don't do this.

USE A STOCK TRACKER WEBSITE!!! I did! Got mine ages ago.

Just be ready to spend big on a bundle with a shitty game you don't want, and be ready to wake up at 3am like I did to complete my purchase.

kingfey

Banned
In the UK the S is easy to get hold of. I could walk into a store and buy one in person or get one online. They're so easy to get hold of, that I've been tempted to get one because the X is impossible to get. However, currently my iron will is holding out and I'm hanging on for the X.
I can get one, but that storage is nope from me. I want to download 10 games, and change between them. I aint playing on a 325gb system. no way in hell. Even when I like the design, I am not gonna bother myself with it.

Duchess

Ugh ... I hate stuff like that. You're trying to get a deal, your card gets declined, you have to confirm with your bank it really was you trying to make the purchase, and then you get this:

"Thank you for your confirmation. Please wait 30 minutes and then try your purchase again."

Timer for deal: 4 minutes remaining ...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Best Buy is only for local stores. Even if it says add to cart it’s not for shipping. It could just be one store in the middle of nowhere.

Good catch. I assumed it was available because it says "add to cart", but it won't let you actually buy it. That's just weird.

I added it to my cart and it says it's only available in certain markets, that none are available near me, and that it's unavailable for shipping. They let me add it to my cart but they won't let me buy it.

Most times I've seen it Add to Cart it was available locally, but I assumed it was available for shipping as well. Just bizarre.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Similar thing happened to me buying a series x for my buddy. Card blocked it and I lost my window after some serious effort and trickery :(

DragonNCM

I think PS4 Pro production was terminated this July or June.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Series S consoles have been in stock on Amazon since January. It’s not the mass market device MS thought it would be and in the UK it’s cheaper than a new Xbox One X and not far off a standard Xbox One…

Well, it's a 500 dollar console. It's a lot of money for a Christmas present for a kid.
When I would get a console, I never expected another $500 item every year after that. My parents knew the deal cause they had been getting me games since the PS1 days

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Most cards will flag anything higher than $250-275 usually.
It must depend on the customer and credit limit. I got a large flooring order from Home Depot flagged and cancelled. It was several k. I called my CC company and complained and told them it was going to delay my whole project by a week which was true and they gave me 20 bucks credit via points and never fucked with my purchases again.

Deerock71

It must depend on the customer and credit limit. I got a large flooring order from Home Depot flagged and cancelled. It was several k. I called my CC company and complained and told them it was going to delay my whole project by a week which was true and they gave me 20 bucks credit via points and never fucked with my purchases again.
homer simpson episode 3 GIF

Deerock71

Fuck, I was hoping this story was going to end with you receiving a used Wii U.
You know what's funny is I actually bought a store display Wii U from a chain called Hastings (which shuttered their doors during the Obama administration), and it was in better shape than my own gamepad lol.

jigglet

Banned
You know what's funny is I actually bought a store display Wii U from a chain called Hastings (which shuttered their doors during the Obama administration), and it was in better shape than my own gamepad lol.

lol that glossy finish picked up hairline scratches like a motherfucker.

I was literally the only one at the launch day line who bought a white one. It was full of hardcore Nintendo fans asking why???? I said cause hairline scratches are barely visible on the white model. And we'll all need an external HDD anyway regardless of which one you buy, so why not go for the model that's still going to be looking good in a month. Ohhhhh was I right :)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
lol that glossy finish picked up hairline scratches like a motherfucker.

I was literally the only one at the launch day line who bought a white one. It was full of hardcore Nintendo fans asking why???? I said cause hairline scratches are barely visible on the white model. And we'll all need an external HDD anyway regardless of which one you buy, so why not go for the model that's still going to be looking good in a month. Ohhhhh was I right :)
It's like if given the choice between a black and a white car you *never* choose the black one. White Wii U owner here as well for that reason.

jigglet

Banned
Look OP you are a good father. Rest of it is just bullshit. One thing you could do to enjoy Series S is to plug it to 1080p or 720p display and you wont have much problem. If you plug it to 4k tv you will not be very happy.

Im considering buying a nice 1080p set before they become extinct. I figure it’ll be useful to have one lying around for playing games from the last few gens.

Deerock71

Im considering buying a nice 1080p set before they become extinct. I figure it’ll be useful to have one lying around for playing games from the last few gens.
I think a 1080p OLED and a Series S might be a fucking compelling combo.

RafterXL

The S has always been easy to find. You can get them for retail on ebay, ffs. There's a reason that scalpers don't touch them.
No it hasn't. It's easier to get than the XSX or the PS5 but they still sell out all the time. And you literally cannot buy one for retail on Ebay, why even make up something that is so easily debunked? Scalpers have been selling a ton of them.

Top Bottom