• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lager is the only good type of beer

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had quite a journey with beer, where I started with Guinness, got super into craft Stouts and IPAs, started getting into various ales and ambers, and now I really do prefer Lager/Pilsner to the point that it's basically all I will buy. I certainly won't turn down other beers when out with friends, but yeah, Lager/Pilsner is where it's at for me now.

GAMETA

Banned
Which ones do you like? Have you tried Bohemian Pilsners?
There's a limited offer to what you can find around here, at least for reasonable prices, I'm not a connoisseur in any way.

I've had local Brazilian brands that use a "Bohemian method", the biggest brand being actually named "Bohemia" because of that... pretty good, but I wouldn't know how they compare to the originals.

I'll drink almost anything, though, mainstream or local, from Stella Artois to Budweiser to Heineken, whatever's on the menu... my favorite is a local brand, Eisenbahn is the name, medium operation but has been growing a lot, getting traction and recognition, great beer.

The thread was created because I had an imported Ale from Australia, disgusting, lol.

Last edited:
There aren't really many kind of beers that I don't like but I would say that lagers and pilsners are pretty much good on any occasion.

OP what are your gotos? For a while I was drinking a shitload of Lagunitas Pils and Red Stripes (especially during hot summer days) but recently have been drinking more IPAs.

Manus

A pilsner is like the last thing I want when I'm wanting to drink a beer. Give me a heavy IPA or a stout any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

GAMETA

Banned
There aren't really many kind of beers that I don't like but I would say that lagers and pilsners are pretty much good on any occasion.

OP what are your gotos? For a while I was drinking a shitload of Lagunitas Pils and Red Stripes (especially during hot summer days) but recently have been drinking more IPAs.

I don't have much access to the brands you have in the US or Europe (I live in Brazil).. from known worldwide brands, I can say I've had Budweiser, Heineken, Stella Artois, Corona, Duff... Stella is my favorite among these, followed maybe by Budweiser.

Last edited:

JBat

Beers are like women. You can find beauty in all shades pale to dark and light to heavy. But ultimately it comes down to taste. Lately I've been in the mood for a really malty porter. Next week I might want something that punches me in the face with hops. You can't limit yourself. It's nice to have options. Remember, when offered a beer you are only allowed to complain about the temperature at which it is served

notseqi

GpVhQnJ.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
German lagers are unbeatable.

I have a Phillips perfectdraft, and although the German selection is not massive, it annihilates the Belgian beers and more than justifies the price of entry.

I just wish that I could get kegs of Bitburger for it

Last edited:
Lager will do in a pinch, if you just want to get mildly drunk, and compliments some food, but it's weak piss flavour wise.

A good rich hoppy ale with an actual flavour profile is vastly better though.

I'm particularly fond of St Austell's Proper Black dark IPA, which is a heavily hopped, bitter with coffee undertones belter. Goes great with strong cheeses, pies and sausage rolls.

FVJd8G2.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ve never been a fan of lager/beer.

Cider (Proper British/Irish stuff, still or cloudy).
Guinness.
Rum.
Whiskey, especially Japanese.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I always find these discussions both funny and disorienting because my language doesn’t have native words to differentiate beers. Every such word comes from some other language and I know virtually nothing of all this. To me, they’re all beers and generalization is impossible.

After all, I barely remember what a beer tastes like a very short time after drinking it. It’s just a drink. To me, there’s just “good beer” and “meh beer”. Don’t remember ever tasting a truly bad one, but even the most tasteless beer I’ve ever drank was basically water, which isn’t bad at all.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There's a limited offer to what you can find around here, at least for reasonable prices, I'm not a connoisseur in any way.

I've had local Brazilian brands that use a "Bohemian method", the biggest brand being actually named "Bohemia" because of that... pretty good, but I wouldn't know how they compare to the originals.

I'll drink almost anything, though, mainstream or local, from Stella Artois to Budweiser to Heineken, whatever's on the menu... my favorite is a local brand, Eisenbahn is the name, medium operation but has been growing a lot, getting traction and recognition, great beer.

The thread was created because I had an imported Ale from Australia, disgusting, lol.
Interesting, I am not really well versed on beers, because I thought that Pilsen is only one. In Pilsen (Plzeň in Czech) Czech Republic. Interesting how far our culture goes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
and the best kind of lager?

tennents_lager_beer_4_x_568ml_33268_T5.jpg

i used to stay next to the brewery as a kid and the smell that came off it was so damn good. in the summer the smell was so intense. might sound silly but whenever i smell it now it brings back so many memories of playing out in the streets as a kid.

Tennents%20Brewery%20Tour%20Heritage%20Walking%20Sightseeing%20Glasgow-1920x1080-resize.jpg

Last edited:

notseqi

You probably never had a 10% Bockbier that is smooth as and goes down like water, even at room temperature.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Lager will do in a pinch, if you just want to get mildly drunk, and compliments some food, but it's weak piss flavour wise.

A good rich hoppy ale with an actual flavour profile is vastly better though.

I'm particularly fond of St Austell's Proper Black dark IPA, which is a heavily hopped, bitter with coffee undertones belter. Goes great with strong cheeses, pies and sausage rolls.

FVJd8G2.jpg
I’m a massive fan of their Tribute ale, but I’ve never seen that on sale near me, where do you procure it from?

I’m a massive fan of their Tribute ale, but I’ve never seen that on sale near me, where do you procure it from?
They have an online store that sells them by the box

Their selection of 12 packs changes quite regularly, and they often do variety boxes with a mix of 6-12 different beers in.

My mother in law got me a box of Proper Black and a variety box for Christmas, which I am steadily working through.

They also actually do do a lager, which is quite nice, for a lager. Goes well with fish and chips.

Fbh

Pilsner/Lager is like this generic good stuff that you can always drink and is always enjoyable. It goes with pretty much anything and it's also the best if you'll be drinking lots of it (at a BBQ, Party or something like that)

I really like IPA's and Stouts too, I like the stronger flavors though I've usually had enough after 2 or 3 of them. Except Guiness which I can't have enough of, but it has to be from the tap (the cans/bottles don't taste the same).

Though the be honest the only type of beer I've never really liked is wheat beer-

Last edited:
Had this couple weeks ago, 4 bottles for 44 bucks... It was good, not 44 bucks good. Out of all the 600+ brands/types I drank (no exaggeration) I still could never pick up the different notes in ingediants. Oh yeah I tasted a hint of coriandar, lol

I appreciate all kinds of beer, nor am I a beer snob. Drink whatever makes you happy. Love me an ice cold coors from time to time.

Last edited:

Raven117

Only good type? I don't know.

But give me a lager 9 times out of 10. Its light, refreshing, you can drink alot of it, and most people in the world drink some version of this rather than some snooty IPA (which is funny because its still just beer).

Last edited:
Top Bottom