• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Langrisser Re:Incarnation -Tensei- |OT| Not Like This

Vlaphor

I'm kinda digging some of the character designs here. If you're gonna go fanservicey, go all out. No remorse, no regret, pencil in one hand, phone call to the ratings board (to make sure you aren't go too far) in the other.

daevious

Terrible games make for the best OT's.

I've never heard of this game and this thread has been a helpful reminder to keep it that way.

Nairume

Banned
The bastardized corpse of Masaya, almost no one from the original team was involved in this. Not sure anyone was.
From what I recall, aside from Iwadare being back as composer, the only other "major" person with any connection to the older games is that the producer was a businessman from Masaya's parent company and was credited as a special thanks in Langrisser 5.

Will say that I bet this game might have come off a lot better if they had just released it as a budget title. At the least, it looks like one.

cj_iwakura

It's up to me now, I'm reviewing this game.

dPbF33J.gif

Played a bit. Holy shit.
I'm not sure this is even gonna be fun to hate play.
It's legitimately terrible.
For one, they flipped A and B so B fucking accepts actions while A cancels.
There's lag entering every single menu, or before moving.
You can't move then use a healing skill. You can only heal in the position your healer starts the turn in and it uses their whole turn. No moving after.
The 3D is bad, and the sprites look grainy no matter which of the three zoom levels I choose.
Maps are enormous. You can't choose what order your troops act in. It's set.

And this is just from the first battle.

Ondore

The only redeeming feature of the combat is that you can gang up on enemy commanders to take out their mercenaries as well, but I know Shizuka's pain all too well.

Skulldead

Played a bit. Holy shit.
I'm not sure this is even gonna be fun to hate play.
It's legitimately terrible.
For one, they flipped A and B so B fucking accepts actions while A cancels.
There's lag entering every single menu, or before moving.
You can't move then use a healing skill. You can only heal in the position your healer starts the turn in and it uses their whole turn. No moving after.
The 3D is bad, and the sprites look grainy no matter which of the three zoom levels I choose.
Maps are enormous. You can't choose what order your troops act in. It's set.

And this is just from the first battle.

How the hell can they make so much bad game design in a single game(i saw the review on the OT page)... it's remind me of.... lunar dragon song....

lmcontaldi

Neo Member
Reviewing this for DualShockers right now -- I'd like to think we are a team that can enjoy a fair amount of obscure RPGs with a ton of fan service.

But (judging off my first two hours of gameplay) the opinions in this thread seem overwhelmingly accurate. I'm determined to get through the whole game, so I'll try to report back and let you know if there is some amazing story arc or gameplay design that turns things around in the end.

Reviewing this for DualShockers right now -- I'd like to think we are a team that can enjoy a fair amount of obscure RPGs with a ton of fan service.

But (judging off my first two hours of gameplay) the opinions in this thread seem overwhelmingly accurate. I'm determined to get through the whole game, so I'll try to report back and let you know if there is some amazing story arc or gameplay design that turns things around in the end.
I think it'd be hilarious if theres some incredible true end that only unlocks after playing through the game with all three factions.

You guys never play the old game if you think their animation wasn't bad. The old games just had character bump into each other in their run animation.

You guys never play the old game if you think their animation wasn't bad. The old games just had character bump into each other in their run animation.
No they didn't? In each battle scene they'd launch spells and arrows and hop around and swing swords and stuff. The animation in older Langrisser games was fine to great imo.
Three hours into this one and they're still objectively shitty.

OuterLimits

I am currently playing the game. Just started. I wanted to be a fighter type character but I ended up a mage after answering the questions. So mage it is. Then the first character they have join my party is another mage. Great. Although it's early and I'm beating people easily. No in battle save kind of sucks since even the first couple maps were big.

Battles animations are funny as hell, but whatever. I'm a bit confused with the opening story. I'm hoping I eventually figure it out.

Music is decent, hell it may be the best part of game. Except for the menu music which hurts my ears. I do like how you can buy troops and stuff. I'm early on though so can't say much besides the battle graphics are hysterical.

I love SRPGs , so I'm very forgiving when it comes to games in this genre. I will keep playing and updating, since it seems like only 5 people in America bought the game.

WVW69jI6BmsOXtXYkb

Chapter 8 is the branching choice between the three paths. Apparently there's another branch in the darkness route to a "secret" route of sorts.

I think there are 23-25 Chapters total, but I'm not entirely sure. Can't be more than 25, though, thankfully.
WVW69jIlhgIKdfRnlf

I also like how there are so few portraits for NPCs. I've seen like...3 for enemies so far and one for civilians. Lots of twins here.

Ondore

I just submitted a review for this game that I think will be the lowest score I will ever give. Hopefully it'll be up soon.

Voliko

The old animations are better but still pretty meh. Shining Force animations are mind-blowing compared to the battle animations in the Langrisser games. I can't imagine keeping them on though, the battles already take too long without them.

I was mildly interested ad i usually buy everything, but due to the combination of digital only for europe and some terrific stuff i've been reading in this thread, i think i'll pass

Javier

Baffling design choices - No soft-reset, no quick save, very limited map preview before battle, shop equipment doesn't show
stats before being bought, no preview of stat changes upon class change, no game speed settings, etc.
HOW.

It's like they had a checklist of "Basic shit that's a must for every RPG ever" and chose to not include any of it.

cj_iwakura

I love this genre, but yeah, this game is pretty brutal. I still rate it over Hoshigami though. Damn I hated that game.

I liked Hoshigami, though boy was I burned by it. I fell for the 'It's the FFT successor!' hype hard. That damn coinfeigm system still gives me shivers.

At least it was playable unlike this POS.

tuffymon

The combat hurts to look at, seriously, I'd take the 2D warsong models for combat... I seriously would have figured that all these years later from Warsong to this game that the combat at least would look good...

Ondore

That was quick, did you make it until the end?

I made it into the low 20s before I hit a chapter that ended with my main character having to solo about 50 units while another character (who was about 20 levels below him but forced in) ran away. At that point, continuing would have been physically painful.

I will correct the record and say that you can see stat changes when changing class because you have to pick from two. The rest of the baffling design decisions are correct and bullshit, though.

georly

I was pointed toward this OT after reading the NWR review on the game. Top notch OT. Best I've seen. Thank you OP.

Nintendo world report - 2/10 (Mad props to you Ondore, damn)

The Pros are my favorite part of the review.

Nintendaan's rant:

This game is insane. You know a game's bad when the GAF OT will bring many more people joy than the game itself.

Shizuka

I kinda want to refrain from starting Severed and giving this a go after that review.

Edit: This is not PlayStation, why is "B" the confirm button and not "A"?

RedSwirl

I just had a rental copy mailed in from GameFly, and I'd never heard of this series until I'd popped it in. I only just went back and researched the other ones. I guess making me aware of them is one good thing this game did.

I've only played the first couple chapters and other than some really odd UI quirks I haven't started to see what's so shitty about this particular game. Second chapter was pretty eventful even. How much further do you suggest I play before deciding I've gotten a good idea of what Re:incarnation is like?

If I'm ever interested in investigating the series further, what are the best ones (that are translated/fan-translated)? Where would the best place to start be?

cj_iwakura

I just had a rental copy mailed in from GameFly, and I'd never heard of this series until I'd popped it in. I only just went back and researched the other ones. I guess making me aware of them is one good thing this game did.

I've only played the first couple chapters and other than some really odd UI quirks I haven't started to see what's so shitty about this particular game. Second chapter was pretty eventful even. How much further do you suggest I play before deciding I've gotten a good idea of what Re:incarnation is like?

If I'm ever interested in investigating the series further, what are the best ones (that are translated/fan-translated)? Where would the best place to start be?

Langrisser 1/Aka Warsong on the Genesis. You can patch it to have the original character art. The original translation isn't half bad.

Fair warning: it is TOUGH.

cj_iwakura

While browsing Amazon I had this pop up as a recommendation,
And it can be yours for ONLY $10.96!

And since I got a $10 credit for the whole Zero Escape 3 fiasco I could buy it for less than a dollar! but I am still not brave enough to do it

About $20.96 too expensive. Eventually they'll pay people to get it. Don't waste any money on this, go donate it to MSF or something. Aksys don't deserve a dime for deciding to license this.

Top Bottom