• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

fernoca

At the moment, the game's not for purchase in the US. So the same that happened with Castlevania about not letting people buying the full game (inside the game), till it was officially up, may happen here.

panda21

any of the reviews talk much about the singleplayer?

from the giantbomb quicklook its significantly different (some obstacles missing, all the co-op 'puzzles' gone but not necessarily replaced by anything..) but the IGN review doesnt really go into it that much.. its obviously worse, i just wonder is it still good?

burgerdog

So this is sort of lame. If you get all ten skulls and complete the challenge rooms in the first level under demo play, you will not get the achievements when you unlock the game. To get those achievements you will need to unlock them in chapter 2-14.

V_Arnold

panda21 said:
any of the reviews talk much about the singleplayer?

from the giantbomb quicklook its significantly different (some obstacles missing, all the co-op 'puzzles' gone but not necessarily replaced by anything..) but the IGN review doesnt really go into it that much.. its obviously worse, i just wonder is it still good?

It is not worse, it is different. You will still need to focus and even use your brain sometimes. Perfect single-player experience awaits you in this game, worry not.

Hige

The "Jump Jump" and "Overachiever" achievements seem glitchy. Started up a 2nd controller to grab some co-op achievements locally and the 2nd player (Totec) got the Jump Jump achievement (Jump from Totec's shield while he is jumping). Thought maybe only one player gets the achievement, but later on in the level, both controllers got the "Leap of Faith" achievement (Catch Totec with grapple).

So I started a new co-op game and signed in a new account on the 2nd controller and I took control of Totec this time, the character that got the Jump Jump achievement last time. Jumped off the shield and... the 2nd controller (Lara this time) got the achievement. -_- Meh. Went through the level and killed 3 enemies with 1 bomb and got the achievement on my account, so it seemed at least not all achievements were glitching. Finally, I did one of the level challenges on my own account and the 2nd controller got the "Overachiever" achievement. Really frustrating.

I think sometimes what fixes this is to delete and reinstall the game, right? Took forever to download 2GB on a wireless connection in the first place so I'll try that later I guess. :(

Edit: Went to dashboard and relaunched the game, and this time Jump Jump unlocked. Not sure why that particular one was glitchy.

FrankT

Bought and downloading.

Daigoro said:
bu bu bu bub but Brain Stew says the 360 version looks like-

Heh.

burgerdog said:
I'll see if I could find the link, I read it recently. I know about Comic Jumper because I saw it on Xplay yesterday and the guy they were interviewing said it was 2gigs, the highest they're able to go.

edit

I found a source, though, it's not where I originally read it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...the-New-Size-Limit-for-Xbox-Live-Arcade-Games

Yes I do remember this and kind of why I brought it up, but not really understanding that when there are Games on Demand of much larger size.

Larson Conway said:
Ok I'm a bit confused. Is the first DLC coming exclusively for the 360 AND will be free for 30 days? Or is it coming to all platforms but will exclusively be free for 360 for 30 days?

Either way it does sound like a measure CD felt like doing to make up for the delayed online co-op. A way to appease MS it seems.

EDIT: Ok, scratch the question. Got it. :D

Would have to agree. And I believe it's simply free to 360 owners to download for the first 30 days it's available.

xbhaskarx

I'm really enjoying it so far, and it looks great.

My only complaints:
The writing (action movie one liners) and "acting" are horrible.
So far at least, it feels like a bunch of little challenge rooms instead of one giant area.

Gowans

Had a quick blast on my lunch, wonder if I'll be the only one to get stuck
On the killer stairs

Edit: I am blind

Gowans007 said:
Had a quick blast on my lunch, wonder if I'll be the only one to get stuck
On the killer stairs

Edit: I am blind

Bought insta without a demo, however i dont know if i wanna play this before the online co-op is a go. :lol

Pydte

ACE 1991 said:
So how puzzle heavy is this game? I'm interested, but not really so much if it's mostly puzzling.
I'm about halfway through the game, and so far it's been more or less 50/50, perhaps even 60/40 in favour of combat. The puzzles required for progression are very smooth, and the tricky ones (i.e. the challenge rooms) can just be passed. You have nothing to worry about, go check it out. =)

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Happy Lara-Croft-and-the-Guardian-XBox-360-Release-Day everybody! It's great to read all the positive comments in this thread. Everyone on the team is stoked.

Larson Conway said:
MOAR reviews added to the OP.

Anyway, I'm torn. I'm a huge fan of the traditional Tomb Raider releases (platforming/puzzles) and I fear that this experiment -- which is proving to be quite the surprise critical success -- will have SE/CD focus on more digital downloads/isometric releases off the franchise. Nothing wrong with that, as long as I get my Tomb Raider fix. But, eh.

Don't get me wrong though, being that this is a Lara Croft game, I'm happy, and to be honest the character/dev team behind it is what got me to want to explore this type of game/play. I just hope this isn't what people/gamers in general will come to expect of 'Tomb Raider'. I can see it a year from now when Tomb Raider 9 is released -- "The exploration is not nearly enough to compensate for the refreshing combat system introduced by LCGoL introduced last year." :\

Don't worry old bean. Tomb Raider is safe.

mm04

Anyone whose bought this, can you tell what the native resolution is and if it's running at 60 fps? I'm debating on whether to get it for PC or console.

burgerdog

mm04 said:
Anyone whose bought this, can you tell what the native resolution is and if it's running at 60 fps? I'm debating on whether to get it for PC or console.

Uh, other than mazerdude or whatever his name is, I'm sure that no other gaffer pixel counts. Only thing I can tell you is that it's 30FPS.

TripOpt55

Man, I want this pretty bad. I was going to wait for the PSN version but I may just get the XBLA one. I'm downloading the demo now. Should be a while.

FrankT

Played a few of the first levels this morning. Gameplay and combat is really solid. I'm surprised how well the controls are really. Level puzzles are fairly straightforward yet a nice mix up in the gameplay. Challenge rooms are a bit on the easy side so far. Story seems pretty straight forward as well, but it still has that classic Lara feel. Definitely worth the points so far.

Played the first two levels in single player, very nice. Good pacing, nice controls, nice graphics, looking forward to the rest.

dralla

played the demo and liked it, just 2 questions. does the combat get repetitive? and does the whole game take place inside the one temple? [location variety?]

FrankT

dralla said:
played the demo and liked it, just 2 questions. does the combat get repetitive? and does the whole game take place inside the one temple? [location variety?]

Naw there are inside and outside locations including other temples. As far as combat goes it's pretty basic, but they start really mixing up the enemy variety as I've progressed.

mclaren777

Jtyettis said:
Another interesting point on this is the size. Coming in right at 2GBs that is the latest limit on XBLA games right? I wonder if eventually MS will have to up that again. Of course they can get around some content with DLC.
This game was intentionally designed to get as close to the 2GB limit as possible.

Atomski

Enjoying this so far. Graphics are better than expected.. look a lot better than that spider pic people were showing days ago.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Was going to wait for the PS3 version since that's where I do almost all my gaming on, but TR is my favorite franchise. Might have to rehook up the 360 and download this.

fernoca

Loving the game so far. :D
Looks great, puzzles are intuitive and mixed with the game and to move the game; helping the flow; rather than forcing you to stop and think for a logn period of time.

By the way, the game has 2 Avatar awards, unlocked by completing the game (once). A Mercenary Outfit and a Lara-Jungle outfit.

TripOpt55

I just tried the demo and it's really cool. I was going to wait for the PS3 version, but I'm not sure I want to now. Going to think about getting it on XBLA.

FrankT

fernoca said:
Loving the game so far. :D
Looks great, puzzles are intuitive and mixed with the game and to move the game; helping the flow; rather than forcing you to stop and think for a logn period of time.

By the way, the game has 2 Avatar awards, unlocked by completing the game (once). A Mercenary Outfit and a Lara-Jungle outfit.

Nice.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
dralla said:
I'm around stage 6 and the combat is still fun. There's enough variety in enemies and guns to keep everything fresh so far. There's several temples each with their own theme and several outdoor stages with environmental hazards.

Played this game with a buddy for 3 hours without stopping. It is probably the most fun I've had with a game since Mass Effect 2 and easily the best title on XBLA.

fwiw, I don't care about Tomb Raider at all, I'm rather apathetic to the franchise.

dralla

in the 2nd area where you have to cross the river without touching the water for a challenge, i didn't see that there was a path of bricks you could use. I rolled the rock into the water, jumped on it and planted a bomb to move it. :lol

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
dralla said:
in the 2nd area where you have to cross the river without touching the water for a challenge, i didn't see that there was a path of bricks you could use. I rolled the rock into the water, jumped on it and planted a bomb to move it. :lol

Haha - that didn't work though.. right? :lol

dralla

actually it did work. when i planted the bomb the rock started to roll, I assume the physics kicked in. I barely made the jump over the water

burgerdog

dralla said:
That's pretty damn cool.

JKTrix

Really really enjoyed the trial and would have bought it as soon as it finished if I had more money.

I should get more money tomorrow. This game will be bought.

eshwaaz

V_Arnold said:
It is not worse, it is different. You will still need to focus and even use your brain sometimes. Perfect single-player experience awaits you in this game, worry not.

YES. That's what I want to hear.

D6AMIA6N

Game is really good, if only Dragon Age Origins looked like this on consoles, and Diablo if the made it for consoles. Game is awesome.

This game is awesome. I can't wait to play it with a buddy this weekend. Also, who does the VA for Totek? It sounds vaguely familiar. Like 80's Saturday-Morning-Cartoon familiar.

burgerdog said:
Leaderboard - 7870 total entries.
This game is doing awful for a SoA game.

My best friend and I didn't buy it just for the sole reason that there is no online co-op. If there was, there would have been +2 sales.

Hige

MyEpitomeCliché said:
This game is awesome. I can't wait to play it with a buddy this weekend. Also, who does the VA for Totek? It sounds vaguely familiar. Like 80's Saturday-Morning-Cartoon familiar.

It's Jim Cummings AKA Pete from Goof Troop/A Goofy Movie, and Winnie the Pooh/Tigger.

I can't take Totec seriously when he speaks. :lol

burgerdog said:

I'm not shocked, it's a Tomb Raider game and the positive reviews are not going to be read by a whole lot of people. Really hope sales pick up through word as mouth as the game's been great so far.

Also guess I'll need to spend some spacebucks on Hydrothunder as I've unwittingly bought every other title in a surprisingly good SoA. It was the Summer I've been least hyped for out of the 3 so far yet the only game that's let me down has been Limbo, the only one I was looking forward to.

fernoca

burgerdog said:
Is doing around the same, not Limbo-like but from what I remember; Hydro Thunder, Castlevania and Monday Night averaged at around 10k per day. (Right now says 8,513)

Top Bottom