• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

Just finished the first level on the PC version, biggest thing that comes to mind is WOW. I was really sceptical about this game, being a long time Tomb Raider fan it just seemed like a huge deviation from what I loved to something unusual that I didn't think would work, but damn was I wrong.
It just feels so right, haven't bothered looking over the key bindings for keyboard yet so playing it with a 360 controller and everything just feels so natural and easy to do, things like jumping around using the spear and the combat. So far it's running perfectly on max settings, haven't had a single issue yet. I think it's a bargain for the price it's at, it actually worked out nicely because I had been wanting to get the Steam version of Legend but didn't really want to buy it again.
Only small gripe is that when coming out of menus and such, the cross-hair cursor appears as if I'm using my mouse, it vanishes when I touch the right analogue, but it bothers me more than it should.

aristotle

Damn it I signed up and missed it :-(

I just wanted to play the PS3 demo. Argh! That's what I get for believing they'll actually send me an email. :-(

Pooya

aristotle said:
Damn it I signed up and missed it :-(

I just wanted to play the PS3 demo. Argh! That's what I get for believing they'll actually send me an email. :-(
EDIT: PM sent.

Zapages

I was expecting the demo and got the full game. This is really awesome of Gamespot or a huge screw up by Gamespot.

Anyway I will play the game this weekend. :)

So this giveaway is over? I didn't enter because I didn't want to go through the hassle of signing up to gamespot, and today I found out that I already have an account but now it's too late. Really would've loved to try the PS3 demo with all the hype it's getting.

Oh well.

protonion

So I used my psn eu code and got the trial but not the key (I feel robbed!). The thing is I cannot purchase it. When I try, I get an error massage (8001123 I think). It is not up I assume...

The game is amazing.It took me 27 minutes to complete the demo level. I took my time finding all the items. I love the optional challenge rooms. The combat is ok, though I hope the game is more about platforming and puzzles. The demo level had a perfect balance,I hope it stays that way.

pyros said:
Didn"t know anything about this game until this thread, got the steam version

Capture-1.jpg

hope Legend is good

Hmm. I wasn't paying attention to this, I thought I was downloading Guardian of Light. Looking at it now, 7 gigs seems quite a bit for what was an Arcade title. Was it the same size for the 360 version?

Firebrand

pyros said:
hope Legend is good

It is. Perhaps too much shooting dudes at times, but didn't mind the radio chatter at all.

Small suggestion: Leave "next-gen content" option off. It looks awful and performance is terrible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
hamchan said:
So, after playing a couple of levels of this game, it looks like Amir0x is right. Game is awesome.

That it is. I wasn't a believer and thought it deviated from the series too much. OH HOW WRONG I WAS. Shit's fucking fun, man.

Mr.Green

burgerdog said:
We can finally appreciate the texture detail, and you can even see the gun model clearly now, they were just little pixelated blobs on consoles.
I'm glad it makes it worth playing for you now.

And thanks for the fucking horizontal scrollbar.

TripOpt55

Man, this is pissing me off. I redownloaded the whole thing and still no trophies. I turned the system off and on a few times. I tried redownloading the key a few times. I don't even care about trophies that much, but I just feel like they should be there. As a big TR fan waiting for the PS3 version was bad enough and now I can't get it to work right. I'm just frustrated. Not sure what else to do.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
derFeef said:
Wait, it´s available to everyone now or did you have a code?
They pushed up the release date.

TripOpt55 said:
Man, this is pissing me off. I redownloaded the whole thing and still no trophies. I turned the system off and on a few times. I tried redownloading the key a few times. I don't even care about trophies that much, but I just feel like they should be there. As a big TR fan waiting for the PS3 version was bad enough and now I can't get it to work right. I'm just frustrated. Not sure what else to do.
That sucks. Have you tried launching it with a new XMB user account? Not sure if that will work, but give it a try.

Vorg

Banned
TripOpt55 said:

The game doesn't really need trophies/achievements in my opinion. Each level has a set of challenges to complete that reward you with items. Just think of them as trophies :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TripOpt55 said:
Wait, can you buy and play the full game on PS3 now? Or did you just do the Gamespot code thing to get the full game for free?

Fitz

Firebrand said:
Small suggestion: Leave "next-gen content" option off. It looks awful and performance is terrible.

Really? I thought the game looked much nicer with next-gen on, can't say much about the performance though as I never went below 60fps with everything max'ed. Only thing is that it crashes the game during the two snow levels when you've got it on.

Synless

TripOpt55 said:
You got the full game for free, I wouldn't complain if I were you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Colkate said:
Really? I thought the game looked much nicer with next-gen on, can't say much about the performance though as I never went below 60fps with everything max'ed. Only thing is that it crashes the game during the two snow levels when you've got it on.
Her fingers clip through ledges a lot IIRC. That maybe the the non-next-gen mode though. I know the non-next-gen mode has serious issues with rope alignment.
Synless said:
You got the full game for free, I wouldn't complain if I were you.
See, that's what I assumed and I wondered why a Tomb Raider fan would try to get the game for free when any regular fan would pay up to support a series they love. Also, I just couldn't believe that someone would bitch about trophies on a product they didn't pay for.

TripOpt55 said:
Did you delete the savedata? Manually sync trophies? Did you try to fulfill the requirements of a trophy, maybe then they'll pop up?

I really have no idea what's going on there, just throwing some ideas out there. If nothing works try contacting Sony, I know they helped with trophy related issues in the past. (Glitched trophies not unlocking etc.)

TripOpt55

Meh. I was prepared to buy the game. I just signed up for the demo days ago so I could unlock the full game early. Didn't expect the free game mishap. Not sure why my game shouldn't have trophies just because I took the key. Especially since a bunch of others do.

Oh well. I guess I'll just play it through. Just thought I'd be able to get the trophies to work first.

Edit: Yeah you guys are right. Kind of silly to complain. Just thought I could get them to work and couldn't figure out what was wrong. That's all.

burgerdog

Mr.Green said:
I'm glad it makes it worth playing for you now.

And thanks for the fucking horizontal scrollbar.
Easy there, champ, I've already enjoyed the sub hd 360 version and loved every second of it.

Oh, and no problem!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Even though it says "Pre-purchase Guardian of Light" on the Steam store, if you purchase it, you can play the full game right now?

Has anyone done this without using a Gamespot code?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
FlyinJ said:
Even though it says "Pre-purchase Guardian of Light" on the Steam store, if you purchase it, you can play the full game right now?
No, it comes out the 28th. Steam forgot to update the page until just now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This game is turning out to be as good as advertised. For a "little" downloadable game, it has some really impressive production values. I can't wait to try this online with a friend. When is that patch supposed to be up?

Killthee

LiquidMetal14 said:
This game is turning out to be as good as advertised. For a "little" downloadable game, it has some really impressive production values. I can't wait to try this online with a friend. When is that patch supposed to be up?
28th for 360 version. I don't think they've given a date for PC/PS3.

Baha

Killthee said:
28th for 360 version. I don't think they've given a date for PC/PS3.

The steam store page for Lara Croft mentions online co-op so I think it'll be available on release as well.

TripOpt55

Played the second level. Really cool and a lot less linear than the first. Some really neat stuff going on and lots of stuff to collect. Really fun so far. Looking forward to playing more.

Lumine

So uhh... people who used some code to get it for free are already playing it while people who actually paid for it will have to wait 'till the 28th? :S

Oh well, I guess I'll play some Legend then.

GWX

Just played the Steam demo and... Wow, this game is great. Also, it looks really good and runs really well: Q6600 Stock + GTS250 512MB @ max settings + 4xMSAA/8xAF + 1440x900 and I get 45~60fps.
I'll buy it as soon as I can.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally played the demo, I just went ahead and deleted some some on my HDD to make space. It was the 360 version, so maybe it belongs in the real thread (not Amirock's nut busting thread) but whatever.

It was pretty good. I really liked platforming with the spear and grappling hook, but are simple concepts but work really well. It looks good for a DD game, the art is solid. The combat was a little 'meh' and it seems like it might get repetitive after awhile but overall I enjoyed it. I made it until the end of the trail and didn't want to stop, so I'll purchase it sometime soon.

Killthee

Lumine said:
So uhh... people who used some code to get it for free are already playing it while people who actually paid for it will have to wait 'till the 28th? :S

Oh well, I guess I'll play some Legend then.
The GS steam demo code giveaway is still up, get one from there or I can P.M. you a steam demo code if you want. It should unlock the full game since you've already purchased it.
aristotle said:
It's a 404 page now and not everyone who signed up and got a spot for the demo actually got a code. I know I didn't.
I didn't realize they had pulled the page : (

Tried the PS3 demo and thought it was pretty good but I was disappointed with many (little) things : presentation is meh, I don't like the shooting controls, fading screens break the pacing, voice acting is terrible and /facepalm at subtitles scrolling from bottom to top (no but seriously what kind of sick mind came up with that ?!?).

Biggest complaint is the inability to zoom in (or am I missing something ?) : everything looks ridiculously small.

Gameplay feels really solid though and I can see there's probably loads of fun to be had especially in co-op. Real bummer that they pushed back what seems like a core part of the game. Will most probably purchase the full version when the full featured game is released (that's what, a month from now ?).

Heavy Rain's still my GOTY ;)

kai3345

Banned
BaronLundi said:
Tried the PS3 demo and thought it was pretty good but I was disappointed with many (little) things : presentation is meh, I don't like the shooting controls, fading screens break the pacing, voice acting is terrible and /facepalm at subtitles scrolling from bottom to top (no but seriously what kind of sick mind came up with that ?!?).

Biggest complaint is the inability to zoom in (or am I missing something ?) : everything looks ridiculously small.

Gameplay feels really solid though and I can see there's probably loads of fun to be had especially in co-op. Real bummer that they pushed back what seems like a core part of the game. Will most probably purchase the full version when the full featured game is released (that's what, a month from now ?).

Heavy Rain's still my GOTY ;)
I was under the impression that they were doing online the day the PS3 and PC versions released

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BaronLundi said:

That's because it's isometric. Never played anything in that style before? You're not meant to be super-seriously close to the action.

PC version looks fantastic, and the keyboard controls aint that bad too.

What a shame that online co-op isn't being implemented on launch though. But I'm still buying it. I think it's even better than Trine!

TheSeks said:
That's because it's isometric. Never played anything in that style before? You're not meant to be super-seriously close to the action.

Yeah, I don't think a zoom in feature should be necessary but the action did look too far away for comfort, at least on my 42" (I did play a shitload of games with isometric view, although only marble madness and Zaxxon come to mind - yes I'm old - maybe it's just a problem with my eyes after all :D - edit : hmmm, yes, diablo).

I'll see how it turns out on the long run but it did bother me quite a bit when I tried the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom