• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm04

The irony is I didn't even want the PS3 code and meant to get the PC demo instead. I guess in the end it works out for me. But I bought it on Steam anyway and getting Tomb Raider: Legend out of it is a nice little bonus. So +1 sales.

Killthee said:
http://img.skitch.com/20100922-ta8qtsu1q6pu36m21knkduwqgp.jpg[/IM]

That's the download key, make sure you install it.[/QUOTE]

I did that. It was mostly the trophies that were throwing me off and I had to reset the system for them to appear. Thanks.

game looks good and plays like a dream-- not one control issue, and the gameplay overall is very addictive and I really love view. since I haven't been a fan of any of the older Tomb Raider games, so far this one is by far my favorite :lol

Well that's a rather large fuck up. It's funny though, normally when Gamespot gives out codes for stuff I get an email with the code at some point, but I didn't get one this time so I figured I'd just write down the code so I could redeem it later. Good thing I guess.

burgerdog

Datwheezy said:
To someone who had played the 360 version, about how long did your first play-through take?

Hm, around 6-8 hours. When it was all said and done I think I clocked around 25 hours. Getting all the artifacts/relics took a while and speed runs are just addicting. I haven't even played coop yet!

The framerate on the ps3 version seems a bit worse than the 360 version, maybe it's a bit higher res.

Owzers

*reads thread on about early access to Lara Croft demo*

*gets code from Gamespot*

*eats sandwhich*

*plays bad company 2*

*reads another thread about it being the full game activation as well*

O_______O

slowly downloading it now for psn.

Hmm, can't get the trophies to install, downloaded the demo, installed the unlock key started the game up and then quit and nothing. Reset the system, started the game up then quit again and still nothing.

pyros

Didn"t know anything about this game until this thread, got the steam version

Capture-1.jpg

hope Legend is good

xtwo

rainking187 said:
Hmm, can't get the trophies to install, downloaded the demo, installed the unlock key started the game up and then quit and nothing. Reset the system, started the game up then quit again and still nothing.

same thing for me too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some quick thoughts about the PS3 version, mostly on technical aspect

- The game is almost certainly running in sub-hd. Or for some other reason has that blurry look to it. The visuals also have the clean style to them which doesn't help with this. If it was using some filters and post processing effects the lower resolution/blurryness wouldn't stand out as much.
- Seems like it's running at a constant 25FPS, with some drops here and there on top of that.
- You use R2 to shoot, which I don't mind, but I know some people won't like. I didn't see that you can configure controls either.
- Controls and animation seem kinda unpolished to me. There's not much sophistication to either, and this definitely gives the game a bit of a low budget feel, same goes for camera movements and presentation in general really.

All that said, it still seems very fun to play, and I've only just started. I definitely like the spear jumping and grapple hook mechanics. Technical issues are pretty easy to ignore as they don't really hinder gameplay in any way, but it's kind of a shame when I remember that we had such great looking isometric games on PS2 that were running at perfect 60FPS (BG: DA and Champions of Norrath games)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WOW. This totally came out of left-field for me. I was buying it mostly because I'm a Tomb Raider fan (for better or worse), so it was under my radar but it really is fun. I'm playing it singleplayer (don't have anyone to local co-op it with. Come on Eidos/Square and release the co-op PS3 patch!), but so far it's pretty fun. I'm really digging the variety of objectives in the levels. You do these objectives and you power Lara/the ancient co-op dude up.

I do feel that people should buy this game if they don't get it for free from screw-ups like I did. I have to say, it translates the Lara platforming from the third person series into a "Diablo"/isometric perspective pretty damn well. The only issue I've had is with the grapple hook and trying to "swing-jump" that's been prevalent in the CD series.

I'm not as jazzed as Amir0x is and going into hyperbole, but man: GAF should buy this game and recommend it to people. People should at least give the demo (smart move by Edios/Square and CD) on their 360/PS3/PC a try. It can't hurt to see if you'll enjoy it. Because it's very different from the standard Tomb Raider game.

xtwo said:
same thing for me too.

I had no problems with the trophy data installing. Try downloading the key first/while the demo is background downloading (you'll have to delete the game and redownload, sorry), because I installed the game after going this way and I haven't had issues and the trophy data installed on first booting it.

hope Legend is good

Legend is great. It's really a nice first-start to CD's reboot. I really really need to sit down and finish Anniversary's last few levels/act, but I just can't sit down and game on my 360 anymore. :(

That said, I still need to buy Underworld on PS3.

I just hope CD takes to heart that they shouldn't hold DLC/content hostage on certain platforms as there is fans on multiple platforms.

And I hope they continue this DD/mini-series as it's very fun. I don't want them to milk it year-over-year, but if they have a new idea or some gimmick or story that better fits this mold, I'm game.

Synless

Lord Error said:
Some quick thoughts about the PS3 version, mostly on technical aspect

- The game is almost certainly running in sub-hd. Or for some other reason has that blurry look to it. The game also has that 'clean' style to it's visuals which doesn't help with this. If it was using some filters and post processing effects the lower resolution wouldn't stand out as much.
- Seems like it's running at a constant 25FPS, with some drops here and there on top of that.
- You use R2 to shoot, which I don't mind, but I know some people won't like. Controls don't seem to be configurable either.
- Controls and animation seem kinda unpolished to me. There's not much sophistication to either, and this definitely gives the game a bit of a low budget feel, same goes for camera movements and presentation in general really.

All that said, it still seems very fun to play, and I've only just started. I definitely like the spear jumping and grapple hook mechanics. Technical issues are pretty easy to ignore as they don't really hinder gameplay in any way, but it's kind of a shame when I remember that we had such great looking isometric games on PS2 that were running at perfect 60FPS (BG: DA and Champions of Norrath games)
First two things I noticed as well was the sub-hd (same as the 360 version) and the lower framerate studdering.

quick question on the pc version...I have the demo installed, and there is the option to purchase. Just want to confirm that if I purchase it from my Steam library that the game will unlock instantly, and will not be a pre-order which unlocks on the 28th

TheSeks

MikeE21286 said:
quick question on the pc version...I have the demo installed, and there is the option to purchase. Just want to confirm that if I purchase it from my Steam library that the game will unlock instantly, and will not be a pre-order which unlocks on the 28th

If you used the Gamespot code, it should be the former and not the latter. But I can't say. Not a PC gamer, sorry.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
If you used the Gamespot code, it should be the former and not the latter. But I can't say. Not a PC gamer, sorry.
Nope, you are right, that's how it worked for me on Steam. Was gifted the game and then entered my demo code.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Played the demo no Steam, played great, and looked great!

Will play co-op on PS3, but shame I won't have those nice visuals.
I'll end up buying the PC version for solo play.

pyros

Baha said:
Played the 1st level of the PC version, so damn beautiful :D .

how did you manage to do that, mine is still locked

edit: oh demo, sorry, ok will try killthee, thanks

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TripOpt55 said:
Trophies won't show up for me. Anything I can do to get them to show up.
Try rebooting the system. If that doesn't work try redownloading the key.

Killthee

pyros said:
how did you manage to do that, mine is still locked
If you use a Gamespot code to unlock the demo and then buy the game it unlocks it on the spot. Try redeeming this code and see if it unlocks: AME2E-ELKRM-A6I4E-3M2L7-3VIJG

dallow_bg said:
Played the demo no Steam, played great, and looked great!

Will play co-op on PS3, but shame I won't have those nice visuals.
I'll end up buying the PC version for solo play.

Does anybody know how keyboard controls are for this? Don't have 360 controllers.

TripOpt55

Killthee said:
Try rebooting the system. If that doesn't work try redownloading the key.
Damn, I tried both of those and no luck. But when I first got it I didn't really think about the trophies and played the first level. Then noticed they weren't showing up. Do you think I should have to delete my save data or something for them to install? Not sure why this would help.

Baha

Discotheque said:
Does anybody know how keyboard controls are for this? Don't have 360 controllers.

Definitely remap the controls before you play, the default mappings are questionable at best (caps lock for setting bombs & alt for grabbing objects). Other than that it's definitely playable with mouse & kb.

Killthee

TripOpt55 said:
Damn, I tried both of those and no luck. But when I first got it I didn't really think about the trophies and played the first level. Then noticed they weren't showing up. Do you think I should have to delete my save data or something for them to install? Not sure why this would help.
Not sure.

Try that and if that doesn't work you might have to delete the whole game and redownload it : /

vazel

Banned
TripOpt55 said:
Trophies didn't show up for me at first either and I completed the first level. Then I quit the game and restarted the game without rebooting the system and the trophies installed. Try restarting the game a few times and see if you get the trophies installing screen.

Baha said:
Definitely remap the controls before you play, the default mappings are questionable at best (caps lock for setting bombs & alt for grabbing objects). Other than that it's definitely playable with mouse & kb.

Cheers. I was hoping it wouldn't be a disaster to play on PC. Sounds dope.

TripOpt55

Well thanks for the advice guys. Nothing has worked for me. I guess I will delete the thing and redownload it. I'm just worried this won't help either. So, I download the demo and then go and download the key after the demo is installed? Is that how I should do it?

So yeah, got the free game on my triple but still plan on purchasing on PC for the superior visuals

Still crazy screw up though. Couldn't believe it when I saw that Unlock file in my DL que...

TheSeks

TripOpt55 said:
Well thanks for the advice guys. Nothing has worked for me. I guess I will delete the thing and redownload it. I'm just worried this won't help either. So, I download the demo and then go and download the key after the demo is installed? Is that how I should do it?

That's how it should work. But try it my way. Background download start the demo. Download the full game unlock during this. After the background download finishes, install the demo.

Try to earn a trophy/see if the pack installs. It should do it with no issues. It didn't for me.

That said, if it's an issue for those of us that got it for free, it seems PSN/Sony will have to delay it again to get it to install with no issues for people. (Sucks for those people to have to wait AGAIN when it was pushed back from this week)

TripOpt55

TheSeks said:
That's how it should work. But try it my way. Background download start the demo. Download the full game unlock during this. After the background download finishes, install the demo.

Try to earn a trophy/see if the pack installs. It should do it with no issues. It didn't for me.

That said, if it's an issue for those of us that got it for free, it seems PSN/Sony will have to delay it again to get it to install with no issues for people. (Sucks for those people to have to wait AGAIN when it was pushed back from this week)
I did it the way bolded above when I first downloaded so I was thinking the other way might work better. Weird thing is I had the money all ready on my account to buy it and just play this all night, but then the unlock code came up. I went for it and now this whole trophy thing is just bugging me... haha. Oh well, I think I'll call it a night and try the whole delete and redownload thing tomorrow. The wait for this was a killer so this kind of sucks.

Just one more thing. When should the trophies install? I would assume upon starting up the game, but I don't know what the hell is going on now.

vazel

Banned
TripOpt55 said:
I did it the way bolded above when I first downloaded so I was thinking the other way might work better. Weird thing is I had the money all ready on my account to buy it and just play this all night, but then the unlock code came up. I went for it and now this whole trophy thing is just bugging me... haha. Oh well, I think I'll call it a night and try the whole delete and redownload thing tomorrow. The wait for this was a killer so this kind of sucks.

Just one more thing. When should the trophies install? I would assume upon starting up the game, but I don't know what the hell is going on now.
When you start the game you should get an XMB screen with a progress bar that tells you it's installing trophies. It's the same kind of screen you get when installing patches.

burgerdog

Gribbix said:
I had the same problem. It was fixed after I restarted Steam.

Great, was worried it was a bug. Two more shots and the last I'll post in this thread before I go over to the PC screenshot thread.

Look at how far back the ripple goes, all the way to the right of the screen.
lara32ir0.jpg

We can finally appreciate the texture detail, and you can even see the gun model clearly now, they were just little pixelated blobs on consoles.
lara4gibk.jpg

Gribbix

burgerdog said:
Great, was worried it was a bug.
It should be noted that you'll still have to earn those achievements again. You won't actually unlock the achievements you should have earned just by restarting Steam.

burgerdog

Gribbix said:
It should be noted that you'll still have to earn those achievements again. You won't actually unlock the achievements you should have earned just by restarting Steam.

Not a problem! I got them all on 360 and they're still somewhat fresh on my mind so they'll be super easy to get this time around.

TheSeks

TripOpt55 said:

They'll install on boot-up. But I didn't see a progress bar. Check the in-game XMB to see if "LC&tGoL" title/trophy data is there. If it is, the trophies are installed and can be unlocked. If not, your pack isn't installed and you'll have to flounder about getting it to work. :/

Try it the proper (download the demo first, don't download the unlocker. Download unlocker after installing the game and booting it once) way, then. Weird that my way didn't work. It worked fine for me. :/

TripOpt55

vazel said:
When you start the game you should get an XMB screen with a progress bar that tells you it's installing trophies. It's the same kind of screen you get when installing patches.
Alright cool. That's what I figured as I'd had a few games do that, but figured I'd ask to be sure this wasn't different. Okay thanks for helping out. Hopefully I can solve this issue tomorrow.
TheSeks said:
They'll install on boot-up. But I didn't see a progress bar. Check the in-game XMB to see if "LC&tGoL" title/trophy data is there. If it is, the trophies are installed and can be unlocked. If not, your pack isn't installed and you'll have to flounder about getting it to work. :/

Try it the proper (download the demo first, don't download the unlocker. Download unlocker after installing the game and booting it once) way, then. Weird that my way didn't work. It worked fine for me. :/
Yeah I checked the in-game XMB to see if the trophies showed but no dice. Again thanks for the advice. Not sure where mine went wrong. I'll try again tomorrow.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone have tech-problems with the PC version? When I've tried the demo yesterday every movie (intro and opening) froze and the only solution was to minimize and then maximize game to skip movies; also, at one point the game even crashed :(

Other than that, it was great. Really enjoyed it. Fast paced arcade puzzle-platformer with lots of collectibles and challenges. Shame that there's no online co-op yet.

Estival

TripOpt55 said:
Alright cool. That's what I figured as I'd had a few games do that, but figured I'd ask to be sure this wasn't different. Okay thanks for helping out. Hopefully I can solve this issue tomorrow.

Yeah I checked the in-game XMB to see if the trophies showed but no dice. Again thanks for the advice. Not sure where mine went wrong. I'll try again tomorrow.
Same happened to me. I tried restarting the game, restarting the console, etc. Nothing worked until I just redownloaded the unlock key and then it was fine.

derFeef

Whoever has not snatched a PS3 demo code yet, or does not want to register to Gamespot, shoot me a PM.

edit: and gone ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom