• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Sober

make-shift splints, hunting for food, herbal remedies, etc could have filled have done the job. Something along the lines of Alone in the Dark/MGS3 would have made sense and fit into the supposed survival gameplay that the game is said to contain. So far it looks like they really mucked this whole thing up.
Now that you mention it, I feel more depressed thinking about it.

Guess all those splints and stuff in promotional shots are all plot-based.

TripOpt55

This was mentioned a long while back. It is definitely disappointing. TR is one of the few series I actually like the underwater/swimming portions in. It would have been cool if you did a swan dive by the end of the game or something. Could have been a cool moment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The way the needle swings from OMG SO AWESOME during its first reveal to WTF WHY YOU DO THIS DEVELOPERS lately for this game is truly a sight to behold.

falconzss

The game's length is the only reassuring information. Lara not being able to swim is crazy.

Edit: Lara using a floating tire confirmed
(must purchase as DLC)

UrbanRats

A Tomb Raider where you can't swim, is like a GTA where you can't shoot.

I remember the most mindblowing thing (when i was a kid) from TR1 was the ability to swim freely underwater.

Fuck this.

The game will be a "trainwreck" because she can't swim? Slight overreaction.

Overreaction? More like the result of critical thinking. If she can't swim, it's obvious there are other gameplay decisions like this that are in the game too. This game is going to be such a heavily directed, linear experience, it might as well be on rails.

xenist

I hate swimming sections with a hate hotter than 10000 suns, so these are great news. As for regenerating health, it is a sad reality of this generation. One that we made true by buying into it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The inability to swim is something I can begrudgingly tolerate, but health being regenerative is patently ridiculous considering the game is supposed to be stressing the survival of a stranger in a strange land aspect.

Whatever. It is not like the swim sequences were all that fun in previous games. Sometimes they were pretty and interesting exploring but it is not much fun in the way of a game.

-Winnie-

Health regen is an odd choice considering the survival angle. Something like the Resistance 1 system with blocks of health that can regen would've fit this well. (Hell that system was just great and needs to come back in some form)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
http://www.onlysp.com/2012/11/25/to...ng-lara-will-have-regen-health-and-cant-swim/

How can you not swim, Lara!? You are going exploring, on a large ship, for the first time in your life, and you can't swim?! You were doomed from the outset.

If it actually is 12 - 15 hours, I'm good with that. I like lengthy games. The regenerative health is... eh, par for the course.

15 hours is lengthy now? How far we have fallen.

I hate swimming sections with a hate hotter than 10000 suns, so these are great news. As for regenerating health, it is a sad reality of this generation. One that we made true by buying into it.

There's a big difference between swimming sections and dying instantly when your skin touches water.

Bladenic

The non swimming is just beyond dumb given the setting.

But what's worse is the regen. I thought the whole point of this game was survival on an island, with Lara being inexperienced. What exactly will we be surviving, overused set pieces and QTEs?

A fucking mess. I'm not one to exaggerate but my interest level definitely dropped (even more) now. I still hope it turns out to be good.

JaseC

Health regen is an odd choice considering the survival angle. Something like the Resistance 1 system with blocks of health that can regen would've fit this well. (Hell that system was just great and needs to come back in some form)

Deus Ex: HR.

Edit: No, wait, that system applied to energy, didn't it? Oops! I suppose the basic concept did return "in some form", though. ;)

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody buy this on launch day. It will be $19.99 a few weeks after release.

Why not? I wanna support devs that make good games. Screw the haters, this game actually does look like game of the gen material.

So have we at least gotten confirmation that there are tombs? And that we can raid them?

or...

There are a wide variety of tombs to discover and explore, in the vein of the original Tomb Raider, just not in this game.

Man wasn't this game announced like back in 2010?

Yes and before that concept art and details were released when it was originally going to be a very different project. It was originally about lara marooned on a Japenese island that she could explore. The island was inhabitad by strange creatures from japenese folklore. It was open world with metroidvania elements and it would have had a survival horror slant.

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Then somewhere along the way they decided to just make an uncharted clone

MormaPope

Banned
Oh my god, what if whenever you start going into a large body of water Lara gets post traumatic stress disorder due to her being shipwrecked at the beginning of the game. Like, when you're just about to go into the water the screen goes black and she faints and wakes up farther away from the water.

Count on that shit being in the game.

JaseC

Yes and before that concept art and details were released when it was originally going to be a very different project. It was originally about lara marooned on a Japenese island that she could explore. The island was inhabitad by strange creatures from japenese folklore. It was open world with metroidvania elements and it would have had a survival horror slant.

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

ZVsDO.jpg

kunonabi

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

....I would have loved that.

Shinta

Banned
Which makes sense, considering she's shipwrecked on AN ISLAND.

Why do you automatically swim on an island? The game starts with her finding refuge on the island because swimming in the middle of the ocean is a bad idea if you want to live.
Looks kind of ridiculous honestly.

No swimming isn't a big deal at all, but the health regen... isn't this game supposed to be all about survival? Having a bandage/health kit mechanic seems like a rather obvious shoe-in...

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Wow, seriously? That would have been pretty cool.

Foffy

Banned
No swimming isn't a big deal at all, but the health regen... isn't this game supposed to be all about survival? Having a bandage/health kit mechanic seems like a rather obvious shoe-in...

Maybe the SURVIVAL mechanic is just really beating each little thing. You know, just a poor plot idea and not something heavily woven into the gameplay. I've seen nothing from footage that ever implied the game would actually have surviving as a gameplay mechanic, but maybe a plot focus at best. Maybe PR was really, really good at fluff?

G-Fex

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

And they thought bloody cut up teenager lara who can't swim was a better idea?

Maybe the SURVIVAL mechanic is just really beating each little thing. You know, just a poor plot idea and not something heavily woven into the gameplay. I've seen nothing from footage that ever implied the game would actually have surviving as a gameplay mechanic, but maybe a plot focus at best. Maybe PR was really, really good at fluff?

They made a big deal about hunting at E3. But maybe they just do that once at the beginning of the game for story reasons... :/

Shinta

Banned
They made a big deal about hunting at E3. But maybe they just do that once at the beginning of the game for story reasons... :/

They've talked about hunting, ammo collection, campfires, and leveling up. They haven't really shown much besides the very beginning of the game.

Xenon

It's a prequel, she just hasn't learned how to swim yet. I bet her mansion at the time didn't even have a pool or a gymnasium.

Top Bottom