• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara looks a bit off......

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I got the game yesterday, and I loved both previous TR games this was seems to be great as well. But, Lara looks off. I know a new studio is handling it but her character model (specifically her face and speaking animation) looks strange. Almost Mass Effect Andromeda strange. Here is a comparison pic and link to a video showing the differences:

What happened?

Change of developers most likely since Eidos Montreal handle Shadow of the Tomb Raider whereas Crystal Dynamics hand the previous two games.

Larxia

She started to look off when the "remaster" of the first one (2013) came out on ps4 / xbox, with a more anime-ish design, then it changed again in rise, and now it changes again in shadow, it's just like that, they change her face in each game for some reason.

VulcanRaven

She started to look off when the "remaster" of the first one (2013) came out on ps4 / xbox, with a more anime-ish design, then it changed again in rise, and now it changes again in shadow, it's just like that, they change her face in each game for some reason.
I agree with this. Lara looked great in the 2013 reboot so I didn't like how they changed her in the remaster. I think she looks better in this than she did in Rise.

Last edited:

Inuteu

the Reboot Lara was the best

caa2513c3255c0ce132787aed1466d15.jpg

Since they started to change to look more like the voice actress, it only got worst

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Her face seems more round now and less narrow. I don't get it. Other characters look more detailed in the face...like Jacob.

The overall graphical quality seems worse too. Watch that video.

But, the game seems really good though. That's all that matters really.

kunonabi

Her head doesnt seem to go with her body and her facial expressions are extremely odd to boot. It might be the worst shes ever looked.

renzolama

Everybody talking about Lara but Jonah is the one that's actually crazy. He looks hawaiian / samoan in the first game, then african american in second, now fully asian in Shadow? It's bizarre.

She is still attractive, but her face is more rounder and almost fatter looking in the later games after tr2013. I’ve always noticed this in rotr and wonder why they change her face. I think they should of stuck with the more slender face and design from tr2013 because that was my favorite face.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
the Reboot Lara was the best

caa2513c3255c0ce132787aed1466d15.jpg

Since they started to change to look more like the voice actress, it only got worst

This is my favorite one too. In the new game they made her face look a lot more rounder. I wish they would have stuck with the original reboot model.

plushyp

Rise and Shadow face really does have something strange about it after the TR13 remaster face. Maybe it is the wider jaw/chin?

maxresdefault.jpg

19242.jpg

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-first-15-0.jpg

onlyoneno1

Characters always change a bit in every sequel in every game. This one has a different developer so the changes are bound to be more noticeable. But nothing close to ME Andromeda. The game looks and plays very well.

Caayn

Her model actually changes corresponding to the skin you select. If you select the TR2013 skin you'll get that model, if you select the TR2 skin you'll play with that model, etc.

Pretty cool touch if you ask me.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Her model actually changes corresponding to the skin you select. If you select the TR2013 skin you'll get that model, if you select the TR2 skin you'll play with that model, etc.

Pretty cool touch if you ask me.

Is that an option on the console version?

CatCouch

I really don't like her new look. I switched to the survivor outfit which changes her character model to the 2013 game and it looks much better. Big thumbs up for that!

I'm playing on PS4 and I got a notification the outfits from previous games were unlocked because I had save data for them, I think.

I really don't like her new look. I switched to the survivor outfit which changes her character model to the 2013 game and it looks much better. Big thumbs up for that!

I'm playing on PS4 and I got a notification the outfits from previous games were unlocked because I had save data for them, I think.

So, they put in different models based on the outfit you chose? Nice touch.

Isn't this the one where they gave her a huge ass or are those gifs edited or did she just always have a fatty and I didn't realize?

Zeusexy

Shadow of the feminists.
Lara looks objectively worse and the costumes too because being attractive and showing some skin is illegal now.
I wonder when this shit trend will finally get out of videogames. I'm so fucking sick of it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Definitely a downgrade IMO. I am afraid to see what it plays like now. The two previous games are pretty high on my list of favorite games of all time.

KonradLaw

I like Shadow's Lara model more than Rise, but less than reboot. I must say, I do kind of enjoy the buffiness of new Lara.

Last edited:

sertopico

She looks exactly as the little girl in the RTX on/off meme, which is not a compliment. Derpy is the right word.

Top Bottom