• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laser eye surgery

4000 for mine. Still hard to believe I don't need to put on glasses when I wake up.

They did 7 in a row the day I was in. Actual procedure was maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.

Also, they give you Valium.

Enjay

Banned
Not worth it plus the surgery might not even take and you could end up needing glasses again anyway.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I think I posted weeks ago but it needs said again. Changed my life. For real best thing I ever did. Been 3 years. A friends didn't take so they had to do it again. It was free second time and he is happy as Era while destroying a straight white mans life.

mcjmetroid

Highly recommend it. It's changed my life for the better.

I would do a little research into reviews of different practices though.
I went with a company called optilase and although the procedure went well overall how you were treated during that time was awful. It was like a cattle mart waiting room waiting to have your eyes done.

Valonquar

I had lasik about 8 years ago now. I highly recommend it to anyone that is a candidate. Zero complications, zero side effects and I went from 70/80 to 15/15. The day of the surgery itself is surreal as fuck taking a horsepill sized vallium and then watching a blurry red smear sharpen down to a fine dot as a laser corrects your vision. A day of sleep with eye patches followed by a week wearing granny shades. They give you some eyedrops that prevent infection that were a mild discomfort, but that's the worst of it. I was back at work 2 days after the surgery.

8 years later and my vision is still great.

What is the success rate?
For them they were at like a 94% complete success I believe. And when it wasn't a complete success it was a partial in that their eyesight improved but not as much as they were expecting. They also primarily did the work on people over the age of 60, and I have no idea, but I'd presume the younger you are that the success rate would be even higher.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Got LASIK done 15+ years ago, in and out in under an hour and still have 20/20 to this day. It made a HUGE difference for me, a lot more than I expected.

It all depends on what's wrong with your eyes. Different issues will need different procedures, and some are more effective with less side effects than others.

But my wife used to work at an eye doctor and she said they'd have a lot of older people come in with cataracts, scar tissue, or other issues they believe were from the laser surgery, but I think that was from the really early stuff. I think the science is far enough along now and the studies have had enough time to gather long-term results that you should be ok (assuming no weird shit goes down).

undrtakr900

I'm saving up for Lasik Eye Surgery, does anyone have any recommendation for doctors/companies (in California) that do Lasik? Or for those that got Lasik, where did you get your procedure done?

Corrik

I feel like I got scammed when I went to do my Lasik.

There was a Groupon for it to get it done fully for like 2k off. I go after my Dr says I would be a perfect candidate for it, they say I am a perfect candidate via their testing, and sit down to explain the costs.

They come out to some like $4300 cost. I mention the Groupon and they seem a bit flustered but then put on a good show being all charismatic regarding it. Give me the new $2300 price for it. Then ask me if I wanna do this cleansing thing for $100 which supposedly is good to do before the operation. (So I did it). Set me up with prescriptions and send me home with a date to come back for the test.

Come back the day on the meds they said and missed work for it. Had someone drive me out cuz you can't drive supposedly when doing it. Then they say I am not a good candidate and the doctor refuses to do the operation and send me home.

I am pretty sure they didn't wanna honor my Groupon and bait and switched me with the $100 cleanse thing. My doctor said he doesn't see why I wouldn't be a good candidate. That has annoyed me to this day.

I guess moral of the story is be careful.

Top Bottom