• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

last game you gave up on

Mad Max. I gave it quite a bit of time, but everything was just so Ubisofty. The world was a pretty faithful recreation, and I enjoyed it, but everything just felt bland and uninspired in execution.

Very few. I force myself through even games I don't love, because it will drive me crazy if I don't.

I used to finish everything I started when I was younger for the most part, but there's just too many great games to waste your time with ones that are obviously never going to be special to you imo. I'll give everything a fair shake though. I don't drop anything until I'm sure that I've seen what it has to offer and have decided it's just not going to be worth my time against the backdrop of what I might find out there that will really excite me.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Probably Horizon Zero Dawn.
Maybe not gave up on but shelved for a while.
The main story is pretty good but the game world and open world busy work feels so dull.
I'm just happy I got it for cheap

Bankai

Super Metroid. I really don't understand why this game is so considered one of the best ever. Tedious controls, annoying-as-hell backtracking, meh music and it just didn't grab me at all. Played a couple of hours, I'll might finish it one day - but just don't feel like it at all.

On the verge of giving up on Dishonored 2. Because of its terrible performance, even on a RTX 2080 Ti. It feels sluggish and there is this nasty movement effect which makes me dizzy.

A shame.

iconmaster

Banned
Super Metroid. I really don't understand why this game is so considered one of the best ever. Tedious controls, annoying-as-hell backtracking, meh music and it just didn't grab me at all. Played a couple of hours, I'll might finish it one day - but just don't feel like it at all.

I just had a second tongue grafted in so I could bite both simultaneously.

For me it was Octopath Traveller. I think it's actually a really neat game! I just hit a hard boss and bounced off rather than grind for XP.

Vol5

Control. Almost finished it I think. Just got a bit side lined with Metro Exodus and Gears 5. I doubt I'll go back.

GHG

Control. Almost finished it I think. Just got a bit side lined with Metro Exodus and Gears 5. I doubt I'll go back.

I'm in the same boat with that game... Think I got to the point where I was about to get the final ability but fell off it.

I can't pinpoint why really. I had fun with it but it got repetitive and stopped grabbing me as much as it did during the initial few hours.

Might go back, might not. Not really fussed.

Put another down for Sekiro. Made it up to the first general boss fight (same guy as the tutorial boss) and just resigned. I deeply dislike the stagger mechanic and how blocking is, at times, the only effective means to gain the advantage.

Before that? Nioh.
Hmm, that’s a weird coincidence....

Kawika

Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Waiting for the strategy game to start but got a Boarding School/Relationship Simulator instead.

Granted: I knew this coming in but I didn't think the ratio would skew this far into the non-strategy game part.

Last edited:

AntiCap

Bravely Second. Games seem to have a low threshold for good storytelling already, but this is cringeworthy.

It's a shame, since I really liked the battle mechanics. But the dialogue is so uninspired and childish. I don't mean to say that it seems to be aimed at children; there are masterpieces that have been written for children. This game seems like it was written by children.

I entered the thread to say Hollow Knight too. Everything you said + the game isn't difficulty at all. With the exception of bosses it's near impossible to die because enemies always drop mana that can used to restore health.

Played 70-80% of it I think.
soul eater is the one who did me in, i beat his first stage then was introduced to his second stage and called bullshit, plus those flying teleporting enemies leading up to soul eater's boss room were just fucking annoying, i always ended up taking damage and had to heal myself, then when i got to soul eater himself i was always either down a hit point with no heath juice or had all hit points with no health juice, then he'd get his shots in and i was quickly disposed of because i could not heal myself quick enough

i might go back to the game one day but the more i consider it the more i realize i just wasn't having fun, the backtracking is annoying especially with vendors in only 1 part of the map, wish they had a way you could teleport between benches rather than having to use the train, or at the very least having to trains in the same area

Last edited:

Tsaki

GTA5. The story seemed boring to me and the main characters even more so. Also, the gameplay and mission design were nothing special. I dropped it halfway through the story (I think). How this game continues to sell so much is beyond me.

AntiCap

GTA5. The story seemed boring to me and the main characters even more so. Also, the gameplay and mission design were nothing special. I dropped it halfway through the story (I think). How this game continues to sell so much is beyond me.
Really? I thought the characters were fairly well done for what they were. I might just be so starved for decent story these days that anything passable will do. I will admit that the mission design had me constantly thinking the game was building to something, which never quite materialised, so I didn't realise it was disappointing except in retrospect.

To be honest, I'd say the continued sales are mostly due to the online which seems to be ridiculously popular.

Last edited:

RavageX

I'm about to quit Elex. Bought it cheap on PS4 a long while back and just now started. It's an oddly made game, it doesn't suck but it is janky. Progression also seems a bit slow, too slow for the amount of time I have to spend on a game these days.

Moved on to Greedfall.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Red Dead Redemption 2. I'll go back to it though. I just was not in the mood for a slow Cowboy simulator, micromanaging inventory, and all the minutia.

I'm considering giving up on Xenoblade, I can't beat the final boss's second form. I've sunk a good 72 hours into that game and it was an absolute blast all the way until the penultimate area (Bionis' Interior) where I had to grind for hours to beat that one insufferable boss (the disciple). I don't like grinding in JRPGs but was willing to make an exception because I really want to finish Xenoblade. However the last boss reaches levels of bullshit that make me want to watch the ending cutscenes on YouTube and move on to the next game.

The reasons I'm about to give up are:
1) You can't save your game after you decide to fight the penultimate boss (the other disciple), you have to continue all the way through to the end (thankfully the 3DS's sleep mode is a godsend and mitigates that issue)
2) The last boss summons minions that will quickly decimate your party if you don't kill them, but of course while you're busy doing so the boss hits you like a truck, it's a pick your poison situation where whichever opponent you're not targeting is going to curbstomp you with one shot moves and whatnot
3) Parties of three members suck when you're up against a tough boss, as soon as one character dies the boss targets the other characters and quickly kills them before you can revive the fallen character, so you get stuck in a situation where you're struggling to heal and revive and thus can't, y'know, attack the boss
4) I'm aware equipments and gems can make a big difference but at this point I'm not going to invest God knows how many hours to get the perfect gear

I've heard of players having an easy time against the final boss with underlevelled parties and/or optimal equipment but I can't afford the time to deep dive into all the intricacies of an already very long game. That said it's a marvellous JRPG and I'm glad I got to experience it first hand.

FF12 on Switch. I hate Vaan, and the plot is pretty dumb. While the gameplay is alright, I prefer the more direct combat of recent installments.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I put down rage 2 because something else came out and tried to get back into it the other day and just couldn't. Deleted it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played GTA5 for 30 minutes and never touched it again. I have no idea what the appeal is or maybe I grew out of it by Vice City.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Spiderman PS4. I enjoyed what I played, but then it felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer about 50% through.

theHFIC

On PS3 the one game I gave up on the quickest was God of War: Ascension during that stupid series of elevator battles at the end. To this day it is still one of the worst stages in a game I have played next to Bioshock Infinite's final battle (which I did finish after giving up on it for a long time).

On PS4, I am afraid that I may get perma-banned for saying this, but I gave up on Witcher 3. Every time I tried to do a mission I get pulled into 40 side quests and then another 40 side quests from each of those. Plus I had just finished playing Horizion Zero Dawn and The Witcher 3's character controls were horribly stiff compared to it in my opinion. I just couldn't get pulled in.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Currently it is Halo Wars 2 mission: Hold the line....countless times I just can't beat the clock, but I want to complete the mission and the game itself....even so

Tesseract

Banned
trying hard to think of something i've quit

maybe psiops back in the day on ps2

not that i wanted to, lost my save and had to return the rental

DOPE GAME

#Phonepunk#

Banned
FFXV came out nearly 3 years ago, I still haven't beaten it. I got to the Venice town and got so frustrated trying to navigate that place that I gave up.

AntiCap

FFXV came out nearly 3 years ago, I still haven't beaten it. I got to the Venice town and got so frustrated trying to navigate that place that I gave up.
I actually gave up at that point, too. Only picked it up again to show a friend how shitty I thought the game was. Ironically, I really enjoyed everything that came after that point. The narrative, tone, characterisation and certain gameplay elements improved significantly and stayed consistent til the end of the game.

ruvikx

Banned
Assassins Creed Odyssey.... got really bored.

I gave up on the ps4 version. Seriously, the combat & character movement speed makes 60 fps an absolute must. It's ugly as hell on console & 30 fps ruins the action/traversal. I've since also attempted to give-up on the pc version multiple times for other reasons (it's a dumb repetitive game, honestly, which never really surprises & is designed like a Destiny "addiction" clone - including same menu style & flashy "level increase" jingle), but I'm still playing it because I can't be bothered to install something else.

I'm now just waiting for the Medievil remake. Whatever I'm playing when that lands will get shelved for a ling time, probably permanenlty.

Spaceman292

Banned
Destiny 2. I wanted to like it because my friend really got into it but in the end I couldn't get past the cringe inducing writing and uninspired universe and enemy design.
Absolutely this. It still doesn't make sense to me that some of the most expensive games ever have such shit writing.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Assassins Creed Odyssey - shit

sekiro shadows die twice - Not because it was hard because played one you played them all.

Control - zzzzzzzzzz

Far Cry 5 - Dumb AI feels like a 2 year old is controlling them.

mekes

Pillars of Eternity.

Nothing against the game particularly, it was okay. I just wasn’t in the mood for such a long game. I’d played through a few rpg games prior to trying it out and ended up wanting to play something with a little more pace to the story.

astral chain. just returned it. made it to chapter 7, & saw no point in continuing. the game's a beautifully polished shell, containing neither heart nor soul, & the astral plane, where you spend much of your time, is as ugly an environment as i've ever seen in a video game...

Last edited:
Tacoma on XBOX game pass.
I have played and enjoyed quite a few walking simulators, but this one was terrible.

edit: oops, I should have read the OP. I didn't put any time into this at all, but I'll leave it here anyways, as I almost never say "never again" to any game.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Only two times, cause I hate giving up on games.

1) Demons Souls - Tried 4 different times over the years and I hate it. I bash my head into a wall for a few hours for no real progress and hate it every time.

2) Just Cause 3 - My nephew loves this and I tried it after getting it from PS+ and I don't get it (And I love open world games). Think I played it around 6-7 hours and just could not get into any of it.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest 11. Gave up after I got a boat and was introduced to random battles and quests that forced me to go back on forth of the water from one end of the map to the other. Considering you can avoid unnecessary battles in the rest of the game the boat became extremely annoying especially when each new quest just happens to be on the other side of the world. Not to mention there is one character on my team who is just super annoying who I cannot get rid of. I was really enjoying the game up until then.
You can also avoid combat in sea later on.
IMO these seem like very trivial reasons to quit a game that otherwise you're suppossedly enjoying.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Division 2. I gave up after they blew up a few builds i had going with nerfs. Its hard to basically start from scratch farming and building up gear for a post patch build. U thought the new darkzone would be better, but it honestly just lacked the action you saw during the first darkzone. People were given too many tools to circumvent the clear and present danger of me gunning for them around the next corner.

Saber

Gold Member
The ones I spend most time:

Monster Hunter World - Its not possible to not spend time with this. This game must be the worst type of time wasting, in this case in particular grinding. Felt terrible just to try finishing the game and when I beat it, droped instantly.

Ones that I drop and didn't invest much of time:

Dragonball Fighter Z
Chasm
Killzone Shadowfall.

D.Final

Banned

I suggest you to finish the game.
Because Final Fantasy XV have one of the best ending, for a Final Fantasy game, ever made.

Top Bottom