• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us Part II Deadnaming Prompts Outcry From LGBTQ+ Community and Allies

Grinchy

Banned
This is why I like games like Pacman. You're yellow, you eat ghosts and pellets and you don't have to worry about this real world ideological shit. Gaming was always about escapism and now it's so intertwined with the real world it has become as boring as the real world.

I shit you not, even Pacman has gotten hit because Ms. Pacman is a "sexist trope." Feminists found a way to go all the way back to Pacman and get offended.

Shmunter

images

Cracklox

Hey look, a TLOU2 thread here where everyone seems in unison. Love or hate the game, I think we can all agree that this is just fucking stupid.

When I read the thread title I thought it was some kinda uproar over enemies you kill having their names said by other bad guys or something.

You learn new weird shit everyday these days it seems

Methos#1975

Because a crazy cult who are hunting you down for shaving your head are going to be the types to refer to you as your preferred pronoun. It makes complete sense they'd deadname him.

Exactly, this is easily one of the most idiotic forced fake outrages ever

GhostOfTsu

Banned
They said the same thing about Catherine and they were still angry when the remake came out.

Neil pandered to them and it backfired again like when he praised Anita and then she said TLOU1 was sexist because Ellie couldn't swim and Joel had to help her.

theclaw135

Banned
Deadnaming seems to be an attempt to criminalize the act of acknowledging that the past existed.

The right to privacy, vs historical documentation, is a delicate subject.

What are we supposed to do? Round up and destroy second hand copies of movies whose credits were written before a performer changed their name?

Cleared_Hot

All the murdering, the violence, the gore, and the nudity is A-OKAY BUT IF THE BAD PEOPLE SAY A BIRTH NAME OMFG I WILL TWEET THE SHIT OUT OF YOU

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You can't please people who only exist to be displeased.
So true. Their only existence is based on being visible. The moment their being different becomes normal, they are looking for ways to be different again. This of course doesn't apply to all trans people, but loads of them (and especially on the internet) are just trans because that's how they can be different. They must be scared of becoming fully accepted. And quite frankly, I don't give a shit if you are trans or gay or lesbian or heterosexual or whatever made-up thing you think you are: You are still just people. And while nobody deserves to be hated for being different, nobody deserves to be hated because they didn't adhere to your made-up imaginary bullshit standards. Deadnaming. Fuck you. Last week I read through a LGBTQI****** (seems like every month there is a new letter added, why don't we just call you the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ?) dictionary. You need to study this fucking idiocy to not "insult" them. FAAB, AMAB, whatever, nobody cares about you but yourself. And I don't even like Last of Us. Oh BTW, I am active on Era. You dumb cunts over there that call themselves moderators. Haven't banned me yet. :D

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Leave the man alone. He just wants some girl dick.
Why the fuck I feel sorry, immediately. It's some fucked up sense of empathy. But you (not you brap) fucking better serve him pussy as fast as possible, or this will never stops.

Cleared_Hot

Also, even if everyone did every JUST right for your feelings, this is still totally uncalled for. The bad guys, portrayed as a very religious cult like group, deliberately say hurtful things to a character. Are we supposed to not have mean villains anymore? What the fuck do they want????

Also this whole deadnaming thing is so stupid. You are who you are. You're not your name, you're not your sex, you are the things you do and the decisions you make throughout life and that's fucking it. Start being an individual and stop worrying about everything else. Work hard, be nice, don't infringe on anyone elses rights and you're gonna be great no matter what you like to w ear or who you want to fuck.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
A0gkroM.gif

It's a fictional story. I haven't played it, but it sounds like a trans man is surrounded by people who are angry that he is trans, and very realistically use his old birth name. This happens in real life for every trans person early in transition, almost without fail. It is what WOULD happen if the story was true. :messenger_expressionless:

siriguillo

Neo Member
I don't mean to offend anyone, but usually when someone's belief about themselves is inconsistent with reality, they're deemed delusional. This is a ridiculous issue.
Look at part the definition they gave to deadnaming " the trans person’s true authentic identity", I have no idea how they measure authenticity, but I am pretty sure it has to do with an idea (a feeling) and not scientific evidence of any kind, going by that its an ideology. Still, if someone changes their name it would be rude to not call them by their new name, is a disrespect to the person no matter the context.

Shin

Banned
they should've had a trans person on staff to consult with this sort of thing. Is bad representation better than none at all?

They should have had, especially with a high profile game, it's rather arrogant and selfish to go in blindly or based on what they thougth.
Atlus always gets fucked for their efforts and is from a country where LGBTQ is less present, ND shouldn't be an exception to that rule.
Better no representation than a bad one.

Last edited:

siriguillo

Neo Member
But Lev isn't transsexual. The scars just wanted to pass him off as a woman to give as a sex slave to one of their creepy leaders. That's why he ran away.

He never ever mentions wanting to be accepted as a girl.

Or did I misunderstand that? Was he originally a boy or a girl? I thought he was always a boy and the scars just had a fucked up catholic church thing going on.
From what I have seen in playthroughs is a biological girl, and is precisely The scar's treatment what the trans community is complaining about.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Conglatulaitons Druckman, this is reason why you must not listen this ASYLUM you call your audience.

Gamers: We want a better woman representation
ND: we will give you masculine women
Gamers: You should be more inclusive than that!
ND: here's to you LGBT characters
Gamers: No minorities? Are you racist?
ND: We put Asian guys in our game
Gamers: But the deadnaming...
ND: We will release a patch
Gamers: Seems ok. But we will not buy your game anyway.
ND: ...

theclaw135

Banned
It begs the question. How do you reveal the deadname of a fictional character? By the very nature of fiction, they cannot give content to change their own name or gender or the way others represent them, or grant such authority to a parent or guardian.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Look at part the definition they gave to deadnaming " the trans person’s true authentic identity", I have no idea how they measure authenticity, but I am pretty sure it has to do with an idea (a feeling) and not scientific evidence of any kind, going by that its an ideology. Still, if someone changes their name it would be rude to not call them by their new name, is a disrespect to the person no matter the context.

In the game, based on what I've been told, it's the antagonists who refer to the transgender character by their "deadname," and they do so because they don't support the transgender character's transgender identity.

So, the context in which the transgender character is referred to by their deadname isn't one that indicates that Naughty Dog is against transgenerism but is one that's meant to indicate that the characters who use the deadname are the bad guys. So, it actually indicates that Naughty Dog supports transgenderism.

Those who are criticizing Naughty Dog for this moment in the game are buffoons and/ or drama queens.

CSJ

In the game, based on what I've been told, it's the antagonists who refer to the transgender character by their "deadname," and they do so because they don't support the transgender character's transgender identity.

So, the context in which the transgender character is referred to by their deadname isn't one that indicates that Naughty Dog is against transgenerism but is one that's meant to indicate that the characters who use the deadname are the bad guys. So, it actually indicates that Naughty Dog supports transgenderism.

Those who are criticizing Naughty Dog for this moment in the game are buffoons and/ or drama queens.

Yeah this, precisely.
I don't understand why people cannot understand the difference between say; being transphobic and making a game with transphobic themes or making a game with a transphobe in it because you're telling a story.
Of course, is neither, it's just a character having a fucking observation, jfc if that neckbeard is really the one who wrote the article then yeah it explains it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Bhahahahaha! I love this. Not only is this game a flagship LGBT++++ game, but that isn't enough to not offend someone? Naughty Dog really can't catch a break, now they are bigots according to some of the people in this community that they spent sooo much time and money courting. Reality is crazier than fiction. :D

Last edited:

YCoCg

The bad guys who want to torture and murder the main cast also used bad words? What kind of brutal savage society is this?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Deadnaming seems to be an attempt to criminalize the act of acknowledging that the past existed.
Yeah and "deadname" as a term is extremely bad.
In the context of the game, they do not accept the trans and want to kill her... so it's not a problem that they want to kill her but use the old name

Burger

Don't all the Seraphites adopt new names anyway? There are letters in the game that talk about this, specifically Emmet.

So could they just be calling her by her new name, and she prefers the old? I'm still playing through but I've not seen anything to indicate she is trans at all.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The human chromosome makeup is either XY or XX. Those pesky immutable chromosomes define your gender. Deal with it. Also to hell with Anita Sarkesian and her lapdog Neil Druckman. They both ruined a great gaming franchise.

azz0r

Banned
I'd have thought the community would have liked the reference here, as it brings eyes and voices to the cause. Shame.

Hopefully one day devs will understand, people will always want more and never will be happy. I don't even know how the fuck we went from "females are too sexualized" to "we need everything be represented otherwise it's discriminating". But hey thanks to that, I can finally play games with ugly woman and side characters with motives I don't care at all. But at least it's not as bad as in other games.

supernova8

Banned

It would be like projecting Nazis view onto Bethesda because they made a game featuring people with Nazi views.
In other news.. "deadname", yeah sure. Keep making up words.

Last edited:
Top Bottom