• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us Patch Adds More Pro Support / Restores Supersampling

tootie923

This is what I'm seeing now in the options:

Lock at 30 frames per second on:

PS4 Pro Enhancements: Screen Resolution (Target 30 fps, 2160p, Shadows High Quality)
PS4 Pro Enhancements: Framerate (Solid 30 fps, 1080p, Shadows High)

Lock at 30 frames per second off:

PS4 Pro Enhancements: Screen Res (Target 60 fps, 1800p, Shadows Normal)
PS4 Pro Enhancements: Framerate (Solid 60 fps, 1080p, Shadows High)

Gitaroo

They add the clothes wrinkles texture when the character moves yet? It was missing in the remaster since day 1 but the PS3 version has it.

Venuspower

Did anyone already checked, if we are still able to get access to the unreleased Objective gamemode? Wanted to try this out with a friend during the next few days.

BHK3

Banned
Really? Nothing? Haven't played it yet. Not even resolution super sampling?

I personally can't recall super sampling, it has the standard pro features of a small boost to resolution and HDR, I was just hoping for something a little better than that. Either better effects or a bigger boost to resolution.

autoduelist

They fixed the downward aim bug!!!!

It was super rare, but also super annoying when it did happen. I knew about the smokebomb exploit, but it was rarer than rare and nobody did it, but still, nice fix.

El_Chino

PS4 Pro Enhancements: Screen Resolution (Target 30 fps, 2160p, Shadows High Quality)
PS4 Pro Enhancements: Frame Rate (Solid 30 fps, 1080p, Shadows High)

I look forward to comparison photos.

Melchiah

PS4 Pro Enhancements: Frame Rate (Solid 30 fps, 1080p, Shadows High)

It's good to see supersampling return after all this time. The bolded was how I played the game back then, and how I'm going to continue my third playthrough where I left off. I'm still bitter about it being removed just a few days after I bought the Pro though. Did it have high quality shadows previously?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, I wonder if ND people also thought that system wide supersampling might be added soon, and waited for some internal 5.0 info, before starting to work on this patch.

I personally can't recall super sampling, it has the standard pro features of a small boost to resolution and HDR, I was just hoping for something a little better than that. Either better effects or a bigger boost to resolution.
I haven't had a chance to see it in 4K/HDR, but the UC4's 1440p supersampled to 1080p, with it's already insanely good AA method looks just pixel perfect. I've never seen a complex 3D game with that good image quality on my TV to be honest.

wolgoen

wosht.gif

> Reinstalls TLoU...

Gitaroo

Wait, what? This is the first I'm hearing about this.

you don't notice it because Joe is wearing a backpack most of the time but the PS3 version definitely have animated texture as the character move. You can check by starting a new game and look at Sarah's clothes as she walk. PS4 version is just flat texture.

Ferr986

Nope, I also do not have any insider information. I'm just a regular consumer and enthusiast like most of us are and I've been on gaf for a while and people share stuff.

That (very) old Neo document is outdated and not representative of the Pro.

Tripolygon

Banned
That (very) old Neo document is outdated and not representative of the Pro.
Nope not that one. I know the one you're talking about and its not it.

Edit: Back to topic, I can finally finish TLOU on PS4 Pro in 4K downsampled, still haven't got a 4K TV just yet.

Nope, I also do not have any insider information. I'm just a regular consumer and enthusiast like most of us are and I've been on gaf for a while. People share stuff.
Please just tell me if downsampling is easy to implement from now on, and will it retroactively get patched for all of the old Pro games?

Lady Gaia

It can't be system wide because every game isn't over 1080P but what it can be is a part of the SDK so that devs can easily add it to the games made after the SDK is released.

It isn’t system-wide in that respect on the 1X either, since it’s up to developers to decide how best to take advantage of the hardware. They can absolutely run games on a 1X at 1080p native This is going to prove to be one of those overblown marketing points that doesn’t mean much of anything in practice.

What Sony could do is allow a user setting that misleads the API developers use to query the output resolution. Tell games that a 4K display is connected even when it isn’t true and they’d use the rendering strategy they use for a 4K display. I can completely understand why they don’t, though, for any number of reasons.

What would you call the setting? Enable subsampling? It wouldn’t do so with games that don’t render above 1080p with a 4K display, so that’s inaccurate. Turning it off wouldn’t disable subsampling on games that already support it with a connected 1080p display, either, so that’s equally misleading.

Just as importantly, why would you take control away from the developer in the first place? Give them the tools to make the best decision for their title and leave it at that. Having a complex interaction between in-game and system settings is not going to lead to less confusion. Keep it simple at the system level and trust developers to do the right thing, like Naughty Dog has just done.

Tripolygon

Banned
Please just tell me if downsampling is easy to implement from now on, and will it retroactively get patched for all of the old Pro games?
I am not an insider. I just read something that I'm sure many on here have read. I don't know when and if it is going to be available, all I read is that feature is planned in a future update. I'm not an insider nor am I trying to pretend I know something.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It isn’t system-wide in that respect on the 1X either, since it’s up to developers to decide how best to take advantage of the hardware. They can absolutely run games on a 1X at 1080p native This is going to prove to be one of those overblown marketing points that doesn’t mean much of anything in practice.

What Sony could do is allow a user setting that misleads the API developers use to query the output resolution. Tell games that a 4K display is connected even when it isn’t true and they’d use the rendering strategy they use for a 4K display. I can completely understand why they don’t, though, for any number of reasons.

What would you call the setting? Enable subsampling? It wouldn’t do so with games that don’t render above 1080p with a 4K display, so that’s inaccurate. Turning it off wouldn’t disable subsampling on games that already support it with a connected 1080p display, either, so that’s equally misleading.

Just as importantly, why would you take control away from the developer in the first place? Give them the tools to make the best decision for their title and leave it at that. Having a complex interaction between in-game and system settings is not going to lead to less confusion. Keep it simple at the system level and trust developers to do the right thing, like Naughty Dog has just done.

The marketing is working though. I'll tell you that. hah

Nope not that one. I know the one you're talking about and its not it.

Edit: Back to topic, I can finally finish TLOU on PS4 Pro in 4K downsampled, still haven't got a 4K TV just yet.

Can you please elaborate on this official document?

System wide super sampling is planned.

Anything else?

How sure are you of it's authenticity? I'm very surprised I haven't heard mention of it before. I'm in all the Pro threads.

KageMaru

Very awesome of them to update this further. Wish I kept my copy. When the Remaster first came out, I remember the 30fps mode not looking or feeling smooth at all. I don't know if it was the frame rate, frame pacing, or my system. How does the 30fps mode look and feel on the Pro?

prophecy0

Sweet. I've been meaning to replay TLoU but keep getting distracted by other games. This will help motivate me a bit more.

5taquitos

I am not an insider. I just read something that I'm sure many on here have read. I don't know when and if it is going to be available, all I read is that feature is planned in a future update. I'm not an insider nor am I trying to pretend I know something.
You don't get off that easily. Either produce the fucking document (we've all seen it, right? Should be easy to find) or admit that you're talking out of your ass.

Somnia

You may not be an insider, but you need to show this document at this point.

score01

Great news. bought it on sale last year but held off on playing till supersampling came back. Haven't played since the PS3 version.

I'm so ready to dive back in.

smuf

Just beat it after holding out for months hoping they'd restore the downsampling. Fuck.

still glad they fixed it

kc44135

wosht.gif

> Reinstalls TLoU...

My reaction in a nutshell. :)

Can't wait to jump back in and check this out. TLOU is still one of my favorite games, even 4 years after it's original release. Also, don't give up on system-wide supersampling. It could still happen, y'all. Instead, keep talking about it, keep demanding it, and make sure Sony hears you. That's the only way it will ever happen.

Top Bottom