• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late, late to the party: Paper Mario

Mashing

So I picked this game up preowned the other day and I played it all weekend (incidentally I'm playing Mario and Luigi on GBA as well).

What a fabulous game. The battle system is great, the dialogue is very good and very funny (I paticulary love the Gourmet Guy... his scenes crack me up). And I love all the platformer stuff in the game as well. I'm on the 5th chapter now, should finish it up later this week.

Edit: and as beerbelly just reminded me... I love the level design as well. Especially Shy Guy's Toy Box... my favorite part of the game thus far.

Xizk

I had already sold my Nintendo 64 by the time this game came out, so I didn't get to play it :/
I hope Nintendo offers this as a pre-order bonus with Paper mario 2.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
While it would be nice, I don't see the actual game as a pre-order bonus. I think a pop-up story/art book would be the best thing they could offer.

Xizk

Well, you're probably right.

I hope they re-relase it for the Nintendo DS or something then.

beerbelly

Banned
I loved the level designs and mini games. The only thing that kept me from finishing the game was the boring level-up system. I hated having to get 1 exp each battle (or 2 if you were really lucky). Sometimes you get 0 exp points if your character becomes a lot stronger than the enemies.

Mashing

One thing I don't like too much, and you could argue it adds some strategy, is the way the badge system works.

I like the badges themselves and a like the way you have to juggle them depending on the situation, but I DON'T like having to sacrifice HP/FP to get more BP's.... they should give you +4 or +5 per level like the other stats becuase some of the badges are really expensive to use.

Now again, I love the badge system. It's great that you have to balance attack skills/defense skills/stat boosters/status protect, I just find that's it's hard to stay alive if you put too many of you level up choices into BP. I dunno, maybe if they changed it to +4 or +5 it would destroy the badge system outright. And since it'll probably be similar in PM2, I can live with it... it's not a showstopper.

nubbe

beerbelly said:
The only thing that kept me from finishing the game was the boring level-up system. I hated having to get 1 exp each battle (or 2 if you were really lucky). Sometimes you get 0 exp points if your character becomes a lot stronger than the enemies.
Yeah, the game would have been better if you could do 99999 points of damage to a monster with 15 million HP.. Then when you slay it you get 6000 xp.

That would make me feel like a man. :rolleyes

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
On a related note, i just finished M&L the other day. The final boss was really hard at first, but it gets easy after a few practice runs. The red pepper trick helps a lot.

The red pepper trick is where you give a red pepper to one of the brothers (I give it to Mario), let him die, revive him with a 1up mushroom and then the effect of the red pepper lasts for the rest of the battle, till you win or both brothers are dead.

Anyway, with Paper Mario, I would love to play it, but I don't see myself tracking down the game on ebay or in stores. I'm holding onto the hope that Nintendo will offer a port of Paper Mario on the cube as a bonus when you buy Paper Mario 2. That would rock.

I never did play the English version of Paper Mario past the introductory levels. I guess I should, inasmuch as my Japanese wasn't exactly hot shit when I played through the Japanese version.

jarrod

Banned
nubbe said:
Yeah, the game would have been better if you could do 99999 points of damage to a monster with 15 million HP.. Then when you slay it you get 6000 xp.

That would make me feel like a man. :rolleyes
Heh, meaningful stats is probably one of my favorite things about Paper Mario... it's like the anti-Star Ocean in that regard. :)

Kobun Heat said:
I never did play the English version of Paper Mario past the introductory levels. I guess I should, inasmuch as my Japanese wasn't exactly hot shit when I played through the Japanese version.

Definitely do so. The dialogue is some of the best/funniest I've ever seen in a game, and that's saying something!

Especially considering I remember you liking the M&L humor, I think you'd really love Paper Mario in English.

Kobun Heat said:

Yeah, it's one of my favorite English localizations. Frickin' hilarious.

Paper Mario >> Mario & Luigi

Shifty

5162f576c4047c4fc360501aea31063b.gif

Top Bottom