• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to t...FOUR SWORDS ROCKS YOUR FACE (aka, connectivity is pretty decent).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Picked up 3 GC-GBA link cables (complete rip-off, by the way) so that my brother, sister, and I could play FF:CC which I had rented from Gamefly (Wario rox), and on a whim decided to get Four Swords as well... holy shit dudes, it's fucking unbelievable. Easily the best Gamecube game to date (sorry Pikmin :( ).

The mechanics of the connectivity features are quite good. Not cutting away while going into caves and houses and small patches of overworld work well in the sense that we don't need all four dudes heading there to actually get there. It works a lot better than the way things are set up in FF:CC, in which it's a damned bother to access during the actual game, not to mention that D-pad control in the game is sorta off. No text on screen or any other kind of clutter in Four Swords, it's fecking great.

The game itself though is fantastically amazingly good. We've been playing on and off since Saturday and have completeed through level 5-2 as of yesterday. (2D) Zelda games in general are always at a high standard, but this is just on a whole other world. I mean, usually, when you play a Zelda game, there are points where you'd naturally get stuck and have to figure out whatever puzzle is standing in your way, but with a good team, it's a well oiled machine. Each person can throw out a suggestiona and you'd just barrel through the dungeons without losing any kind of steam. The cooperation is quite cool. We always plan far ahead for who should have what items and why, who should guard who, etc. It's an amazing dynamic that works so well in a Zelda game I'm shocked that multiplayer Zelda is just coming up this gen. I always get a chuckle of having to use the roc's feather to carry people over a pit or lava. What's really cool about it the game is the competitiveness as well. It adds just that extra edge to the game that really puts it a notch above the rest. Feck being altruistic and letting others get gems and hearts or damned anything else. I want to be the goddamned hero of light. However, some people, like my douchebag of a cousin can take it a bit overboard. Purposely throwing me into pits repeatedly so I can die. That's bullshit dodes, pure bullshit. :(

Four Swords is just such a shockingly awesome title. Everything about it just oozes total fucking style and goodness. The cooperation is so cool, and you really do it without even planning it. For example, probably the coolest moment I had with the game was on Death Mountain where your group has to fight a ton of cyclopses and shit. We were all getting our asses kicked so we started covering each other so we could get in the cave, and then we stumbled onto the quake medallion. Much ownage was had :D.

Great game, and if this is the sort of stuff we can see from connectivity, more please. Also, more multiplayer Zelda would be awesome. :D

While FF:CC does have it's good points, I really just couldn't get into it, well so far. We've played for about two hours, and while boss fights bring out some awesome team work, the rest of the game is pretty boring, and I think the game could have easily worked without connectivity.

BuddyC

Yea, you missed out in the awesomeness back in LA. The day you went the baseball game we sat and played Four Swords while Shouta translated in real time - really cool stuff, well, except for Tetra's Trackers.

Gattsu25

Banned
The best thing about it is the constant cooperative/deathmatch mechanic

the ENTIRE TIME you're working together you're working out a way to fuck your teammates up and get first at the end of the match. Creates a covertly competitive feel that I found extremely unique

EDIT: your experiences may vary :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh damn, I just bumped another thread for this...

I have not had the chance to try multi (and won't have that chance either, as I lack GBAs)...but the single player is a really great game. I'm so impressed here!

Oh, and a bonus...

The visuals are absolutely stunning. Aside from the low-res zoom, everything is top notch. Tons of special effects, great artwork, crystal clear look, etc. I'm playing in 480p and was shocked to find that it looks this good!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea we've been having a great time with it ourselves, but unfortunately the luster has somewhat dulled lately. We haven't touched it for a couple weeks and have left off somewhere around 5-1 or so.

I have this sad feeling I will be experiencing the game solo from now till the end. (EDIT: Not the end of the world really, as dark10x mentioned the game is interesting enough to complete solo)

Still, with no real reward structure in place and a primary focus on pointless greed, interest among my GBA-owning pals has really waned the past couple sessions. (Too highbrow a crowd I guess...) Then again, half of them don't at all much care for Zelda in general, so charming puzzles and nostalgic references have no effect on them.

Still, Shadow Battle was an extreme surprise though! Surprisingly, that 'tacked-on' minigame got WAY more attention than Hyrule Adventure our last get-together. Makes for a fantastic drinking game too.

Oh and I couldn't agree more on FFCC Wellington; I have really tried to love it, but there is not enough drugs or pills in this world to get us over the lethargic progression. Strangely enough I can't seem to force myself to make a trade-in on it either knowing it will never really get playtime again.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
About to play now, how many levels are in the game? ;p

Forgot to mention another thing in my initial post. I don't like the lag it takes to start up the GBA in FFCC. Takes quite a while sometimes.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There are 24 levels in Four Swords, each will take 30 minutes to an hour to go through.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
We beat it last week. What an amazing game... I lost count of how many times we encountered a puzzle or dynamic that made me think "DAMN this game is clever!"

The only problem really, is it's very easy to get pissed off at eachother due to the way the game is set up. For awhile it's hilarious when everyone is f'ing eachother up... but it gets old and far too often people just will not stop. Oh well.

Infiltration
of Hyrule castle was my favorite level. =)

MrCheez

So did anyone else have any "OH SHIT SOMEONE PULLED THEIR LINK CABLE OUT - PUT IT BACK IN PUT IT BACK IN!" moments? =)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Geez Wells...you couldn't call a brother in brooklyn with a blue GBA SP. I even have my own link up cable :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MrCheez said:
We beat it last week. What an amazing game... I lost count of how many times we encountered a puzzle or dynamic that made me think "DAMN this game is clever!"

The only problem really, is it's very easy to get pissed off at eachother due to the way the game is set up. For awhile it's hilarious when everyone is f'ing eachother up... but it gets old and far too often people just will not stop. Oh well.

Infiltration
of Hyrule castle was my favorite level. =)

Wait, is that level you are talking the first time you journey there? If so, I have just finished that one and agree that it was cool. If there is an even BETTER one, then great...I can't wait!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
MrCheez said:
So did anyone else have any "OH SHIT SOMEONE PULLED THEIR LINK CABLE OUT - PUT IT BACK IN PUT IT BACK IN!" moments? =)
YES BUT TOO BAD THE STUPID GAME WON'T CARE AND IT RESTARTS IMMEDIATELY.

MrCheez

TekunoRobby said:
YES BUT TOO BAD THE STUPID GAME WON'T CARE AND IT RESTARTS IMMEDIATELY.

With us if you put it back in a few seconds after it came out, it wouldn't restart. We had it restart once though, and we learned our lesson. ;_;

Top Bottom