• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Derek Smart news- he'll give you your money back!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Derek Smart's latest masterpiece is up on Gamer's Gate for purchase.

And if you think it's total ass, Derek Smart will personally give you your money back, -and- let you keep the game!

From BluesNews:

Dsmart said:
Hump,

The public demo is coming sometime this month. We did a closed tech preview exclusive to IGN's FilePlanet subsscribers about two weeks ago and we got some very good feedback from that.

If you're a space sim fan, I think you'll like this one, but don't take my word for it. Wait for the demo.

In fact, here's my pledge to you: If you're a space sim fan, can't wait for the demo and you buy the game (Gamers Gate already has it online, Direct2Drive follows later today I think) but think its crap, I'm tits up and talking trash, I'll personally refund your money. And you still get to keep the game (i.e. I won't invalidate your DRM license on the server).

Of course, graphics don't make a game good, but anyone who says those graphics are 1999, needs to upgrade their XT. Yeah, I know, baiting is fun, but what the hell.

Here are some hi-def shots from the game. And thats with everything on. 1999. Yeah, right.

http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gcES/08-02-20/index.html

http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=85844

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, at least he's keeping the genre alive. Clearly LucasArts and EA and THQ (via Volition) don't give a shit anymore.

radjago

bluemax said:
He's right it doesn't look like 1999. 2003 maybe more accurate.
No, it's definitely 1999. Freespace 2 says hi.

FreeSpace_2_Backdrop-Ani.gif

bluemax

Banned
radjago said:
No, it's definitely 1999. Freespace 2 says hi.

FreeSpace_2_Backdrop-Ani.gif

Shit, that was the game I was thinking of in my head, I guess I didn't play it until 2003.

Crushed said:
Really? I was honestly thinking 2001.

2001 was my first instinct, but I tried to be nice.

Frenck

Banned
I just stumbled upon this gem :lol

Unbelievable.

EDIT:

Some choice quotes...

derek smart! said:
You're such an idiot. What FUCK are you blaming for this for?
Yes, that's right, I'm swearing at YOU - So sue me or better
still, let's start a nice flame war. I'm ALWAYS game.

Derek Smart! said:
I already told UK owners to ditch their version and get the US copies.
I told EVERYONE that the UK version would NOT be complete. I still have
those messages. I even did a press release about it. So assholes go out
and buy the UK version so they can flame and abuse me some more.
Fuck 'em, it's their [assholes] Quid. I'm not getting paid anyway so
what have I got to lose?

DEREK SMART! said:
why don't you shut the fuck up and die once that's done.

[B]DEREK SMART!!![/B] said:
Fuck you too pal. Fuck you too and your entire family for spawning
such a mistake to humanity.

Ewww....

Gattsu25

Banned
Why, when creating a thread for a game, do you not once name the fucking game in your thread title, post, or the frickin quote?

Normally I wouldn't care but this is a space sim. Even a shitty space sim can be seen as a discussion worthy game in a genre that is deader than console kids impressions of the PC gaming market.

neight

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Why, when creating a thread for a game, do you not once name the fucking game in your thread title, post, or the frickin quote?
Because who would actually consider buying a Derek Smart game?
Normally I wouldn't care but this is a space sim. Even a shitty space sim can be seen as a gem in a genre that is deader than console kids impressions of the PC gaming market.
Eh, speak for yourself. I'd rather replay real gems than have to settle for shit.

Zolf

Gattsu25 said:

Because in a thread about a Derek Smart game, the game isn't the main point of interest.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gattsu25 said:

Normally I wouldn't care but this is a space sim. Even a shitty space sim can be seen as a discussion worthy game in a genre that is deader than console kids impressions of the PC gaming market.

Derek Smart, is that you?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I didn't even buy the game, and I want his money so I can buy Target: Terror for the Wii. :lol

The graphics on Target: Terror do look better than whatever Derek Dumbass can crap out, amirite???

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh derek. Your insanity makes me want to try the game...well, not that much.

KongRudi

Banned
I think I might buy this game during next week or so.

I love space-sims, don't expect this one game to rock my world or anything, and sure; he's got a bad rep.
But they've also done some good things, i.e. making their games freeware after it's been in stores a few years, instead of letting it sit out and rot in store shelves.

I like that, and I think I should give one of his games a try, instead of just listening to everyone else's opinion of him. :)

Victrix

*beard*
KongRudi said:

I love space-sims, don't expect this one game to rock my world or anything, and sure; he's got a bad rep.
But they've also done some good things, i.e. making their games freeware after it's been in stores a few years, instead of letting it sit out and rot in store shelves.

I like that, and I think I should give one of his games a try, instead of just listening to everyone else's opinion of him. :)

Derek Smart confirmed!

No seriously, I look forward to hearing your wails of despair. I made the mistake of trying BC one time from the bargain bin. Yeeuch.

Deepblue

Banned
KongRudi said:

Before you waste your money, I suggest clicking on the link above.

Gattsu25

Banned
stressboy said:
Why is there a nebula in every single one of those screenshots? The man seems to have a fetish for them.
Not many games can pull off 'empty space'

It's one of my pet peeves with the space genres, really. Some games, like Freespace, go the extra yard and make sure that nebula are not just background bitmaps...but as a whole, space games would make you believe that space is very colorful

Deepblue

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

It's one of my pet peeves with the space genres, really. Some games, like Freespace, go the extra yard and make sure that nebula are not just background bitmaps...but as a whole, space games would make you believe that space is very colorful
The BSG:BtRL team definitely takes the empty space approach...
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

stressboy

Gattsu25 said:

I remember seeing a screenshot for an earlier Derek Smart game called Universal Combat. Earth was in the shot.. and a nebula was filling up background. It looked ridiculous.

Haeleos

Seeing this thread only makes me want to play Freespace 2. I didn't even know there were graphical upgrades out there for it. Tell me what I must do!

b.e.r.g

Graphics rarely actually hurts...

The colors are just... too damn colorfull!
Space sims are usually pretty cool though, so I'm going to give the demo a shot atleast :D

Zenith

Banned
The demo of this has just been released, and I've just uninstalled it. what a fucking unforgivable mess.

oh, and that "seamless planet fall" he promised? not seamless, uses a cutscene just like Parkan II or Freelancer.

I don't know when Klingon Academy was released, but its graphics were better than this piece of shit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gattsu25 said:

Heh, I've always thought space sims had really beautiful graphics because of these... too bad the gameplay is not my thing at all :(

gametap I think pulled this game from their indies list, probably due it being a huge pile of ass like everything else smart's made.

freespace 2, regardless of whether it is SCP'd or not, is still the best space sim ever. FACT.

Top Bottom