• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 7 rumour roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
They'll need a really slick adapter/dongle for 3.5mm to keep me in their camp; assuming these rumors come true.

I still have trouble believing Apple will ditch the port.

mackattk

They'll need a really slick adapter/dongle for 3.5mm to keep me in their camp; assuming these rumors come true.

At the same time I don't want to carry a dongle with me to listen to traditional headphones.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Disappointed that it's not thinner.

RowdyReverb

I wonder what Apple will do to mitigate the backlash for removing the headphone jack. They have to provide some other option and convince people that it's somehow worth the change

What if they included a wireless headphone adapter? Not sure how much sense that would make though

still a huge bezel and headphone jack makes this a skip for me even though i usually tic toc between android flagships and iphones.

I switched back to iPhone since the 5S but I think it's time for another go at Android.
I really can't stand the iPhone 6 design and this doesn't seem like much of an upgrade

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna love to see how Apple justifies the loss of the headphone port.

"We are happy to announce that for the first time ever, we will be utilizing the lightning port to deliver unprecedented ultra-high definition audio to your headphones. From now on you will be able to plug in your headphones to the lightning port using our amazing, intuitive lightning audio adapter, starting at just $49. Never before has a phone offered such amazing sound technology as will the iPhone 7."

Red

That probably won't happen until USB-C's digital audio spec finally a thing and smooth enough (keep in mind that much of it will be software-dependant) for the consumer. And even then, marketing it will be everything but easy.

Apple is (at least partly) doing it because it's in a position where it can profit directly and indirectly from the sale of new accesories, which is not the case for Samsung or any other manufacturer, which in turns removes a huge incentive for them to ditch the good old minijack. Specially since you can have both Bluetooth audio and wired one.
Apple will have already paved the way for marketing. The doors will be open. And if they successfully pitch the removal as a positive, others will follow suit. They'll never admit they are doing this as a way to make dongle money. It'll be framed as an improvement, a luxury feature.

Akira

256GB for the most expensive

128GB for the middle

16GB for the cheapest

200w.gif

RowdyReverb

Do you guys use your headphone jack regularly? I use mine nearly daily, but my wife can't even remember the last time she used hers.

On a regular 6+ but will not upgrade with no headphones jack. The fact that they aren't making it thinner or using dual speakers boggles the mind.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
????

The constant complaint the last few years has been "stop making it thinner, we want longer battery life!" and now they listened and added a bigger battery.

You're surprised that someone has different desires? Alright.

Anyway, I can't believe that 16gig is still a thing. What a rip off.

Probably wishful thinking since it is Apple, but it would be nice if the introduction of a 256GB storage option meant that the lowest and cheapest option was bumped up to 64GB.

FaintDeftone

I think its safe to say that if the iPhone 7 indeed lacks a headphone jack, they will at least give you lighting headphones in the box, right? I haven't seen an iPhone not come with headphones.

RowdyReverb

I think its safe to say that if the iPhone 7 indeed lacks a headphone jack, they will at least give you lighting headphones in the box, right? I haven't seen an iPhone not come with headphones.

Maybe they'll bundle it with some really cool Bluetooth earbuds. But they would have to be really killer, like the same size plastic part as the current ones but with no wires. Maybe a magnet to stick them together when not in use.

muu

I'll bite depending on the camera. "SLR quality" is a pie in the sky, but if they can get closer to mid-range point and shoots that would be awesome.

So how many more generations until Apple invents their own Wireless Charging standard and implements it in the iPhone? It feels like they are pretty much grasping at straws for new device features when they have an easy one sitting right there on the sidelines they could implement

Harmen

The streets over here are filled with people listening to music on heir headphones. I really can't imagine Apple ditching it straight out like this. I thought the latest rumor was it was (still) in?

jrcbandit

Glad I got the Galaxy Edge 7 and ditched my iPhone 6. A heavier iPhone plus is not what I would want, it is already significantly heavier than the Edge. Plus, no headphone jack, no thanks.

javac

Tim Cook puts his Beats headphones on and plays a song on his iPhone 7, crowd is quiet in anticipation. He puts the phone down and walks away and the music continues to play, the crowd goes nuts. No more wires. Commercial is one of those infomercials with people tripping over and tangled in headphone cables.

Jony Ive: With the iPhone 7, listening to music has never been this elegant. We've revolutionized the way we listen to music.

jelly

They'll just revert to the 4/5 design and here is the bombshell, 32GB standard on entry model. Maybe not the last point.

Why haven't they ever copied that glance feature some Nokia's have. Any android phones do that?

Not expanding the Smart Connector to all models seems like an odd choice.

The problem is the implementation is different. Apple is already selling a seperate keyboard model for the 9.7" iPad Pro. and that's where the connector is on the side edge of the display. The "leaks" we've seen so far would suggest a connector on the back (so completely incompatible with existing smart connector devices) and beyond that, these devices need magnets to sit properly. That magnet takes space pretty much where the battery is, so it will be interesting to see if this rumor actually happens (and how apple re-engineers the magnet shape to deal with it)

A question I have is regarding the smart connector. Could that be used to connect the phone to a power source while you are using the lightning connector as the headphone jack?

Logitech already sells an (expensive) charger that uses the smart connector. Problem is it's not a high speed / high voltage rated charger and it needs the apple charger + cable that comes with the iPad Pro anyway. So it suffices as a stand but its probably not something you want to run out and buy.

nkarafo

SO they removed the headphone jack just for the sake of removing it?

What's the benefit? What does the device earn from this?

This looks very uncomfortable. You will either accidentally register inputs by just holding the thing or it will need an invisible border around the screen that won't register inputs which is as bad.

MZoon

Neo Member

This looks very uncomfortable. You will either accidentally register inputs by just holding the thing or it will need an invisible border around the screen that won't register inputs which is as bad.

Better dust and water proofing and more free space (to take advantage of or to make the phone thinner) IIRC.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Once Apple removes the headphone jack, it is a safe bet that many flagships will follow.

god I hope so.

cost (margin) and likely space (bigger battery?)

but beyond that, it starts the march toward eliminating the dinosaur. It's like people still wanting optical audio. "Because all of my headphones use it". Why do all headphones use it? Because it's available. Then all headphones use it "So why would you eliminate it?"

To break the damn cycle.

god I hope so.

but beyond that, it starts the march toward eliminating the dinosaur. It's like people still wanting optical audio. "Because all of my headphones use it". Why do all headphones use it? Because it's available. Then all headphones use it "So why would you eliminate it?"

To break the damn cycle.
So moving from a universal audio adapter to a physical method that is exclusive to one platform (Lightning Compatible) is a good thing because why?...

RowdyReverb

god I hope so.

To break the damn cycle.
I'm all for progress, but the current method of connecting headphones to a simple jack seems like the most elegant solution to the problem of converting electrical signals to audible sound. All it takes is a connector, a wire, and two small speakers, and the internal DAC does all the work. Using a digital connector for transmitting audio signals just seems like a step back rather than a step forward because it would complicate headphone design without providing any real benefits (unless you prefer to use a custom DAC, which is a small niche of users).

However, if they manage to make wireless earbuds without the drawbacks of added bulk (as I hope they're able to do before dropping the jack), that could be seen as real progress because it would make the headphone jack less necessary.

muu

god I hope so.

To break the damn cycle.

Nah, more like GM killing public transit. Folks are moving to bluetooth because of convenience and because most people care jack all about audio quality, but since final audio output needs to be an analog signal anyway, there's really no good reason to go ahead and kill the headphone jack aside from the desire to sell you pricey BT headphones that are in no way superior quality-wise. TOSLINK going away is normal progression, that's digital audio which has been incorporated into HDMI for all intents and purposes.

riotous

Banned
What if they included a wireless headphone adapter? Not sure how much sense that would make though

I already have one of those (a Sony device that does BT and has a headphone port); I generally just don't want to deal with wireless audio while I'm at work which is my main use case for headphone audio on my phone.

I switch between my laptop and phone throughout the day; different types of meeting software, taking conference calls, etc.

While wireless "works" it introduces unnecessary complexity for me as well as another device that can run out of batteries. Which isn't the end of the world when I can just plug directly into my phone in the case where my wireless dies, but I'd need a dongle for that on my iPhone or I'd have to use lightning which I couldn't use on my laptop (without some sort of dongle.)

I just don't want to deal with all this mess; give me a 3.5mm port.. it's worked for me for decades and is simple and as cross-platform as it gets.

takoyaki

the $60 adapter , or $99 bluetooth headphones

probably more like $299-399 bluetooth headphones. They are rumored to be working on a pair of wireless headphones comparable to the Bragi Dash that might be called 'AirPods' and a new version of the bundled 'EarPods' for the Lightning port.

riotous

Banned
So moving from a universal audio adapter to a physical method that is exclusive to one platform (Lightning Compatible) is a good thing because why?...

Yeah exactly; borghe's entire argument falls on it's face because of Apple's proprietary solution.

If this came along with Apple adding a USB-C port.. then I might deal with the change.

But I'd still don't see the need for the change. There's nothing terribly wrong with the 3.5mm audio port.. it works on my phone, my laptops, my gaming consoles..my car..

Red

Yeah exactly; borghe's entire argument falls on it's face because of Apple's proprietary solution.

If this came along with Apple adding a USB-C port.. then I might deal with the change.

But I'd still don't see the need for the change. There's nothing terribly wrong with the 3.5mm audio port.. it works on my phone, my laptops, my gaming consoles..my car..
I'd prefer USB-C as well, but I remember hearing a rumor about new lightning ports which might work with USB-C cables. Can't find the source now though and I have no idea if I simply imagined it.

Anion

I already hate lighning cables...I have had one fail on me, but alas that was on the iPhone 5S

256GB for the most expensive

128GB for the middle

16GB for the cheapest

This will highlight the most ridiculous thing ive seen in 2016 tech reveals lol

And its probably true

It better be waterproof...

dc89

thats a mock based on a rumour for the 2017 model.

Rumors suggest Apple's 2016 iPhone 7 will look very similar to the iPhone 6s, with major changes to the iPhone's form factor actually coming in 2017, the year that marks the 10th anniversary of the device's initial launch. Apple blogger John Gruber recently shared some tantalizing details about the 2017 iPhone, which may see some radical design tweaks.

In the latest episode of his podcast The Talk Show, Gruber said he's heard "scuttlebutt" suggesting the 2017 iPhone will include an edge-to-edge display that eliminates the top and bottom bezels on the device, with the front-facing camera, Touch ID, and other sensors hidden under the display.

I think next year's phone, the 2017 model, the one that will come out in September of 2017. What I have heard -- now this is not really from the rumor mill but just scuttlebutt that I've heard -- is that it will be an all-new form factor.

And there have been some rumors, I guess, but what I'm saying is that I've heard this independently and it is completely getting rid of the chin and forehead of the phone. The entire face will be the display. And the Touch ID sensor will be somehow embedded in the display. The front-facing camera will somehow be embedded in the display. The speaker, everything. All the sensors will somehow be behind the display.

What I don't know... I have no idea, but whether that means that they're going to shrink the actual thing in your hand to fit the screen sizes we already have, or whether they're going to grow the screens to fit the devices we're already used to holding... I don't know.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/11/2017-iphone-edge-to-edge-display/

Mortemis

Banned

This is where I stand as well. If it came with USB-C I might give in, but Apple can fuck off with making it lightning only.

riotous

Banned
I'd prefer USB-C as well, but I remember hearing a rumor about new lightning ports which might work with USB-C cables. Can't find the source now though and I have no idea if I simply imagined it.

Well Apple has a USB-C to lightning cable; I suppose if everything is compatible with a dongle it won't be as big of a deal.

But as I understand it at least currently lightning based devices don't use the DAC on the iPhone; so you couldn't just connect any device to the port, you'd need a dongle with a DAC.

Either way this all needs to get specifically detailed before I make any decisions or get to upset about anything. In the end I won't be angry, I'll just go Android if it comes down to it.

In the end the most likely scenario is that even with compatible devices we are still introducing the need for a dongle.. hopefully it's not a "dongle with a DAC" required, but I'd still rather not need one at all.

Until the Edge 7 came out I was seriously debating a switch to the iPhone, but rumors of the headphone jack removal pushed me to preorder.

I have a bluetooth/usb dac and still would not buy a phone without a headphone jack given alternatives. Being able to fall back to the phone if I forget to charge my DAC is very important to me; as is being able to plug-in shitty Virgin America headphones in the off chance I forget mine.

Lightning feels like it doesn't have firm enough removal resistance compared to 1/8" that headphone dongles will be a problem. This just seems like Apple over-engineering and selling a new way for them to monetize further accesories than actual progress.

I would in no way be shocked to see the jack come back in the next revision.

Everyone will stick it in a bumper case anyway.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Looks nice, but after almost a decade I'm hoppinjg off the iPhone train.

The limitations of iOS have finally caught up to me and I'm forced to make the switch. I'll hold off until WWDC to see the ios10 preview just in case it fixes the issues I have, otherwise it's over for me =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom