• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Latvians read more Hitler than Harry Potter!

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
The original article referred to iBook.lv statistics. On this site "Mein Kampf" was indeed higher rated than the Harry Potter books during the week the article was published. The article also stated, that two erotic novels were better placed than "Mein Kampf". Typical tabloid journalism with a headline begging for clicks. But i admit that without reading the whole article or knowing what iBook.lv is, you can indeed think that the publisher of this news (baltnews) is biased and in reality it probably really is. In the end it's about on the same level the yellow press operates all over the world.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I don't feel it's controversial to say you should read Mein Kampf, Das Capital, Ayn Rand, or any other founding arguments from failed 'Utopias'. The man claiming to have all the answers to all the ills of society is the madman who will have millions thrown against the wall and shot if given power to do so.

Publish and study their manifestos, so young people will recognise the next one that comes around.

Last edited:

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
The original article referred to iBook.lv statistics. On this site "Mein Kampf" was indeed higher rated than the Harry Potter books during the week the article was published. The article also stated, that two erotic novels were better placed than "Mein Kampf". Typical tabloid journalism with a headline begging for clicks. But i admit that without reading the whole article or knowing what iBook.lv is, you can indeed think that the publisher of this news (baltnews) is biased and in reality it probably really is. In the end it's about on the same level the yellow press operates all over the world.
They spoke to the owner of the website and she confirmed it's all fake clicks on the main kampf book to generate what looks like interest but it's all manufactured.

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
They spoke to the owner of the website and she confirmed it's all fake clicks on the main kampf book to generate what looks like interest but it's all manufactured.
I know. I saw the video. That's why i said "...without knowing that iBook.lv is", because the numbers are not about sold books, but about clicks. Nethertheless only about 6.6% of the clicks came from Russia (https://www.polygraph.info/a/factcheck-harry-potter-hitler-latvia/29166375.html or check web analysis tools for yourself).
The clicks probably came due to the fact that in Latvia on March 16th is "Remembrance day of the Latvian legionnaires" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_day_of_the_Latvian_legionnaires), a former unit of Nazi Germany, where thousands of nazis marching through the city of Old Riga.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Why even compare it to Harry Potter? Why not something more inspirational, factual, and enlightening.

Oh I get it, entertain the brain, stay distracted, peasants.

When I think of top literary works of our time as humans, and what one should read if we were to compare to the theme, sorry fellow nerds, Pottery barn and Lord of the Ring dings are not even in the top 50.

Sounds like product placement, honestly.

I don't feel it's controversial to say you should read Mein Kampf, Das Capital, Ayn Rand, or any other founding arguments from failed 'Utopias'. The man claiming to have all the answers to all the ills of society is the madman who will have millions thrown against the wall and shot if given power to do so.

Publish and study their manifestos, so young people will recognise the next one that comes around.
Exactly this.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Why are you throwing in Ayn Rand with Hitler and Marx as failed utopias? Hell, there has never even been an attempt at an objectivist nation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Why are you throwing in Ayn Rand with Hitler and Marx as failed utopias? Hell, there has never even been an attempt at an objectivist nation.
Probably because most humans are incapable of being objective. We are a subjective species by nature, no matter how hard we try and fight it.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
It was one of the ones that was caught early enough to be ridiculed into an early grave.
I'm curious as to why you think that. Give me an honest take on why you think it is as bad as communism, for example.

Probably because most humans are incapable of being objective. We are a subjective species by nature, no matter how hard we try and fight it.
I think much of that has to do with the moral systems people are taught at an early age.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I think much of that has to do with the moral systems people are taught at an early age.
I can't argue with that. But speaking on this, isn't it well theorized that the sociopaths (roughly 10% of any population) that are incapable of objective empathy always strive and rise into power, thus throwing the wrenches into the societal muck dictating the paths they head?

Taxexemption

Oct 11, 2011
I've read Ayn Rand, Harry Potter, and the communist manifesto. Never got around to Mein Kampf. This kind of clickbait thing annoys me because I think it scares a lot of people who are pro-censorship and helps spur them into action. I think there are a lot of people out there worried that if we all read Mein Kampf, the communist manifesto, or anything similar, a huge portion of us are suddenly going to get together and try and overthrow the government.

I've read literature and propaganda from many different extremist groups. I often found a lot of interesting ideas but never was I like, "Based on this logical argument I'm going to up-end my currently comfy life and wage a war against the government/society and probably get myself killed for a vague idea that may never be fully realized"

Reactions: DeepEnigma

-Arcadia-

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2019
Hitler is an absolutely fascinating, if repulsive figure. Anyone reading Mein Kampf and in general, educating themselves about one of the most interesting times in recent history, over stupid (to be fair, I’ve never completed it) millennial bait like Harry Potter, has my respect.

As a bonus, they’ll actually be able to draw on real world references and knowledge, instead of comparing literally every event that happens to Harry Potter and other fictional worlds, as many do.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I'm curious as to why you think that. Give me an honest take on why you think it is as bad as communism, for example.
The Anarcho-Capitalism that Randian Objectivism requires to become a "system of government" is as ridiculous on its face as how the end goal of Communism is for all of humanity to give up all forms of money, authority, and sing Kumbayah until the end of time. I don't see Rand as a dictator-in-waiting, but then again neither was Marx.

How many deaths could the Joseph Stalin of Randian Objectivism justify with her works half a century after her death? I would wager quite a few.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

I would not put Ayn Rand next to Hitler or Marx

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
The Anarcho-Capitalism that Randian Objectivism requires to become a "system of government" is as ridiculous on its face as how the end goal of Communism is for all of humanity to give up all forms of money, authority, and sing Kumbayah until the end of time. I don't see Rand as a dictator-in-waiting, but then again neither was Marx.

How many deaths could the Joseph Stalin of Randian Objectivism justify with her works half a century after her death? I would wager quite a few.
I don't think you know much about Objectivism if you think it in any way is anarcho-capitalistic.

I also don't think any deaths could be justified by a "Joseph Stalin" of Objectivism except in self-defense, and then only justifiable as a defense against physical violence. A "Stalin" of Objectivism is impossible.

Last edited: