• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: 2 Switch SKUs planned, UK Retailer GAME will sell at £199.99 and £249.99

This is not good news for those of us hoping for full gyro support... that's even less than the Wii U Pro was. It sounds like another cheap-ass bone standard dual analog. Having to choose between gyro controls or a real D-pad would suck, so I hope gyro is capable of being in even a $40 controller. Maybe the sensors are cheap enough now?

The whole system in general is sounding a little too inexpensive for my tastes... there is such a thing. $199 would be an amazing price, sure, but I think most people would easily be willing to pay $250 for a more capable system, with $299 being the deluxe bundle with extra memory. At this speculative price, it seems like Nintendo would be leaving too much hardware potential on the table.
We already know around how powerful it is. ARM chips are generally cheap

LordKano

This is not good news for those of us hoping for full gyro support... that's even less than the Wii U Pro was. It sounds like another cheap-ass bone standard dual analog. Having to choose between gyro controls or a real D-pad would suck, so I hope gyro is capable of being in even a $40 controller. Maybe the sensors are cheap enough now?

The whole system in general is sounding a little too inexpensive for my tastes... there is such a thing. $199 would be an amazing price, sure, but I think most people would easily be willing to pay $250 for a more capable system, with $299 being the deluxe bundle with extra memory. At this speculative price, it seems like Nintendo would be leaving too much hardware potential on the table.

Gyro costs almost nothing fyi. I'd be shocked if it's not included.

LordofPwn

Yeah you're right actually I shouldn't be treating Micro SD's like they're fact. Everything until Jan 13th is a rumor. That being said New 3DS supports Micro SD's so I wouldn't be surprised. Even with PSP Sony used a fairly uncommon format, though it wasn't exclusive to the platform unlike Vita's memory cards.

I set expectations for disappointment.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendo isn't going to price the Switch so close to the current exchange rate. The GBP/USD exchange rate has been on a downward trajectory and is expected to go lower when the effects of Brexit actually start happening. Trump could halt the decline, but that just goes to show you how volatile the markets can be. Nintendo will base their prices on where they expect the exchange rates to be, not where they are. Things are just so crazy right now that I have no idea what the rates will be in a year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=gbpusd=x#{"allowChartStacking":true}

Edit: Who knew that Sony didn't make the Switch:)

That would imply that the US price could be even lower unless they sell for a loss in the UK and then sell for a relatively high profit everywhere else as a sort of subsidy.

Malakai

If the European/UK listed console prices includes the VAT-Tax in the price while the USD prices don't have taxes included in the listed price, why is there normally a one to one price with Euros to US dollars? Shouldn't the US dollar price be a bit cheaper? Also, doesn't European nations have stricter laws when it comes to warranties?

AzaK

Fuck if that gets a straight conversion to NZ dollars that would be an insane price. NZD349....I can't believe this.

Shiggy

If the European/UK listed console prices includes the VAT-Tax in the price while the USD prices don't have taxes included in the listed price, why is there normally a one to one price with Euros to US dollars? Shouldn't the US dollar price be a bit cheaper? Also, doesn't European nations have stricter laws when it comes to warranties?

1 EUR currently gives you 1.07 USD. Therefore 229 EUR and 279 EUR would be 246 USD and 300 USD respectively. As US prices do not include VAT (to confuse customers), the 1:1 conversion rate does make sense to some degree.

As Nintendo of Europe sells its Switch systems to Nintendo UK, a subsidiary, I assume that the price for the base SKU will be 229 EUR, and not 249 EUR. Otherwise NoE would subsidise its UK business for no particular reason.

And there never will be an audience unless they go ahead and build one. If you build it, they will come, and all that. You can't complain that the audience isn't there if you're doing fuck all to build one. The audience wasn't there for PS1 at the start, it took a few brave publishers to make the audience.
You can compare it all you want but the PS1 and Switch are two completely different situations. Sony was a new player and Nintendo is established in the market and known, so Wii not to nurture this type of audience. The problem is, the people that buy Nintendo systems as their only system don't tend to buy those games. The people that have Nintendo as a secondary system will buy those games on better hardware with better online infrastructure. Nintendo went from having lots of FPS games on N64 to basically cutting off that market on GC. Microsoft swept those people up.

The onus isn't on third parties to build that audience on a Nintendo platform after Nintendo took numerous steps over the generations to alienate that audience. It's Nintendo's problem.

1 EUR currently gives you 1.07 USD. Therefore 229 EUR and 279 EUR would be 246 USD and 300 USD respectively. As US prices do not include VAT (to confuse customers), the 1:1 conversion rate does make sense to some degree.

As Nintendo of Europe sells its Switch systems to Nintendo UK, a subsidiary, I assume that the price for the base SKU will be 229 EUR, and not 249 EUR. Otherwise NoE would subsidise its UK business for no particular reason.

holy shit the euro went down..

Branduil

Gyros are ridiculously cheap to include. The price wouldn't tell us if they're included either way.

So due to the UK's horrendous pricing, it'll be $200 and $250 respectively. Count me in for the deluxe edition. Don't even care if it's a port, I'll play any Wii U first party title again.

People saying that customers will buy PS4 instead of this forget that most likely they already have one, or XBOne...

Or if they haven't, there is a large possibility that they are not interested in PS4/XBOne.

Switch is different, it can be played on the go, while commuting for example. It also has some novelty value (interesting design, controllers look funky and/or doggy).

If Nintendo can keep online free but somewhat robust, that would be a big thing. They could use it marketing, many parent doesn't know that you have to pay for PSBone online.

There is lots of positives about Nintendo Switch, but Nintendo needs good marketing to actually tell people about the good things. That is the most important thing.

goldenpp72

People should remember that Black Ops 2 on Wii U was a port of the existing 360/ps3 version, pretty sure anyways. The Wii games were admittedly tailored for the Wii hardware but that system also sold PS2 levels for awhile.

Jonnax

I was worried that I'd not be able to get one on release day but with the rumour that Zelda won't be out at launch. I've lost interest.

Nintendo would be stupid if they didn't delay the Switch for Zelda.
The PS1 and Xbox sold a million consoles pretty much on day one.
The Switch ain't gonna sell well with a couple of Wii U portz.

75% of Wiis initially sold were sold with Zelda.

I was worried that I'd not be able to get one on release day but with the rumour that Zelda won't be out at launch. I've lost interest.

Nintendo would be stupid if they didn't delay the Switch for Zelda.
The PS1 and Xbox sold a million consoles pretty much on day one.
The Switch ain't gonna sell well with a couple of Wii U portz.

75% of Wiis initially sold were sold with Zelda.

We'll likely get a 3D mario game(like the reveal), not to mention at least one 1st party AAA port, and a plethora third party games. Zelda being delayed by 3 months isn't a a big deal.

We'll likely get a 3D mario game(like the reveal), not to mention at least one 1st party AAA port, and a plethora third party games. Zelda being delayed by 3 months isn't a a big deal.
Yeah, as long as it's got a mainline 3D Mario or Zelda at launch, it'll be fine. You need one at launch, then maybe the other (or at least another major first party release) to show off at E3 for Xmas.

Xun

I'm pretty sure we'll get more out of Nintendo at launch than 2 enhanced ports and a 3D Mario or Zelda.

Too many are jumping to conclusions.

AzaK

I'm pretty sure we'll get more out of Nintendo at launch than 2 enhanced ports and a 3D Mario or Zelda.

Too many are jumping to conclusions.

What makes you say that? They won't blow their load right at the start and will want to keep games coming out throughout the year. They can't rely on third parties because, well, most third parties will abandon them within a few months.

Vena

What makes you say that? They won't blow their load right at the start and will want to keep games coming out throughout the year. They can't rely on third parties because, well, most third parties will abandon them within a few months.

Ubisoft's been leaked to hell and back to be there at launch, and after as well.

Monster Hunter XX is almost certainly a launch title, no amount of illogical posturing will explain that date.

Retro has had a finished project for the better part of a year, and probably deep into their next. Perfect game for launch, especially if its a new IP.

3D Mario has been postulated as a launch title. There are numerous other teams that have "due" projects or projects to expect into the year.

Nintendo has a penchant for "bundle title" tag along.

lolskyrim

DQXI is going to end up releasing very near to the NS launch date (for Japan), already confirmed as a title.

And so on....

?

£40 is exactly how much I paid for my pro controller when it came out.

Xun

I just feel we'll at least get 2 new games at launch, that's all.

3D Mario + something else would suffice in conjunction with ports at launch.

LordofPwn

Ubisoft's been leaked to hell and back to be there at launch, and after as well.

Monster Hunter XX is almost certainly a launch title, no amount of illogical posturing will explain that date.

Retro has had a finished project for the better part of a year, and probably deep into their next. Perfect game for launch, especially if its a new IP.

3D Mario has been postulated as a launch title. There are numerous other teams that have "due" projects or projects to expect into the year.

lolskyrim

DQXI is going to end up releasing very near to the NS launch date (for Japan), already confirmed as a title.

And so on....

gonna need to see the receipts on this one. last i had heard was that they're going to try and have it done by May of next year, and there wasn't a lot of optimism in the air when it was said. (the disappointing Anniversary Stream) i think we'll be lucky to see it stateside this year, and my expectations are for spring 2017. if i was them i also wouldn't want to release DQXI anywhere near BotW.

If they abandon, its because they don't male a profit. Quit being so pessimistic right out if the gate. Anything can happen.

Thraktor

It doesn't exactly take them blowing their load to have more than 1 original game at launch, as they always have.

Although I actually have pretty high expectations for the amount of first-party software being released in the first year, I wouldn't expect too much on launch day itself. It doesn't really make sense to over-do first party launch software, as you're releasing software while the install base is at its smallest, and there's only so many games launch customers are going to buy. They're probably best off with one main system seller, along with perhaps a secondary game targeting a slightly different audience, and then allowing third parties to fill out the rest of the lineup. In this case it's likely Mario, and then either a system showcase mini-game collection a-la Wii Sports or Nintendoland, or possibly a Splatoon/Mario Kart/Smash Bros port. Then sprinkle the rest of their first-party releases every few weeks for the rest of the year.

It's also worth noting that the DS only had a single first-party game at launch, and it was a port (Mario 64 DS). Third parties are also generally happier with a thinner first party lineup at launch (so long as there's enough to push system sales), as the more money launch day buyers spend on Nintendo software the less they're going to spend on other games. We're also going to potentially have a pretty crowded third-party lineup at launch, as publishers re-release older titles to try to get some sales out of the "now you can play it anywhere" novelty (e.g. Skyrim).

AzaK

lolskyrim

And so on....

The discussion was about Nintendo's games, not third party.

If they abandon, its because they don't male a profit. Quit being so pessimistic right out if the gate. Anything can happen.

Exactly, and they won't make a profit. Who in their right mind will buy a third party, typically console (Not hand held) AAA game for Switch over buying it on their PS4/XBO? I think there is a massive overestimation as to the number of people that will accept considerably less performance (From what we've heard) just to be able to take the game with them.

I think the best we can hope for is if the casual games like Fifa and Madden stay on it because the average joe(lene) will be happy with the graphics.

On the subject of third parties, I do think it would be best to keep expectations in check. This won't be PS4 + Nintendo First Party. Expect a large number of exclusive titles from Japanese devs and publishers, and maybe a modest step up in terms of western AAA support over Wii U. Probably a number of niche titles that would previously be PS4/Vita exclusive go multiplat to Switch.

I'm personally envisioning basically a combined 3DS/Vita/Wii U library, and I'm pretty happy with that. I already have a gaming PC and a PS4. The reality is that Nintendo having every western AAA multiplat will serve next to nobody. A strong library is not necessarily an identical one.

It's also worth noting that the DS only had a single first-party game at launch, and it was a port (Mario 64 DS).
Ahh, I guess that was the case in the west. I was double checking with Japanese info, where the DS launch also included WarioWare Touched, Polarium, and Band Brothers, which were released later (if at all) elsewhere.

Top Bottom