• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: 2 Switch SKUs planned, UK Retailer GAME will sell at £199.99 and £249.99

TannerDemoz

Mario Kart 8+ is the obvious choice for a pack in! I'd be okay with that. It's unlikely to be something more complex.

Yeah, this. They're gonna want to show off the multiplayer aspect of the console and Mario Kart will deliver on that.

UK wise, I can certainly see GAME having an offer where they're offering BOTW slightly cheaper with the console if its a launch title

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
They should have done only the 250$ SKU

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So this is likely scenario then

£200
Switch with 64GB Internal Memory

£250
Switch with 128GB Internal Memory

Pack in New IP
Uses all Switch Gimmicks
- 2 Player Local Multiplayer using Detachable controllers
- Local Multiplayer between multiple Switch devices
- Optional touchscreen control scheme
- Optional Pointer control scheme
- Optional Gyro control scheme
I dont think we will have a SKU with 128gb flash internal memory anytime soon since it would be quite expensive for such a device. If you are interested digital downloads you are supposed to get a bigger Micro SD card. You can get 128gb micro sd card for 20 bucks and 256gb for under 50 by the time Switch launches.

Lucifon

Which is precisely why you bundle it (or Mario). Not only do you do a bundle, but you also make it a Zelda themed Switch console. Many feel that Zelda will be one of the GotY candidates next year. Make the package as attractive as possible. So, right away they can launch with an ad campaign focusing on how one of the best games of the year is bundled with the Switch. This would almost certain ensure that the Switch doesn't get off to the same slow start as the Wii U.

No way, you don't do themed consoles from day one.

Mario Kart seems most likely to me. It's a glorified port, so it's cheap. It's family friendly, and appeals to everyone. I think you leave Zelda to be sold separately, not everyone wants to jump into a console with a long RPG (I do, but many won't).

Robin64

I mean, I love Mario Kart 8 a lot, and I got both DLC packs, but a Mario Kart 8+ as a pack-in wouldn't be all that appealing to me. Sure, they have to entice new players, but they have to attract people who own a Wii U already too, there are some of us out there.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The one with more storage better have more than fucking 32GB. What a joke given how cheap storage is now.

I can buy a 128GB Ultra Fit drive for $35AU for fucks sake Nintendo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
uhm...
honestly, I would have expected a "premium" sku at 250 EUR with baseline going for 229 (or even 200)...
Instead we get..
299 pound for premium sku..
which if they do a 1 pound : 1 eur conversion, is 300 eur for premium sku (without any game, without secondary controller) but i fear they might do a 1 pound : 1.20 eur conversion..

we'll see..
I want it for sure as a collector, but I cannot justify switch at more than 300 WITHOUT A SINGLE GAME..
comparatively speaking, I was able to snatch ps4 with killzone shadowfall, secondary controller and movement bar for 390 at launch...
paying 300eur (or more if they don't do a 1:1 conversion) for a nintendo console without secondary controller, without any game bundled and with spec that might still NOT be on bar with the current gen definitely irks me the wrong way....

Can one fail at reading more than this? How is this even possible?

KAL2006

Banned
I would have prefered a more expensive Premium bundle that they went all in on

£300
128GB Internal Memory
Pro Controller
Bundled Game

And Basic SKU

£200
32GB Internal Memory

But likely scenario us Premium SKU will only be 64GB and with no Pro Controller as it's only £50 more than the basic.

I'm guessing 32GB for basic SKU and 64GB for more expensive one

Hopefully that bundled game isn't weak tech demo like Sports or Nintendoland but something solid like Zelda (ideally) or Kart/Smash/Splatoon remaster

The one with more storage better have more than fucking 32GB. What a joke given how cheap storage is now.

I can buy a 128GB Ultra Fit drive for $35AU for fucks sake Nintendo.

Wii U launched with 8gb and 32gb options, its a fair bet that 32gb will be the minimum for the cheap switch, personally i'd hope to see the options being 64gb/256gb but perhaps i'm being a little optomistic

$250 USD was the price I was expecting, and I'm happy about it!

The other SKU though, it makes me ask questions. A $50 price increase for more storage AND a pack in game? Seems like they are giving the storage away for free, so if the game is anything interesting you might as well bite.

Frankly, I didn't expect storage to be THAT important to the Switch just because of cartridges and cheap expandable memory (which I'm sure it will support). Unless they are really trying to push digital downloads and think the extra storage is enticing...it just seems like an odd value proposition for the Switch.

I'm guessing 32GB for basic SKU and 64GB for more expensive one

Hopefully that bundled game isn't weak tech demo like Sports or Nintendoland but something solid like Zelda (ideally) or Kart/Smash/Splatoon remaster

wont be Zelda everyone will buy that anyway, it'll surely be some sort of multiplayer game and although personally I loved Nintendoland i'd imagine it'll be something more focussed to sell the system to people

The other SKU though, it makes me ask questions. A $50 price increase for more storage AND a pack in game? Seems like they are giving the storage away for free, so if the game is anything interesting you might as well bite.

Frankly, I didn't expect storage to be THAT important to the Switch just because of cartridges and cheap expandable memory (which I'm sure it will support). Unless they are really trying to push digital downloads and think the extra storage is enticing...it just seems like an odd value proposition for the Switch.

the Wii U was 50 extra for more storage, a pack in game, stands and docks, a sensor bar and a digital discount scheme

Zedark

Well, if the pack in game is a port, like Mario Kart, then it would probably be worth less than 50 dollars or pound, so you would still pay a small amount (like 10 pounds) for the storage.

D3VI0US

Even at $300 there's no way they bundle Zelda. It'll be the new Wii Sports/Nintendoland or a Wii U port of Kart or Splatoon if rumors are to be believed. This price is expected but still so many questions for me to assess the actual value. Base system for $250 with 32GB, just rumored I know but also very Nintendo, doesn't sound like a good deal. Granted it depends on the size of games, if they are only 5ish GB that's not bad but I'd still go deluxe/bundle. Here's to more leaks cause January is too far away!

The_Lump

Banned
I would have prefered a more expensive Premium bundle that they went all in on

£300
128GB Internal Memory
Pro Controller
Bundled Game

And Basic SKU

£200
32GB Internal Memory

But likely scenario us Premium SKU will only be 64GB and with no Pro Controller as it's only £50 more than the basic.

You're talking like this has already happened. Did this rumour get confirmed as fact and I missed it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have a hard time believing the "same price with no conversion" thing.

It can't be 249/299 in Canada if it is in the US.

Sounds great. As others have stated hopefully the entry-level SKU has 32GB storage. Pricing isn't *that* surprising - this time last year the RRP of the Nvidia Shield Tablet fell to $199, and that device had a 1920 x 1200 display.

My question is whether £199 is *too cheap* for the Switch. Like what Ben Thompson mentioned over at the excellent Stratechery, it'd be preferable for Nintendo not to skimp out on stuff that'll matter in the long run (battery capacity to name one) just to save a few bucks and not make a product that's quite there for the wider audience.

Ben Thompson said:
Secondly, will Nintendo fully embrace a niche strategy? As I noted above, in a niche it is most important to convince consumers that they want your device; only then will they decide if they can afford it. If Nintendo skimps on the quality of its components, the performance of the device, or battery life just to save a few bucks, they may well please the people who were going to buy the device anyways, but plenty of others will stick with their good-enough smartphones or clearly superior consoles. Obviously the Switch should not be absurdly expensive, but it can definitely be too cheap.

Are they actually doing two models with varying storage sizes? Hopefully it'll be better than the storage capacity of useless and comically useless that the black and white Wii U had.

£200 seems cheap when you consider the fact that New 3DS XL is around £180 still. Or at least when I last checked.

No way, you don't do themed consoles from day one.

They only get one chance to do a first time launch with the game. And their 30th Anniversary for the series has been pretty pitiful given how important Zelda is to Nintendo. This would make up for it. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of how do they make sure that it flies off the shelves, and then continues to whenever it's restocked.

A port is certainly more likely for the reasons you've mentioned. But I think Zelda would be a much bigger system seller given that it's completely new and is going to have a ton of hype behind it.

Hoping its a Zelda bundle.
No. This is one of the biggest blunders they could ever make.

It needs to be Mario Kart, Splatoon or some new Nintendo Land/Wii Sports IP.

I have a hard time believing the "same price with no conversion" thing.

It can't be 249/299 in Canada if it is in the US.
Who said it would be the same in Canada? I'm sure the same conversion part only meant America and not Canada...

Never even looked at the Wii U but I'm Day one for this especially at that price. A pro controller would be essential for me for MP with my son and then I imagine some sort of carry case if it doesn't ship with one.

For me I would welcome a Wii sports type pack in game with some variety.

KAL2006

Banned
£200 Is impulse buy price range. And sooner or later some shops start becoming aggressive in the UK with price and I can see it going £180 down the line.

If Nintendo deliver with a decent games line up within the first year with a constant stream of quality games I can see Nintendo having a hit on there hands.

MANUELF

Banned
Hopefully they do extra skus, the american Wiiu zombiu edition was amazing and I got it for less than the premium edition

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh boy! Sounds like Day 1 pricing for a lot of people then. Not worried about the launch being weak for the NS, we just need to see the games.

January 12th can't get here any sooner.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
They only get one chance to do a first time launch with the game. And their 30th Anniversary for the series has been pretty pitiful given how important Zelda is to Nintendo. This would make up for it. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of how do they make sure that it flies off the shelves, and then continues to whenever it's restocked.

A port is certainly more likely for the reasons you've mentioned. But I think Zelda would be a much bigger system seller given that it's completely new and is going to have a ton of hype behind it.
Nah, the 30th amiibo are enough.

Shiggy

I wonder what Euro price that would be with the currently low British Pound. Can't see them sell it for 250 EUR as everyone would just import from the UK at that point.

It is important to note this is not a Nintendo set RRP, as in the UK manufacturers are not allowed to set RRP prices for consoles.

This is not true by the way. Manufacturers can set RRP prices, but Nintendo does not.

wont be Zelda everyone will buy that anyway, it'll surely be some sort of multiplayer game and although personally I loved Nintendoland i'd imagine it'll be something more focussed to sell the system to people

Nintendo needs this machine to be successful from day one since they won't get benefit of doubt from industry after Wii U.

And there's 50 pounds difference in price - you can buy new PS4 game and still have spare change for 64GB SD card.

KAL2006

Banned
I doubt the pack in game would be something substantial like Splatoon, Mario Kart or Zelda.

But if it was then I'd buy 2 Switches.

18-Volt

I expect multiple bundles with the more expensive SKU: Zelda, Mario 3D (yeah , expect it to be a launch title), Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty. Maybe some Bethesda game too whichever comes out on launch day, Skyrim or Fallout 4.

Top Bottom