• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

Why are people shocked? The freaking Gamepad gets 3 hours. This thing looks like it has fans cooling it and can run Skyrim remastered on it.

z0m3le

Banned
If it means it is close to XB1, that is 3 more hours than that system and PS4. Not like you have to use the function, but it will be nice to go back and forth on the light rail to work for me.

Phediuk

Were people really expecting better battery life from this thing?

All evidence pointed to the Switch being the next Game Gear in that respect.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I was thinking about this but was very hopeful considering the size of the system. Three hours is almost unacceptably short, so will wait and hope until actual figures come out closer to launch.

Vinc

If the dock DOES have processing power, even minimal, it would be truly amazing if it functioned as a reverse Wii U and allowed streaming from the tablet to the TV, allowing dual screen play or Wii U support via VC. Also, it would be very cool to have media apps on the dock while playing games on the tablet, like running Netflix solely on the dock and watching TV Shows while grinding in Fire Emblem on the tablet. Cool use case right there.

Shame about the battery life. I wonder if there could be some sort of battery add-on that plugs in where the joycons do.

Mariolee

Why? Just curious. She was pretty accurate with her reports in the months leading up to the reveal.

I trust her, but even so she has been wrong on a few things before just like any other leaker. For example, BGE2 was not revealed with a special CG trailer with the Switch reveal.

STGHMAAV

Banned
From the trailers, it seems that you can charge the tablet itself "on the go" just like a phone. I expect the tablet to be somehow compatible with powerbanks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Shit my Purple 3DS was never 3 hours on full battery. It was closer to 4-5 hours max.

Well Nintendo weren't lying with their "Home console first and foremost" PR lol. Staying docked 99% of the time.

With Wifi, 3D and everything on ? I doubt it.

hughesta

Banned
It's gonna be 3-5, most likely. Ubi's devkit shouldn't represent the battery life of the main console. I'd be shocked if that isn't improved.

LordOfChaos

I wonder if the dock is where the fan is, and blows air up the Switch's butt and up through it's head (you're welcome for the visual)

CvQEx3nVUAABugJ.jpg:large

Vana

Neo Member
Honestly most of the time I would be pretty much okay with a 3 hour battery life, since I would put it in the dock when I go home from work it will be charged at full every day. Same as for the WiiU gamepad, despite being very low, I almost never run of battery since I have it. Could be problematic for longer trip though.

Oregano

Why? Just curious. She was pretty accurate with her reports in the months leading up to the reveal.

Well I don't believe Laura is being deceptive or misreporting anything but it might bit necessarily be accurate with the final version.(hopefully)

Tempting to say that this means the Switch is DOA as a handheld, but I'm more inclined to think that users will simply find external battery solutions to extend their usage.

But it's disheartening nonetheless. Nintendo better get the bad news out now rather than waiting til the last minute, ala Sony and the PSVita.

Sounds about right. 3DS battery is pretty bad too. 3 hours, for me personally, is enough if I'm in an area where I can't play while charging.
But it's disheartening nonetheless. Nintendo better get the bad news out now rather than waiting til the last minute, ala Sony and the PSVita.
Yeah, I'm hoping for this too. Clear the air a bit before bringing everything back up when they start announcing software.

Guymelef

Need clarification after Nintendo words...

Additional performance thanks to dock? or less performance on handheld mode just to save battery?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Great, so it's a hybrid between two form-factors, yet it utterly fails at both.

Taking this with a grain of salt. Might as well not make it portable at all if this were the case.

Regiruler

It has to perform processing and it has a higher resolution than the gamepad while also being thinner, of course it was going to have an awful battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom