• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Laura (one of the reliable sources of Switch information so far) wrote a huge article about her sources and how she got all her information. I highly suggest reading it.

It is located here (any bolded emphasis is mine):

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

Multi-touch touchscreen:

The “Switch has a multitouch screen” Tweets

I am VERY confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch screen is a touch screen, but that is not core to most gameplay.

— Laura Kate Dale (@LaurakBuzz) October 20, 2016

I’ll be there for menus, for drawing, for certain games like Mario Maker port etc.

I’m confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch’s screen is a multi-touch screen.

As all Nintendo Switch games need to be playable with the handheld in the console dock, all Switch games will be playable without touch.

These tweets were based on information from Source A (Nintendo). As shown above, they knew enough to know when the reveal trailer was coming before the official announcement. They know their stuff.

Additional dock power:

The “Switch dock has some additional processing power” Tweets

RE: dock, what I’ve heard is additional processing (lacking specifics atm) for when docked. However, would expect a few secs to switch.

If there is additional processing in the dock, I would expect at least a few seconds to swap handheld to console etc.

This information again came from sources A (Nintendo), B (Ubisoft) and D (Manufacturing). None could confirm whether the dock is a PlayStation VR-style processing box which helps power higher resolution play when docked, or if docking the console simply allows the handheld to overclock and provides better performance that way. All sources claim the hardware has an easier time running docked compared to when out and about as a portable.

Many on Twitter have drawn my attention to this interview with IGN where Nintendo state that “The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch… The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system.”

To that, I reply that they repeatedly use the words “main function” and “Main Console” here which still leaves a lot of room for clarity. I believe these statements were aimed at clarifying the Switch was not another Wii U style console rather than saying the dock won’t in any way alter game performance. You can’t play the dock without the handheld, but that doesn’t mean the dock won’t improve game performance.

Battery life:
The “Battery Life” Tweet

To those asking about battery life on Nintendo Switch, I’m hearing “mediocre” battery life.

Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life. Source B (Ubisoft) has said a maximum battery life of three hours.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
3 hours?! Christ... How the fuck do you even call that portable?

Hopefully 3rd party batteries will be able to save us

Hoe would a game that requires the you h scree, like Mario maker, work in the dock?

Anker portable battery packs are going to be big sellers come Spring.

pswii60

What is 3DS battery life to compare?

EDIT: Sounds like the honeymoon period is already over lol. 24 hours at NeoGAF!

El Topo

That battery performance doesn't seem surprising. I'm sure there will be 3rd party accessories to help with that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The same people who expect PS4/Xbox One Power on portable will now be shocked that the battery life isnt +10h xD
Cant have it all. 3h as a worst case scenario isnt that surprising. Might be different on the final units compared to dev kits.
3 HOURS?

Holy shit that is horrendous!

Probably 3-5 hours depending on the game just like on 3DS. Lets hope there will be bigger batteries at launch.

novabolt

If true, that sucks mighty bad. I think that is at the low end of playtime on the 3DS (battery lasts around 3 - 5 hours of playtime).

Silkworm

Maybe Nintendo will offer a battery extender at some point (like with the Wii U) to get some money back. Accessories = money. ;-)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ubisoft source suggested the 3-hour battery life.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hasn't Nintendo come out and said that the dock has no addition processing power? Could have sworn there was a thread about it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn that does not sound good. One of the reasons I was kind of interested in the Switch is because I travel a lot, many times without access to a place to charge something. I'll wait till more official sources chime in but that is a bit disheartening to hear.

LordKano

Not surprised by the battery life, it's like the OG 3DS and the gamepad.

Interested by the additional power in the dock, I wonder if it's just for the 1080p output.

Honestly that battery life is about what I expected. An iPhone running an Unreal Engine game will die about that quickly, graphics on the level we're getting with the Switch are incredibly taxing on mobile batteries. I'm sure bigger batteries will be released down the road as accessories.

Plinko

I don't really trust her. Other sources?

It is not a portable.

Why? Just curious. She was pretty accurate with her reports in the months leading up to the reveal.

oti

Banned
3h

CR9PqLoWwAAtsxd.png

Be honest GAF, do you ever leave your house for more than 3 hours?

The dock thing sounds good though, I would be very disappointed if Switch is a 720p machine on TV.

J@hranimo

Banned
Probably 3-5 hours depending on the game just like on 3DS. Lets hope there will be bigger batteries at launch.

Shit my Purple 3DS was never 3 hours on full battery. It was closer to 4-5 hours max.

Well Nintendo weren't lying with their "Home console first and foremost" PR lol. Staying docked 99% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom