• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dropped to 10 users online.

Frankly the game lacks identity. All I ever saw was "yup, it's a shooter all right." The unmemorable character designs certainly didn't help.

KonradLaw

I love Raiders of the Broken Planet and it's struggling too. It's only been out a few weeks. Another niche title overlooked in a year of great games.
NlgrHm5.png

Anoter failed hero shooter. People predicted Overwatch success and threw themselves into the genre, forgetting that in each category only handful of titles can be successful. In a year we'll probably be talking how many battle royale releases from 2018 flopped

That really sucks but the game is just way too generic looking. There really isn't much to talk about in terms of how it looks which is where you can easily market your product. That's a big thing for hero shooters IMO, make heroes that stand out rather than blend into a crowd.

Anoter failed hero shooter. People predicted Overwatch success and threw themselves into the genre, forgetting that in each category only handful of titles can be successful. In a year we'll probably be talking how many battle royale releases from 2018 flopped

Its not really a traditional "hero shooter". Its more like Army of Two.

JWiLL

Banned
This is sad, damn.

I feel for the development team and even Cliffy (despite the hate he receives from many around these parts).

It's actually a VERY good game. I admittedly don't get to play as much as I'd like, so I'm part of the problem there, but it has fun heroes, great mechanics, unique map and weapon design...I figured it would find a solid audience.

Damn.

Even were I into the whole hero shooter or competitive multiplayer only market I would have avoided this game because cliff rubs me the wrong way.

Am I missing something, why are people suddenly hating on Cliffyb? I thought people loved him.
You might like someone who is talented, stubborn, opinionated and a jerk but when he is jerk to your face or something you are passionate about you suddenly change tune. Like most things it is not sudden but a gradual turning of the tides and so if you're not been paying attention you'll be a bit shocked to hear a person loved years ago is hated now.

Like Notch I can't help but feel there comes a time to retire from the public spotlight.

F2P won't save this game, nothing will. Assuming F2P does happen, player count will go up to about 1000-2000 and then down to 10 in a couple of weeks.
The free weekend managed to peak at just over 1000 but it I think from the thread about it you could argue it wasn't great timing as something was happening in pugb, CoD MP beta was in a similar time frame and the game is pretty big to download.

How many players does it need to make a billion dollars?
1295793.jpg

It'll all be worth it...particularly if the little player happens to pay $46,000,000 for that lootcrate.

Swarna

So according to SteamSpy, about 75,000 people own this game.

That seems like more than enough to run a much healthier population, so presumably there's something people fundamentally don't like about the game - or at minimum its retention model - that isn't keeping them around.

The game sucks.

Marcel

This up and comer is giving LawBreakers a real run for its money in the multiplayer-only arena. Watch out for this one folks.

nuO0kxg.png

gossi

The sadness of this outweighs the humour by far. That is a complete failure. A shame for those who made it.

It’s actually really fun on PS4.

The problem is this: they’re up against Destiny etc. The world has moved on from 90s skill arena shooters. Anybody can feel good at Destiny. They were doomed by the basic premise. Cliff bet the company on the past and, sadly, it isn’t going to pay off.

with such a crowded field of FPS shooters out there I wonder if a better direction would have been a 3rd person cover shooter. go try and give Gears some competition.

angelic

Banned
Cliffys problem, if I may put my own theory down, is that he has huge contempt for the business and all of his customers. The Groucho Marx effect, he doesnt want the patronage of any fan who would like his games. He resented the success of Gears, always harbouring his dreams of his own personal game eclipsing it's sales. Abandoning ship quickly after the main trilogy, refusing to climb the corporate ladder to become head of a Gears studio. Instead we got a few years of reclusiveness before the realisation hit that the industry was merrily doing fine without him.

Neogaf fans know what he thinks of his customer base, I'm sure none of this is really news. From the famous Gears 2 matchmaking joke to his other occasional appearances ("just to let you know the industry thinks gaf are cunts"), he barely conceals his contempt for the paying customer. You can see it in his e3 performances this year, every interview he gave was full of the same soundbites, the same spiel delivered through gritted teeth, the vocal message of "please buy my AAA indie shooter", while the eyes were a window to the "I hate each and every one of you" soul.

So we end up with a game that failed on pretty much every conceivable business and marketing level. Tweaked to remove all the fun in the name of balance, very bad price point, even worse release timing, Gears/Xbox fans playing their stuff on another console, Destiny / COD betas and PUBG taking up people's time. A desperate man, hawking a product that was clearly going nowhere, and case study of an ego (everyone's gonna buy a new cliffyB game!") trumping all logic and business sense.

Or I might be wrong.

Cliffys problem, if I may put my own theory down, is that he has huge contempt for the business and all of his customers. The Groucho Marx effect, he doesnt want the patronage of any fan who would like his games. He resented the success of Gears, always harbouring his dreams of his own personal game eclipsing it's sales. Abandoning ship quickly after the main trilogy, refusing to climb the corporate ladder to become head of a Gears studio. Instead we got a few years of reclusiveness before the realisation hit that the industry was merrily doing fine without him.

Neogaf fans know what he thinks of his customer base, I'm sure none of this is really news. From the famous Gears 2 matchmaking joke to his other occasional appearances ("just to let you know the industry thinks gaf are cunts"), he barely conceals his contempt for the paying customer. You can see it in his e3 performances this year, every interview he gave was full of the same soundbites, the same spiel delivered through gritted teeth, the vocal message of "please buy my AAA indie shooter", while the eyes were a window to the "I hate each and every one of you" soul.

So we end up with a game that failed on pretty much every conceivable business and marketing level. Tweaked to remove all the fun in the name of balance, very bad price point, even worse release timing, Gears/Xbox fans playing their stuff on another console, Destiny / COD betas and PUBG taking up people's time. A desperate man, hawking a product that was clearly going nowhere, and case study of an ego (everyone's gonna buy a new cliffyB game!") trumping all logic and business sense.

Or I might be wrong.
I'm sure this has something to do with it for a number of fans and potential consumers and your point is well articulated.

That wasn't he issue for me, but I can imagine it being one for many. For me it was just a more fundamental failure of their marketing team's approach to generating energy around the game itself. I felt no energy or buzz. I saw nobody of consequence playing it on Twitch. I saw nobody outside of Lawbreaker threads talking about the game (eg. nobody in any community threads mentioning it). I saw no commercials or significant coverage. And I think there was an opportunity missed to do some world/story building with CG videos featuring the characters and some background on the world of Lawbreakers. I personally don't care about Cliffy B as to me he is just another eccentric game developer, one of many whom I will happily patron if energized towards doing so. I simply never was, and I would have if given sufficient motivation to have done so. This is especially difficult for brand new IPs.

I think new IPs really need to have that kind of extra marketing effort, trailers, videos and whatever else.

Budi

Or I might be wrong.
So I know pretty much nothing about him and his relationship with Gears fans. That's not my scene. But are you aware how that GAF comment was inspired? It was because Cliff talked against E3 crunch. The developer just happened to work for Naughty Dog. So you can imagine how this was taken here and how it derailed the thread about E3 crunch and developer sleeping at her desk, to Cliffy B and what a douchebag he is for talking against the art of the Naughty Gods. More recent threads I've dug up about crunch time in GAF look like they would side bit more on the "crunch sucks and shouldn't be a thing" side. But not back then.

And honestly, I would look at us with that look. Not saying that Cliffy did though. But it's not like there hasn't been discussion about gamer toxicity and by toxicity I just don't mean misogyny and racism. But how developers are treated. Like you can see with Lawbreakers threads, the mockery and cheers for a game studio potentionally being in trouble.

The game was honestly one of the better MP shooters this year in terms of moment to moment gameplay feel. It's too bad the community never appreciated it. If you must compare it to a game like Overwatch, then I'd say the core gameplay of Lawbreakers is WAY better, at least on console with a controller. I guess people are more interested in characters than gameplay these days, despite everything you see saying " gameplay first!" It just rings hollow when a game like Lawbreakers fails as hard as it has.

It offers nothing new to the market.

PUBG did. Why would anyone want to play this? When they have overwatch to play? Then there's tons of other superior shooters.

Truant

I think the developers should embrace the failure and limit the max player count across all games to 10. Make it the first VIP online shooter.

Apathy

The game was honestly one of the better MP shooters this year in terms of moment to moment gameplay feel. It's too bad the community never appreciated it. If you must compare it to a game like Overwatch, then I'd say the core gameplay of Lawbreakers is WAY better, at least on console with a controller. I guess people are more interested in characters than gameplay these days, despite everything you see saying " gameplay first!" It just rings hollow when a game like Lawbreakers fails as hard as it has.

The man literally brought on comparisons to overwatch. He talked shit the entire time running up to the release. Also people are not going to stick with a game if it's gameplay is shit if you can get something better elsewhere, so ow must be doing something right

Mossybrew

I think new IPs really need to have that kind of extra marketing effort, trailers, videos and whatever else.

And before that you need some art and character design that actually stands out, makes people interested. LawBreakers just didn't have an appealing design aesthetic to build any marketing on.

angelic

Banned

Agreed, terrible marketing, and if ever there was a game to release in q1 or 2, this was it.

So I know pretty much nothing about him and his relationship with Gears fans. That's not my scene. But are you aware how that GAF comment was inspired? It was because Cliff talked against E3 crunch. The developer just happened to work for Naughty Dog. So you can imagine how this was taken here and how it derailed the thread about E3 crunch and developer sleeping at her desk, to Cliffy B and what a douchebag he is for talking against the art of the Naughty Gods. More recent threads I've dug up about crunch time in GAF look like they would side bit more on the "crunch sucks and shouldn't be a thing" side. But not back then.

And honestly, I would look at us with that look. Not saying that Cliffy did though. But it's not like there hasn't been discussion about gamer toxicity and by toxicity I just don't mean misogyny and racism. But how developers are treated. Like you can see with Lawbreakers threads, the mockery and cheers for a game studio potentionally being in trouble.

Which came first though, his contempt or his audience's? He's always been kinda douchey, just when he was young and wild (for want of a better term) it was endearing. When it's a 40 something millionaire doing it it kinda loses it's charm.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Feel awful that people put work into something for so long

Played the beta and it was good, but just thought the design and art was unbelievably bland and felt that it didn't know really what it wanted to be

It was like halfway between arena shooter and overwatch. But didn't go in either direction enough.

Budi

Which came first though, his contempt or his audience's? He's always been kinda douchey, just when he was young and wild (for want of a better term) it was endearing. When it's a 40 something millionaire doing it it kinda loses it's charm.
I have no idea, I played his early PC games but never followed the guy. I think I learned his name only after people were hyping up Gears.
The man literally brought on comparisons to overwatch. He talked shit the entire time running up to the release. Also people are not going to stick with a game if it's gameplay is shit if you can get something better elsewhere, so ow must be doing something right
He was literally asked all the time directly, he didn't start it. You seem like someone who hasn't played the game.

angelic

Banned
It's a great point about his shit-talking and Overwatch comparisons. If you let people discover something themselves, they embrace it. If you tell people what to think, they resist.

I'm expecting this to be a PS+ Free game soon.

LawBreakers is the first AAA game in years to actually have something to say so I hope they can turn this around.

aember

I also love Raiders of the Broken planet, but they need to really embrace solo play, like Warframe does. At present, you can play solo, but you get crap for rewards and you can only get the rewards once per difficulty setting. This leads people into matchmaking, which inevitability takes too long, which then just causes them to leave.

It definitely needs some tweaking. Solo play rewards & difficulty, being able to play without a full team, tweaks for the antagonist to name a few.

It's pretty much my favorite game of the year so far, but it needs some work to keep the community alive.

Top Bottom