• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dropped to 10 users online.

Tapejara

That's disappointing. I actually decided to check it out when they had the free weekend and had a lot of fun with the few matches I played. Was even considering picking it up when the free weekend was over, but decided to wait and see if the player numbers held (a couple hundred concurrent players is a good enough size imo). It really is quite a bit of fun, and if Boss Key isn't able to save the game (either by going F2P or doing some Lawbreakers 2.0 type thing), I hope they can salvage some of the ideas for their next game.

sense

I ain’t the biggest cliffyb fan but constantly highlighting stuff like this just seems means spirited. We have known for many months the game has bombed, atleast on pc, so not sure why we need to keep beating a dead horse.

I discussed it with my friend, and we agree it needed more waifu characters like Tracer or Widowmaker. The designs aren’t appealing like OW.

Blam

I ain’t the biggest clffyb fan but constantly highlighting stuff like this just seems means spirited. We have known for many months the game has bombed, atleast on pc, so not sure why we need to keep beating a dead horse.

Yeah it bombed but this time it's dead. Last time I saw this it was around 100-150 people.

Now there's literally a handful of people playing it.

Zafir

How sad.

It not being F2P killed it for me. I would have given it a second chance otherwise. (Wasn't a massive fan when I tried it in beta quite a long time ago)

dugdug

Banned
I ain't the biggest cliffyb fan but constantly highlighting stuff like this just seems means spirited. We have known for many months the game has bombed, atleast on pc, so not sure why we need to keep beating a dead horse.

Some people love schadenfreude.

-MD-

What happened?

I was one of the people that really praised Lawbreakers and played it daily.

3 weeks ago Patch 1.4 hit and it butchered the game. In a failed attempt to appeal to the masses they changed how the game played, they ruined my favorite class and I haven't been back since.

roytheone

How was this not f2p? Disaster of the generation.

They need to become F2P as soon as possible now. With drops to 10 players, even people willing to buy the game will not do it because that low of a number makes it nearly unplayable. Nobody is going to buy it now.

Biscotti

Neo Member
Even during free weekends the game had very little people playing. The movement is nice and really thats about it. The only thing memorable about that game is the meme ball mode that appealed to the szechuan sauce squad.

The character and style just look ugly to me, I find the game as unattractive as a middle aged man with 80s hair style.

retro-mullet.jpg

Just looking at the game make me feel....ugh.

Marcel

I discussed it with my friend, and we agree it needed more waifu characters like Tracer or Widowmaker. The designs aren't appealing like OW.

Cliffy felt his characters were Quentin Tarantino-esque and a push against Overwatch's anime designs. Not sure what he meant by invoking QT but that was his aim as nonsensical as it was.

TheYanger

Even during free weekends the game had very little people playing. The movement is nice and really thats about it.

TBF, what's the point during a free weekend of me downloading the gmae just to play for 2 days if I know it's not going to have a population to play with afterwards? I'm not going to buy it at that point.

They HAVE to make this F2P. It's just too risky a proposition otherwise for any potential customer to invest in it.

Quonny

WildStar syndrome. May be a good game with good updates that fix the problems, but once you get branded a ‘dead game’ it doesn’t matter what you do.

I doubt F2P would even move the needle more than a temporary influx at launch.

Gator86

Sad to see for a game basically everyone agrees is at least solid to good, at worst but it was always doomed. There's some surprisingly good analysis on the game and why it bombed in a lot of those old threads on it, buried under lots of jokes, of course.

Game definitely needed more characters people want to fuck or see fuck if it wanted some of that Overwatch market share.

Neidii

Aw welll that's a shame. I really liked it in the beta, but I never bought it. I just have so much other stuff to play. I think there are way too many mp games out there like Overwatch, Paladins and ofc Pubg and Fortnite etc. There's only so many hours in a day i just don't think LawBreakers was unique enough to make people invest time in it. Maybe if it had been released a few years earlier, who knows.

While the gameplay was fun I personally disliked the art style and the character design

Biscotti

Neo Member
WildStar syndrome. Maybe a good game with good updates that fix the problems, but once you get branded a ‘dead game' it doesn't matter what you do.

Wildstar was lacking content for awhile, it's sad because their f2p store was actually fair. ( I spent 200 dollars trying to get a fucking spider mount god kill me pls.)

Marcel

WildStar syndrome. Maybe a good game with good updates that fix the problems, but once you get branded a ‘dead game’ it doesn’t matter what you do.

According to players one of recent patches ruins certain classes and the entire game for some so I don't know about that.

Lucifon

ao3hEcb.jpg

What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

I don't see how this game tanked so hard in a week where nothing big was releasing.

Internet threads and articles like this.

But seriously that is a major factor - so much discussion over number fears that people don't buy it and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. But it had a number of marketing, art style and promotional issues that resulted in this. It's a damn fun game too. I hope it goes F2P and finds success, it deserves it for how fun it is.

Nick_C

I was one of the people that really praised Lawbreakers and played it daily.

3 weeks ago Patch 1.4 hit and it butchered the game. In a failed attempt to appeal to the masses they changed how the game played, they ruined my favorite class and I haven't been back since.

Butchered how?

KonradLaw

PUBG happened, and there's just so many other good games out ATM.

And even outside of it there's a huge number of semi popular pc shooters today plus couple big one. unless you do something really unique you will have huge troubles breaking through/
I liked the Lawbreakers during open betas, but even among it's specific subset of shooters why would people pick it up over Dirty Bomb, Paladins or Overwatch?

Biscotti

Neo Member
The way people fetishize the failure of this game weirds me out.

I actually enjoyed the last free weekend to a certain extent, then I kept getting into lobbies of premades stomping the free weekend players and it became less fun. At that point there was zero reason to buy a game that only had a "hardcore" community left. It's possible that it was riddled with hackers for the free weekends as certain cheating websites made their lawbreakers cheats free for that weekend.

Brannon

Deep down, people didn't want to pay money for a game that was advertised and designed as a F2P game first. Yeah they made changes, but the stigma is already there.

CHC

I do find it legitimately sad - making any game takes work and from what I understand there wasn't much egregiously wrong with the game itself, more its context.

But that is low, almost unbelievably so. More people are playing Brink.

Tareskog

no loot boxes

I don´t think you´re far from the truth. Despite how much the vocal minority like to bash the loot crate business, it does seem like the majority of gamers like it.

Also the marketing before release was non existing, and all the other popular multiplayer games like PUBG.

Glass Rebel

I don‘t think there‘s any conceivable way to save this game anymore. They had to move fast with the move to F2P and I think they missed that window of opportunity.

The brand is beyond toxic now so the only way forward is to completely divorce themselves from it and do something new.

Biscotti

Neo Member
I don´t think you´re far from the truth. Despite how much the vocal minority like to bash the loot crate business, it does seem like the majority of gamers like it.

Also the marketing before release was non existing.

The game has loot boxes.

Top Bottom