• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dropped to 10 users online.

GRIMREEFZ

"Lawbreakers will be free to play. Just kidding"
"Lawbreakers will be PC exclusive BC controllers suck and console arent good enough. Just kidding."
Probably their inconsistent promoting & the fact that the game has a steep learning curve.

coolstones

Neo Member
That's pretty sad because the gameplay looked fun actually. I just spend too much time in other multiplayer only games, which has been infuriating me lately.

RMI

Banned
Am I missing something, why are people suddenly hating on Cliffyb? I thought people loved him.

he is an ass to people online on a regular basis and seems to have a bit of an ego, so there is an understandable amount of schadenfreude here.

The guy is a talented game designer for sure, and this looked like a cool game. It just seems like it came out a little too late once most of the community for this type of thing had already committed to other games and weren't interested in switching.

I hope he does something like GoW again. Not necessarily a 3rd person shooter, but something that becomes the benchmark by which the genre is judged again.

Budi

he is an ass to people online on a regular basis and seems to have a bit of an ego, so there is an understandable amount of schadenfreude here.
If there is one thing us gamers take a stand against, it's being an ass online. Nothing but love and respect in Neogaf to developers and fellow gamers. Not to mention something like Twitch and Youtube, welcoming and supportive places for discussion and to share our hobby.

Nick_C

hella painful

vVkoPPU.gif

Castef

Banned
It was MP-only.

Just like Overwatch and Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, you know...

"It is just multiplayer" is no longer an excuse for non selling well since like 2010...

I guess also Titanfall and Titalfall 2 demonstrated this.

The issues were others, like lack of promotion, not-so-stellar design, wrong choice of platforms and more.

Drencrom

he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.

No XB1 version is the reason why no one plays this game on PC? lol

Lots of older Gears fans have a PC or PS4 besides XB1, saying none of Cliffy's fans bought the game simply because it wasn't released on Xbox is kinda silly.

jg4xchamp

It’s a shame since the game is genuinely good. Those zero G fights on some maps were some of the best gameplay moments of the year for me. Oh well on to the next mp game that will be fun for a week before it dies.

Z3M0G

I simply find the game visually unappealing.. boring art style. It kept me from even wanting to learn more about how it plays, etc.

Well looks I was wrong. RIP Lawbreakers it seems. Don't know how they can come back from this. Shame it was damn good too

I agree, there isn't anything they can do at this point to save the game. Even going F2P isn't going to make the game more friendly to new people and have them stick around. I know a lot of people are having fun at the news because of Cliffy B being a douche but I find it sad because it was a genuinely good game that scratched an itch for an old school shooter fan like me and it's failure is just more proof that the industry and it's players have moved on.

F2P won't save this game, nothing will. Assuming F2P does happen, player count will go up to about 1000-2000 and then down to 10 in a couple of weeks.

amdb00mer

Lots of older Gears fans have a PC or PS4 besides XB1, saying none of Cliffy's fans bought the game simply because it wasn't released on Xbox is kinda silly.

I agree, but releasing it on X1 would have helped. Not sure if it would have been enough to save it though. Like I said I never have issues playing on my PS4, but then again I do always seem to play with the same people. I would have preferred it on X1 as that is where all my friends game. I don't think the game is a permanent exclusive either. I think it is timed and we may still see it on X1 at some point. Especially if it goes full on Free to Play next year.

Randomizer

Wow that's really sad for the developers. Not my type of game but looks very polished and solid. Mechanical more interesting than others in the genre too.

Exile20

It’s a shame since the game is genuinely good. Those zero G fights on some maps were some of the best gameplay moments of the year for me. Oh well on to the next mp game that will be fun for a week before it dies.

What are you talking about? This game started out with an extremely bad player count. There were a lot of mis-step before the game was even released.

The marketing for this game was bad, not being on xbox was bad, the attitude of cliff was bad....everything except the game itself was bad

WHM-6R

Neo Member
What happened?.

PUBG for one.
Tough market.
People are sheep.
When the story became how many weren't playing it was already all over and this is just beating a dead horse.

If only there was a platform it could've been released on that is largely said to be starving for games and had a player base that is largely said to only like shooters...

Gator86

F2P won't save this game, nothing will. Assuming F2P does happen, player count will go up to about 1000-2000 and then down to 10 in a couple of weeks.

Basically. I think they maybe had a small window near launch to try a big pivot, but that window is absolutely shut now with stuff like Fortnite BR free everywhere, the fall release calendar, DLC drops for the big MP titles, etc. It's a wrap.

Spending even another dime on this game seems more like wishful thinking and sunk cost reasoning for the devs.

_Legacy_

Should have released as ftp and
on the XOXO or whatever Cliffy calls it these days

The game did look interesting, I just didn't care enough to buy it or even play the demo. RIP Lawbreakers, dead in the space of two months.

Papacheeks

Banned
Law-breakers.......breaking the player count one law at a time!

Should have released as ftp and
on the XOXO or whatever Cliffy calls it these days

The game did look interesting, I just didn't care enough to buy it or even play the demo. RIP Lawbreakers, dead in the space of two months.

Funny thing this game started as a F2P game when it was first announced.

Castef

Banned

No, but I guess releasing it on XB1 would a bit wiser.

Cliffy B worked a lot on the console and he actually created some kind of fan base, while he is basically no one for a big chunk of the PS4 base.

Also, on PS4 there are more similar games in comparison to XB1 (for instance, Paragon is on PS4 and PC and not on XB1).

They could have worked with Microsoft to push the "return of the creator of Gears of War" and create a bit of sensation. Most probably it could have worked better than launching on PS4 with Sony not very interested in pushing the game (their attitude towards indie games is clearly changed, as you may have noticed).

So yes, launching it also on XB1 would have helped, for several reasons.

Yeah, it’s pretty much dead now (PC). I wonder how the PS4 numbers are doing. I’m glad I got to play it when it first was released because it’s a legitimately fun game. However, once Quake Champions came to Steam, I dropped it completely.

Hopefully Boss key can rebound from this.

Weston

I've had a ton of fun with Lawbreakers, but I haven't played in a couple weeks. I've just been playing other games. I didn't like the health changes either. I also don't know why they're pushing out leagues now. I get that people want them but it doesn't make sense given the population. It truly is an excellent game though. It's sad to see it doing so poorly. I've played well over 500 matches and I'll be back when they release the last class.

I love Raiders of the Broken Planet and it's struggling too. It's only been out a few weeks. Another niche title overlooked in a year of great games.
NlgrHm5.png

Marcel

I've had a ton of fun with Lawbreakers, but I haven't played in a couple weeks. I've just been playing other games. I didn't like the health changes either. I also don't know why they're pushing out leagues now. I get that people want them but it doesn't make sense given the population. It truly is an excellent game though. It's sad to see it doing so poorly. I've played well over 500 matches and I'll be back when they release the last class.

I love Raiders of the Broken Planet and it's struggling too. It's only been out a few weeks. Another niche title overlooked in a year of great games.
NlgrHm5.png

Leagues? How will that work with a peak of below 100 people?

Top Bottom