• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' launch numbers are much lower than Battleborn's - PCGamesN

E92 M3

Lot's of people playing on the PS4 and I have A LOT of trouble stopping for the night. It's such a FUN shooter.

Definitely one of the best out there.

Dueck

Banned
Lot's of people playing on the PS4 and I have A LOT of trouble stopping for the night. It's such a FUN shooter.

Definitely one of the best out there.
It's another Titanfall 2, unfortunately. Hopefully it ends up more like R6: Siege!

Seriously, I am having a blast with this game. It's 30 bucks. It's got amazing movement and gun feel. So what if it's the most generic thing in the world graphically. It feels absolutely great to play. If you're on the fence, pick it up now while it has a player base.

kodecraft

Seriously, I am having a blast with this game. It's 30 bucks. It's got amazing movement and gun feel. So what if it's the most generic thing in the world graphically. It feels absolutely great to play. If you're on the fence, pick it up now while it has a player base.

Yea, but it's not, not by a long shot.

jviggy43

I haven't paid much attention to this game, but as an outsider there's absolutely nothing that looks interesting or appealing about it. I would imagine the general public has similar feelings.
Pretty much. I have ow and this doesn't look like something that would pull me away from that.

The art is so bland.
You can pretty much only play offensively.
Playing the beta actually made me finally pick up Overwatch. Lawbreakers is still decent fun though.

I guess image goes further than actually being fun. It's a shame. The game is really different from anything else on the market, but because it doesn't look a certain way or some seriously out of place comparisons, people dismiss it. I'm hoping it bounces back when it starts getting more word of mouth, but I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can now in case that doesn't happen.

Its sad when a thread about launch numbers is longer than the OT. I played the beta and it was fun but i really hate the completely competitive nature of the game. It takes itself too seriously. Where are the fun maps and modes? Every map is symmetrical and extremely small. As soon as one team captures something or gets it close to their base, the other team takes it and gets it back to their base within 10 seconds. The back and forth just wasn't fun for me. Maybe its because the teams have to be really coordinated but with randoms, this is almost impossible. The lack of marketing and appeal doesn't help either. This and Agents of Mayhem seem like two games with potential but something just doesn't seem to click with people.

Kalentan

Nobody really cares about the characters in rainbow six siege, like at all. You could change them around and keep the same abilities/gameplay and that is all anyone would want. Unless they brought Clark or Ding back, but that is a different story.

That's like not true at all.

The amount of fan art and cosplay for Siege is crazy. They've made changes to characters faces and such based on the community. It's also a reason why skins are so popular for said characters.

After all, Siege is the community where the Lord Tachanka was born.

Its sad when a thread about launch numbers is longer than the OT. I played the beta and it was fun but i really hate the completely competitive nature of the game. It takes itself too seriously. Where are the fun maps and modes? Every map is symmetrical and extremely small. As soon as one team captures something or gets it close to their base, the other team takes it and gets it back to their base within 10 seconds. The back and forth just wasn't fun for me. Maybe its because the teams have to be really coordinated but with randoms, this is almost impossible. The lack of marketing and appeal doesn't help either. This and Agents of Mayhem seem like two games with potential but something just doesn't seem to click with people.

That's not been my experience with game modes at all. I mean, back and forth, keeping yourself mobile, is the point but there are a lot of times where you need to play defenseively and because of gameplay mechanics, there's no way for them to take things back to easily or quickly. Not sure if that was the state of things in the beta, but things change pace very quickly in the game depending on the circumstances

That's not been my experience with game modes at all. I mean, back and forth, keeping yourself mobile, is the point but there are a lot of times where you need to play defenseively and because of gameplay mechanics, there's no way for them to take things back to easily or quickly. Not sure if that was the state of things in the beta, but things change pace very quickly in the game depending on the circumstances

One thing i kind of like is that each match almost has mini rounds in it by resetting the objectives after every goal. I don't hate the game at all but I just don't like it enough right now to get it. There are other games I would rather buy at the moment but I am definitely not writing this game off. I liked it when it was first revealed and I still see some potential there so I will be keeping an eye on it. I would like more traditional game types as well like team death match or a free for all type gametype (like the one overwatch is adding) because this game is very skill based and free for all would feel like a fair challenge since you don't have to rely on randoms (not that I am the best or anything).

the_big_country

Neo Member

If you're on PC, a chunk of the playerbase has been playing since the first beta months ago, so they already have experience which is vital for how skill-based LB is. And there just isn't much a new player can to do to fight back.

If you're on PC, a chunk of the playerbase has been playing since the first beta months ago, so they already have experience which is vital for how skill-based LB is. And there just isn't much a new player can to do to fight back.

I don't know. I feel like Cliffy B just made the game and was still high from his success from gears that he thought anything he touches would automatically be popular and successful. Its either that or he just cares a lot more about the quality and type of game he makes and cares less about player count. I can't tell.

Budi

The art is so bland.
You can pretty much only play offensively.
Playing the beta actually made me finally pick up Overwatch. Lawbreakers is still decent fun though.
You are supposed to defend those objectives though and in Blitzball it's not uncommon to have Juggernauts as "goalkeepers" of sorts. So not sure how this would apply.
Overwatch basically took all that market for themselves.
And nobody would even care for that game if it was called the Legend of Powerwatch.

While this is somewhat true, I'd argue that because of Siege's focus on Operators, the community has grown attached to said characters. Their is a lot of love for the characters through either fan art or memes in the community.

I'd also say that Siege does a good job at making it very easy to tell characters apart during gameplay which from what I've seen of LawBreakers doesn't appear to be the case. Everyone looks the same from medium to long range.

That's kind of the point. Despite the lack of personality, due to the large and enthusiastic community, the relatively dry cast of characters have had personality imposed onto them. I'm sure the Lawbreakers community would have fun with its cast of characters too, given time.

I really enjoy the game. I love the art, music, animations, the whole thing. As a 39 year old, it scratches the Unreal Tournament itch from my youth. I don't feel like younger people really "get" that type of gameplay as easily. Babied by auto aim assist and casual stuff like Overwatch.

Hojaho

I really enjoy the game. I love the art, music, animations, the whole thing. As a 39 year old, it scratches the Unreal Tournament itch from my youth. I don't feel like younger people really "get" that type of gameplay as easily. Babied by auto aim assist and casual stuff like Overwatch.

Yeah, it seems to be the game with the closest UT feel right now. I guess it's too "niche" nowaday. As you said, it seems to be very unforgiving as well which is probably too hard for 95% of Overwatch playerbase.

And nobody would even care for that game if it was called the Legend of Powerwatch.

So true, so tragic. Overwatch really is fucking god awful for people who actually like skill based class shooters. I absolutely loathe what it has done for the genre and feel really bad for Bosskey. Lawbreakers is really well made and a lot of fun. I hope they manage to turn the stigma around on this game because it really doesn't deserve this.

Shifty

I feel like Cliffy appearing at a couple of events and running his mouth about it was not sufficient advertising for the game.

As a 39 year old, it scratches the Unreal Tournament itch from my youth. I don't feel like younger people really "get" that type of gameplay as easily. Babied by auto aim assist and casual stuff like Overwatch.

297.png

As a 25 year old who was raised on classic Doom and Quake, this is a heckuva generalization.

Hasney

I guess image goes further than actually being fun.

Not really, it's a solid game and pretty fun, but I have more fun with a lot of other, better shooters right now.

It's solid, that's it. Nothing special unfortunately, which is what it needs to be to stand out.

Lucifon

I grabbed this last night and played some - it's a blast! I missed the betas so it was my first time playing. The game is genuinely great, a tonne of fun and really harks back to the days of UT.

It's a real shame the numbers aren't great, but hopefully they can pick up. If not hopefully they make switch to F2P and reward those who've jumped in early - seems like the game would work well for it. I'd love to see some high level play of this.

Jacqli

Yeah, it seems to be the game with the closest UT feel right now. I guess it's too "niche" nowaday. As you said, it seems to be very unforgiving as well which is probably too hard for 95% of Overwatch playerbase.
With this elitism, the game is even less appealing. If the community is already like this, then enjoy the game the ten of you.

SMG

Dude I grew up with UT and all that but its not one or the other. This game simply didn't hit. Calling Overwatch a baby game is a little much, it really is all about using the heroes abilities to cover for the others weaknesses and is vastly different than UT

Moobabe

I really hate this. Press are so keen to set the narrative for a game that's been out, like, two days?

And then we all see the headlines - "PLAYER COUNT IS SHIT", "WORSE THAT BATTLEBORN", "DEAD GAME IS DEAD" and then it just self perpetuates.

Having said that, I didn't expect anything else from PCGamesN.

Word of mouth is not saving this lol. There's nothing to grow. There is no player base. It's down 2/3rds already from launch. And launch was last week.

This is beyond dead. Sorry if you liked it, but it's dead. 1K players and dropping when it's supposed to be at the height of it's popularity and sustained population is nothing.

And yes, some of you like it a lot, that's good, I'm glad you like it. But most response to it is generally meh, not good, not terrible, just kind of there and not really meeting any real expectations.

Word of mouth is not saving this lol. There's nothing to grow. There is no player base. It's down 2/3rds already from launch. And launch was last week.

This is beyond dead. Sorry if you liked it, but it's dead. 1K players and dropping when it's supposed to be at the height of it's popularity and sustained population is nothing.

And yes, some of you like it a lot, that's good, I'm glad you like it. But most response to it is generally meh, not good, not terrible, just kind of there and not really meeting any real expectations.

A bit of a hyperbole. It may not recoup all it's costs but it's far from dead. It has barely been reviewed yet by even the major sites. If people like it and it reviews well word of mouth will at least help build it's numbers.

As a 25 year old who was raised on classic Doom and Quake, this is a heckuva generalization.

It's a pretty damn solid generalization. Most kids your age werent playing Doom or Quake at (presumably) 6-8 years old. When they were the age to start to really play PC games, Doom and Quake likely weren't what they started with or even stuck with.

You take a group of gamers in their mid 20s and compare then to a group of gamers in their mid 30s and id be willing to bet that those in their mid 30s have played a LOT more Doom and Quake.

He's got a valid, and likely correct "generalization" going.

Marcel

It's a pretty damn solid generalization. Most kids your age werent playing Doom or Quake at (presumably) 6-8 years old. When they were the age to start to really play PC games, Doom and Quake likely weren't what they started with or even stuck with.

You take a group of gamers in their mid 20s and compare then to a group of gamers in their mid 30s and id be willing to bet that those in their mid 30s have played a LOT more Doom and Quake.

LawBreakers being a game where bitter old men go to play isn't a generalization or perception you'd want people to have. It feeds into that whole "stay away" problem.

Marcel

LB's is being generalized like that is it?

I mean, having a player of the game basically say "you don't get it because you're a young whippersnapper" really spells it out one of the problems with the game, doesn't it? Both from the perspective of a member of its small community and making said community seem insular and elitist from the outside.

Lawbreakers is Overwatch for people who like shooters.

I don't really like the OW formula in the first place so I admittedly haven't stuck with Lawbreakers, but if you like OW conceptually and wish it weren't so boring and dumbed-down, LB is for you.

Gator86

Lawbreakers is Overwatch for people who like shooters.

I don't really like the OW formula in the first place so I admittedly haven't stuck with Lawbreakers, but if you like OW conceptually and wish it weren't so boring and dumbed-down, LB is for you.

Apparently this topic is now about bitter posters throwing shade at Overwatch. LB has definitely managed to capture an impressively embarrassing fanbase in such a short period of time.

I mean, having a player of the game basically say "you don't get it because you're a young whippersnapper" really spells it out one of the problems with the game, doesn't it? Both from the perspective of a member of its small community and making said community seem insular and elitist from the outside.

You referring to me? When did i say that?

And problems? I don't think the game has any problems aside from poor marketing and some cringey characters/dialogue. Game's great fun.

Xyber

Yeah, I'm 26 and when Doom/Quake were at its peak back then I didn't know a single person who played them and I don't think any of us would have known what those games were. Around 2002-2004 is when we started getting into PC games with CS 1.6 and then BF 1942/Vietnam.

Yeah, I'm 26 and when Doom/Quake were at its peak back then I didn't know a single person who played them and I don't think any of us would have known what those games were. Around 2002-2004 is when we started getting into PC games with CS 1.6 and then BF 1942/Vietnam.

This is exactly what... and all... i was saying. Someone gets it lol. :)

Marcel

You referring to me? When did i say that?

And problems? I don't think the game has any problems aside from poor marketing and some cringey characters/dialogue. Game's great fun.

I'm referring to the person you and others were quoting who is doing that "As a 39 year old..." thing. It's not a good look for your game's community to have old guys who seem bitter about actually popular games trying to assert themselves.

I'm referring to the person you and others were quoting who is doing that "As a 39 year old..." thing. It's not a good look for your game's community to have old guys who seem bitter about actually popular games trying to assert themselves.

I'm sorry you're interpreting "it" as "that". If you reread what i wrote and take LB's out of it i think you'll understand what we meant. If not see two posts above for someone else who interpreted it as i intended.

Top Bottom