• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' launch numbers are much lower than Battleborn's - PCGamesN

Sherif Saed's review of LB sums up my feelings exactly. Some good points below:

It's the game's attitude that rubbed me the wrong way more than anything, and I feel it may do the same to others. It's certainly consistent with itself, and I dare say that these small things likely reflect the nature of its designers. There's nothing particularly bad about a character that's in your face 100% of the time, but when all of them are this way it makes them less identifiable.

- via https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/08/everyone-is-busy-arguing-how-much-lawbreakers-is-and-isnt-like-overwatch-and-im-too-busy-having-fun-with-it-to-care/

I really agree with this excerpt. I haven't played the game, but that's the impression I've got from footage I've seen and trailers/promos etc. The whole 'edgy' design angle is really tiresome and unappealing.

Budi

I didn't see the e3 stuff, but every video of this I've ever seen makes me think that in order for this game to look like overwatch I'd have to step into an alternate dimension, and also have never seen overwatch either.
Overwatch is the shooter that people are aware of, so it gets compared to it. If they knew more about shooters we'd hear other more fitting comparisons. Just like people will start comparing any Battle Royale game to PUBG and not the ones that came before it. It's about popularity.

Duffk1ng

Overwatch is the shooter that people are aware of, so it gets compared to it. If they knew more about shooters we'd hear other more fitting comparisons. Just like people will start comparing any Battle Royale game to PUBG and not the ones that came before it. It's about popularity.

True. I saw Quake Champions compared to Overwatch because they both have heroes, which is a bit like saying Doom is like ARMA because they've both got guns in them.

Mossybrew

It's weird that this game never gets compared to Titanfall. It's probably the closest thing I've played to Lawbreakers gameplay wise. I guess no body else get's that impression. A first glance they look pretty different, but running around as Wraith immediately reminds me of Titanfall.

Actually after playing a few rounds of the beta, I fired up Titanfall 2 afterwards and the difference was immediate, Titanfall just feels so much better to play on a basic mechanical level IMO, and the weapons feel powerful and have 'punch', unlike LawBreakers. Which was disappointing, because one thing Gears had was solid, meaty combat. Somehow that's just missing here.

dugdug

Banned
It's not really like that in game tho. I barely notice it.

Yeah, I'm really struggling to understand this complaint. The characters *occasionally* say some dumb shit, but that's literally all there is.

I really believe a lot of these people went in with expectations of it being some big dumb Cliffy B-ass Cliffy B game so they're looking for that wherever they can find it.

Everyone keeps talking about the over the top chatter of the characters but I haven't heard it. They must of changed it before released because I hardly notice it.

The Blitzball has the best lines which is kind of sad.

Oh no it's still in there trust me lol. "Zone A/B/C is a shit storm!" is a fave. Lots of "fucks" and such too.

It's pretty cringe... but intentionally cringe (i believe - it has to be, right?!). LB is in this weird limbo between UT and OW in terms of tone. I think that's part of why it's so polarizing.

Actually after playing a few rounds of the beta, I fired up Titanfall 2 afterwards and the difference was immediate, Titanfall just feels so much better to play on a basic mechanical level IMO, and the weapons feel powerful and have 'punch', unlike LawBreakers. Which was disappointing, because one thing Gears had was solid, meaty combat. Somehow that's just missing here.

Odd... as a huge TF (1 &2) fan i feel the opposite. I think LB has MUCH more "punch" than TF. That said i do much prefer TF's jump kick. TF still has that CoD feel where LB has a much more impactful UT feel.

Kalentan

It's okay to make a game without anime weirdos running around. Hell, Rainbow Six Siege doesn't have especially interesting characters, but it's become one of the most popular MP titles.

While this is somewhat true, I'd argue that because of Siege's focus on Operators, the community has grown attached to said characters. Their is a lot of love for the characters through either fan art or memes in the community.

I'd also say that Siege does a good job at making it very easy to tell characters apart during gameplay which from what I've seen of LawBreakers doesn't appear to be the case. Everyone looks the same from medium to long range.

arimanius

Oh no it's still in there trust me lol. "Zone A/B/C is a shit storm!" is a fave. Lots of "fucks" and such too.

It's pretty cringe... but intentionally cringe (i believe - it has to be, right?!). LB is in this weird limbo between UT and OW in terms of tone. I think that's part of why it's so polarizing.

yeah but it's not a constant barrage of it which is how people are making it sound.

Budi

Some reviews have noted that it's toned down from earlier builds. Probably a good thing.

gossi

They just announced this on Discord:

Everyone who logs into the game and completes a match in the next 24 hours (that’s between now and ending on 11am PDT / 2pm PDT / 8pm UTC on Friday the 11th.) will get THREE Stash Drops once you log in after August 11th at 11am. (Limit one set of bonus Stash Drops per user account.)

I find it strange that so many people are decrying the game, then saying stuff like "I haven't played it but..."

Just play the game, it's a ton of fun. The gameplay is so much better than it's being made out to be. Yeah maybe the characters are a little bland or whatever, but these complaints of the edginess are way overblown. You can even turn off the swearing if you don't like it.

Ferrio

Banned
I find it strange that so many people are decrying the game, then saying stuff like "I haven't played it but..."

Just play the game, it's a ton of fun. The gameplay is so much better than it's being made out to be. Yeah maybe the characters are a little bland or whatever, but these complaints of the edginess are way overblown. You can even turn off the swearing if you don't like it.

There's plenty of recent games in the same genre that are tons of fun, gamers have the option to be picky.

pagrab

I watched GB Quick Look today and one thing that struck me is the 90's aesthetics. This might be a little bit too soon for it to be considered "retro", so it comes as obsolete and unintentionally cheesy. It was really obvious when Jeff reacted to the loot box animation (which is stylised to look like a 90s TV game show).

PSqueak

Banned
battleborn_pendles-592x600.jpg

Look at this Goofy looking snake guy, how can anyone not love him?

Easy, play a bunch of rounds against him!

Hari Seldon

It looks like it is simply far too late to the party. I played the shit out of Overwatch and got bored and have zero desire to play it or another type of game like it for a long time. PUBG is the new hotness.

While this is somewhat true, I'd argue that because of Siege's focus on Operators, the community has grown attached to said characters. Their is a lot of love for the characters through either fan art or memes in the community.

I'd also say that Siege does a good job at making it very easy to tell characters apart during gameplay which from what I've seen of LawBreakers doesn't appear to be the case. Everyone looks the same from medium to long range.
Nobody really cares about the characters in rainbow six siege, like at all. You could change them around and keep the same abilities/gameplay and that is all anyone would want. Unless they brought Clark or Ding back, but that is a different story.

Marcel

It's barely over 2000 viewers on twitch and thats with twitch shilling it constantly on the front page

From what I've seen from the beta it doesn't seem that fun to watch in a group setting. Maybe if you get someone REALLY good at the movement but otherwise it's fairly boring for a spectator.

It's barely over 2000 viewers on twitch and thats with twitch shilling it constantly on the front page

Yeah Twitch numbers are abysmal. The only time I see it remotely popular is when they're paying people to stream it with sponsored streams.

e2LcQgO.png

I'm curious how much they've spent paying streamers to play it because there's been sponsored streams for the game quite a lot. Right now Shortyguy is the only sponsored stream and the only one pulling good numbers. If he wasn't streaming look how bad the numbers would be. Not good for a game that just came out.

Game seems to be scoring reasonably well and presumably will be supported well into the future, getting better over time.

I hope it does okay for them in the end.

arimanius

Yeah Twitch numbers are abysmal. The only time I see it remotely popular is when they're paying people to stream it with sponsored streams.

I'm curious how much they've spent paying streamers to play it because there's been sponsored streams for the game quite a lot. Right now Shortyguy is the only sponsored stream and the only one pulling good numbers. If he wasn't streaming look how bad the numbers would be. Not good for a game that just came out.

What's funny is most of them are saying that the game is fun while the chat shits on the game lol

I watched Taimou this morning and he was having a blast and crackling like a mad man. Don't think his stream was sponsored tho

people paid to play a game saying they like it shocking /s

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This is really a vicious circle. I want to get the game but seeing how it's not even in the top 100 now and there are less than 2,000 concurrent players I'm worried that support for the game will drop shortly. With so many other competitors it's hard to get invested in a new franchise knowing that it will be short lived.

This is really a vicious circle. I want to get the game but seeing how it's not even in the top 100 now and there are less than 2,000 concurrent players I'm worried that support for the game will drop shortly. With so many other competitors it's hard to get invested in a new franchise knowing that it will be short lived.

When this game inevitably goes F2P they might actually have a chance to revitalize it, unlike Battleborn. Remove the barrier to entry and you'll get people to check it out. Honestly they really should have gone the F2P route. Paladins, despite being so very similar to Overwatch, has had success carving out a niche and population specifically because of this (imo). Also, they should have a good and decent tutorial before then, however. Demanding this level of mechanical expertise with links to youtube videos is kind of silly.

arimanius

When this game inevitably goes F2P they might actually have a chance to revitalize it, unlike Battleborn. Remove the barrier to entry and you'll get people to check it out. Honestly they really should have gone the F2P route. Paladins, despite being so very similar to Overwatch, has had success carving out a niche and population specifically because of this (imo). Also, they should have a good and decent tutorial before then, however. Demanding this level of mechanical expertise with links to youtube videos is kind of silly.

They had an open beta and the game is only $30. Going F2P isn't going to help. Plus F2P isn't the solution for everything.

The game has never once looked appealing to me.

Quake Champions is similar in that regard to an extent (to me) though I still tried the beta as I played Quake III back in the day.

Weston

Yeah I'm not sure free to play would have been the best choice. If the game isn't bringing in a lot of people it makes more sense to just get $30 a head from the people who like it, than try to appeal to a wider audience who don't seem interested. I'm sure they'll do a free weekend down the line to give people another chance to try it.

I can see it going free to play down the line, but I doubt they do it any time soon.

Yudoken

Hopefully Crowbcat will do a video about it.

I thought that it will heavily hurt the game being too long in development hell and there was no hype at all for this too.

But it bombed harder than Battleborn?

Yikes.

cripterion

Am I the only person who actually like Lawbreakers character design? I mean, Cronos looks like a member of Slipknot and is constantly put forward by marketing despite being one of the worst designs in the game, besides Helix. Other than that though I think the character design is great and also diverse.

Of the 16 human characters(plus 2 robots) 7 are women.
None of them are in sexy outfits and they all have distinct personalities. You won't find any cleavage in any of the alt costumes either. I guess you could argue Hellion's outfit is tight but she's a ninja it fits her design.

Of the 16 characters 7 are white.
Nothing wrong with white characters but it's nice that there is a good amount of diversity.

Other than being diverse I just think the designs look good and modeled in high fidelity. Some of the faces have some uncanny valley happening but overall they look like real people.

kintaro.jpg
sunshine.jpg
tokki.jpg
hellion.jpg
baron.jpg

I much prefer these characters to Overwatch. I would never have touched Overwatch if it wasn't for Blizzard being behind it. The game sucked for me though, Blizz or not lol.

Honestly watching videos from the OT (the character vids) and Lawbeakers looks good, too bad the player base is abysmal...

gossi

Hopefully Crowbcat will do a video about it.

I thought that it will heavily hurt the game being too long in development hell and there was no hype at all for this too.

But it bombed harder than Battleborn?

Yikes.

Battleborn had higher development costs than Borderlands (source: the publisher) and they spent huge on advertising, with cinema adverts, wall to wall TV adverts in the UK (which costs vast amounts of money), billboards etc.

This game was from a new studio, and had online adverts on YouTube.

In other words, expectations should be adjusted here.

bakeray

if there's this much misconception about the game, it really falls on the marketing team. I, too, thought this game was just another hero shooter but after reading the impressions in here I may end up snagging it with my PUBG loot box cash.

I love me some old school arena shooters.

Grassy

Listening to their fans was a bad idea. I know it sounds like corporate speak, but in several cases, going by what the community wants is not a good thing.

A heavily skill-based multiplayer-only game in this day and age HAS to be F2P. It's a sad fact, but unfortunately true. And before you bring up PUBG, that's not a skill based game. It strongly depends on how lucky you are.

PUBG isn't skill-based? I wouldn't say that myself. I mean there is an RNG/luck element to the beginning of the game when you land and have to find a (decent)weapon, and also to the positioning of the ending circles, but you can definitely use skill to overcome both those situations.

I certainly wouldn't say it "strongly depends on how lucky you are", but that's my opinion from 300+ hours played.

Top Bottom