• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers |OT| Zero G, With Cliffy B

I was sort of interested but there is no demo to try and by the time they get to a free weekend this will almost certainly be dead with no community.

Limited time beta's make no sense when you are a new developer with a new franchise making a MP only game. If someone like me misses out on your limited time beta because of time issues, thats pretty much a lost sale. A demo really should be a priority in cases like these even if it takes significant development time.
It's an online only game

How are they going to give you a demo outside of a free weekend (which is exactly the same as the open beta)

They can't limit characters, they aren't going to host simultaneous demo servers with one map

how does one make a demo of a MP only game. other than trying to get into the alpha/beta.

I... are you serious? Have you never heard of/played a MP demo? o_O

It's an online only game

How are they going to give you a demo outside of a free weekend (which is exactly the same as the open beta)

They can't limit characters, they aren't going to host simultaneous demo servers with one map

Why not?

If the alternative is 2500 people at launch, no sales and a dead community in a month maybe they should.

E92 M3

I've been trying to get into Assassin, but can't figure out a reason to use her over Wraith. I can move just as quick with him.

Any tips?

IHaveIce

Banned
SOLD.

Thanks everyone!

LUL either these people never played against good players or I don't know what happened to them, you will occassionally rage because no one else plays the objective or understands their class. If there is a very skilled Assassin going against you and you have no back up you are mostly fucked

Man there are some toxic-ass people in this game on PC.

That being said this game is WAY more fun than I had during the beta for some reason. Maybe I get the zero g mechanic better. Love shooting behind me, and the Vanguard is real fun.

Because at that point you are running a free to play game alongside your paid full version

It's 30 dollars, watch some videos and figure it out

How does 1 or 2 maps from their game make it a F2P version? Is the game really that thin on content?

And clearly people like me watching some videos and figuring it out isnt working out so well for them cause right now its on track to be left with a VERY small player base in about a month.

LawBreakers has no marketing campaign or hype surrounding it. Nexon need to make some moves, or I can't see this making cash-money.

2500-3000 online at launch is worrying news. I was expecting to close to around 7, so I'm clutching at straws for this to succeed.

Budi

I'm still really bad at this, but having fun. Haven't even cracked 6k score yet =D

Edit: Now I have!

I couldn't help but notice that Overwatch launched the summer games thing the same day of release of Lawbreakers, including Lucioball.

Its a smart business move but shoot... still feels a bit scummy? I guess they felt threatened but Overwatch is huge, doesn't seem like they need to pull stuff like this to keep players from leaving.

Someone mentioned it already, but I love how blizzard conveniently tried to cockblock this game with the summer games release today. Funny stuff.

They did the same with Battleborn, it had the same issues as LB where it was a fantastic game that people were already unwilling to give a chance and Blizzard pulling these kinds of moves does nothing to benefit themselves, just hurt the games they're trying to hurt.

The Summer Games in Overwatch ran from August 2, 2016, and ended on August 22, 2016 last year. It's only starting a week later this year.

The Summer Games were here first. Cliffy B did this to himself.

No he didn't, they decided to move it back a week for this exact reason

https://twitter.com/BossKey/status/894921646997479424

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say we're busting ass right now to fix the PS4 hitch. It looks like a bug snuck in after beta, we're trying to get a hotfix out ASAP.

I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to spend years making an awesome game, doing everything right and actually pulling it off only for people to go out of their way to spread hatred and vitriol against it.

I'm sure it's heart breaking enough to to work on a poorly received title when it deserves that reception due to factors out of the Dev's hands but to actually accomplish making a great game and then people hate it just because it's not Overwatch is bullshit.

I'm sorry the general reception around the game is negative (which has nothing to do with the merit of the game, the majority of the negativity is from Overwatch fans that are upset that their game may have some competition) but just know that you guys did an amazing job and the game is insanely good and that people like myself who were willing to give the game a shot have all fallen in love with it and will stick with it as long as you guys can afford to support it.

LUL either these people never played against good players or I don't know what happened to them, you will occassionally rage because no one else plays the objective or understands their class. If there is a very skilled Assassin going against you and you have no back up you are mostly fucked

Hmmm... I trust what you say. Not playing the objective is one of my pet peeves. I won't have anyone to play with so idk if I want to deal with that anxiety.

Iorv3th

Hmmm... I trust what you say. Not playing the objective is one of my pet peeves. I won't have anyone to play with so idk if I want to deal with that anxiety.

Add people from GAF and play with them. I'm thinking about getting it on PC too, but don't have any friends that play on PC.

tru0ne

Neo Member
I ordered the CE too, and you might be incorrect on the shipment schedule. Product page says it will ship on 8/8 (today) or close to it. Also says we should get codes today, too. Hope so, I'm so excited to jump in.

LArGjOu.png

This is taken directly from the CE description on their site

The physical copies of the game are expected to ship in September. In order to make sure you're breaking the law as soon as possible, the digital code for the full game will be sent out as close to the game's digital release on the 8th as possible.

And if you check them on twitter they stated that ps4 codes will go out as soon as they get them but it may not be until later this week.

Also just noticed that on the standard edition description they now say Digital codes will begin being sent out on or around August 10th or 11th. Its possible this applies to us CE's also.

Is this game as frustrating as Overwatch in solo queue?

Nope not at all. Even though it still a team based shooter, it's more about individual skill. Every class can dominate if played right, so there really are no hard counters. You just pick the one that fits your play style. The game has been a blast for me because individual skill shines and it's not about team composition or hard counters. It's just about how good you are as a player.

Don't know what to tell you

I've played on PS4 through the closed and open betas, and now the actual release

You asked regarding Overwatch and I stand by the fact that success is far less team/comp dependent

Assassin and wraith were both nerfed considerably from the closed beta. Like anything else they can catch you off guard and outplay you but I've never personally felt helpless as much as punished

I imagine PC players are more experienced with this style of arena game and obviously have more control freedom to do crazier/more precise shit so maybe that's where the assassin complaints come from for that poster (if they're on PC).

I mentioned that yes, as it is an objective-based game you will have the same shit of people not playing the objective or not understanding. The difference is in Lawbreakers is it far more feasible to carry your team and make a difference vs. Overwatch having tons of character abilities, buffs, boosts, and all sorts of other shit that will eventually squash you if your team isn't backing you up. Even something as basic as not having a healer (which again, isn't something you need for success in Lawbreakers). Similarly, the Battle Medic in Lawbreakers can still wreck shit and isn't just a secondary character that needs to hide behind their team

just be battle medic and throw 'nade at the ground until something dies. it works great when youre just lobbing them from a distance while youre team is trying to kill them. most of the time if they aren't smart they won't realize what's going on. i've had a couple of games they started to finally chase me down. it's probably because i was #1 on the team lol

twitch prime loot is up.

HOW TO GET YOUR EXCLUSIVE LOOT:
1. Boot up your copy of LawBreakers (PC or PS4).
2. Head into the game Options.
3. Click on Twitch.
4. Next to the "Account" option, select the "Link" button.
5. The game then starts your default web browser to open a confirmation page.
6. Log in and click ”Confirm." When you return to the game, you will have a confirmation and your loot will be available immediately.

NOTE: You may need to log out of Lawbreakers and then back in after redeeming this content on Twitch.tv.

Overcharge is so fun

The enemy stole the battery with 1 second left on the 100% countdown, stopped them, grabbed and Vanguard powerslid it back for an instant score

E92 M3

Overcharge is so fun

The enemy stole the battery with 1 second left on the 100% countdown, stopped them, grabbed and Vanguard powerslid it back for an instant score

I like Uplink a little more, but yeah Overcharge is up there. Turf war is my least favorite mode because randoms don't play it well.

Overcharge is so fun

Turf War is my fave. Really like all game modes here :D some just could be a little shorter, seems like Blitzball takes forever and my team always quits halfway. Maybe 3 goals would be enough insted of 8 or something it is now.

r8er34

They did the same with Battleborn, it had the same issues as LB where it was a fantastic game that people were already unwilling to give a chance and Blizzard pulling these kinds of moves does nothing to benefit themselves, just hurt the games they're trying to hurt.

No he didn't, they decided to move it back a week for this exact reason

I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to spend years making an awesome game, doing everything right and actually pulling it off only for people to go out of their way to spread hatred and vitriol against it.

I'm sure it's heart breaking enough to to work on a poorly received title when it deserves that reception due to factors out of the Dev's hands but to actually accomplish making a great game and then people hate it just because it's not Overwatch is bullshit.

I'm sorry the general reception around the game is negative (which has nothing to do with the merit of the game, the majority of the negativity is from Overwatch fans that are upset that their game may have some competition) but just know that you guys did an amazing job and the game is insanely good and that people like myself who were willing to give the game a shot have all fallen in love with it and will stick with it as long as you guys can afford to support it.

From what I have read, other than the hitching with the ps4, the reception has been positive?

When the first betas started I hated Overcharge but now I really like it. It took me a while to get what they were going for and now I see what makes it a good mode. Firstly the fact that the battery can be stolen at any level of charge and the enemy can capitalize on your charging makes it so you always have to be on edge for a grab and you can't just sit there and be comfortable.

The second part which I really like as a flag grabber is the shield mechanic (I know other modes use this too) where you can grab the battery and move it a bit and the enemy can't instantly return it when they kill you and have to wear down the shield. This makes it so if you are the sole dude getting grabs for your team it doesn't feel like you are just useless grabbing then dying and having them instantly return it. Even moving it just a little out of base before dropping it means you moved the fight there as your team can now get there after you die and maybe grab it.

It's things like that which make me think the team behind the game really actually played a lot of team based shooters and CTF modes in the past. Because that was a huge problem when playing pub CTFs in a game like Q3/QL or Tribes. The shield mechanic is a good way to solve it and add some kind of 'balance' to a team by making it a game of yards instead of all or nothing.

Turf War is probably my least favorite mode, can't say I've ever really had a great game of it yet

I think Blitzball is awesome, and I get the high score limit to allow for comebacks.....but yea I think most matches end up feeling overlong

Will have to play it on more maps but Occupy on Station is fantastic

EL CUCO

Enjoying this way more than the beta. Not sure what changed.
Learning where the health stations are, getting used to mobility and ttk, understanding game modes and roles better. There's definitely a satisfaction in mastering this game unlike anything I've played recently.

From what I have read, other than the hitching with the ps4, the reception has been positive?

I think Katamari is probably referring to the people that seem to be celebrating the fact that the number of concurrent players on steam have been pretty low and calling it dead on arrival. The quality of the game doesn't seem to factor in for those people, I think they just want to see the world burn. Personally, I find the game pretty fun and hope it finds a dedicated audience.

AaronMT86

Trying to enjoy the enforcer (soldier) class but am constantly out of fuel. Need to figure out a cadence of movement momentum *shrug*

Learning where the health stations are, getting used to mobility and ttk, understanding game modes and roles better. There's definitely a satisfaction in mastering this game unlike anything I've played recently.

yeah. it's probably because i put in a several hours during the limited open beta, but when i hopped in yesterday it felt so satisfying. especially as gunslinger and medic.

how does one make a demo of a MP only game. other than trying to get into the alpha/beta.

It's an online only game

UT2004 had a demo with one just Onslaught map included in it. Players who were trying out the demo could play on that map on the same servers with people who had bought the full game. That demo was not time limited. It stayed alive throughout the lifespan of the game and at the end those servers were the most populated of them all. I'm sure that demo also sold the game to many, many people. The full version shipped with 100+ maps if I remember correctly. That was 100 times more content than the free demo.

The reason I bring this up is because CliffyB was involved with this. It is absolutely possible to have a multiplayer demo for a game. It's a shame how many people have completely forgotten about this and how you folks react with incredulity at the idea of a multiplayer demo.

Ignore him. The dude has spent the last year blaming Overwatch players for the failure of Battleborn instead of realizing that Battleborn was simply a game that no one wanted to play. Now he has started pre-emptively blaming Overwatch players in case Lawbreakers does not do well.

The truth is, people play what they want to play. Overwatch players will continue to play Overwatch. The Overwatch community is not a cabal that can decide which game lives or dies. The fate of this game will be decided by the developers and it's community, not by some other unrelated community.

gossi

The game has 245 likes on PlayStation 4. That's the lowest amount of likes for a game at launch I've seen.

I own it and love it by the way. Hopefully word of mouth takes off.

Budi

My favorites currently Enforcer, Vanguard and Titan. I tried Medic for multiple rounds but I couldn't do anything with her (well heal I guess) =D Also gave up very fast on Wraith.
PS4 stuttering ruins an otherwise somewhat good clone.
FOwZ77O.gif

The negative reception has only been from people who have no interest in the game, anyone that's actually given it a try has loved it :D

I think Katamari is probably referring to the people that seem to be celebrating the fact that the number of concurrent players on steam have been pretty low and calling it dead on arrival. The quality of the game doesn't seem to factor in for those people, I think they just want to see the world burn. Personally, I find the game pretty fun and hope it finds a dedicated audience.

Yep, exactly what I was talking about, same thing most people did with Battleborn, they didn't just want to watch it burn they did everything they could to make it happen.

Ignore him. The dude has spent the last year blaming Overwatch players for the failure of Battleborn instead of realizing that Battleborn was simply a game that no one wanted to play. Now he has started pre-emptively blaming Overwatch players in case Lawbreakers does not do well.

The truth is, people play what they want to play. Overwatch players will continue to play Overwatch. The Overwatch community is not a cabal that can decide which game lives or dies. The fate of this game will be decided by the developers and it's community, not by some other unrelated community.

So I'm sure you think Lawbreakers is another terrible game that nobody wants to play too then huh?

You've wasted the last year arguing with me about this while being wrong every single time. It's literally happening again right now with Lawbreakers and you're seriously going to try and STILL ignore whats happening right before your eyes.

Battleborn was a fantastic game that people wanted to fail just like Lawbreakers and you can live in your own world where everything is a meritocracy but here in the real worlds it's very common for great products to get the short end of the stick when merit has nothing to do with it.

You've personally shit all over Battleborn in the past so it's not surprising that you're super defensive about being called out for being an Overwatch fanboy.

Overwatch comparisons are annoying, as is anyone dismissing the game for similarities or wanting it to fail

That said....

Please calm down. Lol.

Battleborn had a lot more going against it besides Overwatch and Randy Pitchford. People didn't like the artstyle or the sense of humor. People were turned off by "MOBA"

Similarly, some people don't like the Lawbreakers art style and think the game is too edgy. It's whatever

Enjoy the game that just came out and use your energy on that instead of panicking that Overwatch and its fans have killed another one of your babies

JuxJuxJux

Similarly, some people don't like the Lawbreakers art style and think the game is too edgy. It's whatever

It makes the boring gameplay and characters more insufferable depending on how much you dislike the style or edge. I was in on a few of the betas, and meh. The game is def whatever, hard pass.

EL CUCO

Apparently the ps4 version of the open beta had 3x more players than on PC (confirmed by dev on Discord). Thats good news for console folk. Hope they can fix the stuttering soon.

The negative reception has only been from people who have no interest in the game, anyone that's actually given it a try has loved it :D

This is not true.

I gave the beta for Lawbreakers a good go and wanted to love it. But I didn't think it was very good, certainly not worth my money.
I think Overwatch is/was a much more solid product at launch, and I don't even like Overwatch much (stopped playing a couple of months in).

Similarly, I tried Battleborn on multiple occasions and it was in no way a great game. It had some cool stuff going for it, and some of the characters were interesting. But things like graphics, enemy design, abilities, hit feedback and audio design were just not good enough at the time - regardless of Overwatch.

Drewfonse

Yeah, the stuttering is bad, but it's as fun as I remember from a week ago. Harrier is fantastic. I'm routinely getting top 2 on my team. Haven't even tried anyone else yet. And the Occupy game mode is fun. Very entertaining game.

gossi

By the way, earlier in this thread somebody said there was a tutorial and bots in the PS4 version. This is wrong, I checked. It's purely online matches at present.

Top Bottom