• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers |OT| Zero G, With Cliffy B

Drewfonse

If this patch comes out as planned in an hour, kudos for a super fast fix.

I love Harrier, but I just realized that I haven't even used the Slow ability. On PS4, how do I do that? L2?

dugdug

Banned
Only got a measly two matches in last night before having to run, but, goddamn, this game rules. Reminds me of how I felt playing Titanfall 1 (but, sadly, not Titanfall 2), in that I was experiencing something new. The speed is intense.

i tried harrier last night. i did terrible. just need a few games to understand. also i need to rebind the melee to the side mouse button. once that gets done i think it'll be easier for me to play lol

Gold_Loot

Excellent. How does the game look on the Pro? My PC is to old to probably play this.
Looks great to me. Frame rate is fairly solid with a few dips in the 50s when things get frantic.

It's taken me a bit to get some control settings as the default can feel a little floaty.

Great game.

arimanius

Looks great to me. Frame rate is fairly solid with a few dips in the 50s when things get frantic.

It's taken me a bit to get some control settings as the default can feel a little floaty.

Great game.

Awesome I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Swarna

Why do you think those games will have more mechanical skill? Movement here is faster than quake, if movement makes accuracy more difficult (logically it does) then there's more room for mechanical skill to influence the level of play in this game. In the end I think it's a silly argument, there's endless room for mechanical skill to influence the level of play in all 3 of those games, all of them reward fine accuracy.

Also, quake champions and cs:go aren't on console.

The point of this was to respond to someone highlighting that the learning curve is not a good reason for the game's lukewarm launch numbers on Steam, even if you disagree on the specifics of the mechanical difficulty level.

Also I'm going to disagree about movement being faster than in Quake on average across all classes and situations (pretty obvious because it's a game with specializations and slow zero-G). That's not really why I said it doesn't stress mechanical skill as much, though. I only specified Quake because it was more directly comparable as an arena shooter. There's a lot more personal agency and responsibility for your performance in Quake with regards to being able to move elegantly and aiming. Lawbreakers classes are about as mechanically stressing as non-trivial Overwatch DPS heroes. Wraith and Assassin are no more mechanically difficult than Genji. Gunslinger is the hardest (and most fun) overall but it's pretty much the exception, plus a lot of targets are easier in this game because of zero-G situations. Mostly these classes are based around their abilities and your decision-making and strategy takes precedence since the mechanics are easy to get down with less room for mastery.

r8er34

Holy shit - so glad I purchased. Played two matches until my kids made me log off. I no idea wtf was going on but it was fun! Racked up 36 kills with gunslinger though out of nowhere. Headshots galore. Feels good man. I am a travesty with Mcree too so nice to know that didn't carry over for me. Let me know if anyone wants to play. Game would be magical with friends but no one I know is playing. Will be on this afternoon and this evening.

Meccs

Why do you care so much how many hundreds of people are playing at the same time? You only need 9 others to play. In all my time with the beta and the full game matchmaking has been breezy, the games mostly balanced and connection (hitching aside) excellent (PS4).
Well I would buy it on PC and it's probably way lower there. The problem is if a game has already so few players the only ones remaining in a few month are hardcore players. I am just saying... it's not even on the Steam stats list currently.

Weston

Glad to hear they fixed the hitching on PS4.

Been spending all my free time playing this the last couple days. It sucks waiting on stash drops now. I can only imagine how slow it's going to get once you play for a month.

Think Occupy might be my favorite mode now, but I don't mind playing any of them really. I like that it's all one playlist and it cycles through them.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Does this game seem like it has legs?...not so much in the size of the community, but the game itself, like is there enough variety here to feel like you'll want to keep coming back to it? I kind of got sick of Titanfall 2 after a short while, even though that was initially a lot of fun. Destiny and Overwatch, on the other hand, I played plenty of.

Also, are there any plans to add a sandbox or bot mode to the PS4 like the PC has? It's a real bummer that the only way to try a new class is in a match. I'm not exactly the sharpest FPS player, so a place to try things out would be really nice.

Drewfonse

Does this game seem like it has legs?...not so much in the size of the community, but the game itself, like is there enough variety here to feel like you'll want to keep coming back to it? I kind of got sick of Titanfall 2 after a short while, even though that was initially a lot of fun. Destiny and Overwatch, on the other hand, I played plenty of.

Also, are there any plans to add a sandbox or bot mode to the PS4 like the PC has? It's a real bummer that the only way to try a new class is in a match. I'm not exactly the sharpest FPS player, so a place to try things out would be really nice.

Create a custom match, start the game, run around an empty map of your choosing, Jump into the abyss to change classes. No bots, but you get try to all of the characters' powers, including Ults.

You know, I think this game will have legs. A smaller player base, sure, but given how quickly they patched the PS4, it bodes well for future support.

And the game is fun as shit. The fact that it lumps in all of the modes into a rotating game mode is great. None of the "I want to play Bounty Hunt in TF2, but everyone plays Attrition 24/7" bullshit.

AaronMT86

There's a bare bones Training Sandbox to play around with classes

r8er34

It will have legs for me if I have some people to play with lol

For me personally, I think this game has legs. We have five different modes, 9 different classes all of whom have vastly different playstyles, and a good selection of maps.

We'll be getting future content for free--that includes new maps and new classes. The raw gameplay of LawBreakers makes me want to come back and play, even if it's not for extended sessions. The game just *feels* good to play.

Bought but didn't play last night because of the hitching issues, looking forward to jumping in tonight. Loved the beta. I'm SiKotikJ30 on PS4 if anyone wants to play.

Also, I remember looking up bot support during the beta, from what I found on the Steam forums, it's not something they have plans for. Makes sense I think, given how the game works it would probably be difficult to implement adequate bots.

Either my teammates need to step their game up and learn to diversify their class selection or BossKey is going to need to buff Assassin because I can't keep carrying every Blitzball match when I use a light movement based class that does garbage damage and my teammates all pick Wraith.

-MD-

I would've picked this up but I just bought Splatoon 2 the other day, I'll probably jump in a couple weeks from now.

Still trying to convince my buddy to buy/play it with me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does the PS4 version allow customization of HUD, FOV, etc?

Fuck it, i caved and bought it. No xbox version fucking sucks and i aint waiting for one.

This is my situation, to play I need to renew my PSN and settle on no achievements, friends, Xbox controller fml - is it that good??? I'm trying not to cave but Gears is my daily game so I'm a huge cliffy fan!

Either my teammates need to step their game up and learn to diversify their class selection or BossKey is going to need to buff Assassin because I can't keep carrying every Blitzball match when I use a light movement based class that does garbage damage and my teammates all pick Wraith.
When the spectator cam shows teammates off on the other side of the map playing TDM I die a little inside

I don't think people realize how easy it is to quickly dunk on the enemy team, you just have to like.....you know, actually play it

This is my situation, to play I need to renew my PSN and settle on no achievements, friends, Xbox controller fml - is it that good??? I'm trying not to cave but Gears is my daily game so I'm a huge cliffy fan!

Well i already have PSN so for me its not a big difference. But now, i buy all my games xbox cause of the Xbox one X. I would have waited but they havent even announced it for xbox so... Ill try it out tonight.

Hupsel

I get usually destroyed by Wraiths and Harriers seem too good too hmmm... having fun with the Vanguard and enforcer!

The point of this was to respond to someone highlighting that the learning curve is not a good reason for the game's lukewarm launch numbers on Steam, even if you disagree on the specifics of the mechanical difficulty level.

Also I'm going to disagree about movement being faster than in Quake on average across all classes and situations (pretty obvious because it's a game with specializations and slow zero-G). That's not really why I said it doesn't stress mechanical skill as much, though. I only specified Quake because it was more directly comparable as an arena shooter. There's a lot more personal agency and responsibility for your performance in Quake with regards to being able to move elegantly and aiming. Lawbreakers classes are about as mechanically stressing as non-trivial Overwatch DPS heroes. Wraith and Assassin are no more mechanically difficult than Genji. Gunslinger is the hardest (and most fun) overall but it's pretty much the exception, plus a lot of targets are easier in this game because of zero-G situations. Mostly these classes are based around their abilities and your decision-making and strategy takes precedence since the mechanics are easy to get down with less room for mastery.

I think the learning curve is definitely a component of why it won't be as popular as some other games. It's far less accessible than games like Overwatch, but I wouldn't say that's a problem, it's part of the fun.

I disagree with strategy taking precedence leaving less room for mastery however. Many of the abilities in lawbreakers, even though requiring strategic placement, require a sizable proportion of skill to utilise effectively, and there's definitely a learning curve to most of these. Plus you could argue that there's just a lot more to master regarding movement here, with a unique movement system for each character, rather than one for the entire game.

I also think, Assassin are much more mechanically difficult than Genji. They travel at considerably higher speeds, forcing the player to make decisions, and test their dexterity at a faster rate. Additionally, her grappling hook is physics based and required articulate control to really land getting exactly where you want to be - not the case with Genji as all of his movement systems are straight forward. Not to mention high risk high reward from landing the hook on players.

I also think you prioritise accuracy too much in your assessment of mechanical skill. Gunslinger has a high skill ceiling but moment to moment the character is quite straight forward. Characters like Wraith have similar demands on accuracy, while requiring players make more rapid decisions. Landing your explosive tag and then detonating it on a player is a more demanding feat than anything in the Gunslingers arsenal.

For me personally, I think this game has legs. We have five different modes, 9 different classes all of whom have vastly different playstyles, and a good selection of maps.

Yeah just the class diversity alone would have be playing for quite a while. If there are any kind of regular content updates, then it will have crazy legs.

Top Bottom