• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laytons Mystery Journey |OT| iOS/Android now, 3DS JP only until Fall

Man, I had no idea that they were making new Layton games!

Well, I guess I knew they were, but I thought they had suddenly committed to only making weird spin-off titles. This looks like actually Layton! Will buy when it hits 3ds. I love me some Layton.

My prediction for the crazy final twist: Layton is missing because he was turned into her dog.

duckroll

Heads up, the item transfer between Layton World and Layton's Mystery Journey is up. All you have to do is get a link code from your Mystery Journey save in the Bonus section from the Title Screen, and put it into Layton World, and then in Mystery Journey you just tap "Receive Items" and they're all transferred. Very neat.

Played over an hour so far. Barely scratched the surface but here are some impressions:

It's definitely Layton. Great production values. Long animated movies. Quirky characters, good dub, smooth but familiar interface. All the stuff you expect from Layton is there: hint coins hidden in the backgrounds, optional puzzles, troll solutions that make you waste hints, get answers wrong, and then go WHAT?! lol. The touch controls are as elegant and possibly more responsive than on the DS and 3DS. The interface is well thought out for mobile too - for adventure and puzzle parts it uses portrait so it can emulate the dual screen layout, but for the movies it switches by default to landscape for full widescreen. You can toggle the display settings for the movies too if you prefer. After progressing far enough in the game, you start to unlock parts of the sub-menu like any Layton game - collectibles, puzzle index, etc. On the Title Screen you can load your save for Bonus features including Daily Puzzles (starts with 18 pre-installed, you download new ones every day) and a Top Secret section that unlocks features with your Picarats score towards endgame.

Caleranatior

Neo Member
As much as I'd like to play this now, that UK pricing as well as the microtransaction prices are putting me off. Guess I'll wait for the 3DS version and hope it's not too expensive.

duckroll

Oh and for those wondering, the opening credits clearly list Richard Honeywood as the Localization Director, so yeah this isn't a Nintendo joint anymore. It's totally in-house Level5. Considering how they managed to get it out day and date with Japan in 8 other languages, I'll say job well done!

Not sure how I have never heard of Layton World, I'll have a look right now. And your impressions are exactly what I was hoping to hear :D

Everyone hears about this from a friend who heard it from a friend, etc. There's zero marketing for it whatsoever, and I don't think the gaming press are covering it at all. I would never have heard of it if stump didn't tell me about it lol.

Lusankya

Already stuck on the first puzzle, I feel so stupid.

I thought building an
inverted K would do the trick and my solution definitely looks like a "K", but it's not accepting it.

Wait, it is the right solution, but you need to be in a certain place for it to recognize it. ;_;

jonno394

Heads up, the item transfer between Layton World and Layton's Mystery Journey is up. All you have to do is get a link code from your Mystery Journey save in the Bonus section from the Title Screen, and put it into Layton World, and then in Mystery Journey you just tap "Receive Items" and they're all transferred. Very neat.

Played over an hour so far. Barely scratched the surface but here are some impressions:

It's definitely Layton. Great production values. Long animated movies. Quirky characters, good dub, smooth but familiar interface. All the stuff you expect from Layton is there: hint coins hidden in the backgrounds, optional puzzles, troll solutions that make you waste hints, get answers wrong, and then go WHAT?! lol. The touch controls are as elegant and possibly more responsive than on the DS and 3DS. The interface is well thought out for mobile too - for adventure and puzzle parts it uses portrait so it can emulate the dual screen layout, but for the movies it switches by default to landscape for full widescreen. You can toggle the display settings for the movies too if you prefer. After progressing far enough in the game, you start to unlock parts of the sub-menu like any Layton game - collectibles, puzzle index, etc. On the Title Screen you can load your save for Bonus features including Daily Puzzles (starts with 18 pre-installed, you download new ones every day) and a Top Secret section that unlocks features with your Picarats score towards endgame.

Cheers for the thoughts, sounds exactly what I want from a new Layton! Regarding Layton world I think I've done around 10 puzzles, need to get back on that, what are the transferred items used for, decorating a room in a mini game?

munroe

What's with that pricing?? £17.99 for UK and only $15.99 for US, think they've got those the wrong way round, the dollar price is generally higher....

Velcro Fly

Glad to hear it is a Layton game at it's core.

I hope that charm is still there though. I'm still working on Miracle Mask right now but I've grown quite attached to Luke and Layton. Hope the new characters are as fun and charming as they were. Something about these games just makes me appreciate the simple gameplay and story and settings that I don't think many other games can match for me.

duckroll

Cheers for the thoughts, sounds exactly what I want from a new Layton! Regarding Layton world I think I've done around 10 puzzles, need to get back on that, what are the transferred items used for, decorating a room in a mini game?

I think it was like, one costume piece (her pajamas? lol) and the rest are parts for decorating the room. Nothing important. Layton World is kinda fun though. It just rolls out puzzles too slowly.

jonno394

I think it was like, one costume piece (her pajamas? lol) and the rest are parts for decorating the room. Nothing important. Layton World is kinda fun though. It just rolls out puzzles too slowly.

Yeah I think it's a nice way for the community to get together, I like how people are sharing pictures, translating stuff etc.

I got her pyjamas yesterday!

sangreal

Would like impressions how this is on iPad vs iPhone. So the graphics look great on an iPad or will the mobility of phone win out? Although I don't play much out of the house..

the ipad version is just a blown up version of the iphone version which in turn feels like a blown up 3ds emulator. Doesn't even support landscape outside of cutscenes. I quickly switched to the iPhone which I feel looks better and plays just as well. Fortunately you can transfer saves (even to android -- dlc aside) although that is a cumbersome, manual process

rockxas

Neo Member
Anyone from europe know if you can choose your language in-app? I'd rather not be stuck with the dutch version, like with the old DS laytons.

Just downloaded and played a few minutes. Everything looks pretty nice and interesting. The 3d models are sharp on my iPhone. It is money well spent!

Well, there goes any interest I had in the 3DS version...

Wow, me too. I was actually holding off on the other versions of the game because the 3D effect in Layton 5 and 6 was superb, and I'd value that more than extra resolution on mobile.

Is the game at least 60fps across all platforms? I know it doesn't seem important for a slow game like Layton but the fluidity of the controls and note-taking has always depended on it in previous games.

Everyone hears about this from a friend who heard it from a friend, etc. There's zero marketing for it whatsoever, and I don't think the gaming press are covering it at all. I would never have heard of it if stump didn't tell me about it lol.
Maybe we could use this thread for Layton.world too? Since they're connected, and I'd imagine this thread will be (a bit at least) livelier than the other one.

Either way, I have just finished the 18th puzzle on the website, so I guess I'll be waiting for the next one in a couple of days. I'll have to grab a Google Play Gift Card and get the game as soon as possible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing Layton/Ace Attorney now, but I'll play this soon. I'll be glad to be playing it on a device I carry around with me all the time. :)

duckroll

It's the whole game. The 1 on the store presumably suggests that they are optimistic about Mystery Journey being the new series, and plan on releasing annual entries like the previous Professor Layton games.

aravuus

With me it says something like "This game cannot be played on this device because it has been rooted or altered". Guess I should figure out how to hide a root.

Huh. Sorry for the bad info in that case. I have no idea why it works for me - I guess the rom I'm using hides the fact that the device is rooted by default. For some reason I never even thought they'd do something like this lol.

FWIW, it looks like hiding your root access is super easy: https://drfone.wondershare.com/root/hide-my-root.html

e: (also fuck devs who restrict apps/games on rooted devices)

Zafir

$15.99
€17.99

£17.99

Get to fuck.

EDIT: If I convert, $16 is less than £12.50. I'm not willing to spend 50% more just because publishers can't convert currency correctly.
What's with that pricing?? £17.99 for UK and only $15.99 for US, think they've got those the wrong way round, the dollar price is generally higher....

It should be £15.99, at least that's what it costs on iOS.

For some reason it costs more on google play.

Put me off buying it. Don't want to pay £2 extra because 'reasons'. If it is a mistake, I doubt anyone would get the difference back either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, this is the first iOS game I have bought / spent money on in many years. I love Layton, but can't stand low res 3DS, plus it seems like a perfect fit for iPad

maxcriden

It's the whole game. The 1 on the store presumably suggests that they are optimistic about Mystery Journey being the new series, and plan on releasing annual entries like the previous Professor Layton games.

Thanks for posting your impressions. Are you finding the puzzles easier than in past games or about the same difficulty? I ask because a poster on the last page indicated that.

Also, regarding the plan for new entries, as an additional note I believe L5 mentioned that Katrielle may or may not star on subsequent installments (hence the new series title change from Lady Layton), it seems like it will depend in part on how she's she's received by fans.

Kouriozan

Wow, this is the first iOS game I have bought / spent money on in many years. I love Layton, but can't stand low res 3DS, plus it seems like a perfect fit for iPad

That's what I thought but ->
the ipad version is just a blown up version of the iphone version which in turn feels like a blown up 3ds emulator. Doesn't even support landscape outside of cutscenes. I quickly switched to the iPhone which I feel looks better and plays just as well. Fortunately you can transfer saves (even to android -- dlc aside) although that is a cumbersome, manual process

And I don't own a phone, just my iPad for gaming needs.

I would also like to know about the puzzles. I thought the puzzles in Layton 5 were a step down from the DS entries, mainly because they saw a shift towards more interactivity, more often than not at the cost of logic-solving.

I suspect that might be the issue with this new game, moreso considering users aren't going to be able to easily scribble down hints.

FDC1

Oh, cool, I didn't know it was released in Europe. Great timing, I have almost finished the last Ace Attorney, I'll buy this game next.

Dantero

Is there anything known about the amount of content in this compared to the other games in the series? I always want to play the newer games but they still cost like 45€ in the e shop and I refuse to pay that much for a handheld puzzle game...

zeromcd73

Dammit :(

Decisions, decisions....

aravuus

Is there anything known about the amount of content in this compared to the other games in the series? I always want to play the newer games but they still cost like 45€ in the e shop and I refuse to pay that much for a handheld puzzle game...

I think someone mentioned it has the biggest number of puzzles in a single game so far. So less than 20 euros seems like a good price to me. Fantastic, even.

Pachimari

So does this game just double up the pixels, where it will let you choose to blow it up with the "x2" button in the bottom right corner? Or will it show as native but still just be blown up?

Top Bottom