• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laytons Mystery Journey |OT| iOS/Android now, 3DS JP only until Fall

takoyaki

[Update]

81dq7zmqbdl._ac_sl1503crj6.jpg

• LMJ is out this week on 3DS, releases October 6th (US/EU)
  • Despite the big difference in price, LMJ is the same core game on iOS/Android/3DS (full story & puzzles included in initial purchase)
  • Only real difference: cosmetic DLC that's unlocked through progression on 3DS while the same outfits are sold as IAP on mobile. Each of those outfits also comes with one puzzle.
  • Higher screen resolution on iOS/Android
  • No 3D support on 3DS
  • Good entry point for players new to the Layton series, largely self-contained story and no big spoilers for previous games

[Original Thread]
headerminesmallc1rp1.png
  • Series: Professor Layton
  • Developer: Level-5
  • Publishers: Nintendo, Level-5
  • Platforms: Nintendo 3DS, Android, iOS
  • Genres: Puzzle video game, Adventure
  • Producer: Akihiro Hino
  • Designer (New Puzzle Master): Kuniaki Iwanami
  • Artist: Takuzo Nagano
  • Animated Cutscenes: A-1 Pictures
  • Official Website: link
  • Layton Wiki: link
  • Price:
    • $15.99 (iOS/Android)
    • £15.99 (iOS), £17.99 (Android)
    • €17,99 (iOS/Android)
    • ¥1,900 (iOS/Android), ¥4800 (3DS)
    • CAD 21.99 (iOS)
    • AUD 24.99 (iOS/Android)
  • Release:
    • July 20th (iOS worldwide, Android worldwide, 3DS in Japan)
    • October 6th (3DS outside Japan)

trailers7no2v.png

reviewsouohz.png

storycuq1c.png

• The Layton Series continues with a brand new mysterious adventure

Layton's Mystery Journey follows Professor Hershel Layton's daughter, Katrielle "Kat" Layton, who solves puzzles in her father's place alongside her talking dog Sherl and her friends Emiliana Perfetti and Ernest Greeves. When her father vanishes, Katrielle goes off in search of him, coming across various puzzles and mysteries along the way.

LMJ has a new game structure with shorter episodes, each revolving around a different case. Kat gets involved with those mysterious cases and solves puzzles along the way.

Her base of operations is the ”Layton Detective Agency", a stylish and tidy room on one of London's largest streets.

Kat is described as a Puzzle Detective who's a Jack Of All Trades. She has inherited her puzzle solving smarts from her father and they share the same sense of style, but she comes after her mother when it comes to looks and facial features. Her mother's identity is still a secret.

Each episode has a smaller, self-contained case to solve. Seven millionaires are at the center of the main story and another big mystery are the whereabouts of Kat's father, Professor Layton.

• All new cast and some returning characters

gameplaykzoo1.png

• 12 Episodes, 12 Cases

Each of the 12 episode has a smaller, self-contained case to solve. The episodes are given humorous titles, some of them pay homage to famous movies.

screenshot2017-07-23abjkv4.jpg

screenshot2017-07-23aitj9o.jpg

• Exploration & Investigation

Largely unchanged gameplay, menus and game flow.

You travel from place to place via the shoe icon, examine your surroundings and zoom in via the magnifying glass and keep track of puzzles, the story and characters in your briefcase. This is also where you can save and change outfits at any point.

You'll find and collect hint coins that will help if you get stuck during a puzzle, have conversations with people and find out more about a case, collect curious items that are stored in your Collection Box, and move between locations with the help of your trusty bicycle.

giphy.gif

• Puzzles

The puzzles are designed by Kuniaki Iwanami, who replaces previous designer Akira Tago following his death in March 2016.

From math to riddles and crate pushing puzzles, all your favorites are back; Including good ol' Layton trick questions!

Daily Puzzles, a staple of Layton games, are back as well. For the first year after release, you'll receive one free puzzle per day.

• Mini Games
    • One mini-game called "Bumpy Labyrinth" stars Kat's talking dog Sherl. You'll have to avoid all kinds of obstacles and navigate him through mazes within a limited number of moves. Sherl follows arrows on the floor and the game looks a bit like the Toy Robot mini-game from L5 with a focus on different heights and properties of the obstacles.

laytons-mystery-journ17kvj.jpg

• Another mini-game is called "The Perfect Dinner". You'll have to select the ideal full course dinner for people by finding out more about them during the story.

laytons-mystery-journq7kjc.jpg

• The third mini-game is called "Accessory Shop". You're in charge of product placement for a store that sells jewellery and other accessories. You'll have to place a number of items on store shelves according to the preferences of your customers. They have a specific purchase in mind and it's your goal to get them to also buy other items by placing them on the way to their desired goods. Shelf space is limited and it's your goal to sell everything in one go.

laytons-mystery-journp7j7s.jpg

newfeaturesi5r0x.png

• Dress-Up [expanded via DLC]

You acquire many new outfits throughout the game that were designed with the help of real-life designer and stylist KASHIMA SHOHEI. You can pick the outfit, headwear and shoes you want to wear and also change your hairstyle.

At launch, there are:

• 10 Outfits
      giphy.gif

(Paid DLC on iOS/Android, come with one puzzle each, sold separately or in a pack for a reduced price)

• 5 Costumes
      giphy.gif

(Paid DLC on 3DS/iOS/Android, come with one puzzle each, sold separately or in a pack for a reduced price)

• Interior Decoration [expanded via DLC]

Kat can decorate her "Layton Detective Agency" in different styles (think Animal Crossing light). There's 8 possible points that can be changed, mixed and matched: walls, floor, curtain, rug, chair, sofa, table, cushions

giphy.gif

• Keywords & Deduction

Solving each case involves finding certain keywords, so-called ”pieces of insight" by talking to people throughout an episode who might know more. These keywords will help you when it's time to make your deductions about what happened in a case. In episode 1, there are six such keywords to find and you'll assemble them as a puzzle that's shaped like a clock hand.
    giphy.gif

nowavailabletbr0q.png

giphy.gif

moreinfo96put.png

• Three Versions, One Game
    All three versions are supposed to be the same game. The 3DS version has been described as a ”full package" that contains certain cosmetic content which is sold as DLC in the iOS/Android versions.

Whether you play it on Android, iOS or 3DS, it doesn't matter, you're going to have the same experience," she explains. ”What we've done is that we've made sure there's absolutely no disparity between the players, so everyone is getting the same content and the same story. Even with pricing and everything else, we're very confident about how the fans will perceive it.
    Source: MCVUK (thanks maxcriden!)

• Lady Layton? Layton's Mystery Journey?
    rehp6dweirox.png

The game was announced in July 2016 under the name "Lady Layton" with a planned release date of spring 2017. Level-5 went radio silent and didn't share any new information on the game until they re-announced it with the new name ”Layton's Mystery Journey" during a Nintendo Direct in April 2017

While we don't know exactly what lead to the decision, this answer from Akihiro Hino during an E3 interview might shed some light on the reasons why Level-5 decided to rebranded the game at such a late stage of development:

Q: Do you have any plans in mind, then, for more games starring Kat? Another trilogy, perhaps?

Hino-san: We are trying to do this series with the Mystery Journey tag again, but we're not really sure if Kat's going to be the main protagonist on the next one. It might be someone new again. But this Mystery Journey series will definitely continue from here. We haven't decided exactly where, though, so we can't say too much on that front.
    Source: Nintendo Life

• Real World Puzzle Solving

latestidr4h.png

An unprecedented promotion in 10 countries around the world. 50 Puzzles around the world will suddenly appear! Work with Layton fans around the world to solve these puzzles!

Started June 20th, still going on right now!

https://layton.world/opening.html

GAF Thread

• Theme Song

screenshot2017-07-20agvqnt.png

”Girls" by Nishino Kana (西野 カナ)
    Full Song
    Making-Of Featurette

Additional sources used in OT: The Layton Wiki, Wikipedia, Famitsu Online, JP Layton Website, YT Channel justonegamr, Previous GAF Thread

takoyaki

The game is already out on the Japanese e-shop and I thought some of you might be interested in more details about the initial DLC:

The game has a DLC shop where you can purchase outfits. Each outfit comes with a unique puzzle.

Right now, 5 outfits are for sale. They cost 240Yen each or you can get a bundle that contains all 5 outfits and puzzles for 960Yen.

So we should probably expect outfits to cost $2-3.

img_03028qogh.jpg
img_0303i5prg.jpg

img_0304qbqy9.jpg
img_0305yno5v.jpg

img_03065irnw.jpg

img_0307zwpaa.jpg

edit: couldn't resist the call of the top hat, this is what costumes look like in-game

takoyaki

Is this supposed to be the OT for the game?

Just a heads-up with store links since the game has a weird release between different regions/platforms and some might have forgotten that it's coming out today.

No one is making an OT so far according to the GAF OT thread.

North American users may need this link (which is on the official website and doesn't work for me):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Level5.LaytonMJNA

thanks, didn't work for me either but I'll add it to the OP.

killroy87

Cautiously excited for this. I've always thought the Layton series would be a good fit on mobile, I just want to make sure that nothing is lost in translation, and the quality of puzzles is still up to par.

takoyaki

Oh, and the production values are just as high as in previous Layton games (edit: except for the lack of 3D support)

The game opens with a gorgeous animated cutscene by A-1 pictures. Kat dreams about her missing father before she wakes up and starts her first day of running the Layton Detective Agency. A prologue then tells us how she meets Sherl, her talking dog companion.

screenshot2017-07-19abrrdx.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19a9fpme.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19awaoiz.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19a3vp8x.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19a0bqj4.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19aybp0o.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19aecqio.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19aaeq0m.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19ay4o13.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19ajppkg.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19ab3q8w.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19a8mrku.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19awapu1.jpg

screenshot2017-07-19asarnq.jpg

This is a real Layton game, get excited Layton fans!

Seeing the DLC come with a puzzle is nice.

Though my preorder bonus from the 3DS eShop didn't come with one, it was just a costume.

For now only just saw the intro and saved when prompted after the first puzzle.

maxcriden

Thanks so much for the thread, tako! Maybe this can be the OT?

Edit: do we know yet if the game spoils events of L4-6 at all?

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. The fact that my phone has a 1080p display and that the game is available earlier on mobile is leaning me in that direction. I like the 3DS but those two factors are substantial.

Maybe the Citra version will be stable enough that I can happily buy the cartridge version.

takoyaki

Thanks so much for the thread, tako! Maybe this can be the OT?

Sure thing, you know I'm excited for this game ;)

I don't want to step on anyone's toes if someone is already working on an OT. Let's wait until the game is out in all regions over the next 12-24h, if no one makes an OT then I can turn this thread into one and ask a Mod for a title change.

Edit: do we know yet if the game spoils events of L4-6 at all?

I only played the prologue and some of ep1, at least in the beginning there's no connections to previous games except for Kat being Professor Layton's daughter. I believe one of the central mysteries of the game is figuring out what happened to Professor Layton, so there might be spoilers once the game gets closer to the final episodes. But I think you should be fine since L4-6 were prequels, maybe some minor callbacks.

wrowa

The costumes are DLC on 3DS as well? Assumed they'd be included, considering it's double the price and all.

takoyaki

Where does it comes online first? Japan?

Australia or Japan, it should be the same app version with multiple languages in all regions.

The Nintendo Switch Online App showed up 4-5h from now yesterday, around that time today would be my guess for the Australian store.

The costumes are DLC on 3DS as well? Assumed they'd be included, considering it's double the price and all.

All we know so far is that there's content included with the 3DS version that's DLC on iOS/Android.

You can also get one of the outfits for pre-ordering on the eshop and another one for participating in the Translayton Puzzle ARG.

But yeah, it will be interesting to find out how they justify the price difference between the versions.

maxcriden

I only played the prologue and some of ep1, at least in the beginning there’s no connections to previous games except for Kat being Professor Layton's daughter. I believe one of the central mysteries of the game is figuring out what happened to Professor Layton, so there might be spoilers once the game gets closer to the final episodes. But I think you should be fine since L4-6 were prequels, maybe some minor callbacks.

Thanks for the info, tako! I suppose I should really play 4-6 first, since I already have those. But it's good to have a sense of this nonetheless!

takoyaki

now also up on the Japanese iTunes Store

896 MB

comes with all the language options

I suppose I should really play 4-6 first, since I already have those. But it's good to have a sense of this nonetheless!
Some Layton fans don't like the prequel trilogy as much as the first 3 games, but I think the series has been great all the way through. 4 might actually be my favorite game. So definitely give 4-6 a try, really fun games that hold up imo.

dLMN8R

Ugh, I really want to play Azran Legacy before this but it's still so expensive on 3DS! Cheapest I can find it for is $40 new (digital) or $35 used :-(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
waiting for the 3ds version EU release date/price/contents in order to keep the collection intact (even digitally) on Ds/3ds

takoyaki

Ugh, I really want to play Azran Legacy before this but it's still so expensive on 3DS! Cheapest I can find it for is $40 new (digital) or $35 used :-(

There was a 50% off sale on the 3DS Layton games on the Japanese eshop leading up to the release of Layton's Mystery Journey. You also got 10% discount on Layton's Mystery Journey if you purchased L5 and/or 6 during the sale; maybe wait and see if they do the same thing this fall when the 3DS version gets an international release.

[TW]Stone;243942012 said:
Not seeing it on iTunes US store

Timezones. Could still be a couple of hours until it shows up, so far only available in Japan on eshop/playstore/itunes.

dLMN8R

There was a 50% off sale on the 3DS Layton games on the Japanese eshop leading up to the release of Layton’s Mystery Journey. You also got 10% discount on Layton’s Mystery Journey if you purchased L5 and/or 6 during the sale; maybe wait and see if they do the same thing this fall when the 3DS version gets an international release.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Here's hoping they do indeed follow the same model.

hmmm. i'd love to play this, but would iphone 5s or samsung 5 neo run this?

i'll be in japan for a year, and bringing my 3ds - should i wait untill the 3ds version... doh!

i assume the 3ds version will cost 29.99~ roughly double what i could pay for the phone.. :0

takoyaki

hmmm. i'd love to play this, but would iphone 5s or samsung 5 neo run this?

i'll be in japan for a year, and bringing my 3ds - should i wait untill the 3ds version... doh!

i assume the 3ds version will cost 29.99~ roughly double what i could pay for the phone.. :0

Good news, all iPhones 5s and up are supported. And you need iOS9 or up. I guess $30-40 for the 3DS version.

supported iOS devices said:
iOS 9.0 以降。iPhone 5s、iPhone 6、iPhone 6 Plus、iPhone 6s、iPhone 6s Plus、iPhone SE、iPhone 7、iPhone 7 Plus、iPad Air、iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular、iPad mini 2、iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular、iPad Air 2、iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular、iPad mini 3、iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular、iPad mini 4、iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular、12.9インチiPad Pro、12.9インチiPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular、9.7インチiPad Pro、9.7インチiPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular、iPad (第5世代)、iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (第5世代)、12.9インチiPad Pro (第2世代)、12.9インチiPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (第2世代)、10.5インチiPad Pro、10.5インチiPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular、および iPod touch (第6世代) に対応。

maxcriden

Some Layton fans don't like the prequel trilogy as much as the first 3 games, but I think the series has been great all the way through. 4 might actually be my favorite game. So definitely give 4-6 a try, really fun games that hold up imo.

Ah, that is heartening to hear. Thank you. I guess we had just played the first three a bit close together so when we got to four weeks were kinda hurt out despite loving the game and the initial plot of the first bit of four didn't grab us as much. We'll give it another shot at some point soon enough I'm sure! And LMJ looks particularly great. I also tried mystery room but couldn't really get into it as much.

aravuus

Seems like a perfect fit for mobile, so.. Bought. Downloading.

I've only played the first two games I think, though, so hopefully I won't be too lost with the story.

Kouriozan

Want to buy but hearing about microtransactions scare me for premium games, even if it's just hints.
Will probably wait for the 3DS version.

Wow, so soon? Will buy for my S5 to show support. It's been so long since I've played a Layton game, haha. Could grab it on 3DS, but if I can avoid its low resolution, I gladly will.

BiggNife

Not on the US play store yet, still tells me to pre register.

Hopefully my Pixel can handle it, I've had a bad history with 3D games with my previous phones.

takoyaki

up on the EU/AU iTunes Stores!

1.51GB

€17,99 / £15.99 / AUD 24.99

edit: Korean iTunes Store as well (897 MB like the Japanese version, there might be two versions with the smaller one not containing all the languages or something like that)

takoyaki

Heads-up for the iOS version:

the EU version includes English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch. No Japanese or Korean. The Korean/JP versions probably don't include the EU languages apart from English.

Another small difference I noticed was the lack of vocals during the opening cutscene in the EU iOS version, the 3DS version had the theme song playing in the background.

iCloud saves for playing across iPad/Iphone?
When you start the game on iOS, it asks you to link your device to a Level5 ID for save transfers. No native iCloud support.

edit:

Is there confirmation on the IAP yet?
It's available to purchase in Malaysia now.

15 initial DLC outfits on iOS, €2,29 per outfit. They also come with a puzzle each. There are two packs, one containing outfits 1-10 and the puzzles for €16,99 and another pack containing outfits 11-15 and the puzzles for €8,99.

Looks like all the DLC is just cosmetic even on mobile :)

aravuus

The game looks fantastic on my Oneplus 3 and seems to play very well too. Gonna do a couple of puzzles then go to sleep.

But so far it seems like the perfect game for breaks at work and bus rides and such.

It's good to be home. Loving the throwbacks already, but also has its own vibe and unique charm.

Puzzle 002's wording is confusing. Anyone know exactly what it means by 'places' you'd need to touch?

takoyaki

It's good to be home. Loving the throwbacks already, but also has its own vibe and unique charm.

Puzzle 002's wording is confusing. Anyone know exactly what it means by 'places' you'd need to touch?

Just the number of different spots on the watch / clock hands.

hint:
it's a vintage Layton trick question; really feels great to be home :)

solution:
zero

Just the number of different spots on the watch / clock hands.

hint:
it's a vintage Layton trick question; really feels great to be home :)

Huh. That was my first instinct but the 'places' wording pushed me into thinking otherwise.

Oh Level-5. :')

Top Bottom