• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laytons Mystery Journey |OT| iOS/Android now, 3DS JP only until Fall

Shiggy

Level 5 had already confirmed it, but NoE who supposedly distributes the game in Europe just sent out another confirmation:
screenshot2017-07-21a0isa8.png

sangreal

That's what I thought but ->

And I don't own a phone, just my iPad for gaming needs.

I wasn't saying its bad on iPad, just that it doesn't feel at all made to fit the iPad. It's very much like playing those iPhone only games/apps on the iPad. The controls work better on the iPhone too imo, since there is less distance to drag the magnifying glass around. I also still maintain that it looks better and more crisp on the phone. I certainly wouldn't skip the game just because iPad is your only choice

I am using an iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 7+ FWIW

That's a shame about the iPad version. From what it sounds like, it's just the phone app, but bigger, which is rather disappointing. A 9.7" 4:3 screen can be used in so many cool ways for new interfaces and layouts in puzzle games.

Just did the second puzzle and it's also really dumb. There's two reactions to these puzzles, if you've played a Layton game before you immediately catch the "trick," roll your eyes, and move on. If you haven't you enter a couple wrong guesses before understanding that the question is misleading. They're never fun to me, the only enjoyment I've ever got out of them is complaining about them with other people who have played the games.

Hopefully this turns around real quick but it seems like they front-loaded the game with the first of the standard boilerplate riddles they put in every game.

takoyaki

N-No fanart thread? ;-;

edit: might be a bit too niche to justify its own thread right now, but there's already some great fan art out there.

Feel free to share fan art you like in the OT
(of course no NSFW stuff; probably no problem with this game, but the internet always finds a way ...)

"Lady Layton has developed quite a fan art following already"

from Tumblr: by jejesart

from Tumblr: by n0n01o3

via Pinterest: by Akimiya

duckroll

Almost 5 hours into the game now. Puzzles are definitely a bit on the easy side, but I've still been tricked a couple of times so far. The overarching plot is FINALLY starting to show up. Very. Slowly. This is not a negative critique btw. The flow of the narrative is definitely the most refreshing thing for the game. Instead of one big mystery that starts with a hook and gets more and more complex, each chapter is an episodic story that acts as a stand alone case, but the characters introduced start to build up and snowball into a larger linked mystery as the game progresses.

Arkanius

Very impressed by the positive reviews.
As soon as I finish FFT on Android I'm buying this
I thirst for some Layton for summer.

I was wondering, does the item transfer between the game and Layton.World automatically update? As in, once they're linked, do I have to do anything specific in order to get items I unlock after I have put in the code? Hope that makes some sense.

duckroll

I was wondering, does the item transfer between the game and Layton.World automatically update? As in, once they're linked, do I have to do anything specific in order to get items I unlock after I have put in the code? Hope that makes some sense.

After you put the code in Layton World to link the accounts. You need to go back to Mystery Journey and tap "receive items" in that part of the menu.

takoyaki

Almost 5 hours into the game now. Puzzles are definitely a bit on the easy side, but I've still been tricked a couple of times so far. The overarching plot is FINALLY starting to show up. Very. Slowly. This is not a negative critique btw. The flow of the narrative is definitely the most refreshing thing for the game. Instead of one big mystery that starts with a hook and gets more and more complex, each chapter is an episodic story that acts as a stand alone case, but the characters introduced start to build up and snowball into a larger linked mystery as the game progresses.

I was a bit worried that the new episodic structure might make the overarching mystery less exciting than in previous games. Glad to hear the new structure works. From what I played, the storytelling has been handled very well and a slow build up of the central mystery sounds great to me.

Thanks for your continued impressions, can't wait to finally put more time into the game this weekend :)

GSR

I've played through the first two chapters. I'm having a good time, but I have to admit I prefer the old Layton structure a bit. The two chapters thus far have been such bite-size cases that it's hard to get invested in them, and dividing everything into separate episodes makes London feel like less of an interconnected city than the past games' settings.

Puzzles definitely feel a bit easy, but then again, early days in the game still. I think part of it is that they seem to give way more picarats per puzzle compared to the old games - I'm used to thinking a 50-picarater is gonna be a wild ride.

Glad to hear the overarching plot picks up, though.

I was wary of the game's performance on mobile, but impressions posted here seems nice and looks like OnePlus 3 has no problem with this game. Now I'm very tempted to buy this one....

That pricing though. Being used to Steam regional pricing, non-adjusted price is really high . Like right now, the game price on Android is 20% higher (IDR 239.000/USD 15.99) than PUBG on Steam (IDR 200.000, originally USD 29.99)... It's tough for me to justify :/ Does Google Play have some kind of regional pricing mechanism? Any chance for the game's price to adjust?

Welp, let's see how long I can handle the Layton urge ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

I'm curious, does this game (or the Alfendi one) ever mention who the mother is? It seems weird to leave it hanging like that, but I can't quite recall if there was any female character from the main series that it could be (it's been too long to remember).

No. 48 has got me stumped. I'm certain I know exactly what they want me to mess with, I just can't figure out the right word for it. The game refuses to take anything I've put in, haha. Every other puzzle I've figured out eventually, but I just can't solve this one.

EDIT:
It was air, haha. I feel so silly now. The answer box's size really threw me off-track.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Level 5 had already confirmed it, but NoE who supposedly distributes the game in Europe just sent out another confirmation:

Yes we got the note from Nintendo Italy with localized Italian title and October release
I wonder.if NoE will distribute a retail version

GeoGonzo

Ugh the voices of the game switch to spanish every time I launch the game. At least it can be fixed by switching to some language and then back to english but come on... I’d expect some Q&A from a 18€ game.

takoyaki

In the iOS App Store, LMJ is featured right now with a big banner ad on top of the front store page. It’s been climbing the charts since release in most regions and it seems to be doing particularly well in Japan and Europe, just like the old Layton games on DS/3DS.

Some examples:

Top Paid iPhone Apps (All Categories)
: No.1 in Japan and France, No.3 in Spain, No.4 in South Korea, No.5 in Belgium, No.7 in Italy, No.9 in Germany

Top Paid iPhone Apps (All Games): No.1 in Japan, France, South Korea, No.2 in Spain, No.3 in Belgium, No.4 in Germany, No.5 in Italy, No.6 in the Netherlands, No.8 in the UK

I believe only download numbers are counted here since revenue is counted in a separate chart called "Top Grossing", so it’s pretty impressive how the game is holding up against cheap 99Cent Apps.
Of course it’s still very early, but I think this could be a good early sign that fans are willing to switch platform and pay a premium price on mobile to stick with the series.
It will be interesting to see if this holds up for a while or if the game will quickly vanish again from the charts.

edit: for comparison

No. 34 (All Categories) / No. 21 (All Games) in USA
No. 42 (All Categories) / No. 31 (All Games) in Canada

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone having issues downloading this on two devices? It’s showing up as full price on my iPad Pro (I am running the beta of iOS 11..). I also can’t figure out where to find the list of things purchased on other devices in this new store layout

jonno394

Played for an hour and really happy with it so far. Visuals are nice, animated cutscenes and music are great quality, Katrielle is adorable too!

wrowa

In the iOS App Store, LMJ is featured right now with a big banner ad on top of the front store page. It’s been climbing the charts since release in most regions and it seems to be doing particularly well in Japan and Europe, just like the old Layton games on DS/3DS.

Some examples:

: No.1 in Japan and France, No.3 in Spain, No.4 in South Korea, No.5 in Belgium, No.7 in Italy, No.9 in Germany

Top Paid iPhone Apps (All Games): No.1 in Japan, France, South Korea, No.2 in Spain, No.3 in Belgium, No.4 in Germany, No.5 in Italy, No.6 in the Netherlands, No.8 in the UK

I believe only download numbers are counted here since revenue is counted in a separate chart called "Top Grossing", so it’s pretty impressive how the game is holding up against cheap 99Cent Apps.
Of course it’s still very early, but I think this could be a good early sign that fans are willing to switch platform and pay a premium price on mobile to stick with the series.
It will be interesting to see if this holds up for a while or if the game will quickly vanish again from the charts.

"Top grossing" is really the only important chart to judge a mobile game's performance by as the paid app business model isn't really all that popular these days. I can only check its german Appstore performance right now, but in Germany Layton's currently at 54 top grossing, which I don't think is actually all that promising to be honest. Might be decent if it stays there, but I rather expect it to be gone from the top 100 in a week or so.

But I'm usually terribly pessimistic anyway.

Still, nice to see it's doing relatively well in Europe. That American performance actually looks pretty bad. :/

Could anyone help me find the last hint coin in the first case?
It's in the parliament square (where you start). I got the one in the lamp post and the one in the tree on the left, where's the last one?
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
It was in one of the chimneys, not sure how I managed to miss it though.

WonderzL

Banned
Guys! Let's choose wisely our museum options so we can all choose different things and see different stuff!

BTW I'm loving Layton on my phone. It is a perfect fit.

Some examples:

Haha, nice find. Time to dig out that old line graph:

layton1_global.jpg

Curious to see if LMJ has the same staying power in Europe.

duckroll

This game is selling way better in Asia than in the West, probably a sign of the lack of marketing.

Google Play Store milestones:
US - 1,000 to 5,000
Europe - 1,000 to 5,000
Japan - 5,000 to 10,000
South Korea - 5,000 to 10,000

Haunted

When would you say this starts happening?

I've done 4 cases so far and I'm honestly a bit disappointed by the game's writing and how simple it is so far, both in terms of puzzles and gameplay (super straightforward and hand-holdey, small areas with little to nothing to explore).

mcmmaster

Before I buy has anyone got this on an S7 edge or running it on a phone with a resolution of 1440p, just curious if it takes advantage of screens at that resolution.

What's in that in-app stuff? The game seems cheap (for what it is) but then all of a sudden there's these vague and expensive in-app purchases that could be, well, anything?

Slightly off-putting if half the game is behind them, or something. Anyone able to clear this up?

WonderzL

Banned
What's in that in-app stuff? The game seems cheap (for what it is) but then all of a sudden there's these vague and expensive in-app purchases that could be, well, anything?

Slightly off-putting if half the game is behind them, or something. Anyone able to clear this up?
It's just costumes

This game is selling way better in Asia than in the West, probably a sign of the lack of marketing.

Wasn't the crowdsourced web puzzle game meant to be the marketing?

There's hardcore puzzle communities that jump on every website with free online puzzles, and there's no doubt they know about this game.

I honestly wouldn't have known the game was out if it weren't for the two GAF threads on it over the past weeks.
Yeah, they really need to advertise it a bit. Either on the store, or maybe even some ads on tv. While it might be expensive, I think the series is "famous" enough that it could bring more people to buy it (or at least to consider it).

wrowa

Wasn't the crowdsourced web puzzle game meant to be the marketing?

There's hardcore puzzle communities that jump on every website with free online puzzles, and there's no doubt they know about this game.

I don't think this game is made for hardcore puzzle communities considering this game has (as far as I've played so far) easily the easiest puzzles of the series.

jonno394

Just finished the first case. I like the fact you can revisit old cases and they actually throw in a new puzzle or two as reason to do this. Highlighting areas where you've missed hint coins is also a good thing, I've missed 2 apparently!

dan2026

I never even heard of this game till today.
This really snuck under the radar.

And it's not out on 3DS yet? Just mobile?
How strange.

ToTi

Wow, this game looks really good on smartphones. I've only played it for 30 minutes but I'm impressed, it's nice to have a really polished game on my phone.

dan2026

Wait what the fuck is with this shitty pricing?

$15.99 (iOS/Android)
£15.99 (iOS), £17.99 (Android)

Way more expensive than the US and even more expensive on Android?

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Top Bottom