• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laytons Mystery Journey |OT| iOS/Android now, 3DS JP only until Fall

jonno394

Was that the "how many times do you have to touch the clock" puzzle?
I'm so upset that I got tricked by that one.

I saw through the puzzle straight away but
assumed that touching the key on the back was still touching the clock, so put 1 as the answer, then I tried 0 when that didn't work

-Setsuna-

Started this last night and have to say that I'm not really convinced by Kasumi Arimura's choice and performance so far. Her voice doesn't particularly fit Katrielle, IMO.
On the other hand, Sherlo is pretty much perfect. I sure won't miss boring Luke one bit...

Do we know if Akihiro Hino did the story for this, like he did the others?
Yes:
screenshot2017-07-19ay4o13.jpg
We'll have our dose of silly twists. Yay!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Just basic language info about the Japanese iOS version. Also for Duckroll ;)

It's fully japanese and only in japanese.

The several other languages stated in the App store are actually for all available languages for the game in the world, in other region app stores. A bit confusing on Apple's part, I know. Google Play store got it right.

No other language options in the game, and changing iOS languages and regions affects nothing.

So, if you want japanese with english text, then no luck. And don't buy unless you can manage the whole game in Japanese of course.

I feel like a lot of the puzzles are very convuluted and poorly localized too. The puzzles are simple but the roundabout way they are explained can be weird.

webrunner

SERIOUSLY 035 did I miss something how is this a puzzle it's ruining my life I bought all the hints just to see if there was a trick I was missing but no it's literally just that is it different in the 3ds version IT'S BOTHERING ME SO MUCH

Could someone give me a hand with the minigames? I didn't manage to get any Perfect in the food-related one, and I'm having trouble with the level 10 of the one with Sherl.

Got to say, those last three cases were really good. The last one felt like a proper Layton game from the main series (albeit shorter).

Has anyone found the last item in the collection? I believe I know in which rooms it should be but I can't find it.

duckroll

I finished Case 9, and while it was also a whole lot of nothing, it was maybe the first case where at the end of it I didn't want to punch everyone involved in the face or wish they were arrested/fired. It was kinda sweet. Started Case 10 and while I thought it was going to be another lame case, the narrative shifted in an unexpected direction.

Case 1 to 8 though.... Jesus Christ.

GeoGonzo

Wish I could download a save game because I don’t think I can make it that far. The first two cases were kind of terrible and soured me on a franchise I hadn’t touched since the first game. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish case 3.

takoyaki

From the Media Create Sales Thread:
02./00. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5) {2017.07.20} (¥4.444) - 70.867 / NEW
For comparison:
03./00. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) {2011.02.26} - 119.591 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980) - 128.856 / NEW <42,22%>
02./00. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500) - 130.686 / NEW

So LMJ, a spin-off, sold 54.2% of what the last mainline Layton game sold in its first week on 3DS.

A really interesting comparison is the Ace Attorney series:
The Great Ace Attorney: 135.690
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies: 250,216

The last spin-off (Great AA) sold 54.2% of what the previous mainline game (AA5) sold in its first week. Just like LMJ.

So I guess those sale are not bad, considering the simultaneous release on mobile with a cheaper price. Hope this is in line with Level5's expectations.
You could argue that LMJ is not a spin-off but the new mainline series and that the 3DS install base is bigger than ever, though.

wrowa

Is this really supposed to be a spin off, though? Considering they sent the series into a hiatus after Azran Legacy, I'd assume they hoped to rekindle interest in the franchise by establishing a new main character. If that was the plan, then it doesn't seem like that quite worked out.

WonderzL

Banned
Is this really supposed to be a spin off, though? Considering they sent the series into a hiatus after Azran Legacy, I'd assume they hoped to rekindle interest in the franchise by establishing a new main character. If that was the plan, then it doesn't seem like that quite worked out.
That's how I feel. The game is as big as the mainline series. Also, it is so similar to the main series... It's not a clear spinoff if it is one. This is definitely Layton 7 (the cellphone game is a spinoff :p)

takoyaki

Yeah, I’m not really sure if we should look at LMJ1 as a spin-off, soft reboot or a new series that’s a successor to the Professor Layton series and was wondering how people in the thread thought about it. Hino has been purposefully vague in interviews, he only mentioned that there will be more LMJ games but that hey might not star Kat. So it’s probably fair to look at LMJ as a new series that succeeds Professor Layton.

From a content perspective, LMJ1 is comparable to The Great Ace Attorney though. Not a numbered sequel, full length game with similar gameplay but set in a different time with a new cast. But that game is a clear spin off since AA6 came out the year after TGAA.

LMJ1 sold in line with the most recent AA spin off and sell-through was 60-80% with 70.641 copies sold. Level5 probably shipped close to 100.000 units which is less than any mainline Layton sold in week 1, so their expectations must have been lower as well; like those for a spin-off title.

And I was only kidding about that Layton 7 smartphone game, it's their second attempt at releasing a "Layton 7" on smartphones that has almost nothing to do with Layton 1-6 while sticking with that name for whatever reason ;)

duckroll

Finished Case 10 last night. Another dreadful conclusion. Case 11 is really good so far, especially with how mandatory puzzles are increasingly weaved into the story events in silly but thematically consistent ways. But by the end of the case I bet I'll be whining about how it is yet another irresponsible professional abusing their authority and committing fraud but getting let off lightly because GOOD INTENTIONS and FRIENDSHIP and whatever FUCKSHIT.

Sorry. I'm storing a lot of pent up dissatisfaction with the story here. >_<

Finished Case 10 last night. Another dreadful conclusion. Case 11 is really good so far, especially with how mandatory puzzles are increasingly weaved into the story events in silly but thematically consistent ways. But by the end of the case I bet I'll be whining about how it is yet another irresponsible professional abusing their authority and committing fraud but getting let off lightly because GOOD INTENTIONS and FRIENDSHIP and whatever FUCKSHIT.
I thought that was fine in some cases (like the first one), but it kinda got out of hand, since it happens with pretty much all of them.
The cruise one was particularly bad imho.

Feep

Banned
Okay. Am I a moron?

(Case 1 spoilers)
Did Case 1 make *any* sense? When was the original *motherfucking giant* clock hand removed? Why bother replacing it with a giant cake if you were good enough to not leave any clues in the first place? How did you transport a giant wafer up Big Ben and then affix it to correctly to the clock mechanisms?

This...doesn't feel very good. The puzzles feel poorly written. Katrielle has some charm, but it doesn't feel like a full-fledged effort thus far.

jonno394

Okay. Am I a moron?

(Case 1 spoilers)
Did Case 1 make *any* sense? When was the original *motherfucking giant* clock hand removed? Why bother replacing it with a giant cake if you were good enough to not leave any clues in the first place? How did you transport a giant wafer up Big Ben and then affix it to correctly to the clock mechanisms?

This...doesn't feel very good. The puzzles feel poorly written. Katrielle has some charm, but it doesn't feel like a full-fledged effort thus far.

The first part is explained in the case. The one brother took it upon himself to clean the hands and removed it. He dropped it and broke it. His brother then made an exact wafer replica, likely so perfect it could just slot in to place and mimic the original hand (the bakers other works are seen to be perfect recreations of real objects.

The case also mentions limited police around big Ben and lack of ppl working inside, so if you suspend disbelief enough it suggests how he brought the wafer hand up and set it.

duckroll

The first case was kinda cute in a
"oh they were just being really silly" way and the joke is that "THE HAND MELTED IN THE RAIN HAHA!" which is.... stupid but definitely kinda funny.
Unfortunately after that it quickly escalates to respected professionals and rich important people effectively wasting public resources and everyone's time just for ~reasons~ and it gets more and more infuriating because the tone feels really socially wrong.

Haunted

+1 to all these sentiments.

People behaving the way they do and being written the way they are really makes it feel more childlike and geared towards kids only compared to past Layton titles. There's a fine line between writing that's silly (and kinda cute that way) and writing that is just... dumb. Almost all of the cases so far have been pretty fucking dumb (on case 8 now). I'm not happy about the game so far, but I'll keep playing because there's enough Layton here to get me through.

Dantero

I hated the early one, Broken scales puzzle because I thought the scales were already displaying the measured +- weights... feel so stupid. And I think there's multiple answers for it. I just could not wrap my head around the wordings.

Did the same thing. It really should state that the picture isn't actually a part of the question.

GeoGonzo

Kind of getting sick of the puns. It’s weird since they never bothered me in Ace Attourney games, for example.

Now I’m wondering if this game has really bad ones or if puns are universally bad and other games simply get away with it due to having better stories or gameplay.

Alastor3

I don't care about the story really, i just want to know about the puzzles, are they good? compared to the first few Layton games ?

duckroll

Sorry. I'm storing a lot of pent up dissatisfaction with the story here. >_<

Hey duckroll! I heard you finished Case 11 now! Don't you love how you were WRONG? The Case actually ended with someone getting what they deserve!

Wait... hold up... let's watch these Codas and see what they wrap up...

FUCK YOU WERE RIGHT! FUCK THIS GAME! FUCK EVERYTHING! :(

JeTmAn81

Kind of getting sick of the puns. It’s weird since they never bothered me in Ace Attourney games, for example.

Now I’m wondering if this game has really bad ones or if puns are universally bad and other games simply get away with it due to having better stories or gameplay.

I've played all of the Layton games and all of the Ace Attorney games except for the most recent entries (well, and I haven't played Great Ace Attorney either due to lack of English translation). The puns in this one are just unimaginative and on the nose. It was never this bad in Ace Attorney.

PK Gaming

I've never really gotten into the Layton games, but the main protagonist is really cute and I love this game's aesthet-

Hey duckroll! I heard you finished Case 11 now! Don't you love how you were WRONG? The Case actually ended with someone getting what they deserve!

Wait... hold up... let's watch these Codas and see what they wrap up...

FUCK YOU WERE RIGHT! FUCK THIS GAME! FUCK EVERYTHING! :(

ulwP68r.png

wrowa

I hated the early one, Broken scales puzzle because I thought the scales were already displaying the measured +- weights... feel so stupid. And I think there's multiple answers for it. I just could not wrap my head around the wordings.

Yeah, that image didn't make a whole lot of sense. The sugar (or whatever it was) was already on the scales, but yet the scales didn't display anything?

duckroll

I finished it. Haven't experienced such an insulting story in a game since Bravely Default. Supremely furastrating and disappointing. I think the Layton series is finished.

Just got the game for 3ds today, and I'm sad that there is no stereoscopic 3D! Just started episode 1, and there's a lot of charm, but that prologue is... short (with too many cut scenes). Hopefully it'll improve ... All the reactions regarding the ending here are worrisome...

I also transferred all my Layton.World items over to the 3DS version. If you're accessing the site in english (like I was), you have to change your language to Japanese (in settings) to access the "Nintendo 3DS " tab. You have to type an 8 letter code for each item. Thank goodness I only had to do it 9 times for everything.

Anyways, I'll go back to playing the game. I'm secretly hoping there will be a Layton Brothers (Alfendi Layton) reference or cameo.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I finished it. Haven't experienced such an insulting story in a game since Bravely Default. Supremely furastrating and disappointing. I think the Layton series is finished.
Damn, now you've made me want to try this as my first Layton game when it hits 3DS.

takoyaki

Just got the game for 3ds today, and I'm sad that there is no stereoscopic 3D! Just started episode 1, and there's a lot of charm, but that prologue is... short (with too many cut scenes). Hopefully it'll improve ... All the reactions regarding the ending here are worrisome...

I also transferred all my Layton.World items over to the 3DS version. If you're accessing the site in english (like I was), you have to change your language to Japanese (in settings) to access the "Nintendo 3DS " tab. You have to type an 8 letter code for each item. Thank goodness I only had to do it 9 times for everything.

Anyways, I'll go back to playing the game. I'm secretly hoping there will be a Layton Brothers (Alfendi Layton) reference or cameo.

Yeah, the lack of 3D support is a real shame. In most games, I turn 3D off but I really liked the effect in Layton games. They handled it really well in L5&6 where you felt like were looking into little dioramas. They also removed the option to use the circle pad and the A button as alternative controls for the magnifying glass, I liked using those controls while on the go.

I’m only near the end of case 5, but so far I’ve been enjoying the game. The story is not as good or interesting as in previous Layton games, the case structure is not handled as well as in the Ace Attorney games since the game doesn’t let you make deductions of your own and cases practically solve themselves, and yes, the puzzles are easier than before (but still fun to solve).

There’s enough Layton charm in LMJ to keep me playing, this is probably the weakest entry in the series but still quite good imo.

LAA

Beat it today.
I do probably feel it's the weakest in the series also, ESPECIALLY on a story level.
Felt like there was nothing really significant on a story level that happened and it was all self contained in each case whatever was significant to that particular case, nothing with particular revelations that reached beyond that case, (though the final twist did surprise me and does make you question a certain characters thoughts in the past)
The thing that most annoyed me:
Nothing about Prof. Layton. Felt pretty cheap to dangle him in front of us at the beginning, just casually drop he's been missing for like 10 years near the end and tease Kat may not be her daughter at the end? Guessing adopted. Felt pretty poor treatment and abuse of a character Level 5 know we care about
I did read an interview that they wanted this to be a soft reboot of sorts and wanted to scale up the mystery from here, but the first Layton was a much bigger mystery than this already while this was more a collection of 12 mini relatively inconsequential mysteries.

Also on a puzzle level, it also felt like a lot of puzzles used the same concepts and ideas.

Other than that, it wins with the quantity of puzzles and I'm pretty comfortable with having Layton on my phone in the future judging with this entry, though my concern with my phone is always storage space...ha ha.

Also question if anyone has it... any idea where the last, 40th, collection item is? Last thing I'm missing searched each room in the last case, not having any luck.

Also question if anyone has it... any idea where the last, 40th, collection item is? Last thing I'm missing searched each room in the last case, not having any luck.
It's in your room, on the sofa if I'm not mistaken. I was also missing that.

Thanks for the quick reply!
That was it!
Nothing for it though seemingly... :(
I think it did say there were no rewards for it, but...one could hope.
Yup, was hoping for something as well. I'm actually missing the fifth section in the Bonus section. There's one for each of the minigames, and one for finishing the last case I believe. Maybe the last one is unlocked for beating the previous ones?

redcrayon

Does the game resolve why the professor disappeared in the end, or is it just kinda handwaved because it would detract attention from Kat? Answer in spoilers just in case please :)

-Amon-

Does the game resolve why the professor disappeared in the end, or is it just kinda handwaved because it would detract attention from Kat? Answer in spoilers just in case please :)

Why not the question too, while we're at here ?

What the fuck.

takoyaki

Why not the question too, while we're at here ?

What the fuck.

It's one of the big story hooks of the game that was revealed in magazine articles, marketing material and it's literally in the opening cutscene.

The hell is this?

A game for smartphones that's supposed to be similar to Werewolf. There's villagers and vampires and you have to figure out who's who. The only connection to the Layton series are the characters and art-style, they justified calling it ”Layton 7" by making the multiplayer for up to 7 players.

It's not out yet, doesn't have a release date and I wouldn't be surprised if Level5 cancelled this game, just like the first "Layton7" game that was shown off but never released.

duckroll

~30 hours. Finished all 185 puzzles, unlocked and watched the final coda. I would say for any hardcore Layton fan this is still a pretty good deal either though it is by far the worst entry in the series. It has a ton of puzzles, and while none of them are as good as the top quality ones in the previous games, most are still fun. The annoying ones are the troll puzzles which are completely unsatisfying.

The plot thought, is absolutely abysmal. The attempt to go with lower key "cute" mysteries instead of a grand ridiculous scifi mystery is a terrible decision because out of the 12 cases in the game, I only found 4 of them to be "cute", while the other 8 are frustratingly nonsensical in terms of being idealistic to the point of naivety, and not something I want in any mystery game. Everyone in the game should be locked up and relieved of all their professional responsibilities. Disgusting.

Out of the 3 sets of minigames, I think the Dog one is pretty challenging for the most part, and the Accessory Shop had pretty tight design. The Ideal Meal on the other hand is kinda flimsy and way too easy, but it does have some very yummy and attractive dishes so it's okay in a style over substance way.

Overall as a big Layton fan who has played every single one of the games including the previous mobile Layton Brothers, I would say that this is at best a 6.5/10.

Top Bottom