• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Le Mans 24; Sega's amazing and basically forgotten about arcade racer...and other legit awesome games people seemed to forget existed

VGEsoterica

Le Mans 24 is every bit as good as Daytona USA 2 or Scud Race on the Model 3 arcade board...but compared to those two games its basically a forgotten about entry in Sega's illustrious arcade development history. Which is so odd because if you enjoy arcade racing games you 100% owe it to yourself to play it because it's as good as Sega' best and more remembered efforts of that generation of arcade gaming.

It has everything you want in an arcade racing game of the era; great graphics that beat home consoles handily, great gameplay, solid handling and a unique hook...which is a pseudo 24 hour race on Le Mans. You get full day/night cycles, randomly generated weather patterns, different handling characteristics depending on the weather...its basically a sim feeling game with way more arcade controls than you'd expect.

It was slated to get ported to Dreamcast, as were many other Model 3 games...and we all know how that went!

But I am curious GAF...how many people played and fondly remember Le Mans 24? Because I certainly do.

Which also got me thinking...what other amazing games came out from developers that were forgotten about when other games of the same era from the same teams are still heralded as all time classics?

TheMan

How many great arcade games will be lost to time, never ported to console where people could enjoy them?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I thought you were talking about this game:
s-l300.jpg

Absolutely loved this game.
Its what introduced me to Endurance racing in general, and now im deep into the sport.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I can't even begin to explain to you how many hours I devoted to playing that game.
Dont worry.
We all carry that shame/medal.
Cuz man I spent way too much time playing that game i almost feel sorry my Dreamcast for basically never being switched off for like days on end.

VGEsoterica

Dont worry.
We all carry that shame/medal.
Cuz man I spent way too much time playing that game i almost feel sorry my Dreamcast for basically never being switched off for like days on end.
No shame in hours played. Ask my wife. She played 500 hours of animal crossing during the pandemic stay at home

VGEsoterica

Sega produced amazing arcade racers. I never played this one but I played every one I saw. Makes me sad that arcades died because that's where Sega did their best work.
I mean Sega just released an arcade exclusive racing game a few years back so they are still in the game!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What a stutterfest, the game is ok, about as ok as Jaleco's Model 2 Super GT24h. Hardly a loss for DC (which got excellent versions of originally-on-Model-3 games like Virtua Striker 2, Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram, Sega Bass Fishing, Virtua Fighter 3tb etc.) vs. F355 or Melbourne House's Le Mans 🤷‍♂️

There's also nothing realistic about it, your video looks like Daytona or Scud Race with less drifting despite your voice over constantly talking about its realism (even in comparison to other Sega arcade racers since you're aware of F355 which is far more realistic to play and looks way better too) 🤷‍♂️

Sega Touring Car Championship on Model 2/Saturn was about as "realistic" (and had endurance type race options also, at least on Saturn, with actual car/tire/whatever damage and stuff as well - which Jaleco's game I mentioned also had) but still not nearly as real as F355 in driving and physics 🤷‍♂️

VGEsoterica said:
I’ll take Le Mans 24 over F355 any day of the week and twice on Sunday
Just because you suck at it though (which should also be a hint that this game isn't nearly as realistic as you claim here, which is why you enjoy it more), it has nothing to do with the games' quality.
Scotty W5 said:
STCC is pure, unadulterated shit.
Git gud.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

What a stutterfest. The game is ok. About as ok as Jaleco's Model 2 Super GT24h. Hardly a loss for DC (which got excellent versions of originally-on-Model-3 games like Virtua Striker 2, Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram, Sega Bass Fishing and Virtua Fighter 3tb) vs F355 or Melbourne House's Le Mans 🤷‍♂️
I’ll take Le Mans 24 over F355 any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Alexios

Ferrari F355 Challenge was easily my favorite racing game for the Dreamcast. I even bought a second copy for PS2 so I could use my steering wheel.
To this day I haven't checked if the cars are more accurate on Dreamcast or on PS2 where they made them a bit taller somehow (you'd have to see them side by side to notice the difference). I'm gonna guess on PS2 given they had time to enhance it and didn't need to do this.

I'm partial to the DC look, though PS2 has some enhancements like some additional detail on posts and more defined door frames, little things like that, while DC seems to have higher LOD in game for things like the opponents' brake lights and other circular car bits up close.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Ferrari F355 Challenge was easily my favorite racing game for the Dreamcast. I even bought a second copy for PS2 so I could use my steering wheel.

One of my fav games on DC AND also one of my fav arcades. I got to play the three screen version running on three separate naomi / model 3 cards. Amazing game.

trikster40

I always loved Blue Print in the arcades. Hard as heck but loved it. I didn’t even know it got ported to Atari consoles, I never had it :(

118124206410.jpg

RickMasters

What sega need to so is make some model 1, 2 and 3 arcade collections. they dont need to be remasterd...just give them the rose tinted glasses treatment like they did with VF2 and daytona I still play both on my series X and wish they released more arcade ports. Its like getting what I didnt have in the sega saturn days (because we all know they machine was not great at replicating any of segas model # boards). Same goes for namco. We never got rave racer or cyber cycles for example. sega and namco need to just hand the source codes over to M2 and let them preserve these games in moder formats. Just give them the daytona/VF2 treatment....keep the original looks and feels. but make them look good on modern displays.

Alexios

they dont need to be remasterd...just give them the rose tinted glasses treatment like they did with VF2 and daytona
Daytona was remastered though, draw distance was increased and it's in higher resolution (and ~3 fps more to get to an even 60) with some higher res 2D backgrounds and stuff. Although it has messed up mipmaps, the road lines become a messy blur a few metres ahead which is very jarring but oh well. I think VF2 had some touch ups also but not as obvious (and the same res upgrade and fps update but that's basically for the games to look right on home displays, even Saturn's VF2 was up to 60). But yep, would be rad to have these, they already must have a somewhat optimized process internally as Yakuza games have included several Model 2 games, from VF2 and FV to VO and Motor Raid, not based on previous ports (I think it's some sort of emulation or wrapper with the rom data, sucks nobody has pulled them for stand alone use, there was an effort for VF5 but it's not 100%).

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Sega Touring Car Championship on Model 2/Saturn was about as realistic (and had endurance type racing options also, at least on Saturn, with actual car/tire/whatever damage and stuff as well - which Jaleco's game I mentioned also had) but still not nearly as real as F355 in driving and physics 🤷‍♂️
STCC is pure, unadulterated shit.

RAIDEN1

When you read that this was planned to be ported to the Dreamcast, it is just a reminder how baffling it is that Sega still had no plans to port Daytona 2 to their swansong..

Scotty W

Gold Member
When you read that this was planned to be ported to the Dreamcast, it is just a reminder how baffling it is that Sega still had no plans to port Daytona 2 to their swansong..
Sega: Makes great arcade games, doesn’t distribute them no one plays them. Makes arcade hits, doesn’t port them to systems that don’t have any games. Nearly bankrupted, humiliatingly forced to exit console business.

Sega fans: You don’t understand how genius Sega was!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sega: Makes great arcade games, doesn’t distribute them no one plays them. Makes arcade hits, doesn’t port them to systems that don’t have any games. Nearly bankrupted, humiliatingly forced to exit console business.

Sega fans: You don’t understand how genius Sega was!
this frusturates me so much.... if the dreamcast had more model 3 ports and sega advertised them harder it might have kept Sega from leaving the console market

Buki1

I really hate current Sega for letting all those classics rot in the gutter. Would be that hard to release some Sega AM3 collection for current gen? Or the arcades in Yakuza series is supposed to be the best place to play Sega classics?

Top Bottom