• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Newt

Captain MF is tempting.
aaf83bca65a2cf5a56df4ca0539d63a2.png

Looking at these new "missions", the new support item stuff and the new RH ... makes me feel like Riot is trying to take on a lot of HOTS ideas.

Which makes sense logically, the game does "Fix" a lot of LoL problems in it's own unique ways.

Yup when I saw the support items that are essentially quest talents from HotS I had a hearty laugh that rito was ripping from an "inferior" game

Then I came to remember that League basically came into existence because it was ripped from doto.

Then I came to remember that League basically came into existence because it was ripped from doto.
Dota, League and HotS all seem to be taking inspiration from each other now (or at least Dota and League are from HotS, I don't know and frankly don't care if HotS is inspired by the other two).

League has stuff like Mekansm + Invoker's Sun Strike in the one item as well which is fun.

Dota, League and HotS all seem to be taking inspiration from each other now (or at least Dota and League are from HotS, I don't know and frankly don't care if HotS is inspired by the other two).

League has stuff like Mekansm + Invoker's Sun Strike in the one item as well which is fun.

Honestly I would say HotS is as original as DotA in alot of regards

So its funny to see doter 2 and rito both take ideas from HotS, whether its a talent system-like or in game quests to empower your character.

Truly hots is the real winner here.

Newt

I'd like league to take inspiration from HOTS. Overall HOTS is kinda a crappy game that lacks direction, but there's lots of good ideas there.

Newt

Also, inhouse today, usual time.

t1495234800z3.png

All you need to do to join is join the discord server in the second post of this thread.

zkylon

zkylewd
This is less about the ability (I'm ambivalent personally) but more about the whole "he directly lied to me" thing.

He is, however, no longer with the company.
lol dude who you think you are

rioter you met probably either didn't know, wasn't allowed to say or an ability like wind wall was legitimately not considered viable in league at the time you asked

you make it sound like he got fired because he was like an ill reputable person or something, when no rioter has any obligation to tell you anything and it's very likely they just told you what they knew or thought at the time

Captain MF is tempting.
aaf83bca65a2cf5a56df4ca0539d63a2.png
not worth it, the splash is amazing but the actual skin is pretty bad

vayne skin is good and ori skin is good too

Leezard

This is less about the ability (I'm ambivalent personally) but more about the whole "he directly lied to me" thing.

He is, however, no longer with the company.

rioter you met probably either didn't know, wasn't allowed to say or an ability like wind wall was legitimately not considered viable in league at the time you asked

you make it sound like he got fired because he was like an ill reputable person or something, when no rioter has any obligation to tell you anything and it's very likely they just told you what they knew or thought at the time

not worth it, the splash is amazing but the actual skin is pretty bad

vayne skin is good and ori skin is good too
Riot as a company has also changed a lot in how they approach champion design and balance. That's why you see more diverse champion designs and balancing has gone more into a Dota-like "buff strengths, nerf weaknesses" style rather than the old "nerf strengths" style. They have also moved away from the whole "burden of knowledge" and "anti-fun" terminology years ago. What would've never happened during old Riot (Wind wall, Bard tunnel, etc.) can happen with current Riot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Riot as a company has also changed a lot in how they approach champion design and balance. That's why you see more diverse champion designs and balancing has gone more into a Dota-like "buff strengths, nerf weaknesses" style rather than the old "nerf strengths" style. They have also moved away from the whole "burden of knowledge" and "anti-fun" terminology years ago. What would've never happened during old Riot (Wind wall, Bard tunnel, etc.) can happen with current Riot.
yeah this is why i don't like those whole "lied to" narratives

like developers are entitled to change their minds, specially in cases like riot when whenever they change their mind it's usually for the better

I'm not a fan of how forgiving Windwall is and how he can just sit in it and ignore ranged attacks. Braum's shield is a much better application of the skill.
it's super annoying but i like the ability

kinda like yasuo overall, i like him more in theory than practice

overall i was thinking yesterday how i feel about champions like yasuo or vayne or riven or whatever and where they fit in league. league has turned into such a team thing that i kind of feel those champions should get big changes to make them into more of a team playing character. but i was also thinking a lot of the overwatch thing of "people like completely different kinds of champions" (from all about aiming widowmaker to just hold l-click symmetra) and it's not bad to cater to all

but idk, maybe it's my losing streak but i'm tired of champions that do nothing but "solo carry" exist

And thank god for that. Game was getting homogenous for a bit before they had the eureka moment.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like it'll end up being like 6 bans instead of 10 then?

no way there are not multiple repeats every game

at least it's shorter times but doesn't sound like the cleanest of solutions

Leezard

My personal sales are great. I'm thinking of Zyra or Thresh, but I have Deep Sea Thresh and Fire Zyra already.

yeah this is why i don't like those whole "lied to" narratives

like developers are entitled to change their minds, specially in cases like riot when whenever they change their mind it's usually for the better

And thank god for that. Game was getting homogenous for a bit before they had the eureka moment.

Yeah, for sure. League has changed a lot for the better.

Why would that make it 6 bans instead of 10? The whole reason they're changing the ban style is because they want 10 bans. Changing how we ban and moving back to 6 would be strange.

JulianImp

Why would that make it 6 bans instead of 10? The whole reason they're changing the ban style is because they want 10 bans. Changing how we ban and moving back to 6 would be strange.

Because, say, both teams ban top meta champs A, B and C, so they end up "wasting" three repeat bans; still, I think it's okay because you basically get to pick that which you really don't want to see in your game. And while it might open up some cases of "whoops, X got through", I think that, at least in lower-levels of play, people don't really have robust enough champ pools to support pick trading, and even then, top-tier competitive picks tend to actually be worse down here because most of the time people play them only due to meta popularity, and actually suck at playing them.

zkylon

zkylewd
because repeats

high banrate champions like lulu, sejuani, ivern, fizz, would probably get banned by both teams making those bans worth only 1

maybe 6 is a stretch, but certainly not gonna see 10 bans all games

Eh, simultaneous bans seem like a half measure.

On average a player is already going to spend 20-35 minutes playing the game. Spending an extra 30-60 seconds is nothing.

If anything increase the penalties for dodging, if youre worried about worst case scenarios.

Leezard

Yeah I'm guessing we will see a lot of repeats since everyone hates some champs.

Perhaps they will get through more if people wants to bet that their opponent might ban it though.
Eh, simultaneous bans seem like a half measure.

On average a player is already going to spend 20-35 minutes playing the game. Spending an extra 30-60 seconds is nothing.

If anything increase the penalties for dodging, if youre worried about worst case scenarios.

Dodges are good that they are allowed though. There's really not much to be gained from punishing dodges more.

because repeats

high banrate champions like lulu, sejuani, ivern, fizz, would probably get banned by both teams making those bans worth only 1

maybe 6 is a stretch, but certainly not gonna see 10 bans all games

Did you mean you expect on average 6 unique bans per game? Because I read your post as saying 'teams will only be given 3 bans to use.

I mean, I knew the guy prior to him joining Riot.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Some of the stat sites are starting to get some more solid data on 7.10, though most of them still aren't displaying lots of stuff properly. Lots of interesting changes though so I kind of expect some heavy meta shifts. Graves looks absurdly weak to me with a plummeting winrate, we will see how long it takes for the community to move away from a character like that. Expect lots of Zac assuming it does not wind up being permanently banned. The window to flash out of his initiation is ~.1 seconds, which is maybe something that tests better in a LAN environment than on actual servers. As it is now Zac has an 1800 range initiation for the slingshot knockup, which is really difficult to keep track of, and the displacement on the ult is maybe one of the strongest initiation tools in the game. His damage output tracks slightly ahead of other tanks now too, which is a pretty astonishing feat considering the fact that he does not have to invest in hybrid items like Iceborn Gauntlet/Triforce, Warrior Enchant, Titanic, or even something like Abyssal. Zac is a straight tank with all that damage built in now, and the weak magic resist itemization outside of the healing focused Spirit Visage really push him further over the top. Unlike other tanks he does not even need extra utility/CC on his engage. While other initiators struggle in the mid/late with Deadman's to try and catch targets Zac does not have to worry about movespeed at all.

I was curious about how useful Adaptive Helm would be in regards to the passive (it is a very situational pickup either way) but it looks like it has decent stats for the cost.

There are better items unless you're against specific things like Karthus etc.

I'd rather have Abyssal or Spirit Visage in that slot against different champs tbh

Some of the stat sites are starting to get some more solid data on 7.10, though most of them still aren't displaying lots of stuff properly. Lots of interesting changes though so I kind of expect some heavy meta shifts. Graves looks absurdly weak to me with a plummeting winrate, we will see how long it takes for the community to move away from a character like that. Expect lots of Zac assuming it does not wind up being permanently banned. The window to flash out of his initiation is ~.1 seconds, which is maybe something that tests better in a LAN environment than on actual servers. As it is now Zac has an 1800 range initiation for the slingshot knockup, which is really difficult to keep track of, and the displacement on the ult is maybe one of the strongest initiation tools in the game. His damage output tracks slightly ahead of other tanks now too, which is a pretty astonishing feat considering the fact that he does not have to invest in hybrid items like Iceborn Gauntlet/Triforce, Warrior Enchant, Titanic, or even something like Abyssal. Zac is a straight tank with all that damage built in now, and the weak magic resist itemization outside of the healing focused Spirit Visage really push him further over the top. Unlike other tanks he does not even need extra utility/CC on his engage. While other initiators struggle in the mid/late with Deadman's to try and catch targets Zac does not have to worry about movespeed at all.

Yeah Zac feels incredibly strong right now

though he's also just so much more enjoyable and interesting to play with the two reworked spells. There's a balance middle ground for him but I think he is much more meaningfully differentiate from other tanks with a more enjoyable combat pattern

drawkcaB

This was the first time ever that I actually thought the skin sales reflected what I play. All supports that I regularly play, with the exception of a volibear skin, which I don't understand at all.

Tried out some more Rek'Sai and Kindred on the PBE. I have no idea what to think of Rek'Sai right now. I don't know what to think of either rework. I'm constantly torn between giving them lots of play time next patch and not bothering at all.

My video card crapped out on my two nights in a row and the last time was for keeps. Picked up a GTX 1060 this morning, so I guess that's nice.

Yeah, Riot rushed his buffs. He had some really major, very skill dependent changes to his kit. His WR% numbers were bound to be shit on release. Best jungle tank stays best jungle tank, I guess.

I'm personally looking at Rammus as well. His numbers have been steadily climbing over the past few days. Players are moving away from W first max builds and catching on that E first max builds are the new normal. Q first max builds also have a high win rate, but the sample size is very, very small. I don't think he's heading for top tier or anything, but he seems like he's joining the too small group of legit tank junglers now.

Sejuani's dropped quite a bit win rate wise, but still in a good spot overall. Personally I'm seeing bans of her every game still and I don't think it's justified to that extent, there's higher priority stuff out there now.

It's funny. People are all "u mad bro" when they don't show up for objectives but as soon as you stop giving a shit and go to farm instead of coming to an obvious teamfight they're all "WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?"

They didn't see the irony in it.

Fucking Ewww ...

Feels like a damn back handed mess. "Lets make a 10 ban system! But lets make it in a way that allows the total amount of unique bans to be between 5-10 depending on the meta!".
Honestly I would say HotS is as original as DotA in alot of regards

So its funny to see doter 2 and rito both take ideas from HotS, whether its a talent system-like or in game quests to empower your character.

Truly hots is the real winner here.

I agree.

People here seem to look down on Hots for some reason but like I said ... it fixes many LoL problems in it's own unique ways. The fact that we see Riot take so many concepts from them tells you that they see how beneficial these fixes are.

I mean, I just played 5+ games of HoTS as Li Li Support ... not cause I was forced to but because I thought she was fun and some of the time my team lacked a support. I would sooner dodge and close the game for the night instead of dealing with bot lane most of the time if autofilled support in LoL.

zkylon

zkylewd
lux video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvflWd9t95I

i don't like it, i think the music choice is bad again and riot keeps shoehorning lux into this victimized character that's boring and lame af, but in this video in particular it does so without giving her character or a cool scene or nothing, she's just like lying there all sad faced and then walks a bit and rides a horse, which again i'm really confused why it's so important on her story

the only video out of this series i've liked is darius'

i'm all for more videos and lower-risk experimentation stuff, i hope they do more and all of that, but since there's no proper cg videos in years or even comics or anything other than short stories, then i'll be really critical of these until there's something more meaningful

I mean, I knew the guy prior to him joining Riot.
well i guess then you're upset about him not telling you the truth because he's your friend, not because he's a rioter. in that case you're super right to be upset, but he might not have known about it or whatever.

i'm more irritated when people act entitled to all that stuff. riot gives you an amazing game for free and they're probably the most open big game dev that exists, they definitely need to answer about stuff sometimes but we're not owed to be answered every single thing by them, and less specially by unique rioters that are just doing their job

idk why his e was considered a cool spell, you barely got any time to react to it and it's impossible to ward against and super safe on zac's side

i hate that shit

JulianImp

Finally bothered to log into my main account and checking my skin sales... and there isn't much I actually want to get. I'd have loved to get the winter-themed Singed skin, but I instead got his eSports one, which was pretty lame. Also no, I don't want more Nami or Naut skins, thank you.

I did get cottontail Teemo at a 60% discount though, so I guess I might end up charging the lowest amount of RP I can so I can get it. Then I'll have to wait for the next chroma sale so I can get the polka-dot skin for regular play, or troll people even better with the purple or baby-blue versions.

zkylon

zkylewd
DAPkI6hXYAQLgJv.jpg:large

so

missions are gonna have time limits...

forget whatever optimism i had about missions, this is absolute garbage

hey let's have players engage more with the game by showering them with time limited challenges tied to actual rewards! that's what this game really needs! that's not gonna have a totally negative impact on the game whatsoever!

that's so fucking lame omg

DAPkI6hXYAQLgJv.jpg:large

so

missions are gonna have time limits...

forget whatever optimism i had about missions, this is absolute garbage

hey let's have players engage more with the game by showering them with time limited challenges tied to actual rewards! that's what this game really needs!

Uh I like how one of them requires a certain ward skin, and then its actually about killing and assists?

So are they repeatable? Do you get a new one every day? They should make it like HotS and simply have a limit of 3 quests, and you dont get any after you reach the limit.

Top Bottom