• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

zkylon

zkylewd
i kind of really look forward to the swain vgu

like imagine how disturbing and awesome he'll look

i hope he keeps the cane

drawkcaB

i see where you're coming from but i don't really agree, i think you want unlikely abilities on all the different classes to keep them varied

you could make a similar argument for taliyah's ult, but that makes her unique among the mid roster, i think it's a similar deal with ryze

The difference is that Ryze's ultimate consume a terrific amount of his power budget in competitive play which in turn means that he has to be total dog shit in solo queue. By all means give Ryze some utility beyond that obnoxious on-click snare, but make it actually synergize with his role and play style so the kit doesn't become a nightmare to balance.

And bringing up Taliyah doesn't really disprove my point. After her initial spike in competitive she suffered the same solo queue vs. competitive balance issues too, and a big reason for that was how power was budgeted to her ult until her recent (I think recent? I don't pay attention to mid balance patch-to-patch anymore) changes.

Tizoc

This thread has been spicy the last couple of pages

I need to fight with someone

fisticuffs lessgo
Swain rework will go up along with his new dragon master swain skin
tumblr_inline_ors84rJktp1th6ut1_540.png

zkylon

zkylewd
The difference is that Ryze's ultimate consume a terrific amount of his power budget in competitive play which in turn means that he has to be total dog shit in solo queue. By all means give Ryze some utility beyond that obnoxious on-click snare, but make it actually synergize with his role and play style so the kit doesn't become a nightmare to balance.

And bringing up Taliyah doesn't really disprove my point. After her initial spike in competitive she suffered the same solo queue vs. competitive balance issues too, and a big reason for that was how power was budgeted to her ult until her recent (I think recent? I don't pay attention to mid balance patch-to-patch anymore) changes.
but this wouldn't be any different if their ultimates were on a support

i feel like some kits just favor coordinated play regardless of the class, as an example like some supports like alistar have been a lot more effective in competitive because pros are much better at coordinated towerdiving

edit: also idk if that's changed, but weren't ppl not taking ryze's ult until level 11 or something?

duppolo

Can you give me some advice or YouTube video on how to win early game as Katarina? In my bronze I usually come back mid game, but lost the farm war in lane

pigeon

Banned
Doesn't help that Graves is a troll pick right now. I don't allow him on my team.

b011d1c9b923891b00966f7844d3b9c4.png

It's tough because they have to start working on the victorious skin pretty early in the season. It's probably always a champ that was popular in spring split. But it's definitely a bummer that he completely disappeared. Riot balance should read the script a little better. Kappa etc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
huh...graves is not even viable....should be reverted or something because it seems like they don't want him to be good as a jungler.

dev blog on missions: https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2017/10/dev-missions-update/

seems like they have a fairly good grasp on what worked and what didn't, tho i'd still argue missions are for the most part a really shallow and pointless system

i do like it better as a way of earning icons rather than just buying them with 1500 ip, but all missions have done so far is make me feel bad for not having time to do them

This what they should do

Make missions daily, up to a max of 3
Missions dont disappear until you do then
Special event Missions should be on a separate slot that doesnt take up your daily mission
Missions should award blue essence, key fragments, or chests
Special event missions award everything else ie icons.

Done.

zkylon

zkylewd
i still think they should've done victorious ardent censer

This what they should do

Special event Missions should be on a separate slot that doesnt take up your daily mission

Done.
i don't like that kind of stuff cos it feels like busywork

This what they should do

Done.

Yeah they should probably also have missions for characters from Warcraft, characters from Starcraft, and characters from Diablo.

Quonny

There should be weekly missions, season missions, and account/lifetime missions.

And then sprinkle in the special missions for events. Done.

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, its optional.

i'm of the mind that everything in the game should have a solid purpose that enhanced the game meaningfully

having random crap to do because "engagement" is a trend right now is really weak, these missions rarely add something (kill two mountain dragons and two fire dragons, so exciting!) and when they do it's usually something you have to do as a five man premade and it's rarely anything really special

i've played games with my friends that were like freljord themed or whatever and we didn't need stupid bars to fill

i think missions are really pointless and dumb, they've added nothing and annoy me with their pestering and their triggering of my ocd completitionism. every time i've failed to get a mission i've felt bad, and whenever i complete a mission i've never felt good about it

what can i say i think riot's metagame design work is really trash

i'm of the mind that everything in the game should have a solid purpose that enhanced the game meaningfully

having random crap to do because "engagement" is a trend right now is really weak, these missions rarely add something (kill two mountain dragons and two fire dragons, so exciting!) and when they do it's usually something you have to do as a five man premade and it's rarely anything really special

i've played games with my friends that were like freljord themed or whatever and we didn't need stupid bars to fill

i think missions are really pointless and dumb, they've added nothing and annoy me with their pestering and their triggering of my ocd completitionism. every time i've failed to get a mission i've felt bad, and whenever i complete a mission i've never felt good about it

so they should scrap this skin and icon business because neither of those enhance the game itself, right?

Like..missions are fine. They give people something to do, a goal. And that's fine. It sounds like ritos missions just need to be better realized.

zkylon

zkylewd
so they should crap this skin and icon business because neither of those enchance the game itself, right?

skins let you customize and reimagine your favorite characters, skins definitely enhance the game

icons i think it's really stupid riot actually sells avatars but w/e, i don't think many people buy those

Like..missions are fine. They give people something to do, a goal. And that's fine. It sounds like ritos missions just need to be better realized.
they really don't

you have stuff like get 40 assists or kill 2 fire dragons and 2 stone dragons, that's not something interesting to do, that's getting a pat on the back for playing the game normally

then there's stuff like "win a game with ashe on either team", which is like, really random and pointless

the thing about playing an all melee comp is more interesting, but since it requires a 5 premade they tied a really meaningless reward to it so it's just whatever

they also group missions with extra event currencies that you can trade in for pointless garbage like a skin shard or an icon or whatever

i do think it's better to earn icons than buying them, but the way they've set up the whole system is so needlessly overdone

pigeon

Banned

Missions enhance the game by giving people who are not focused on rank personal goals to pursue.

You may not like those personal goals or the rewards, but that's not, like, a fundamental problem with the design of missions.

skins let you customize and reimagine your favorite characters, skins definitely enhance the game

icons i think it's really stupid riot actually sells avatars but w/e, i don't think many people buy those

and missions enchance the game by letting people who just play normal have a little fun and have something else to do.

They enhance the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Missions enhance the game by giving people who are not focused on rank personal goals to pursue.

You may not like those personal goals or the rewards, but that's not, like, a fundamental problem with the design of missions.
the mastery system does that, missions you generally complete in like, maybe 2 games and forget they even existed

and they can't make missions interesting because that would condition people to playing suboptimal shit or playing in ways that aren't just for winning (like today with my friends we stalled out a game to get an extra fire dragon for the mission even tho we could've just blown up the nexus right there and then)

it's such a lazy engagement system

and missions enchance the game by letting people who just play normal have a little fun and have something else to do.

They enhance the game.

like i said, most of these missions don't require any extra effort on your behalf, you don't have "something else to do" if your goal is to get 40 assists, you just play 3 or 4 games and that's it

it doesn't enhance the game in any way, they just trigger the addict shit in your brain that gets a happiness rush off seeing bars fill up

Leezard

I don't like HotS daily mission system because the economy is tuned around it so you barely get shit all from finishing games outside the missions. Because of that it forces me to play roles or heroes I'm not interested to play.

I think it's a shitty system that decreases my enjoyment of the game.

I don't like HotS daily mission system because the economy is tuned around it so you barely get shit all from finishing games outside the missions. Because of that it forces me to play roles or heroes I'm not interested to play.

I think it's a shitty system that decreases my enjoyment of the game.

In ranked though they flatline the requirements where any character fulfills any mission tho

And the economy is now tuned around loot boxes, all gold is good for is rerolling lootboxes.

Leezard

In ranked though they flatline the requirements where any character fulfills any mission tho

And the economy is now tuned around loot boxes, all gold is good for is rerolling lootboxes.

Sure, that's only helpful if you can and/or do play ranked though.

For the bolded, that's another thing that makes the economy really suck in HotS IMO. The grind to get a single 10k gold hero is considerably worse than the grind to get a single 6300 IP champ in league. Sure you can get one in a loot box, but it's extremely rare to get a legendary hero there. I'm around lvl 100 in hots and I've not gotten a single 10k gold hero in a loot box. Some other legendary drops, but heroes are what's most interesting to me as a relatively new player.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Guess I'm gonna have to start grinding. I was gold last season and I've played maybe 15 ranked games this season. I'm silver II so it shouldn't take too long, hopefully.

Leezard

zkylon

zkylewd
what's kind of hilarious is that you play this game every day for years and still don't understand that ranking is not the same as mmr...

cmon pat

edit: my tip for ppl rushing to do the 5 melee champions is to never let up pressure for a single second. if there's one teamfight in the game you lose

2F0CiyC.png

also doesn't help their j4 was challenger but i guess you just roll the dice with normals

Newt

what's kind of hilarious is that you play this game every day for years and still don't understand that ranking is not the same as mmr...

cmon pat

edit: my tip for ppl rushing to do the 5 melee champions is to never let up pressure for a single second. if there's one teamfight in the game you lose

2F0CiyC.png

also doesn't help their j4 was challenger but i guess you just roll the dice with normals
How does playing 20 games of flex put you in mid diamond mmr?

zkylon

zkylewd
How does playing 20 games of flex put you in mid diamond mmr?
20 games is a bit strange, but maybe just your previous seasons mmr affecting it?

and yeah flex is nightmarish for me sometimes but cmon, you're d3 and you're matched with ppl your own elo, this is riot actually doing their work right, let's not all be envlap plsss

Top Bottom