• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championship 2017 |SEP 23-NOV 4|

Leezard

mgPEV4P.jpg

C9 looks pretty rip. Fnatic got a doable group, but I would still rank LZ and Immortals above em. C was rip anyways and TSM got WE in their groups, but it's still the easiest one.
Looking like a decent draw.
'
I can't wait for the groups to begin.

notaskwid

TSM's group ended up the closest one since C9 wasn't drawn into Group C. Probably gonna be fought until the last game.
Can see every team taking games out of eqch other tbh. Maybe with Misfits being the weaker one and if FW are on thei good form or not.

cHinzo

I just hope for some close and action packed games. Stomps are just boring to watch. Tough first day for the west though with games against SKT, Longzhu, and Samsung. ._.

Stiler

Seriously, why do Cloud 9 ALWAYS get thrown to the wolves?

Going up against SKT is basically a death sentence :(, hope I'm wrong though but yeah.

TSM/Fnatic get much better chances.

Sol Mori

C9 looks pretty rip. Fnatic got a doable group, but I would still rank LZ and Immortals above em. C was rip anyways and TSM got WE in their groups, but it's still the easiest one.

Group A: Of the two groups they could have slotted in to C9 got the better one. While the expectation is that the 3 Korean teams will be #1 in their groups, EDG is probably a safer bet for C9 than RNG. The LMS has tended to be rather top heavy with FW being much better than AHQ. I'd expect group A to be SKT (1), C9/EDG (2/3), and AHQ (4).

Group B: I'm not sold on FNC doing well in group B, because HKA was the one pool 1 seed that people thought might get upset; and they did get upset. LZ, IMT, and GAM are all much tougher opponents than FNC had to play during the play-ins. LZ (1), IMT(2), GAM(3), FNC(4).

Group C: Welcome to the group of death FB. G2 do not do well in Bo1s and as much as everyone praises their MSI performance it was a 3 way tie with FW and TSM out of groups and RNG and SSG are much better teams than FW and TSM were then or even are now. SSG (1), RNG (2), G2 (3), FB (4).

Group D: This is looked at as the most competitive or even group, but honestly I think it will just be WE and TSM fighting for #1 and FW and MSF going home. WE (1), TSM (2), FW (3), MSF (4).

zkylon

zkylewd
i think play-ins as a pre-tournament has some issues but it's a pretty cool addition to the format. it doesn't change anything if you don't want to watch it but for me it introduced players i didn't know existed and was really fun to watch

also i really want to pick TSM out of their group but everyone's shitting on LMS this year so idk

I'd say the Play-In was a success. Could do with scheduling more matches on weekends and probably the format could be improved but I've always liked the idea of more wildcard v main region competition and we got that. Good variety of results too - LMS's 3-seed got pushed into 2nd, EU's dropped a game before rolling when they had to, China's didn't lose but didn't stomp the stronger wildcards, C9 crushed.

NA going back to Bo1s. Reddit inflamed with fury. I'm pretty sanguine about it. Truth is their data nails my viewing habits exactly - I used to watch religiously when the leagues were Bo1, but with Bo3s and double streams I only caught bigger matches and playoffs. And hardly watched EU at all outside of playoffs. A bit more random variance and excitement during the regular split wouldn't hurt, especially since at the end of the day it doesn't count for much once playoffs start. As long as the teams are happy that they're not losing crucial match practice as a result.

faridmon

WE didn't convinced me a lot during the Play-in, so I still think TSM has a good shot as leaving the group as first seed.

faridmon

Lol fnatic initiated a team fight thinking they would win, their whole team got collapsed on out of nowhere and their inhib was gone in a sec

Reminds me of my Silver ELO games.

faridmon

Korea looks more ahead than previous years relative to the rest, impressive.

their league is insanely competitive.

When the likes of Jin Air and MVP beating SKT and SSG, you know the ceiling is way ahead of everyone else.

I mean, TSM just dominates EU with no real pressure. They will never win anything with that sort of competition

Leezard

What a long game. AHQ getting the upset.

their league is insanely competitive.

When the likes of Jin Air and MVP beating SKT and SSG, you know the ceiling is way ahead of everyone else.

I mean, TSM just dominates EU with no real pressure. They will never win anything with that sort of competition

You're probably not wrong with that statement, but I think you mean NA.

zkylon

zkylewd
finished watching all the games

gam vs fnatic was definitely lots of fun, gam really dragged fnatic down to their level and it was a blast to watch. it's gonna be fun to see if it can work twice

the ahq upset was also a pretty fun game, i don't think either team played very well, but it was an entertaining, tense game full of big teamfights and other nonsense

other than that:
- immortals looked like they had a plan, but longzhu just dismantled them the second they gave them an inch
- skt looked as ahead of c9 as c9 was ahead of the play-in teams, was kind of painful to watch. faker played out of his mind too
- i don't think fnatic looked too bad, gam just cheesed them too hard
- rng didn't look super solid either, but they won comfortably so i think they'll get an easy second spot
- samsung looked a bit flaky but samsung is super weird

also it's kind of a shame that like i was fearing a few patches ago, we're deep in a janna meta, but thankfully these games have been entertaining regardless. i do wish that goes away since it feels like we get robbed of watching these amazing supports play playmaking champions, and it's kind of tedious if every game goes lategame

also i get the feeling skt is gonna win worlds

The buff was ridiculous to be fair. He is gonna be nerfed after world.

I honestly thought Azir would come back in the meta
but the ryze buff was actually really tiny -__-

Stiler

I'm just......can C9 have the worst luck of any team? Basically like "Here you made it to the play ins, now we're throwing you to the wolves for your first game."

Still hope they might get through Ahq.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm just......can C9 have the worst luck of any team? Basically like "Here you made it to the play ins, no we're throwing you to the wolves for your first game.
They got outdrafted and found themselves picking an out of meta top laner that the enemy has not practiced against at all because it is considered a joke. It's not an issue of luck....
Game was actually not some kind of a crazy stomp but the Rek'sai played really poorly so what can you do?

Top Bottom