• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Leak/Rumor] Release date of The Last of Us Part 2 revealed (May 22. 2020), and information on the new Naughty Dog IP ("Stray's cross" project)

People complain about Sony only making 3rd person game, immediately start complaining about the possibility of an fps. None of the trigger words like diversity or inclusion are used, SJW cancer is thrown around. Just waiting for someone to say it probably has predatory gambling mechanics.

mortal

Gold Member
Another 4chan rumor, ugh...

Assuming any of this is true, at least we have a bit of info on an actual first party PS5 title. I'm beyond ready for next gen.

The first person seems like an interesting design decision, given Naughty Dog's long history with designing 3rd person titles. I welcome the change if true. I could see them making a premiere title for VR.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
It's not releasing this year.

tumblr_oknextaAzm1v9oda2o2_r1_500.gif

I’ve been expecting this for a while, though I realize it’s not yet confirmed.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
tumblr_oknextaAzm1v9oda2o2_r1_500.gif

I’ve been expecting this for a while, though I realize it’s not yet confirmed.

Haha, just realised I have it on the league. Yeah, I was convinced at the start of the year that TLoU2 was going to release when Death Stranding is, and Death Stranding would be a holiday 2020 game. I still can't believe the latter is so close.

xool

So on the first leak - 9 months (July 2019) before projected release (May 2020) the production team identifies that certain assets (textures etc) need improvement, and requests a 6 month (2 seasons) extension of development time.

Needs 15+ months to improve some assets..

What tools are they working with? MS Paint?

[edit = maybe take on the texture artist full time? instead of 2 days a week .. something like that .. not here to tell people their jobs etc]

Last edited:

Elitist1945

A first person ND game would be interesting for sure. I don't believe the rumour though, although I guess time shall tell.

I do want a sci-fi game from them though.

- 4 chan: check
- "leak" written seemingly by someone in elementary school: check

Yeah sure.

The most interesting thing here is that some are actually taking it seriously.

4chan has had some instances of legitimate leaks. Bloodborne (Project beast) images leaked there, a Sony conference was leaked there about a half hour before it started, a Nintendo conference too. While its true there are a lot of fake leaks, there definitely are some legit ones. This smells like bullshit though.

D.Final

Banned
I hope the new IP isn't infected with the sjw cancer, small synopsis reads like duckman had his hand on it.

I also thought the same thing the first time I read it.
Duckman certainly can, potentially, having contributed to the plot.

But in any case I think it's still too early to know for sure.
But the conditions could be there.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
ND debated doing an FPS before deciding on what would become The Last of Us. Ballestra says this at the beginning of the TLOU Documentary.

Finally deciding to go first person doesn't seem that far fetched to me. The premise also seems "appropriately Druckmann."

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Again, assuming this is true; the visual fidelity and animations for this new IP are going to be bonkers.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I think these leaks are really true.
Especially by virtue of the particular details released.

Like the name of the new IP project, and the very specific date of The Last of Us Part 2 and its official public announcement for this fall.

Mattyp

Gold Member
They need an FPS on the system but I don't think ND are the ones to do it.

And I think they should keep Last of Us 2 for a PS5 launch title / PS4 same day. What other titles are their studios working on that would be ready at launch otherwise?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm not sure if ZhugeEX has said anything about it, but he has heard a FEB 2020 release date.

I'm sure we'll be playing Last of Us Part II sometime this year ;)

D.Final

Banned
First person naughty dog ? I dig it.

Guerrilla goes third person, ND first... I like it.

I agree.

I think it will be interesting to see Naughty Dogs struggling with a different kind of game.
And maybe even create something new and unique.

And in the meantime, The Last of Us Part 2 will be able to take advantage of all the available technical resources offered by PS4 for May 22nd 2020.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am curious how PS5 will handle BC. Shouldn't I expect it to be able play this game like PS4 Pro + on a PS5? If so why should I buy it a few months before at full price on my launch PS4? I enjoyed TLOU but that was so long ago I can't remember much about it at all.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's a believable date, they defininitely need to release it before the next-gen arrives so that they can sell it for a second time in a year or two. ;)

Not sure what to think of that new project. Personally I'm a little bit tired of playing through Sony games featuring sidekick/partner characters.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
ND debated doing an FPS before deciding on what would become The Last of Us. Ballestra says this at the beginning of the TLOU Documentary.

Finally deciding to go first person doesn't seem that far fetched to me. The premise also seems "appropriately Druckmann."

I agree.

With the enormous technical potential of the new console, and the great experience of Naughty Dog in creating great works, it will be interesting to see what they will do with Stray's cross.

D.Final

Banned
I'm not sure if ZhugeEX has said anything about it, but he has heard a FEB 2020 release date.

I'm sure we'll be playing Last of Us Part II sometime this year ;)

I, on the other hand, think that the date of 22 May 2020 is more likely.

For multiple reasons, including the timing of release of as many large AAAs, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake and Cyberpunk.

Moreover, it is already several months that the famous insiders begin to make assumptions, sometimes incorrect, about things they don't even know, to ride the wave of the trend.
(as if, tomorrow, another insider arrives telling you: "ah but it comes out in February". And how do you know? Why have I seen on Amazon leaks :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:)

This is why I believe there is something much more interesting in the date, and especially in the information given by these leaks :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

truth411

I'm guessing they meant Naughty Dawg originally wanted to release in holiday 2019, but delayed til spring 2020. That would make more sense. Probably a miscommunication. In any case it looks like Ghost Of Tsushima will likely be a PS5 launch title, Cross gen with PS4.
That's how I see it.

D.Final

Banned
I'm guessing they meant Naughty Dawg originally wanted to release in holiday 2019, but delayed til spring 2020. That would make more sense. Probably a miscommunication. In any case it looks like Ghost Of Tsushima will likely be a PS5 launch title, Cross gen with PS4.
That's how I see it.

Even I'm think that Ghost of Tsushima will surely be Nextgen at this point.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

May 22nd is actually a few weeks earlier than I was expecting but it's not official yet and I'll stick with my June 12th, 2020 release date. Highly doubt that Sony will announce the release date before Death Stranding releases and not expecting an announcement until early 2020.
Sony's not going to release the game during E3 you're bad at this.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony's not going to release the game during E3 you're bad at this.

First, the original TLOU released the week of E3 2013. Second, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Sony does it again as I firmly believe that TLOUP2 will be PS4's swan song heading into PS5. And third, since E3 2018, I have been predicting the same thing - Death Stranding in September 2019 which would have been accurate if it wasn't for the short delay Kojima announced several months ago when he said that he's slightly behind schedule, I would have been correct because the game was originally coming out this September. Ghost of Tsushima in February 2020 and TLOUP2 in June 2020 the Friday of E3 2020. I haven't changed my predictions and will stick with them until the bitter end.

D.Final

Banned
Rumor was that Both TLOU and Ghost Of Tsushima are getting PS5 Remasters. So being a PS5 Launch title and releasing on the PS4 wouldn't change anything.

In this sense, yes.
It is likely that he will receive a Remastered but, at the same time, we must also see how they will handle the backward compatibility issue between PS4 games on PS5.
(which could make the Remastered editions substantially useful for a major technical and graphic upgrade but at the same time making the backward compatibility feature for PS5 potentially useless)

truth411

In this sense, yes.
It is likely that he will receive a Remastered but, at the same time, we must also see how they will handle the backward compatibility issue between PS4 games on PS5.
(which could make the Remastered editions substantially useful for a major technical and graphic upgrade but at the same time making the backward compatibility feature for PS5 potentially useless)
I'm thinking it will be remastered in a similar way GTAV was for the PS4. It's was remastered/significantly upgraded.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
NG, SONY will find a way to position this game for success. I thought Uncharted 4 had the perfect release window.

D.Final

Banned
I'm thinking it will be remastered in a similar way GTAV was for the PS4. It's was remastered/significantly upgraded.

Probably yes.

Or alternatively, they will upgrade PS4 games directly to PS5 via a free patch or update.

By the end of next year we will know how they have decided to moving with this choice in the end.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I, on the other hand, think that the date of 22 May 2020 is more likely.

For multiple reasons, including the timing of release of as many large AAAs, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake and Cyberpunk.

Moreover, it is already several months that the famous insiders begin to make assumptions, sometimes incorrect, about things they don't even know, to ride the wave of the trend.
(as if, tomorrow, another insider arrives telling you: "ah but it comes out in February". And how do you know? Why have I seen on Amazon leaks :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:)

This is why I believe there is something much more interesting in the date, and especially in the information given by these leaks :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

We should know more before the year is over.

Uncharted 4 had a multiplayer beta, and the same thing is most likely going to happen with Last of Us Part II. If the game is going to release during the 1st Q then the game will likely be announced around December with a multiplayer stress test, if not, then May release date seems likely.

D.Final

Banned
They need an FPS on the system but I don't think ND are the ones to do it.

And I think they should keep Last of Us 2 for a PS5 launch title / PS4 same day. What other titles are their studios working on that would be ready at launch otherwise?

I think the only other game that maybe, or potentially, could be ready for PS5 (besides The Last of Us Part 2) will definitely be Ghost of Tsushima.

Top Bottom