• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Leak/Rumor] Release date of The Last of Us Part 2 revealed (May 22. 2020), and information on the new Naughty Dog IP ("Stray's cross" project)

D.Final

Banned
Death Stranding has to be too.

I agree.

The list of games that will benefit from the advent of PS5, and its technology, will undoubtedly be the majority of the games that came out in 2019, together with those that will be released in 2020, such as:

Spiderman
Sekiro: shadow die twice
God of War
Kingdom Hearts 3
Devil May Cry V
Crash Team Racing nitro fueled
Death Stranding
Days Gone
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Cyberpunk 2077
Dying Light 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part 2
Marvel's Avengers
Ghost of Tsushima
etc...

And there will be games that will benefit, even more than others, from further upgrades via free patches or updates.
(or with new versions of the same games, but for PS5)
[although I still believe that, if the backward compatibility of PS5 will be perfect and complete with all PS4 games (also adding auto-upgrades for old games on the new console), I think it would be superfluous to make new versions of the old games for the new console]

D.Final

Banned
Meanwhile the theories invented on Stray's cross are already bouncing off the net.
On how it should be in development since 2016, and how it should definitely come out together with PS5........
Given that the rumor seems to be interpreted by some journalists on the internet to create further bogus and non-existent information.

Because the fact that it is the first exclusive for PS5 announced does not imply that it has to go out the same year as the console.
(moreover, it is the same rumor that tells how the work on the project is still far from completed)
Furthermore, the leak does not mention the start date of the work on the project.
(so there are those who have already started to guess when the project work started)
[when, in reality, as far as we know, work on the new IP project could also have started in 2017 or 2018, for example]

Journalists that write things like:
"the game must come out together with PS5 (or the same year)"
It already puts these "journalists" on the basis of an invented expectation.
And therefore being disappointed by an expectation (of release date) that is absolutely unrealistic.
(since nobody knows when the game could come out in the end)

Last edited:

Aggelos

Troy Baker, the actor who plays Joel said
“I can tell you this: it’s hands down the most ambitious game that Naughty Dog has ever done for sure,” “It’s far larger than I thought was going to be possible.”

For those of you out of the loop, the Ellie star seemed to suggest that the sequel will be out in February, but her co-star seemed confused by the apparent error.
“It’ll be out 31st February, that’s what [Johnson] said – people just took it out of context,” he joked. “Wow, I’m sure she got a call from Sony saying, ‘Shut up!’ She’s like, ‘Guys, it’s a f*cking joke!’”

“I think they’ve probably been smart not to tell us because we can’t slip up and say something stupid. Last time we announced, we slipped. And they don’t want to do that again. We are still cranking on it, I can tell you that much. Where it’s at in development, I have no idea. Everybody feels like it’s broken until it’s shipping, and then when it’s shipping they’re like, ‘We shipped a broken game!’ And that’s the gig of making a game.”

Uncharted star Nolan North, who was also in attendance during the interview, interjected that
“they’re not going to release it until they’re ready to release it”.

D.Final

Banned
“I think they’ve probably been smart not to tell us because we can’t slip up and say something stupid. Last time we announced, we slipped. And they don’t want to do that again. We are still cranking on it, I can tell you that much. Where it’s at in development, I have no idea. Everybody feels like it’s broken until it’s shipping, and then when it’s shipping they’re like, ‘We shipped a broken game!’ And that’s the gig of making a game.”

And this can represent, exactly, the reason and the motivation (more than valid above all) of why the game was postponed until 22 May 2020, as the recent rumor says.

And in practice, indirectly confirming this same rumor of the date of May 22, 2020.

cRgIIFv.jpg

So this represents, from my point of view, a sort of "confirmation" of this postponement for a just cause.
And that is to make the game the best possible.
And for me it's perfectly fine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And this can represent, exactly, the reason and the motivation (more than valid above all) of why the game was postponed until 22 May 2020, as the recent rumor says.

And in practice, indirectly confirming this same rumor of the date of May 22, 2020.

cRgIIFv.jpg

So this represents, from my point of view, a sort of "confirmation" of this postponement for a just cause.
And that is to make the game the best possible.
And for me it's perfectly fine.

But it's not a postponement if they never released a date in the first place.

Aggelos

Ya he's right.
What postponement are we discussing here?
As long as there's no official announcement/promise of a release date yet, it's illogical to be talking about postponement and delay.
Had there been an official announcement by Naughty Dog that the game would be coming in 2019, but somewhere in the process things had changed a bit with a new announcement overriding the old one, then we would have been talking about postponements and delays.
But now, everything is as it should.

Nero_PR

Banned
This game is in development since 2014.
That's 6 years.
Until it doesn't release this year, it WILL RELEASE THIS YEAR.
It feels almost like Anthem development cycle. But here at least I'm at ease since Naughty Dog knows what are the games they are doing :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

D.Final

Banned

I was referring to the fact that it was an internal decision taken by the development team, and by Sony itself.
And therefore a date not communicated publicly to avoid communicating, in a preventive manner, the possible changes of idea on the final game launch window.

Ya he's right.
What postponement are we discussing here?
As long as there's no official announcement/promise of a release date yet, it's illogical to be talking about postponement and delay.
Had there been an official announcement by Naughty Dog that the game would be coming in 2019, but somewhere in the process things had changed a bit with a new announcement overriding the old one, then we would have been talking about postponements and delays.
But now, everything is as it should.

Officially, no.
But inside the Naughty Dog development team, probably yes.
It could easily have been sent back to the team even more than two if it was necessary for them, to choose a new better date for them or for Sony.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
May would be a solid release period. June or July would be fine as well. This fall through April are pretty stacked with big releases and it's always better to release in a month when you have the spotlight for a huge budget game like this. It worked out very well for the first game.

D.Final

Banned
May would be a solid release period. June or July would be fine as well. This fall through April are pretty stacked with big releases and it's always better to release in a month when you have the spotlight for a huge budget game like this. It worked out very well for the first game.

I completely agree.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So if TLOU Part II has a lot of open world aspects, are people going to still use the walking simulator narrative?

D.Final

Banned
So if TLOU Part II has a lot of open world aspects, are people going to still use the walking simulator narrative?

I suppose it will be an evolution similar to that between Uncharted 3 with the last Uncharted 4 (and The Lost Legacy), probably.
And therefore with a narrative that is always very linear, but with much larger and wider explorable areas.

But unfortunately if the people will complain, it will always complain for a things or another.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's one of the weirdest complaints I've ever heard of in my life. TLOU is a 20 hour game with a million different gameplay segments. And MGS5 just being a Kojima movie. That's the number 2 weirdest thing people have said this generation.

Top Bottom