• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

I think the red wind indicated that he was doing a heavy attack. I think AC3 is the game that started using a more noticeable effect for sword swings.

Oh yeah I'm figure the same thing that its use to for a more powerful attack. So it has been in previous AC games? I've never notice such a thing.

Kade

During the controlled demos and feature/change rundowns I thought "Damn, they know what sucked about Assassin's Creed gameplay and are making some nice changes". After watching this I'm thinking "Damn, they really didn't change much".

The pop-in is pretty immersion breaking, if they knew it was going to perform like this why did they push so many NPCs on screen?
That's a good question.

Outside of the pop-in it does look pretty nice, though combat looks clunky, both in action and performance, unless that was just the stream.

Avixph

The lighting is too bright and I feel it needs to be toned done a bit because almost making me want to put on the sunglasses.

looks good except for that crowd pop in.

There must be a better way to handle it than that. It looks hilariously bad and tremendously distracting.

I almost think i'd rather have had smaller crowds than that mess of shifting shapes that happened there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh yeah I'm figure the same thing that its use to for a more powerful attack. So it has been in previous AC games? I've never notice such a thing.
The effect is in AC3 and AC4, although they don't have heavy attacks.

didn't they say they were getting rid of hay crates or am i crazy?
They didn't say that they were getting rid of them completely, just that they will no longer be the only viable option for getting down from buildings without taking damage thanks to the new controlled descent mechanic.

Apathy

I will agree that the pop in was kinda noticeable in the crowds. Also yeah, combat does not look good, but I think we feel kinda spoiled with Shadows of Mordor essentially bringing in Arkhams combat into an Assassin's Creed style game.

Fbh

Graphically it doesn't look all that much different from the demos they have been showing over the months.

Clearly not as big of a downgrade as watchdogs.

But the pop-in is absolutely terrible. A crowd half as big as the one in this video but without detail pop-in as you get closer would be just as impressive and far more immersive

Kikujiro

I don't understand what's so great about the crowd, yes there are a lot of people, but they are still completely non interactive and still too unrealistic with all the pop-in, what does such a large and useless crowd add to the game?
The gameplay looks like the same as always.

allftw

Neo Member
Other than the massive pop-in on npcs it looks pretty great to me. Glad that it is not as blurry as the screens showed. I can deal with the pop-in.

That artificial 900p still says no deal. Sorry Ubisoft, I really liked you once, but when you started to act like a jerk, I'm now perfectly sure about our breakup. I will meet you when you make some of those awesome UbiArt Framework games, but apart from that I'll be seeing someone else. You're now officially dumped just like EA before you. Bye-bye. I won't miss you.

I will agree that the pop in was kinda noticeable in the crowds. Also yeah, combat does not look good, but I think we feel kinda spoiled with Shadows of Mordor essentially bringing in Arkhams combat into an Assassin's Creed style game.

WB putting Mordor out first was a brilliant move.

I feel this game will get compared to Mordor in a lot of reviews and not be found favorably in the comparison. It doesn't do anything much new like mordor does and the combat looks like a step backwards.

I think if mordor was next year this game gets 9s, with mordor out it's going to be 8s.

Scale is very impressive, but it's the same old boring combat. Hopefully, the other components of the game make up for that aspect like in Black Flag.

Apathy

I don't understand what's so great about the crowd, yes there are a lot of people, but they are still completely non interactive and still too unrealistic with all the pop-in, what does such a large and useless crowd add to the game?

Yeah, no idea why the extra emphasis was put on NPC that you never interact with. Plus they still seem "dumb". Still annoys me that you can fall from a high distance into a bushel of hay and not die, then jump out and the guy that was watching the hay does not even notice you and you proceed to climb up the side of a building and no one is calling you a crazy person.Mind you these last bits are my hangups on the AC games since forever not specifically cause of Unity

Okay, I've not exactly religiously kept up with every spec of detail with this game, but I distinctly remember from E3 something about controlled descent. Is that still a major feature here, because I'm still seeing the ol' leap of faith into carts of hay move?

What exactly has changed with the parkour?

Jobbs

Banned
visually it looks terrific. Lighting, animation, scale, it's really impressive. sad anyone complains about how a game looks when this is how it looks. I say this as a frequent Ubisoft/AC detractor who has no plans of ever buying another AAA Ubisoft game.

Vidpixel

Pop-in aside, it looks pretty fantastic to me. Those animations all look great as well. However, my first order of business when I boot the game up: remove all those unnecessary H.U.D. components.

ttech10

Looks amazing, cant understand the complaints from all the whiners

Then you have issues. I don't agree with with all the complaints, but I understand them. Mainly because I can accept people have opinions and preferences.

To say that people who don't like the pop-in are whining and you can't understand why people don't like obvious pop-in is pretty foolish.

The texture loading is equally as distracting, as it has the appearance of people popping up on screen just feet away from the character. I know it's not a popular choice but I might still get this game, and I really hope it isn't as noticeable while playing it as it is watching it.

Crossing Eden

I feel like the world would look unbelievably empty without the npcs. And it looks satisfying to see npcs running away because I decided to start a fight or to run away and slip into a huge crowd. Or seeing them riot in front of a church instead of like before with only a few doing so.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The game actually does look pretty good outside of the pop in and clipping, the only thing is after playing Mordor I really wish they would have taken a combat cue from Monolith.

Red Comet

Yes, the pop in was a bit jarring, but other than that I'm pretty impressed. The parkour and the animations look incredible. I can't wait to play this for myself.

stormplyr

Well the video certainly seems nicer than those screenshots. I wouldn't say it looks beautiful but it looks good. I'm sure it will look even better on my tv. the scale of the city though is fantastic.

Edit: I think that with how bright the lighting is in the video washes away some of the detail as well.

ISee

That's a good conspiracy theory that would be more valid if the videos didn't have some massive framerate drops at some points. If they really wanted to show the best gameplay possible they most likely wouldn't include that kinda footage.

The gameplay parts are to well crafted to be random recordings. I stand by my point, this is only Ubisoft PR and in no way does it represent the final product. It's like the Far Cry 3 Bullshots, the Watch Dogs downgrade, the 30 vs 60 fps lies, the parity lies.

Maybe you think I am a mindless hater, but to be honest I am just disappointed. I bought all AC games day one (ok I did not buy the Vita or the Ipad game). I even liked them all, yes even AC3. But now I am just disappointed that Ubisoft lied, is lying and there seems to be no end to their lies in the future. I was planing to get this on PC, even bought a gtx 970 for this, but no more. I know this is not going to affect the sells in any way or bring Ubisoft in trouble. I am just voteing the only way I can, with my wallet.

jett

D-Member
Wow that crowd pop-in is just a mess. Maybe they shouldn't have attempted something that their engine clearly can't handle.

Tagg9

Actually the gameplay looks pretty solid to me. The worst part was the clipping and weird pop-in quirks when going through a large crowd. Otherwise, textures and lighting look much improved.

RexNovis

Banned
That certainly looks a hell of a lot better than those leaked screenshots that were posted yesterday. Still nowhere close to being as advertised though. C'est la vie!

Shin-Ra

The funniest thing was throwing a smoke bomb which disabled an enemy from guarding and it still took a lot of sword hits to take him down.

pop is obviously due to the share function not working properly.
Crossing Eden will blame the pop in on the share button compression somehow.
uf5bu.gif

visually it looks terrific. Lighting, animation, scale, it's really impressive. sad anyone complains about how a game looks when this is how it looks. I say this as a frequent Ubisoft/AC detractor who has no plans of ever buying another AAA Ubisoft game.
Yeah, how could you complain about a game's image quality when it looks so incredibly blurry in that blurry video.

Crossing Eden

The gameplay parts are to well crafted to be random recordings. I stand by my point, this is only Ubisoft PR and in no way does it represent the final product. It's like the Far Cry 3 Bullshots, the Watch Dogs downgrade, the 30 vs 60 fps lies, the parity lies.
Yea, because it's broll footage. As in random clips of gameplay.Which is why it's edited together like that. It's the same demo that all of the journalist played for a couple of hours one month ago on the xb1 that they wrote their articles about. Sorry but there's really no evidence to the contrary besides "it looks too good to be xb1." And no I don't consider you to be a mindless hater.

AngryMoth

Doesn't live up to the reveal footage but I think it looks impressive. Though I'm not usually a big stickler for IQ which is what some people seem upset over.

I'm a bit worried about all of those wide streets though. I was hoping this would be a return to more smooth, continuous rooftop traversal that was present in the series prior to 3.

Yibby

I'm a bit worried about all of those wide streets though. I was hoping this would be a return to more smooth, continuous rooftop traversal that was present in the series prior to 3.

I think that's a design decision based on their new NPC behaviors. They said that NPCs do have many different behaviors and events can occur at every corner. So when you are constantly on the rooftops you will miss a lot.

Top Bottom