• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Marketing Agreement for RE8 Forces Parity and Blocks the Game From GamePass

The title is misleading, they didn’t make a deal to stop it from going to Gamepass. That implies that they were intending to launch it on Gamepass and Sony swooped in with a deal to stop it.

Sony has a marketing deal with Capcom for RE Village. As part of that marketing deal, understandably, they don’t want the game going on a competitor’s subscription service as a free title for existing subscribers, as that wouldn’t be much of a “marketing deal” for PS.

Nothing unusual about this, in fact I’m sure that big Gamepass titles like Outriders have a clause where they can’t go on any other subscription service etc for a minimum period, as MS paid for that deal for publicity.

SLB1904

Banned
Why is that people take tweets from random people on the internet as statements of fact?

Wake me up when there's more concrete information.
giphy.gif

Krizalidx11

Banned
The title is misleading, they didn’t make a deal to stop it from going to Gamepass. That implies that they were intending to launch it on Gamepass and Sony swooped in with a deal to stop it.

Sony has a marketing deal with Capcom for RE Village. As part of that marketing deal, understandably, they don’t want the game going on a competitor’s subscription service as a free title for existing subscribers, as that wouldn’t be much of a “marketing deal” for PS.

Nothing unusual about this, in fact I’m sure that big Gamepass titles like Outriders have a clause where they can’t go on any other subscription service etc for a minimum period, as MS paid for that deal for publicity.

Sony is doing a lot to stop the GAMEPASS train, it doesn't seem to work after all

Entroyp

And MLB is on gamepass. Jesus people. Capcom just want to make money to keep making games these games. RE is not a deadbeat franchise that needs MS handout money.

Last edited:

Evil Sony blocking companies from making money again

So uh, they did this with RE Village, but not their OWN FUC'ING BASEBALL GAME FROM THEIR OWN 1P STUDIO? Major whoops if true.

Just how credible is this Twitter person, btw?

But this makes no sense; they somehow "remembered" to do this with RE Village, but forgot to do it with their own in-house MLB The Show '21?

The nature of them having such a specific clause for Capcom would seem reactionary to finding out about the MLB GamePass situation, because I can't see them locking it down for RE Village in advance but somehow failing to do it with their own game. If it's down to the fact they have to release The Show on other platforms at all, well...technically RE Village is coming to other competitor platforms too and it's not even a game they're developing, merely co-marketing on.

When you break it down logically the Twitter "leak" honestly doesn't make any sense, so my BS switch is set to ON for this one.

So uh, they did this with RE Village, but not their OWN FUC'ING BASEBALL GAME FROM THEIR OWN 1P STUDIO? Major whoops if true.

Just how credible is this Twitter person, btw?

But this makes no sense; they somehow "remembered" to do this with RE Village, but forgot to do it with their own in-house MLB The Show '21?

The nature of them having such a specific clause for Capcom would seem reactionary to finding out about the MLB GamePass situation, because I can't see them locking it down for RE Village in advance but somehow failing to do it with their own game. If it's down to the fact they have to release The Show on other platforms at all, well...technically RE Village is coming to other competitor platforms too and it's not even a game they're developing, merely co-marketing on.

When you break it down logically the Twitter "leak" honestly doesn't make any sense, so my BS switch is set to ON for this one.
They can’t make deals for MLB The Show, they’re the developer but MLB is the publisher on Xbox and the IP owner. MLB holds the rights to any negotiations with Xbox and while Sony will get a portion of the GP money, they likely weren’t in a position to veto the deal without having the rights to the IP revoked.

There is nothing reactionary here, this is standard legal documentation in every single exclusive marketing agreement in every company on the planet.

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
Y’all can still buy it right? I can’t say the same about starfield on Ps5. I think your rental service has you a little spoiled. Why don’t you support the developers and buy their games?

Starfield will likely be on Gamepass day 1 which is awesome, PS triple A exclusives will go on full 70$ for base games without seasons/DLC stuff day1

I mean you have to hand it to MS, that is a sweet deal, also on PC day 1

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks like a pretty normal temporary exclusivity/marketing deal? Fanboys sure meltdown for very little nowadays.

You can't make a deal with a publisher that doesn't want to make a deal. Capcom was ok with it, MLB was not. What part of it is hard to understand again?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Evil Sony blocking companies from making money again

Blocking companies?

How are they blocking companies from making money when Capcom agreed to do a deal with Sony? If Capcom believed they would make more money, then they wouldn't bother signing an exclusive deal with Sony.

"For a period of one (1) year after the release of the Game on PS Platforms ("Exclusive Negotiation Window"), the SIE Affiliates shall have the exclusive right of first negotiation and last match to include the Game within PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now and Any similar subscription service offered by SIE Affiliates on PS Platforms ("PS Subscription Service").

It doesn't say they're blocked from releasing the game on Game Pass, neither does it say they had any intention of releasing the game day one on Game Pass.

It says Sony signed one year agreement with Capcom and they have the right to first negotiate with them if they want to bring the game to PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now. MS likely made similar deals with other companies.

Sony likely has a similar agreement with Bethesda on Ghostwire and Deathloop. The reason it may not work out for them the way it will with Capcom is likely due to the fact that the contract clearly says any "third party" to "publisher" (publisher being capcom/bethesda).

Microsoft and Xbox are quite clearly no longer any kind of third party to Bethesda. They own Bethesda. Bethesda is Xbox, Bethesda is Microsoft. So while those two games can't touch Xbox consoles, and thus can't touch Game Pass on consoles for up to year after Playstation 5 release, this means nothing for Game Pass on PC since the game isn't restricted from PC release for a year, and will also hit PC simultaneously. Because Sony's clause didn't include more than just third parties.

They can't authorize any third party to include the game in any competitive subscription service that is competitive with any PS Subscription service. The fact that Game Pass and Microsoft are later mentioned in the same clause is made irrelevant by the fact that Microsoft is no longer "any third party." They are Bethesda's owner.

dcmk7

Banned
Blocking companies?

How are they blocking companies from making money when Capcom agreed to do a deal with Sony? If Capcom believed they would make more money, then they wouldn't bother signing an exclusive deal with Sony.

This. No one seems to get this, it's like such simple logic is too much for them to handle.

If people want to blame someone for this, they would be better off blaming Capcom for entering into this agreement, they chose to do this.

Sony didn't force them to do anything.

Y’all can still buy it right? I can’t say the same about starfield on Ps5. I think your rental service has you a little spoiled. Why don’t you support the developers and buy their games?

If Sony didn't want Xbox gamers having it they shoulda just bought Capcom or paid more money to keep it off Xbox. Also, we are still supporting developers when we play their game on Game Pass because a deal was made to get their game onto Game Pass. As for Microsoft first party games, they have no issue with everybody who wants to play the games playing them via game pass. It's what they want.

Top Bottom