• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Nintendo Documents show the company privately investigated homebrew developers, surveilled their home and intimidated them

Pallas

Actual picture of a Nintendo Spy trying to capture his target:
LsRuKg2.jpg

Kind of looks like Ron Jeremy.

Barakov

Gold Member
Nintendo are starting to sound and look like the mafia...
Ninkuza
Yatendo
Well, Yamuchi looked like a straight up gangster, so I'm not surprised. You don't take a card-making company that had been active solely in Japan into a multibillion-dollar video game publisher and global conglomerate by being a nice guy.

He was definitely using some yakuza-business strats. Also, it takes Jupiter size balls to tell off Microsoft the way he did.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So Nintendo is putting "Nintendo" in very compromising files in plain english?

Sure, sounds legit totally legit, not suspect at all...

Bu even if it's true, as long as they keep it under the legal markup, I don't see how it's a "bad" thing if it's to protect their business (of which depend thousands of working people), unless they literally send hitmen to hackers houses (or actual ninjas).

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well, Yamuchi looked like a straight up gangster, so I'm not surprised. You don't take a card-making company that had been active solely in Japan into a multibillion-dollar video game publisher and global conglomerate by being a nice guy.

He was definitely using some yakuza-business strats. Also, it takes Jupiter size balls to tell off Microsoft the way he did.
Kimishima also looked like straight out of a Yakuza movie.

Tatsumi-Kimishima.png

Orpheum

their lawyers have to do something. they have to protect their IP. companies all over the world do this shit, is Nintendo supposed to not because they have a friendly image?

frankly, it's getting old hearing people complain about this shit. if you are doing a homebrew Nintendo thing, you know how they are by now. either have your shit locked up or STFU.

the guy who made Another Metroid 2 Remake finished the thing before dropping it. that's how you do it. a lot of these other people have years-long projects and are fundraising over it. that's.... that's not how you do it!

also LOL:

rEmtFlK.jpg

ilc1FGT.jpg

These paragraphs are evidence enough that this is true

clearly Nintendo was totally wrong in trying to reach out to this very talented engineer and offer him some kind of financial agreement rather than go straight to criminal proceedings. they should have left him alone and let him continue hacking items that they currently were selling.

that's the funny thing about all this. they were probably trying to hire this guy, who was a super engineer with a high profile in the Nintendo hacking scene. yet these Tweets are painting the narrative that they are "intimidating" him. lol.

im not sure if anyone knows this, but in big business, if they get hacked, usually they like to work with the hackers, hire them on, or failing that, get some kind of knowledge out of them. it's kind of a common thing.
We're talking about Nintendo, man! They're the guys selling a non oled shitty 720p screen in 2020 and in a few days 2021. Yep!

brian0057

Banned
Nintendo is the most gangta entity in the world.
You don't last over 120 years as a company without having some shady shit to protect you.
Now those love hotels they used to own (or maybe they still own, I don't know) make a lot more sense.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It's creepy, but when your hobby involves potentially costing a giant corp billions, they are going to take action.
Counter-point: Console hacking *makes* corporations money. The PSP was a commercial failure...until it got hacked to buggery and everyone started buying it for that reason alone.

TriSuit666

Banned
That stuff reads like it was put together by some goofball with an agenda and time on their hands. I doubt the veracity of those "documents" very much.

There are pictures of the lad who was recently jailed in the US for stealing Nintendo Switch devkits with him and said devkits and also the weird looking prototype.

I feel if you've been around the Switch 'modding' scene for any length of time you've already seen these documents and photos.

I don't know if it was mentioned but there was also a smaller tranch of leaks with these documents, including the cryptographic sources for the Switch cartridge slot, which opens up the slot for modding.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I keep telling you the firm I worked for in the 90’s was raided by the fucking Police on Nintendo UK’s orders.

And they used children to gather the evidence.

So yes, I can believe all this shit. Fuck Nintendo, they’re not your friend.
Hackers are? They are the reason so many PSP games were canceled.

TriSuit666

Banned
Hackers are? They are the reason so many PSP games were canceled.

Nah, I mean I need to preface it with the proprieter of the firm was importing grey warez through Hong Kong, so that's probably why we got raided. :D

You do realise hackers have helped move the computing industry on in many ways - 60fps mods on Switch games being one example.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Counter-point: Console hacking *makes* corporations money. The PSP was a commercial failure...until it got hacked to buggery and everyone started buying it for that reason alone.
Well.. that's some version of history I guess?

PSP sales were terrible compared to expectations, and software sales continued to go down every year despite the userbase growing. Sony had several straight years of financial losses in that era, and were in general doing terribly.. partly due to the PSPs failure.

Sony's business model in general was to lose money on hardware and profit on software. So a hacked device that everyone was just buying to pirate/use for other reasons than buying games was a worst case scenario for them.

TriSuit666

Banned

PSP sales were terrible compared to expectations, and software sales continued to go down every year despite the userbase growing. Sony had several straight years of financial losses in that era, and were in general doing terribly.. partly due to the PSPs failure.

Sony's business model in general was to lose money on hardware and profit on software. So a hacked device that everyone was just buying to pirate/use for other reasons than buying games was a worst case scenario for them.

Ironically, I know of someone who's made it their mission to buy all of the PSP and Vita collections (including all the Japanese only obscure stuff), and must be spending upwards of a couple of thousand dollars a month on boxed games.

Nintendo has always been pretty hard on unofficial stuff, even YouTubers face some restrictions on presenting their games (ot could have changed). So them going after people, in person, for doing homebrew... Doesn't seem far fetched.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That’s the thing, nothing seemed like intimidation to me. Also, anyone surprised by this does not know the internal workings of large businesses.

Before anything came out “no Nintendo would not do this, you are paranoid” and after it comes out “well do not be daft and naive of course they did that, just like any other large corporation”.

That kind of approach was meant to intimidate and impose fear (few are so thick not to fear a lawsuit from such an aggressive corporation, but if caught in the act there is enough for a restraining order or two...). Intimidation is not just roughing people up like gangster movies and anything beyond physical pain meaning it does not count shows a bit of a “well it was not happening to me so how bad can it be?” IMHO.

Last edited:

Which is why Sony made so many hardware revisions and supported it for something like 10 years, because they were losing so much money. That was their strategy on the PS3, it was not their strategy with the PSP. While the PS3 was hemorrhaging money the PS2 and PSP were both making a profit for Sony. In fact PlayStation as a whole was, for a long time, the only division turning a profit.

DESTROYA

I don't disagree, but just because it's normal doesn't mean it isn't true.
And what if it is ? They are just trying to protect their Intellectual property like all major corporations do.
People make it sound like Nintendo is the only company to ever do this.

Before anything came out “no Nintendo would not do this, you are paranoid” and after it comes out “well do not be daft and naive of course they did that, just like any other large corporation”.

That kind of approach was meant to intimidate and impose fear (few are so thick not to fear a lawsuit from such an aggressive corporation, but if caught in the act there is enough for a restraining order or two...). Intimidation is not just roughing people up like gangster movies and anything beyond physical pain meaning it does not count shows a bit of a “well it was not happening to me so how bad can it be?” IMHO.

I would never doubt this. Companies have every right to protect their assets. You don’t think companies from Coca Cola to Microsoft to Johnson & Johnson wouldn’t threaten lawsuits. This stuff happens all of the time. I see the lawsuits in my job. You’re making this an emotional issue, which it is not.
I don't disagree, but just because it's normal doesn't mean it isn't true.

I agree with you. I believe the accusations and find no issue with what they are doing.

I'm surprised by some of the responses here. No one thinks Nintendo should just roll over and ignore threats to their IP, but civilized societies in theory have institutions to deal with this. By all means, send a cease and desist letter and sue, but staking out their house, spying on their families, and confronting them in person? Pure gangsterism.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Which is why Sony made so many hardware revisions and supported it for something like 10 years, because they were losing so much money. That was their strategy on the PS3, it was not their strategy with the PSP. While the PS3 was hemorrhaging money the PS2 and PSP were both making a profit for Sony. In fact PlayStation as a whole was, for a long time, the only division turning a profit.

It was successful in Japan. Sony then tried their best to make their handled successful outside of that and failed. I didn't say it lost them money, I said it was not anywhere near Sony's expectations. Vita of course was just a resounding flop.

Either way, the idea that hacking actually helps a platform designed to sell games is just nonsense.

I'm surprised by some of the responses here. No one thinks Nintendo should just roll over and ignore threats to their IP, but civilized societies in theory have institutions to deal with this. By all means, send a cease and desist letter and sue, but staking out their house, spying on their families, and confronting them in person? Pure gangsterism.

You’ve seen nothing. I worked as a collections agent during college. You’d be shocked at some of the files that I read. It’s like a movie.

Top Bottom