• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

GYODX

大辞林 still the recommended J-J dictionary app?

I use 大辞林, 大辞泉 and 広辞苑 interchangeably lol. There's no reason not to use all three (and a couple of others for good measure). 広辞苑 is definitely the most prestigious, but I find it is sparse on details a lot of the time.

Kotobank
has both 大辞泉 and 大辞林. Be sure to set it to 「で一致する」

who makes the app? East Co. Ltd?

There are a couple different ones. The really nice one is made by Monokakido.

I use 大辞林, 大辞泉 and 広辞苑 interchangeably lol. There's no reason not to use all three (and a couple of others for good measure). 広辞苑 is definitely the most prestigious, but I find it is sparse on details a lot of the time.

Kotobank
has both 大辞泉 and 大辞林. Be sure to set it to 「で一致する」

Talking about offline dictionary apps on phones. All of those exist as applications, but they can be quite expensive, particularly the 広辞苑 which was more than 80 bucks last I checked.

Kotobank is definitely great if you're able to use internet and put up with load times.

実は、日本語勉強することがない

EDIT: Well shit I think I forgot to add an adverb. OH WELL

Anyways, I'm trying to decide on a way of studying grammar since I want to get started right now now that school's grinding down. I think I'll just grab a list and start grinding for now.

GYODX

じゃあ、みなさん

楽しいチャレンジがあります。 の曲名を英語に訳してみましょう~♪

何らの苦しみにもあわずして、何人をも幸福とは「呼」ぶなかれ。

如何に強大な精神や力といえども知性なくしては「無」に等しい。

明日を最も必要としないものが、最も快く明日に立ち「向」かう。

「反復」は時間観を攪拌し、思惟の歩をゆるめ涅槃の郷愁を誘う。

いつも好転する未来を望み、しかし時節の変化は「恐」れている。

俯瞰も仰視も果ては茫洋な空に対峙す、その偉観こそ真の「現実」。

我々は希望に従って約束をし、恐怖にかられて約束を「果」たす。

言葉を用いて奏でる者は才能に在らず、ただの記憶に[過」ぎぬ。

人々が個を偉人と称する時が来れば彼は既に『傀儡』へと変わる。

夢とは現実という平凡なものに付ける美しさに似た「嘘」の俗称。

「参弐零参壱壱壱弐伍壱九参壱伍九伍弐壱七伍伍伍四壱四壱六四」

ベスト・アンサーは、大賞を、、、

もらいません。(笑)(ごめんね)

以下は、私の訳

If you have not gone through any sort hardship, you must not "call" anyone happy.

However great your mind or strength may be, without intelligence, it might as well be "nothing".

Those who don't make tomorrow their greatest priority are the ones who "face" tomorrow the most comfortably.

"Repetition" stirs your view of time and slows the pace of your thoughts, inducing a nostalgia for Nirvana.

We always wish for a better future, yet "fear" the passing of the times.

Whether you look up or down, you face a vast emptiness, and that great sight is the true "reality".

We make promises in accordance with our desires, and "fulfill" them out of fear.

Those who perform with their words are not talented; they're no "more" than a mere memory.

When people start calling someone a great person, he will change into a puppet.

Dream is a colloquialism for the beauty-like "lies" that we attach to the triteness that is reality.

"3203111251721575217555414164"

全然分からなかったら気にしないでください。こんな意味不明な曲名は、日本人でも分らないこともあるんですよ。

hey guys, gacha-pin thinks I should ask the thread

エ も
デ し
ン も
が イ
ハ ヴ
イ が
チ 最
に 初
あ に
っ 誕
た 生
と し
し
た
ら
?

this is just for my art I just want to use kanji in the questions I ask on some of my paintings - it is about the puzzle / paradox of the question and the aesthetic beauty of the written words on the painting

"What if Eve came first, and Eden was in Haiti?"

2 lines vertical to be added to a painting I am finishing up
the above is what Gacha-pin helped me with

hopefully I can add this to the painting tonight just wanted to make sure I had someone to help me with the Japanese translation

gacha-pin gave you that translation or it's yours? I'm not saying anything if it's a native speaker's suggestion.

yes that is Gacha-pin's translation

Gacha-pin said:
エ も
デ し
ン も
が イ
ハ ヴ
イ が
チ 最
に 初
あ に
っ 誕
た 生
と し
し
た
ら
?

This is the bible related? I'm not familiar with it either and I might miss the point.

Reversed

What are your suggestions to face the jinmeiyou kanji? I plan to study with an anki related deck plus writing, 'cause that's with works with me in regards to kanji memorization.

urfe

Bringing up Haiti with Eve and Eden seems really weird without context, but perhaps makes perfect sense with context.

I thought perhaps ハイチ could be referring to something Biblical, but a quick Google search only brings up Haiti.

hey guys, gacha-pin thinks I should ask the thread

"What if Eve came first, and Eden was in Haiti?"

I'd change it to "What if Eve was born before Adam, and Eden was in Haiti?" because as it reads now it's more like "What if Eve was born in the beginning" which is not a controversial statement.

エ も
デ し
ン も
が イ
ハ ヴ
イ が
チ ア
に ダ
あ ム
っ よ
た り
と 早
し く
た 誕
ら 生
? し

Beckx

so i found an interesting new resource yesterday. NHK has a school service app on android that delivers various levels of content. I'm still a beginner (starting Genki II) and my listening ability is not good, so i set it to the lowest grade level. now i get these little kid shows (like puppet skits of Little Red Riding Hood), which are silly but the basic japanese gives me something i can use to practice at my level.

it's sad how excited i get that i can understand "what big ears you have gramma." it's the little victories.

_Ryo_

Trying to relearn how to write ひらがな has not been going well.
2OaLKw3.jpg

rwBrNNr.jpg

oMntKEr.jpg

Yes, I know it looks abysmal. Probably a lot of mistakes as well as, I had to look up how to write at least half of these.

Worst part? It's still better than my handwriting using the English Alphabet.

Also I have a strange question why is で the only ひらがな that places .濁点 inside the かな rather than above it and to the right?

Sakura

The line on the right in ほ should not go through the top horizontal line.
Other than that it looks normal. My writing is shittier.

I'd change it to "What if Eve was born before Adam, and Eden was in Haiti?" because as it reads now it's more like "What if Eve was born in the beginning" which is not a controversial statement.

エ も
デ し
ン も
が イ
ハ ヴ
イ が
チ ア
に ダ
あ ム
っ よ
た り
と 早
し く
た 誕
ら 生
? し

ok I'll do that thanks

is created and born a different Kanji?

to say Created or Came before Adam instead of Born?

urfe

It seems more like a translation question now. 誕生 means born, but in English created can work (depending on the context/nuance).

So what is the context?

ok I'll do that thanks

If you wanted to do that you'd have to use a different verb tense and it would be rather inelegant. 創造され (can you actually truncate this particular verb form like this?) in place of 誕生し.

Hi guys!

I've been studying Japanese (with a tutor) for a little while now, and it's coming along slowly. One of the issues that I find myself facing is simply exposure and finding the time to revise what I have learnt.

One of the things that I'd like to start doing is some "background listening" whilst I'm at work. The intention of this is not to "just let it sink in" as that would never work, but to have something I can listen to in my down-time whilst I'm working (My job involves tasks that quite often have me sitting doing nothing for 2-3 minutes at a time, at many points throughout the day.)

I had a look on Youtube to see what was there, but a lot of the more visible content seemed to focus on what you might call "Tourist phrases" without really explaining the grammar etc.

Essentially, what I'd like to find is something that would be the audio-equivalent to the Genki textbooks. Does anyone know of anything or anyone who does this sort of thing, as I think being able to have something I could listen to on repeat multiple times during the day would really help.

Cheers! :)

If you wanted to do that you'd have to use a different verb tense and it would be rather inelegant. 創造され (can you actually truncate this particular verb form like this?) in place of 誕生し.

I think 創造され would work as well. Something like 「もしもイヴがアダムより先に創造され、エデンがハイチにあったとしたら?」

I do not have WiFi at home I'm at the library I'll hold off and see if we can get created or came first instead of born

I'll check back tomorrow
thanks for the help guys

I think 創造され would work as well. Something like 「もしもイヴがアダムより先に創造され、エデンがハイチにあったとしたら?」

Edit: what would this be closer to in english?

Zoe

Yes, I know it looks abysmal. Probably a lot of mistakes as well as, I had to look up how to write at least half of these.

Also I have a strange question why is で the only ひらがな that places .濁点 inside the かな rather than above it and to the right?

Your ふ is totally jacked up.

Ar you actually following handwriting guides, or are you trying to replicate computer fonts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

エ も
デ し
ン も
が イ
ハ ヴ
イ が
チ ア
に ダ
あ ム
っ よ
た り
と 早
し く
た 誕
ら 生
? し

最初に can mean "first" (as in "before something else") and it's not restricted to describing "in the beginning." Anyone who knows the Adam and Eve story would understand Gacha-pin's version as Smiles intended. Personally, I'd go with that.

Resilient

why you double jacking your う and why is your ふ so insane?

im fucking with you. or am i? but for real, ditch whatever you are doing right now and start doing the Listening guide. your writing will improve tenfold in 2 weeks and you'll be able to transcribe too.

最初に can mean "first" (as in "before something else") and it's not restricted to describing "in the beginning." Anyone who knows the Adam and Eve story would understand Gacha-pin's version as Smiles intended. Personally, I'd go with that.

oh good since I already added gacha-pin's translation to that art https://youtu.be/UzzVtUz_7Uo yesterday so I was waiting for more feedback before I had to cover it up

at my god-sister's this weekend she has WiFi so I'll check later

"What if Eve was created before Adam, and Eden was in Haiti?" is literally what it would be if translated into English.

Of course you can go with what you had originally.

I was just going off of what that spork dude was suggesting.

thanks to both of you for the help

I do I have other puzzle paintings planned with questions I hope to get help with this summer hope you guys do not mind if I drop by the thread

_Ryo_

Your ふ is totally jacked up.

Ar you actually following handwriting guides, or are you trying to replicate computer fonts?

About half from memory and half with a stroke order/handwriting guide from the Obenkyo Android app

why you double jacking your う and why is your ふ so insane?

im fucking with you. or am i? but for real, ditch whatever you are doing right now and start doing the Listening guide. your writing will improve tenfold in 2 weeks and you'll be able to transcribe too.

Listening will help me write properly? Is listening still a good way even if you dont understand whata being said? Lol

Btw, can you two please point me to better guides for fu, and u?

(On someone elses phone, cant type kana currently.)

Resilient

About half from memory and half with a stroke order/handwriting guide from the Obenkyo Android app

Listening will help me write properly? Is listening still a good way even if you dont understand whata being said? Lol

Btw, can you two please point me to better guides for fu, and u?

(On someone elses phone, cant type kana currently.)

ohhh expert hasn't linked the listening method yet. well, listening won't directly help your writing. but, the method of study will. and yes, it's still a good way if you follow the method (i.e. look up everything you don't know). it's not super fun at the start but it's rewarding as hell down the line.

and, in case you can't see the benefit it will have for your writing: the method requires you to write down everything you don't know on first listen - so naturally your handwriting will become 1. better and 2. natural (actually writing Japanese sentences rather than just a, b, c, d, e, f etc).

Resilient

Hey I'm an expert - i think you're in the middle of moving, but when you get the time, drop your Speaking study method on us. if there was anything you did besides..practicing speaking by speaking to people.

When writing by hand, you can put the dots or ten-ten on the upper right corner for 「で」. It doesn't have to be "inside", but you can do that as well. It's just a personal preference thing. I've always put them at the corner.

Jintor

ohhh expert hasn't linked the listening method yet. well, listening won't directly help your writing. but, the method of study will. and yes, it's still a good way if you follow the method (i.e. look up everything you don't know). it's not super fun at the start but it's rewarding as hell down the line.

and, in case you can't see the benefit it will have for your writing: the method requires you to write down everything you don't know on first listen - so naturally your handwriting will become 1. better and 2. natural (actually writing Japanese sentences rather than just a, b, c, d, e, f etc).

Sounds exponential. I'm gonna do it.

Tabris

I'm in Tokyo from now until end of July.

Is there any 1 month intro to Japanese courses / workshops I can take for beginners in Tokyo? I could only find 3 month courses that are already full or are out of my date ranges.

ok I'll do that thanks

誕生 can be translated as "came (into existence)" or "was created" in this type of context. It doesn't refer specifically to a baby coming out of a woman, if that's what you were thinking.

GYODX

誕生 can be translated as "came (into existence)" or "was created" in this type of context. It doesn't refer specifically to a baby coming out of a woman, if that's what you were thinking.

As you said, this translation is fine in this context, but just a heads up to the OP: translating it this way implies that you could say something like (誰か)~に誕生された. This is not permissible because 誕生 can only be used intransitively. There is never an agent doing the creating. It simply means "to come into existence".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As you said, this translation is fine in this context, but just a heads up to the OP: translating it this way implies that you could say something like (誰か)~に誕生された. This is not permissible because 誕生 can only be used intransitively. There is never an agent doing the creating. It simply means "to come into existence".

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, 誕生 is not restricted to being used with intransitive verbs.

誕生させられた would be perfectly valid, for example.

GYODX

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, 誕生 is not restricted to being used with intransitive verbs.

誕生させられた would be perfectly valid, for example.

Might have been unclear. By intransitive I meant that 誕生する does not take a direct object. That is to say, something like 「神様が地球を誕生した 」is impermissible usage.

「誕生させられた」 is interesting but I didn't consider causative or causative-passive conjugations because the causative basically forces it into a transitive verb. Still, there is a subtle difference in nuance between "was made/forced to come into existence" 「誕生させられた」and "was created"「創造された」 .

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hey, guys I'm heading out tomorrow. Give me a few days to set up and I'll come through on updating the op, etc.

Kurita

Have you tried it? Won't I be lost joining a class in the middle?

That's where I was last year, stayed a month (August). It's true that it might be a bit confusing to join a class in the middle but you basically do something new everyday so... I guess you can ask for the previous lessons.
It was great. The teachers are really friendly (especially Murakami-sensei, hilarious and stunning girl), you have a different teacher everyday, so 5 in total. Classes are small and there's big emphasis on speaking. Great way to progress. They also offer activities in the afternoon. Give it a shot!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hope everything goes smoothly with the move, expert!

urfe

Hey, guys I'm heading out tomorrow. Give me a few days to set up and I'll come through on updating the op, etc.

Moving to Japan? I forget.

Work has died down, so I'm now freer to meet folks. Someone is in Yokohama, yeah? I could get a few beers on a weekday.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I'm here in Tokyo. I think I'm done with ever flying to/from NYC again. The flight just bores me to tears, especially with kids. I purposely bought my own tickets on JAL instead of having the firm pay for United and while it obviously made a huge difference in quality of life, it's still the same old shit. This is what getting old is I guess. But yes, finally back for good after delaying it forever.

Top Bottom