• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

Alanae

the words aren't really similar imo.
this is a good example of a situation where it's useful to read J>J entries or try to get a feel of the meanings through actual usage (reading/writing/etc).

some of the meanings for 割れる relevant to this case:

(1) 力が加わって固いものがいくつかに分かれ離れる。また、瞬間的な力が加わってもとの形が壊れる。「窓ガラス[風船]が─」「皿が─」「つめが─」「卵[殻]が─・れて雛ひなが顔を出す」 「▽破れる」とも。
(2) 切れ目や裂け目ができる。「大地震で道路が─」「殴打されて額が─」 「▽破れる」とも。
(3) 一つにまとまっていたものがいくつかに分かれる。分裂する。「票が─」「世論が二つに─」「選者の評価が─」
note how these all involve shattering, cracking or fragments somehow.

and some for 壊れる:

(1)(力が加えられて)物の形が損なわれる。「花瓶が粉々に─」「─・れた傘を修理する」
(2) 機械などの機能が損なわれる。「ラジオが─・れて音が出ない」
(3) ある作用が加えられて、そのものの持つ本来の特性や機能が損なわれる。破壊される。「熱を加えるとビタミン類が─」
this one is a lot more broad, including stuff like the loss of functions in a device

Hypron

man flashcards are a goddamn drag on your day off ==;;

I feel you D:

At the rate I'm going I'll keep on getting 300 cards due/day until June next year when I'll finish my big kanji deck... Once that's done I think I'll just add a card here and there but I won't go through another pre-made deck because it's starting to kill me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
man flashcards are a goddamn drag on your day off ==;;

Why do them, then? Unless you're studying for a test or something similar, I see zero reason to engage with activities or subject matter that bore you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I just don't understand what you're doing them for. There's no end of words out there.

I can understand it if you need to cram specific words for an upcoming test, or are using them to refresh yourself on Kanji or something, but just for general vocabulary? I feel like reading stuff that interests you and looking up the words your don't understand would be better.

Maybe I'm just not understanding it, but flash cards have never really made much sense to me. For me at least, they rarely go into long-term memory.

Jintor

I read, look stuff up and then add them to my cards. If I remember them later they'll delay themselves out naturally by virtue of the srs, if I don't then it's a reminder of them again which is useful.

Usage is of course the thing I remember best, but I can't 100% predict the stuff I want to read will remind me of words I already looked up, so it's a useful crutch

Tldr it works for me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh, I see! I just assumed the cards were an arbitrary list of vocabulary.

Definitely makes sense to review words you already looked up once after encountering while reading.

Jintor

Nah I'm with you, flashcards were pretty bad when it was just random lists. I only really "got it" when I started making my own decks

Decided at the last minute I'd apply for N1 after all ><

But then I discovered registration closed on the 29th and not the 30th ;.; guess I'm taking it in july lol.

I probably don't have time to study for it so I've most likely just saved myself 5000 yen or whatever ><

Aren't you a JET now? A CIR if I remember? How is it?

yeah :D In my second year now. It's crazy busy but really fun (eg. ran a kids cultural event this weekend but had to go interpret for a school visit during my lunch breaks). Applications are opening soon! Would definitely recommend, great chance to improve your Japanese.

Porcile

I probably don't have time to study for it so I've most likely just saved myself 5000 yen or whatever ><

yeah :D In my second year now. It's crazy busy but really fun (eg. ran a kids cultural event this weekend but had to go interpret for a school visit during my lunch breaks). Applications are opening soon! Would definitely recommend, great chance to improve your Japanese.

I have already have a job in Japan, but good to hear.

Hey guys..

I kinda learned japanese in a weird way.. So it's so messed up. I picked it up while i was there, but i was like 18 at the time, then went back when i was 25. So my japanese is a mix of old sland and i talk like a girl. lol.

Anyway, i was sick for like 7 years so havent been back. but finally going back in november. I'm a bit nervous that i haven't really spoken it in so long.

So yeah, i speak japanese but in a really weird slangy teenage girl way. haha.

Porcile

Hey guys..

I kinda learned japanese in a weird way.. So it's so messed up. I picked it up while i was there, but i was like 18 at the time, then went back when i was 25. So my japanese is a mix of old sland and i talk like a girl. lol.

Anyway, i was sick for like 7 years so havent been back. but finally going back in november. I'm a bit nervous that i haven't really spoken it in so long.

So yeah, i speak japanese but in a really weird slangy teenage girl way. haha.

Everyone is gonna think you are totally &#12417;&#12385;&#12419;&#21487;&#24859;&#12356;&#12376;&#12419;&#12435;.

^ lol

I just do ALT work still. It's not bad at all really. I will begin the new job search next year though, or just go back home lol.

ALT work sounds like a lot of fun (although I've heard debate is crazy) . I'm kinda sad I don't get any opportunities to visit schools or eat &#32102;&#39135;. Good luck with the job search!

Porcile

&#12521;&#12472;&#12458;&#26085;&#26412; is a really good app on the play store. Check it out. It has a podcast list and stuff. No idea if it works outside of Japan though.

Porcile

Thanks! It looks very nice, I'll have to try it out sooner or later (even though I'm not quite at a good enough level I think).

You should listen to live radio for a couple hours a day anyway. Get your brain used to hearing Japanese, even stuff you don't understand.

You should listen to live radio for a couple hours a day anyway. Get your brain used to hearing Japanese, even stuff you don't understand.
I'll probably start doing it soon-ish. Luckily it takes about an hour to go to and from University, so I can squeeze some listening in.

urfe

Thinking about words that are similar in English, but easily distinguishable in Japanese, I submit:

&#12460;&#12521;&#12473; and &#12464;&#12521;&#12473;.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Guys

What the fuck is this?

jemMCdu.jpg

Hypron

haha I did a double take when I saw that as well. From what I've read online, the tenten is there just for emphasis.

A few days ago I saw somewhere the expression [&#22899;&#24515;&#12392;&#31179;&#12398;&#31354;].

I knew what it literally meant but not metaphorically so I google searched it and found that the meaning in English is [A woman is a weathercock.]

I guess it means that a woman's desires change so easily and often as the weathercock changes direction depending on the wind every time.

I really like Japanese expressions xD.

Speaking of expressions I also really like tongue twisters.

In japanese my favourite is [&#35023;&#24237;&#12395;&#12399;&#20108;&#32701;&#12289;&#24237;&#12395;&#12399;&#20108;&#32701;&#40335;&#12364;&#12356;&#12427; ]/[Uraniwa ni wa ni wa, niwa ni wa ni wa niwatori ga iru]

I guess most people here know this one though :p

Speaking of expressions I also really like tongue twisters.

In japanese my favourite is [&#35023;&#24237;&#12395;&#12399;&#20108;&#32701;&#12289;&#24237;&#12395;&#12399;&#20108;&#32701;&#40335;&#12364;&#12356;&#12427; ]/[Uraniwa ni wa ni wa, niwa ni wa ni wa niwatori ga iru]

I guess most people here know this one though :p

Ran across that one a few months ago. Here's another in the same vein:

&#24035;&#12418;&#26691;&#12289;&#26691;&#12418;&#26691;&#12289;&#26691;&#12395;&#12418;&#12356;&#12429;&#12356;&#12429;&#12354;&#12427;&#12290;
Su mo momo, momo mo momo, momo ni mo iro iro aru
(plums are peaches, peaches are peaches, there are many kinds of peaches).

Beckx

I don't know if they've been brought up before, but the Grade Reader Sets from Kodansha are really helping me level up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JK29T2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Basically they tie to Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course. Each "chapter" introduces a new kanji (that it assumes you know) and has a lot of sentences using that kanji. Each subsequent chapter adds +1: a new kanji plus other kanji previously introduced. There are thousands of sentences overall and the +1 method is perfect for me.

It assumes you are actually learning the kanji elsewhere (namely the KLC). I'm learning on my own created flashcards (I'm a Heisig "survivor" now simply going the Joyo list in order to learn readings - 1500 down, 636 to go) and it's working fine for me.

The reason I bring it up is because it's been hard for me to find targeted, readable sentences in mass quantities with grammar explanations and translations - and that's exactly what this is. sentence after sentence after sentence.

I don't know how useful it would be if you aren't at least through Genki II level and into Tobira stuff; a lot of the sentences are simple but a lot use more advanced grammar points. The weakness of the content, as the author admits, is that since he was restricted to public domain stuff, he was forced to use a lot of older materials (like the Wizard of Oz, haha).

Highly recommended if you're in the same place I am, getting the on & kun down and looking for sentences to get constant, targeted reading practice.

Nakho

I don't know if they've been brought up before, but the Grade Reader Sets from Kodansha are really helping me level up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JK29T2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Basically they tie to Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course. Each "chapter" introduces a new kanji (that it assumes you know) and has a lot of sentences using that kanji. Each subsequent chapter adds +1: a new kanji plus other kanji previously introduced. There are thousands of sentences overall and the +1 method is perfect for me.

It assumes you are actually learning the kanji elsewhere (namely the KLC). I'm learning on my own created flashcards (I'm a Heisig "survivor" now simply going the Joyo list in order to learn readings - 1500 down, 636 to go) and it's working fine for me.

The reason I bring it up is because it's been hard for me to find targeted, readable sentences in mass quantities with grammar explanations and translations - and that's exactly what this is. sentence after sentence after sentence.

I don't know how useful it would be if you aren't at least through Genki II level and into Tobira stuff; a lot of the sentences are simple but a lot use more advanced grammar points. The weakness of the content, as the author admits, is that since he was restricted to public domain stuff, he was forced to use a lot of older materials (like the Wizard of Oz, haha).

Highly recommended if you're in the same place I am, getting the on & kun down and looking for sentences to get constant, targeted reading practice.

I saw this last week and it looks really good. I have the KLC, so this is extra perfect for me.

First 100 kanji are in a free PDF file, if anyone wants to check it out.

urfe

i was guessing it might just be straight up chinese

Yeah agree. Was unsure because looks like &#21040;&#39340; can be a name (&#12392;&#12358;&#12414;&#65311;), but that second character I can’t identify, and the picture doesn’t look Japanese to me.

KtSlime

The second character looks like it could be a very stylized &#25104;. So the first compound could be &#25104;&#21151; but written right to left.

urfe

According to google translate &#39340;&#21040;&#25104;&#21151; is Chinese and means "win instant success". I guess literally "arrive by horse and you will be the winner!" then?

thanks everyone for the help - friend was getting rid of the picture so said i would take it as it looked kinda cool, but had no idea what it said.friend didnt either lol

win instant success - sounds like a good luck kinda phrase for the house.

again cheers you guys

L Thammy

Okay, I'm putting together an anki deck manually to learn/practice vocabulary because I hate myself. Looking up all the words in Jisho first. "Honya" gives me no results for some reason so I look up bookstore.

jishoi1uyo.png

um
i can't say i've ever had that feeling

Top Bottom