• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leave me alone -- Forced multiplayer elements in typical single player scenarios

Deft Beck

I was trying out Warframe on the PS4, going through the solo missions. But, halway through one of the missions, this random player joins my instance and proceeds to mow down the rest of the enemies up to the end. Then, when I got back to my ship, they were still in my "party". I thought this was the kind of game to have strict multiplayer and single-player divides, but I guess I was wrong.

Then, there is something like the human and hollow system in the Dark Souls series. There are benefits to being human, such as the ability to summon players for assistance, but often you may be invaded by players who have no qualms about mowing you down.

I do not mind such systems most of the time. I just want to be informed about their functions and be given the option to turn it off when possible.

What do you think?

Dunkley

Most of the time I know about these things before I start playing the game (at least with Dark Souls), so I just go offline in case I want to play alone.

I agree that games like that should inform you better on their functions however.

Derpcrawler

Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.

Erheller

Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/greay scumbags suffer.

You are a monster.

Edit: Going online has its benefits and risks. It's a feature of game. Sure, if the game was single-player and you found a way to get rid of NPC invasions, I could understand. But you're ruining the game for others by DCing and lag-switching. The invaders aren't the scumbags...

DeaviL

Banned
Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.

Play another game.

GulAtiCa

Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/greay scumbags suffer.

.... That is a pretty shitty thing to do.... Are you that afraid of being invaded that you will resort to this horrible method?

Vyrance

Mass Effect 3 in the first few months required multiplayer play time in order to get the best ending in the single-player game. Was lame as hell.

Wow.

Derpcrawler

.... That is a pretty shitty thing to do.... Are you that afraid of being invaded that you will resort to this horrible method?

Not afraid, it's annoying. It's hard to play with friends as it is with no invite system what so ever, so after finally summoning friend in my game I get invaded every single time by some red cunt who lags anyway and is porting across the area. So it just easier to freeze tjem and backstab to start internal cooldown on invasions.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Jagsfan.gif

MJBarret

Neo Member
I was trying out Warframe on the PS4, going through the solo missions. But, halway through one of the missions, this random player joins my instance and proceeds to mow down the rest of the enemies up to the end. Then, when I got back to my ship, they were still in my "party". I thought this was the kind of game to have strict multiplayer and single-player divides, but I guess I was wrong.

Warframe has matchmaking options. If you don't want anyone joining just choose "solo" before starting a mission.

Triangle on the galaxy map should bring those options up.

draetenth

Most of the time I know about these things before I start playing the game (at least with Dark Souls), so I just go offline in case I want to play alone.

I agree that games like that should inform you better on their functions however.

Pretty much agree. The first thing I did playing Demon and Dark Souls was enabled Offline mode. I don't want to waste time dealing with people. Video Games are my escape from them.

Let us know if you can play completely offline or not. Also, stop spouting shit about it being more complete or better with multi player. Some of us can enjoy the games perfectly fine solo. I had no issues with either Soul game playing 100% in the offline mode.

GulAtiCa

Not afraid, it's annoying. It's hard to play with friends as it is with no invite system what so ever, so after finally summoning friend in my game I get invaded every single time by some red cunt who lags anyway and is porting across the area. So it just easier to freeze tjem and backstab to start internal cooldown on invasions.

So essentially, in a way.. You are cheating just to win... In this scenario, the red invaders aren't the "cunts".. I really hope you realize how horrible to do something like this is...

Mass Effect 3 in the first few months required multiplayer play time in order to get the best ending in the single-player game. Was lame as hell.

No, it didn't. That was one way to play. Datapad app was available on day one. I didn't touch ME3 multiplayer until long after I beat the game, and it turned out I was missing out on a lot of fun.

Orayn

The MP part in Warframe's tutorial is to drive home the point that it's Space Ninja PSO and most of the game is pretty co-op oriented. Still, I'm pretty sure there's an option to disable matchmaking entirely if you really want.

Log off forever.

No, it didn't. That was one way to play. Datapad app was available on day one. I didn't touch ME3 multiplayer until long after I beat the game, and it turned out I was missing out on a lot of fun.
Not on android it wasn't.

And it doesn't matter if there was another option. Gating an ending and achievements like that is stupid as fuck.

DR2K

Banned

You're incredibly selfish.

Derpcrawler

So essentially, in a way.. You are cheating just to win...

I have all achievements in first game on 360 and PC, as well as 100% in DS2 on PC with all zones NG7+. I never ever invade other people, but I enjoy jolly cooperation. I also want to play fun different builds and not ones countering PvP ganking cookie cutter builds, on top of ridiculous PvP lag that at least half of invaders have that most of their backstabs coming from front. If From Software want to force this shit on me - fine, but don't complain when I bend the rules.

Now that's what I call meta-gaming.

Orayn

I have all achievements in first game on 360 and PC, as well as 100% in DS2 on PC with all zones NG7+. I never ever invade other people, but I enjoy jolly cooperation. I also want to play fun different builds and not ones countering PvP ganking cookie cutter builds, on top of ridiculous PvP lag that at least half of invaders have that most of their backstabs coming from front. If From Software want to force this shit on me fine, but don't complain when I bend the rules.

Actually the solution is to stop fucking playing the game if you can't abide by the rules.

I have all achievements in first game on 360 and PC, as well as 100%on PC with all zones NG7+. I never ever invade other people, but I enjoy jolly cooperation. I also want to play fun different builds and not ones countering PvP ganking cookie cutter builds, on top of ridiculous PvP lag that at least half of invaders have that most of their backstabs coming from front. If From Software want to force this shit on me fine, but don't complain when I bend the rules.

I'm pretty sure if anyone complains that you're cheating in an online game, they're in the right.

You can't get help without accepting the risk.

Syril

Warframe has matchmaking settings that you can change (at least on the PC it does). If you set it to Solo, not only can can no one join your game, you also gain the ability to pause.

In general I don't really like invasion mechanics like in Dark Souls. I like how being hollow in that pretty much turns it single-player, but with the messages and phantoms and such still working.

RPGam3r

Invasions in Souls are an annoying distraction for me. Everytime it happens I sprint back to a bonfire and either wait or if they take to long I just kill myself. My goal is to get back to PvE as soon as possible.

Please don't say play offline, we all know Souls has cool non-PvP online functionality.

Play another game.

Yep. I'd say you're free to enjoy the game however you like insofar as you're not effecting the enjoyment of others. When you dc or otherwise cheat to defeat an invader you're effecting their enjoyment. The concept of invasions is so integral to the Souls series that you might as well play something else, or learn to play the game solo if you don't want to be invaded. It's not terribly egregious in Demon's or the first Dark Souls, but in DS2 invasion items are single-use consumables and people are wasting them trying to invade you. Honestly I think you're ascribing malice to the actions of players who are just having fun, and expect you to be having fun too. Because you're playing a game.

That's assuming you care at all - I don't think I can convince you to care. Here's just hoping the universe balances out and you get a few hackers invading you in the future

Derpcrawler

I'm pretty sure if anyone complains that you're cheating in an online game, they're in the right.

Cheating would be all upgraded weapons with all stats at 99+ with extremely low soul level, which on PC is more common than people who actually don't play cookie cutter PvP specs as red phantoms.

All I see salty redtards who are mad they can't gang people with their leet twinks. Dey hate us, cuz they ain't us.

Kenai

Well, it got hot in here, haha.

And yes, I also want absolute transparency on all multiplayer aspects of single player games, particularly PvP ones. I'm usually not in the mood for PvP when I want my single player fix so "discovering" it can be pretty goddamn annoying to the point that I'd rather not purchase said game if the dev's not gonna be up front about it. Gotta talk with my wallet.

I think invasion hate in Dark Souls is so overblown. And this is coming from someone who gets utterly wrecked by anyone who invades me. Like, the last time I won against an Invader was when he rolled off a cliff.

It sets you back on losing your humanity but I always just tend to fight invaders in areas I know I can easily get my souls back in.

Resorting to cheating though, god damn. That's messed up.

GulAtiCa

I have all achievements in first game on 360 and PC, as well as 100% in DS2 on PC with all zones NG7+. I never ever invade other people, but I enjoy jolly cooperation. I also want to play fun different builds and not ones countering PvP ganking cookie cutter builds, on top of ridiculous PvP lag that at least half of invaders have that most of their backstabs coming from front. If From Software want to force this shit on me - fine, but don't complain when I bend the rules.

You are a horrible player to resort to cheating like that... This is a pathetic thing to do honestly. I really hope you realize how wrong it is to do something like that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Is this..... sarcasm? I think it is.

Invasions in Souls are an annoying distraction for me. Everytime it happens I sprint back to a bonfire and either wait or if they take to long I just kill myself. My goal is to get back to PvE as soon as possible.

Please don't say play offline, we all know Souls has cool non-PvP online functionality.

Serious question, why not try to win? The rush from killing an invader, especially an equally-skilled one, is at least equal to an intense boss fight.

Cheating would be all upgraded weapons with all stats at 99+ with extremely low soul level, which on PC is more common than people who actually don't play cookie cutter PvP specs as red phantoms.

Yes, that would be cheating. What you're doing is also cheating.

SerTapTap

This weirded me out the first time I saw it in the Destiny alpha. I died so I left the game alone for a bit, when I came back someone was reviving me and shooting was happening and bleh. The Souls style thing is a huge turn off too, I kinda want Bloodborne but I don't want to have to disable the internet connection every time I play it. Unless it's actually integral to the gameplay, which it is SO NOT in Destiny, I would vastly prefer a toggle for crap like this. If I am playing a single player game I probably do not want the stress of someone depending on me or trying to kill me.

Have to agree with the invasion shit in Dark Souls 1. Could've been fixed by adding a co-op specific covenant if you wanted to opt out of PvP and just enjoy doing area runs and boss fights with your buds, but instead you get over-specced, over-geared twinks coming in, one or two shotting you, resetting your co-op session as you and your friend have to reverse hollowing and start all over again from the bonfire. Only came across 3 even fights over the course of the last co-op playthrough I did with a friend, the rest were one hit kill nightmares, got to a point where we prepared ourselves to go back to the beginning of the area each time somebody invaded..

Having to spec yourself out in a certain way in order to survive against twink invaders in case they invade your co-op session just so you can play co-op with minimal setbacks is a sign of lazy matchmaking, and lazy game design.

MikeyB

I have Dark Souls but have never started playing it because I have limited time to play and don't want to have my exploration of the game interrupted by some guy who will apparently roll all over the place, outplay me, and kill me.

I may have time to "get gud" against the game's enemies, but nowhere near enough time to beat the 13 year olds with empty afternoons.

The game was a thoughtful, but ultimately useless gift because of how they implemented multiplayer.

You know you can just play offline?

Invasions in the DS games is the best, especially if you had a crew of people with you. It's great to find that chump invading your game and wrecking their business.

Corpekata

Banned
Can't you set Warframe to private? Been a while since I played, and it was on PC, but I seem to remember it.

I mean, the game is clearly designed around multiplayer anyway so I think it's a pretty terrible example either way, but fairly certain they allow you to play totally solo.

Seriously how hard is it to run to a safe place and wait for the invader? For all you know you might deceit them and if not you died in a safe spot to recover from. My wife use to always kill herself the second she was iinvadedd because of fear of losingfearI convinced to fight back in a safe spot and she realized that not ever invader is an uber ganker.

eshwaaz

Pretty much agree. The first thing I did playing Demon and Dark Souls was enabled Offline mode. I don't want to waste time dealing with people. Video Games are my escape from them.

Let us know if you can play completely offline or not. Also, stop spouting shit about it being more complete or better with multi player. Some of us can enjoy the games perfectly fine solo. I had no issues with either Soul game playing 100% in the offline mode.
My feelings exactly. I get plenty of social interaction throughout an average work day. When I get home and start up a game, I want to be completely alone.

I have Dark Souls but have never started playing it because I have limited time to play and don't want to have my exploration of the game interrupted by some guy who will apparently roll all over the place, outplay me, and kill me.

I may have time to "get gud" against the game's enemies, but nowhere near enough time to beat the 13 year olds with empty afternoons.

The game was a thoughtful, but ultimately useless gift because of how they implemented multiplayer.

Perhaps you should actually play it and realize that its not actually as bad as you make it sound.

Derpcrawler

Have to agree with the invasion shit in Dark Souls 1. Could've been fixed by adding a co-op specific covenant if you wanted to opt out of PvP and just enjoy doing area runs and boss fights with your buds, but instead you get over-specced, over-geared twinks coming in, one or two shotting you, resetting your co-op session as you and your friend have to reverse hollowing and start all over again from the bonfire. Only came across 3 even fights over the course of the last co-op playthrough I did with a friend, was a nightmare.

Having to spec yourself out in a certain way in order to survive against twink invaders in case they invade your co-op session just so you can play co-op with minimal setbacks isn't good game design.

That's what Sunbros are supposed to be, yet they force us to PvP without even basic matchmaking checking gear levels and ping. I got people with 600ms+ latency more often than people sub 150ms.

When people invaded my game in Demon's Souls I would immediately jump down a pit to deprive them the pleasure of killing me (I'm terrible at the game). That'll show 'em.

joecanada

Warframe has matchmaking options. If you don't want anyone joining just choose "solo" before starting a mission.

Triangle on the galaxy map should bring those options up.

ya the biggest issue with warframe is the lack of actual instructions lol... i tried to jump back in and now have to do a bunch of tutorials to get my equipment options back? I just don't understand this game sometimes... I can't even view mods.

RPGam3r

Serious question, why not try to win? The rush from killing an invader, especially an equally-skilled one, is at least equal to an intense boss fight.

I'm not really in for PvP. I'm not speced for it. I'm having fun with just facing off with the environment. And I'll be honest that I get wasted way more than not, sometimes I'm not even sure how I get back stabbed, or if I can even damage my opponent... It only takes a couple bad experiences to make me not care.

Brashnir

Get used to it. I suspect that in the coming years, it will be used more and more as an excuse to include an "always online" connection requirement in games.

Top Bottom