• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead PS3 appearing on several retail websites

In the aftermath of controversy surrounding a port of Valve's Left 4 Dead for the PlayStation 3, several of the UK's leading gaming retail sites - Play, Gameplay, and Game have listed Left 4 Dead for pre-order underneath the PS3 section, adding more fuel to the speculation that a port is imminent. However, given the noticable distaste Valve has for the PS3, we wouldn't count on it.

Stay tuned for information regarding the game.

http://www.psbeyond.com/news/Left-4-Dead-appearing-on-several-retail-websites.850.html

Play.com
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/6108466/Left-4-Dead/Product.html

Gameplay.co.uk
http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=PX0400

Game.co.uk
http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Action/FirstPersonShooter/~r335239/Left-4-Dead/?s=left+4+dead

Maybe an announcement this week at GC by EA?

FrankT

Farnack said:
I don't trust retailers. Bestbuy failed to give me a Final Fantasy 7 remake! :lol

As 8/16 comes and goes, heh.

Interesting that they have the November release date there for a game not even in production mere weeks ago. Rush time? Or Lombardi will look like a fool in the end.

StuBurns

Banned
It's likely to happen, but not any time soon.
EA said they'll port it if there is demand I think, and there will be.
PC version is the way to go though, and almost anything can run Source.

I hope they bring it out on the PS3. I won't have to pay for online play and I won't have to use my computer. I don't mind paying for online but I have a terrible computer and I'm not good with a mouse and keyboard. Please Valve bring Left 4 Dead to the PS3!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

cresto

It is probably a timed exclusive and the PS3 version will come out later. Stupid move, but figures sony would get the short end of the stick

WrikaWrek

Banned
tzp2gameknight said:
I hope they bring it out on the PS3. I won't have to pay for online play and I won't have to use my computer. I don't mind paying for online but I have a terrible computer and I'm not good with a mouse and keyboard. Please Valve bring Left 4 Dead to the PS3!

You don't pay for online play on the PC.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It'd be good to have a PS3 version, just because most of my friends have a PS3. However if not I'm getting the 360 version and playing with some gaffers or something:D

Not against this game coming out anywhere and everywhere, but since all those sites claim a november 08 release, I seriously doubt this is happening. They would have annouced something by now.

madmook

This doesn't make sense. Valve says a PS3 version is currently NOT in production, so that means either EA has a team working on it without Valve's knowledge, or retailers are just pulling this out of their asses...

madmook said:
This doesn't make sense. Valve says a PS3 version is currently NOT in production, so that means either EA has a team working on it without Valve's knowledge, or retailers are just pulling this out of their asses...

Or they all received a mass mailed updated release list with a leaked SKU/typo.

FrankT

madmook said:

Valve's IP, hmm, right. The way I see it Lombardi made those comments the first week of August or so IIRC. That would mean EA would have to start porting now with three months to finish the port, debug and produce. Eh, yea. Port is a sure thing I would say at this point timing on the other hand is another story altogether.

StuBurns

Banned
madmook said:

Or Valve lied, they aren't working on the 360 version either this time. After the Orange Box they said they would handle all future console versions of their games, they lied.

EA said it'll happen if there is demand, it'll be a critical hit if not a commercial one, and it's an easy port, the engine is already ported, and the game is hardly visually up to modern standards, there's no reason it shouldn't be running rock solid on the PS3 without massive work.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
madmook said:

OR Valve just couldn't talk about it or even Acknowledge it, people would have been complaining to them if it didn't run up to par, now people can run to EA, if thats the truth from OP>

FrankT

stuburns said:
Or Valve lied, they aren't working on the 360 version either this time. After the Orange Box they said they would handle all future console versions of their games, they lied.

EA said it'll happen if there is demand, it'll be a critical hit if not a commercial one, and it's an easy port, the engine is already ported, and the game is hardly visually up to modern standards, there's no reason it shouldn't be running rock solid on the PS3 without massive work.

They say that before or after because I'm pretty sure they are on record of saying they were not going to port Left 4 Dead PS3, but if EA wants to, so be it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
This would be an instant purchase for me on either of the other two platforms. I really hope they nail the port this time around because I would really really love to play it

StuBurns

Banned
Jtyettis said:
They say that before or after because I'm pretty sure they are on record of saying they were not going to port Left 4 Dead PS3, but if EA wants to, so be it.

They aren't even porting the 360 version, that was my point.
Valve's distaste towards the PS3 is well known, I wouldn't expect them working on it. To be fair, they only have a certain amount of staff, and shouldn't have to worry about porting games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A port would be unsurprising. A release this year would be, a bit.

I'm guessing retailers have got wind of a PS3 version, and for now are just assuming it's coming with the other versions (probably incorrectly).

dLMN8R

There is no PS3 version in development. Retailers flailing around pretending it's true doesn't change anything.

Rolf NB

The engine is still not "officially" multiplatform, right? As in, each Source-engine game needs to be ported individually?
I'd like me some Dark Messiah eventually.

borsdy

Banned
Blablurn said:
Yeah, one more reason not to buy xbox live if true.
smiley.jpg

bcn-ron said:
The engine is still not "officially" multiplatform, right? As in, each Source-engine game needs to be ported individually?
I'd like me some Dark Messiah eventually.

Unless it was a really shoddy coding job with lots of specific non-reusable code I would think the PS3 orange box code could be used as a good basis for all these source games.

Paracelsus

How was TF online on PS3?

Whether they port it or not, this games seems heavily online-based, and an half-assed work would be pointless.

StuBurns

Banned
Paracelsus said:
How was TF online on PS3?

Whether they port it or not, this games seems heavily online-based, and an half-assed work would be pointless.
Really simple option wise, very little of what you'd expect from an online game. But the net-code itself is fine, rock solid, no lag, no server drop outs or anything. Not from what I played anyway, which wasn't too much. Certain Affinity are making all new net-code for the 360 version I think, seems logical to port that version directly, with the addition of the PSN interface.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Is there any doubt, outside of an exclusive agreement, that EA wouldn't port this to PS3? It probably won't arrive at the time it's listed, but it should still happen. I just hope EA takes a little time out of their day to actually put some effort into this vs. what they did with Orange Box.

Slavik81

wayward archer said:
Unless it was a really shoddy coding job with lots of specific non-reusable code I would think the PS3 orange box code could be used as a good basis for all these source games.
Why would you use a port to a system with a strange architecture and a different graphics API as your base code?

Top Bottom