• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left, Right, Up, Down: The 2D appreciation thread!

So I searched, didn't find anything...and why not, we need a thread for this. The 2D appreciation thread: past present & future.

Super-Metroid-7-1.jpg

So I guess I'll start with my top 2D games.

1) Super Metroid
2) Final Fantasy 6
3) Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night

Recently released 2D games:

-Wario Land Shake It!
-Mega Man 9
-Ikaruga XBLA

So post your favs, post about upcoming 2D games or recommend some classics for 2D purists. :--)

PS - If this thread has been done too many times, I apologize, I just thought it would be nice.

I have Super Metroird on Wii VC, and I haven't played it for more than 15 minutes maybe :(

Never played SM before. Loved the GBA ones.

I want to buy Symphony of the Night from PSN. Love that game!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
forward, Quarter circle forward, fierce paunch

Umm..

-Super mario Bros 3
-Super Metroid
-Symphony of the night

Those 3 are my must haves, in terms of 2D gaming. Edit: (hell...must haves period)

Naked Snake said:
I have Super Metroird on Wii VC, and I haven't played it for more than 15 minutes maybe :(

Missing out man.

I know this might sound really corny, but the first time I played it, it was raining outside, and it kind of made the game that much more real to me.

I don't really know what exactly makes the game feel so balanced, but about an hour in you're hooked. Finding powerups is like crack :lol

I don't feel that any Metroid game benefits from it's first 15 minutes, it's really slow to start, and you always lose your powerups. Pisses me off :D

Anyhow, the quality of the Metroid series (the 2D ones) goes from Super, to Fusion, to the original, though I would possibly say play Zero Mission (the reimaged original) first because after you've beaten Super Metroid it's hard to go backwards.

RobertM

Shatterhand
vy4jcy.jpg

Young Indiana Jones
jgi8tj.jpg

Vectorman
5vudrn.jpg

Recent stuff:
LBP (yeah it's 3d technically)
Bionic Commando
Odin Sphere

RobertM said:
Vectorman
5vudrn.jpg

They were working on a PS2 version of Vectorman with destructible environments...then they fucking canned it :(

By the way everyone, I haven't played the new-ish Super Mario Bros. DS game, is it worth buying a DS for?

Johnas

Yoshi's Island was posted a lot in that 16-bit graphics thread, but it could never get enough love.

Yoshi's Island!

permutated said:
They were working on a PS2 version of Vectorman with destructible environments...then they fucking canned it :(

By the way everyone, I haven't played the new-ish Super Mario Bros. DS game, is it worth buying a DS for?

If you remotely like Mario, then yes. But also because the DS has many good 2D games.

Johnas said:
Yoshi's Island!

I didn't finish it!

Johnas said:
Yoshi's Island was posted a lot in that 16-bit graphics thread, but it could never get enough love.

Yoshi's Island!

It's funny, I can't think of many sequels to incredible games that absolutely bypass the original, still managing to completely rewrite the formula in the process.

Some people won't agree with me on this, but as far as memories go: I was more wow'd by the sequel than the original, on almost all fronts.

Thinking back, I think the only thing about Yoshi's Island that wasn't as impressive, was the lack of multiple paths, but even then: the level design was stellar regardless.

permutated said:
It's funny, I can't think of many sequels to incredible games that absolutely bypass the original, still managing to completely rewrite the formula in the process.

Some people won't agree with me on this, but as far as memories go: I was more wow'd by the sequel than the original, on almost all fronts.

Thinking back, I think the only thing about Yoshi's Island that wasn't as impressive, was the lack of multiple paths, but even then: the level design was stellar regardless.

Amen.

My favorites:
Super Mario 3
Super Metroid
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Ryck

Naked Snake said:

I want to buy Symphony of the Night from PSN. Love that game!
I was a bit underwhelmed with it at first (I too had played the Gba games before playing SM) but stick with it a bit and you will fall in love.

CTLance

2D for President.

Obligatory most beloved games? Legend of Mana. Super Mario World and Yoshis Island. Links Awakening. Albion. Escape Velocity. Even nethack.

Some gameplay mechanics just cannot be transferred to 3D without losing much of their appeal. There's a certain "simplicity" that makes 2D games more of a game and less demanding on the player IMHO. That doesn't mean 2D games are easy or otherwise lacking, everyone that tried Megaman 9 can attest to that. To me it just feels way more focused. I love that.

Time for derail: I also love limited color palettes. No screeen should need more than 64k colors. Ever. Better make it 256, even. Limitations make good artists shine and bad artists whine.

Bebpo

Banned
Top 3 Favorite 2d games:
FF6...for now (not putting FF4 because the 3d version is superior)
MvC2
Super Mario Bros 3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I love 2D games :)

I have to say my favorites are the Kirby series, most of the GBA/DS Library, the SNES Library, and the few games from companies who had the balls to make 2D PS1 games.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Can anyone guess this one?

up, up, down, down, up, up, up, up

Aaaand my top 3:

1. Symphony of the Night
2. Street Fighter 3
3. Sonic CD

I really wish the PS1/N64/Saturn gen was the third (starting from NES) 2D gen rather than the first 3D gen.

Beautiful games like Curse of Monkey Island would have been the standard.

work5.jpg

2380226582_ceccec9cd6.jpg

If Sega would have marketed the Saturn based on the fact that the 3D games on the PS1 and N64 looked like shit, things might be a lot different today.

Sonic was incredible in 2D...

He should have stayed there :lol

On another note, just got the 5th Familiar in SOTN (the Sword Familiar) for the first time. What a ridiculously difficult hiding spot they put that in!

Nikorasu

flintstryker said:
2d>3d this is fact you cannot argue against it.

also there is honestly too much too games that i love for me to post.

I feel the same. It seems to me that not going all out screenshot crazy with every amazing 2d game in the last ~2 decades would simply be doing a disservice. May this thread prosper so others can do it instead. :D

KevinCow

Banned
cartman414 said:
Harmony of Dissonance instead of Dawn of Sorrow?
I will never forgive DoS for absolutely destroying the fantastic artwork of AoS. I also hated the tacked-on touch screen implementation. It overall just felt like a weak copy of AoS. HoD also gets bonus points for the great use of L and R for dashing, which just felt awesome and is something I wish they'd bring back.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I only played DoS the once back when it came out, and I've played all the others multiple times and my last playthroughs have been in the past couple of months. I just remember being really unimpressed and disappointed, as AoS was my first Metroidvania and it blew me away and I had huge hopes for the sequel.

ciaossu said:
B A R R A L
I don't need it... it's just nice to have.
:3

gfs_28963_2_15.jpg

Definitely in my top ten games of all time.

Yes. Or at least damn near it.

Honorable mention goes to the Oracle games as well.

KevinCow said:
I will never forgive DoS for absolutely destroying the fantastic artwork of AoS. I also hated the tacked-on touch screen implementation. It overall just felt like a weak copy of AoS. HoD also gets bonus points for the great use of L and R for dashing, which just felt awesome and is something I wish they'd bring back.
me too i felt like a complete badass in that game when using that dash.

Rpgmonkey

flintstryker said:
also there is honestly too much too games that i love for me to post.

Pretty much this.

There are way too many 2D games out there I really enjoy, from older eras up to the last generation, that I don't feel like searching through the internet for to put pics of all of them up.

I'll mention to Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, Seiken Desetsu 3, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Tales of Rebirth, Dragon Quest III-VI, and Tales of Destiny (PS2, though the original looked nice too) though, as they're some of my favorite 2D games. A couple of my other faves have been mentioned already, so eh.

Llyranor

Dear Nintendo,

Please release more 2D Metroid games.

Sincerely,
A 2D Metroid fan

Now that I think of it, all my favorite Nintendo titles are 2D.

Up, Down, Left, Right, A, Start

Can't believe no one mentioned that one! hehe

The smooth stylish graphics of Another World and the charm of Rocket Knight Adventures deserve a mention here.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
KevinCow said:

No Dawn of Sorrow Love?

And since you went there, I've been getting some oldschool 2D love the past few days:

Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg

The best Old School Castlevania (non Metroidvania). I really should go back to Symphony on my 360 after finishing this one. I stopped at the beginning of the inverted castle... :(

drizzle said:
I really should go back to Symphony on my 360 after finishing this one. I stopped at the beginning of the inverted castle... :(

I'm playing it through right now. Got all my powers just getting the relics and shit.

Started it yesterday when I accidentally deleted my fucking save :(

beef3483

1. Super Metroid
2. LOZ:LttP
3. Super Mario World
4. Final Fantasy 6
5. Chrono Trigger

I still much prefer 3D gameplay to 2D. It seems to have more complexity.

Top Bottom