• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain - Cancelled Sequel

Poimandres said:
I only ever owned Soul Reaver (on PS1).

But damn, at the time it was fantastic. Awesome graphics and art, bursting with ideas.
The Dreamcast version is full of win; 60FPS goodness.

TommyT said:
I saw a few of the Legacy of Kain games at Hollywood videos whilst rummaging for good trade in games... I've never played one, nor do I know much about them. Are they worth picking up?
Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 are both completely awesome.. I haven't played any of the others though.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A sequel to Defiance would be nice but in my opinion the pretty much destroyed the series with Defiance. Gameplay and Story-wise.

I don't know, but for me Deficance was a giant disapointment. SR2 had/has by far the best storyline I've experienced in my entire life and I am very sad that they've almost fucked up every story aspect from it in Defiance. And the DMC Gameplay didn't really make it better. Sad, sad....

Still can remember when I first played through SR2. It was such an amazing experience. After searching Janos Audron for the entire game I expected the encounter with him would be just one big disapointment. But it wasn't - not at all. Will never forget this. Was such a great moment and almost all the story-puzzels came together after this sheer awesome dialog.

Good times....

Dead Man

duffey said:
Dammit this thread is going to make me bust out my PS1 copy of Soul Reaver to play it again and I have way way too much shit to play currently. God the intro to SR was so incredible as well as the music (which I randomly found on youtube without voiceovers).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=126HmI5xPzs
Damn you for making me listen to the epic music of SR, now I have to FIND my copy which is missing and play it!

_Angelus_

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 are both completely awesome.. I haven't played any of the others though.

For me Blood Omen kicks every other sequel this series had in its ass. That was a game that had meat on its bones, You had such a long game and the powerup abiities like turning to mist to get by certain areas,,morphing into a werewolf,and some others I'm forgetting right no,made the game crazy. It was such a huge game,played like you were set in a large rpg world,many many hours of hack and slash game play. The dungeons in this game were tough but awesome. The only thing that killed the game was the horrendous load times. I should get around to buying the PC version one of these days.

I doubt they could achieve the same Soul Reaver greatness today, and Tony Jay is dead so how can you have the Elder God without him?

Lord Phol

Aw, I really wouldn't mind me a sequel, definetly among my favorite games.
Soul Reaver 2 is probably my favorite of the lot, great story as always, lovely voice-acting and beautiful athmospheric music, an overall fun world to explore and journey through and best of all, the AWESOME puzzles.
In that regard i was pretty dissapointed in Defiance, it was a great game no doubt, but the puzzles were simple, tedious and way too repetetive all the way through. I Also didn't like the fixed camera and "level-design", it took away alot of the engrossing experience venturing through and exploring nosgoth that SL2 was.

I've yet to finnish the first Soul Reaver, but I do love it so far, working my way through blood omen 2 as well, an okey game but i prefer the soul reaver games over it and defiance.
Here's hoping for a next-gen sequel!

Kittonwy said:
Soul Reaver wuz teh best game in teh series becuz Amy Hennig directed it and Richard Lemarchand wuz senor designer.
angry.gif
Who released the bonsai kitten?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TheExorzist said:
A sequel to Defiance would be nice but in my opinion the pretty much destroyed the series with Defiance. Gameplay and Story-wise.

I don't know, but for me Deficance was a giant disapointment. SR2 had/has by far the best storyline I've experienced in my entire life and I am very sad that they've almost fucked up every story aspect from it in Defiance. And the DMC Gameplay didn't really make it better. Sad, sad....

Still can remember when I first played through SR2. It was such an amazing experience. After searching Janos Audron for the entire game I expected the encounter with him would be just one big disapointment. But it wasn't - not at all. Will never forget this. Was such a great moment and almost all the story-puzzels came together after this sheer awesome dialog.

Good times....

Well story-wise the series was so incredibly disjointed due to paradoxes, time travelling changes, etc... that Defiance was an attempt to unify the storyline. What it does in essense is brings us full circle to Legacy of Kain as Defiance's storyline ends as the younger Kain refuses to take his place that pillar of Balance...

man I'd love the storyline to continue from Defiance... Elder Kain is out there... the Hylden are making their moves....

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Why do I feel like someone stuck the Soul Reaver through my heart?
Legacy of Kain is one of my top three franchises. I've been waiting for a sequel to Defiance for years :(

EDIT:
DarienA said:
man I'd love the storyline to continue from Defiance... Elder Kain is out there... the Hylden are making their moves....
The two Kains were originally supposed to meet in Defiance, if I'm not mistaken.
Defiance tied many loose ends together, but there's still plenty out there, just waiting to be explored.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You just had to post this and break my heart, did you? :lol

I love this series, the gameplay is awesome, at least in the original and SR1 and 2, with their Zelda inspired puzzles, moreso SR1 and then there's the fantastic voice acting and the dialogue, incredible stuff.

I still own an original copy of Blood Omen for PC :D

One of the most compelling stores in gaming, in my opinion. Loved the entire series to death not only for that, but the gameplay was just so damn fun.

Ricker

I'ts going to come back,either as a Kain or SR game at some point...it has to,the series was awesome...c'mon CD or Eidos or whoever :lol make it happpen,after the success of the newer Tomb Raider's,you know this would be very successful.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Easy_D said:
You just had to post this and break my heart, did you? :lol

I love this series, the gameplay is awesome, at least in the original and SR1 and 2, with their Zelda inspired puzzles, moreso SR1 and then there's the fantastic voice acting and the dialogue, incredible stuff.

I still own an original copy of Blood Omen for PC :D
Blood Omen was...awesome, one of my favourite games from my early PC gaming life, the voice acting was impeccable.

I remember buying teh Soul Reaver games on PC, and being blown away by how awesome they looked, even now SR2 looks pretty decent for a game released in 2001. Alas that was the last SR game I played, but I still am saddened by the series demise, this doesn't help. :(

Wow, people have short memory on these forums. Soul Reaver was filled with unfulfilled promised, one of the most convoluted and non-sense story ever, and the biggest useless cliffhanging ever seen in a video game, even worse than Halo 2.

The gameplay was "good", but still, it was pretty much a run-to-the-mill third person game, something so common in the Ps1 era.

Legacy of Kain was the best story ever told in a series. Perhaps its best to leave it as it is rather than see someone else basterdize the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Littleberu said:
Wow, people have short memory on these forums. Soul Reaver was filled with unfulfilled promised, one of the most convoluted and non-sense story ever, and the biggest useless cliffhanging ever seen in a video game, even worse than Halo 2.
Which were fixed in the sequels, making your point moot.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Littleberu said:

The gameplay was "good", but still, it was pretty much a run-to-the-mill third person game, something so common in the Ps1 era.
Quick, run away before they catch you :lol

But if I remember right Raziel was originally going to kill Kain ni the first game and there wouldn't be much of a Legacy of Kain without Kain. So if fucking up the story in the first SR is what gave us the SR2 and Defiance, it was totally worth it.

Ether_Snake said:
I'm pretty sure Eidos is making a new Soul Reaver.

EDIT: Can't confirm it.
Well, even if they were - it would have to be a remake.

What I would give for a current generation remake of ANY Legacy of Kain game. :(

Littleberu said:

From what I have read, that cliffhanger was because Soul Reaver 1 and 2 were originally slated to be one game, but they decided to chop it in half during development.

By far my favorite story in any game. I couldn't care less about the paradoxes. I've thought the series was dead for a while, but hearing about the canceled game is still upsetting.

I can't really decide which is my favorite. Blood Omen brought me in and showed me what amazing voice acting can do for a game. SR1 had one of the biggest surprises in a video game story for me (I was actually just thinking about this the other day actually)
Raziel is a Sarafan
. SR2 had significantly better gameplay IMO and had one of my favorite monologues in any game:

kain said:
Apparently so, but suppose you flip a coin enough times and one day it lands on its edge.

I don't remember much about Defiance other than I enjoyed it, though.

Soul Reaver 2, in my opinion is the best game in the series. It had excellent progression, excellent design, excellent atmosphere, etc. It was AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.

Littleberu said:

Cliffhanger aside you cannot call Soul Reaver a simple run-to-the-mill third person game, it was simply one of the best games and unsurpassed by it's sequels.

Bit-Bit

I remember some big magazine way back in the day calling Soul Reaver 1 the "Zelda Killer". I was such a huge Zelda fan that anything else resembling Zelda could only be a good thing. So I bought Soul Reaver and......was pleasantly surprise that it was nothing like Zelda. However, I was hooked on the story and started play on the Legacy of Kain games. Then when Soul Reaver 2 came out for PS2, I played the hell out of it. However, it oddly gave me really bad migraines.

Anyways, I never really got to play Defiance. I just lost track of the games and never kept up with them. Eidos should do a collectors edition on the Wii with all of the games. They still hold up pretty well I think. Especially Soul Reaver 1 on Dreamcast. My friend had it and I remember thinking the Dreamcast was such an amazing machine.

Oh how times have changed.

Meh, I loved Blood Omen on PS1 and bought Soul Reaver day one but after that game I gave up on that part of the franchise. When someone promises 60 hours of gameplay on the box and then I get a bullshit "To Be Continued..." ending not even 20 hours in, fuck that :lol

I did buy Blood Omen 2 though, it was decent.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How are PS1 load times if you're playing on a PS3 (generally speaking, not just on this game)? I remember the load times being terrible on the original Blood Omen, but if they're not as bad on a PS3 I may think about replaying it soon.

GQman2121

Banned
Monroeski said:
How are PS1 load times if you're playing on a PS3 (generally speaking, not just on this game)? I remember the load times being terrible on the original Blood Omen, but if they're not as bad on a PS3 I may think about replaying it soon.

Isn't Blood Omen one of the five PSX games that are on the NA PStore? That might be the way to go because the load times are absolutely horrible for that version of the game.

I don't believe there's much of a noticeable difference on the PS3.

The first Soul Reaver is easily one of my top 5 games of all time. It's squeals however are average at best........I'm all about revisiting Nosgoth again if a new publisher picks up the IP.

Shiggy

Ritual Entertainment/Crystal Dynamics had it in development from December 2003 - April 2004, is that correct?

Soul Reaver is a technical marvel and a game with brilliant execution of the "two worlds" concept that no other game has matched; it's probably the best 3D action-adventure game of its generation, bar none.

Defiance is some ass-backwards crap garbage in comparison.

Thanks to a post at the Nosgothic Realm, some interesting information has been unearthed regarding a (cancelled) sequel in the Legacy of Kain Series.

This website is the portfolio of game artist, Aaron Hausmass, who is credited as artist for 25 to Life (Eidos), Medal of Honour: Airborne (EA), and The SiN Episodes (Valve). A section of the portfolio is devoted to "LEGACY OF KAIN - CANCELLED SEQUEL". Take a look...

I swear my first thoughts were "oh, thank god it's cancelled".

Besides, the series was finished in Defiance. Everything worthwhile has been dealt with and without Tony Jay... forget about it.

Garcia

charlequin said:
Soul Reaver is a technical marvel and a game with brilliant execution of the "two worlds" concept that no other game has matched; it's probably the best 3D action-adventure game of its generation, bar none.

As much a I love Soul Reaver for being not only the first Legacy of Kain I played but also the first game (and still one of the very best) that actually blew my mind for its incredible voice acting AND storytelling, it's an incredibly unbalanced game. The block puzzles are one of the most annoying features I've encountered in a videogame, and even though it certainly didn't make me go nuts on my first couple of runs, those puzzles really annoyed the hell out of me when I tried to replay the PC version a couple of months ago. They are just too fucking many block puzzles it's not even funny.

Not the best 3D action-adventure game, but definitely it is the ultimate example of spot-on voice acting, perfect storytelling pace and emphasys, and also one of the most intelligent level designs I've seen so far. Add in the awesome artwork just raises the bar more.

On topic: I was satisfied by the way the story unfolded during the last 3 games, and I don't think there's room for another one, as someone already mentioned they basically killed the story with Defiance. Even though Kain is the Alpha and Omega of the game, Raziel's constant insights about his past were far more spectacular than Kain's constant justifications.

ToyMachine228 said:
I played a demo of Soul Reaver when I first got my PlayStation and liked it. Never played the full game though.

Do it please. The PC version by all means, not the playstation one, that one sucks big time.

Garcia said:
They are just too fucking many block puzzles it's not even funny.

Ehhhhhhh. Block puzzles don't really bother me.

Not the best 3D action-adventure game

What's better, on the PSX or N64? (Assuming, as I think is fairly reasonable, that "Zelda" is pretty much its own genre.)

Garcia

I must confess I actually misread your post. I didn't read the

charlequin said:
of its generation

part so now I have to concur with your statement. :nods:

I remember many action adventure adventure games that I really enjoyed (TR I & II to mention a couple) but none of them even tries to polish things as Soul Reaver did.

Melchiah

{Mike} said:
Partially true. It's a re-release for PSN

Whaaat?! Great news if true. I'd love to play the first Soul Reaver again. Are the PSN re-releases usually exactly the same as the original versions, or are their visuals enhanced in anyway (like resolution)?

TommyT said:
I saw a few of the Legacy of Kain games at Hollywood videos whilst rummaging for good trade in games... I've never played one, nor do I know much about them. Are they worth picking up?

The first two games in the series are among the greatest I have ever played.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was one of the first games to enrapture me with atmosphere, combining a brilliant script, atmospheric music, hypnotic cut-scenes, and some truly unconventional environments. It's made in a 2D overhead view, but more realistic shades than stylised art. Though a comparison in combat style and perspective can be drawn to 2D Zelda, the game abandons any traditional formulaic approach. The world isn't what it seems, good is bad, bad is good, and everyone is a shade in between. The story is intelligent and epic, unlike any I've encountered, and backed up with the best voice acting the industry has to offer. Nosgoth is a world quite unlike any other I've ever explored, and its monsters' don't always look the part.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

If you (or anyone reading) can find the PC version, it lacks the PS1's unfortunate loading times and boasts superior visuals.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is a game still ahead of its time today. To quote what I said in the Favourite intro movie thread:

This game was released nearly ten years ago now, one of the most ahead-of-its-time games I can think of. A truly original scenario (a world on the brink of total collapse, exloring the ruins of its dead empires), with a exploration style-of-gameplay that wouldn't be seen again until Metroid Prime was released. The game offered a superb story, and was backed up with the best voice acting the industry has ever seen.

Soul Reaver is a 3D exploration saga, which like its predecessor eschews tradition and formula. In many ways even today, the game is still ahead of its time, and was applying the mechanics of Metroid Prime before the Gamecube was a twinkle in Miyamoto's eye. That it does all this on the humble Playstation is a miracle to this day, but if you want to give it a go (and you should), seek out the Dreamcast or PC versions for better visual quality.

Soul Reaver has fantastic, intelligent combat (how do you kill the immortal?), amazing bosses, and a ruined world of secrets. It refines a two-world parallel design that has yet to be matched. It, simply put, is one of the greatest games ever.

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg

a5.jpg
a6.jpg
a7.jpg
a8.jpg

I apologise if this reads like the deluded advertising of a desperate fanboy, but this series deserves far more praise than exposure than it gets. As my avatar testifies, I am a driven fan of the Legacy of Kain.

Sorry to bump an old topic (not to mention double-post) but I've unearthed a few more discoveries. Looking at the website of one of the LOK Series Artists' (Daniel Cabuco) I've managed to find some interesting tidbits in his portfolio.

In particular, evidence that the series was going to feature a young (vampire?) Kain, a wolf transformation for Kain, and something described as a "beast mode". Since these features have not been in any of the games (and are not listed on The Lost Worlds as cut material), I'm leaning to the idea that they were cut concepts from The Dark Prophecy.

kain_young.jpg

KainBEAST.jpg

Dire_wolf.jpg

"Beast mode" seems to depict Kain undergoing the devolution that destroyed his Lieutenants in the Empire. Alternatively, it could have been simply a rage-mechanic, but the reference to the wolf as a "dire" form makes me think otherwise.

Interestingly, the site also has art for a Pre-death Ariel.

abstract alien said:
:^(
Hopefully it resurfaces.
With Amy Hennig working with Naughty Dog, it'll never happen. Unless, of course, Naughty Dog gets to develop it as a Playstation 3 exclusive. That would be quite cool.

Top Bottom