• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun (updated with E3 2012 Square Enix Teaser and Pre-Boss Video)

Kukawaki

Blood Omen
Blood Omen 2*
Soul Reaver
Soul Reaver II
Defiance

*The game is set between Blood Omen and Soul Reaver but is explained away as some alternate universe later in the series - breaks canon if I remember right. Personally I think it's better to skip BO2, not a fan of it in the slightest.

Technically, Blood Omen 2 happens after Defiance.

Ouroboros

Love the idea of his killer being around all the time. Combat and general game play seems too God of War -like and the unnecessary nudity and swearing really turns me off. They seems to force that to be more edgy and risky. Things that never needed to be in a Legacy of Kain game.

Don't get me wrong. I would whole heartily take this over the shooting arena game they opted to do instead. Maybe one day we will see ideas of this game come to fruition this generation.

Heres a picture to sum up my feelings of this being canceled :
SR0014188.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;153309014 said:
Yes but I mean does that get in the way of doing something like a collection of the series releases?

Ah hell its SE they'd just put SR2-BO2-Def together~
Yes, it does. The series is very old and it's been ages since the last entry. Not enough people care at this point.
The only thing I can see Square doing is rebooting the whole thing. But most likely the series will vanish in Square's vault forever.

Yes, it does. The series is very old and it's been ages since the last entry. Not enough people care at this point.
The only thing I can see Square doing is rebooting the whole thing. But most likely the series will vanish in Square's vault forever.

really more interested if anyone knows the actual legal status of blood omen with no SK around anymore, like if they still need the byline on who created kain.

But thanks.

kogasu

Again, another amazing thread by Mama Robotnik!

So sad this got canned. It honestly looked very interesting. I love me my Legacy of Kain.

Fisty

Im not invested in the series more than having played the Soul Reaver demo on a Playstation sampler.... but this looks damn good. My condolences to the team, looks like they really put some time and effort in to this

watched the footage. It looks already. I hope nosgoth gives the team and opportunity to go back to the drawing board and figure out a unique way to really bring the series forward. The last thing LoK needed was to become the alsoran frankenstein's monster of modern game ideas that Castlevania became.

deleted

It looks like Mordor meets Shadow Man.

It oozes potential - the Batman inspired combat looks so fast, the gliding mechanic looks fun, the world changing fascinating. Truly a shame that this was canceled (in favor of the F2P title?).

This could have been a year one gem on PS4 and XB1.

Dawg

I like watching stuff like this but I didn't like what I saw at all.

Like, it looked very big in scale and all, but it felt really bland and... uninteresting.

rakhir

I really looks like Shadows of Mordoer, isn't it? The fighting especially, main character jumps around pretty fast. And i love how he uses enemies weapons to kill them.

I kinda don't like the main characters look. Raziel was pretty unique looking, this one looks like a dude with tatoos.

Still, all of this sucks, i would want to play the game now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is like, the DmC of Legacy of Kains, not super bummed out about its cancellation. I mean it could have been cool but it's a far cry from a proper Legacy of Kain title. It's all very "I smoulder with generic rage"

VeeP

Man, I've always been interested in Legacy of Kain. Since PS1. But I've never bought/had the chance to really jump in. I always thought the whole lore sounded cool. and Raziel (sp?) always looked so cool. Hopefully Square publishes an awesome Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain game. I would love to give the franchise a try.

I worked on this game. Glad something has come out of it, even if that's just excitement from people who can see what we were going for. (And this was running on 360, so remember that - the creaking you can see was the engine running two entire levels at the same time, so that you could shift realms at any point, something that UE3 really isn't designed to do.)

I hope somebody leaks some videos of other parts of the game. I don't have any, annoyingly, but others who worked on it might have a video of The Temple Of The Whore Saint, which was one of the dungeons. The thing to remember is that this bit is a small chunk of what was essentially Hyrule field - an expanse designed to lead from place to place. The person playing this is really taking their time with a bit of the game that has zero missions - the actual structure was far more Zelda/Soul Reaver than this might appear.

Lumine

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but a few comments from me anyway:

- The shifting looks nowhere near as cool or impressive as it did in the original Soul Reaver, but perhaps it was unfinished.
- Combat is very Arkham-like. Not sure if that would've been a good thing though.
- The writing seemed awful compared to SR. The obscenities and cursing feel really out of place.
- What's the connection to Nosgoth, Kain and/or Raziel? I guess the hero is some sort of wraith like Raziel was, but it didn't feel like the same universe to me.
- The art direction looks a little generic, nowhere near as unique as SR.
- Still a shame it was canceled. I would've probably enjoyed it even if it wasn't the Soul Reaver game I would've loved to see.

I still think an HD set of SR, SR2 and Defiance could do well. The oldest of the 3 games still holds up well enough on the Dreamcast (currently playing on VGA box). Take that version, add camera controls to a second stick, widescreen and you're golden.

The games are more accessable than the early Hitman games Square put out in that HD collection a couple years back. I think new folk would give the LoK series a shot if there was an alternative to tracking down the old discs.

Soodanim

¡HarlequinPanic!;153308462 said:
You can play it in the order of release and just ignore most of what happens in blood omen 2 as that's mostly the source of confusion.

I'd say BO1 - SR - SR2 - Defiance forms a pretty well defined story arc. BO2's got some neat ideas and brings back gimmicky boss fights (which go missing after SR1), but treat it as a gaiden that has some tenuous ties back to the main story.

Which is why I'm glad dead sun seemed to be completely unrelated.

Blood Omen
Blood Omen 2*
Soul Reaver
Soul Reaver II
Defiance

*The game is set between Blood Omen and Soul Reaver but is explained away as some alternate universe later in the series - breaks canon if I remember right. Personally I think it's better to skip BO2, not a fan of it in the slightest.
Thanks guys! For some reason I expected the series to have more games, maybe because of how complex the story looked in the timeline I saw.

It seems that the only place I can get Blood Omen 1 is on PSN now, so I'm not sure whether to watch a Let's Play, read a summary of events, or pump some money into PSN and have the leftover money be wasted funds.

Thanks guys! For some reason I expected the series to have more games, maybe because of how complex the story looked in the timeline I saw.

It seems that the only place I can get Blood Omen 1 is on PSN now, so I'm not sure whether to watch a Let's Play, read a summary of events, or pump some money into PSN and have the leftover money be wasted funds.

The first Blood Omen is the hardest to go back to and play, it's a slow game and the PS1 load times don't help it in the slightest. If the game looks appealing though certainly give it a shot, if not a summary or youtube plot video should give you enough context to start you off right in Soul Reaver.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

It's a shame the PC port isn't on GoG or something, but the PSX version is rather..tedious. Load times are pretty long and you switch screens constantly. When it comes to Soul Reaver though, I'd say the PSX version is preferrable to the PC version.

Why? Because the PSX version has the fully dynamic music, that's missing in the PC port, the best version is the Dreamcast version though, it has some upgraded models and much better texture work compared to both the PC and PSX version. Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance both run great on PC though

CAR105 3

Will watch later

LoK has always been my favorite franchise in gaming. I had already heard about Dead Sun, but I never got to see gameplay from it

Xater

Despite not being a direct continuation with Kain and Raziel, the continuation of the story as described by Mama Robotnik sounds fascinating.

The game itself also looks quite good and has a really nice looks to it. This being cancel really seems like a shame.

jimboton

Wow, this really IS devastating. Thank you Square Enix. I guess focus testers don't want to protect filthy vampires.

Atwa

Banned
The video looks mad lame, reminds me of Shadow of Mordor. Aka "the most popular trends in gaming of the last few years" - The Game. Some of the dialogue in this thing is cringe inducing too, which is especially bad considering Legacy of Kain always had decent writing.

Legacy of Kain is fine as it is, let it sleep.

Angel_DvA

Why did they canceled it , it looks amazing, the atmosphere was fantastic and the Intro was great, a shame, really.

We need to see a come back for this IP.

The_Afroman

I am just GUTTED.

There is no franchise i want resurrected more than Legacy of Kain/Blood Omen.

I remember playing defiance and getting to the end.. and it ending on a cliff hanger.. i waited WAITED for the next one.

You guys can have your Half Life 3 to pine for.. me? It was/is this franchise.

The fact this much of the game exists, and it was cancelled.. just UGH..

it's 9am.. i need a drink :(

The_Afroman

Love the idea of his killer being around all the time. Combat and general game play seems too God of War -like and the unnecessary nudity and swearing really turns me off. They seems to force that to be more edgy and risky. Things that never needed to be in a Legacy of Kain game.

Don't get me wrong. I would whole heartily take this over the shooting arena game they opted to do instead. Maybe one day we will see ideas of this game come to fruition this generation.

Heres a picture to sum up my feelings of this being canceled :
SR0014188.jpg

Agreed.

Wow, once again, thanks Mama Robotnik!

I've played a bit of Nosgoth, it has some stuff going for it but... Well in some ways its a reminder of what could have been.

Although I'm not even sure I would want another game and risk it not living up to the others. Rose tinted glasses in full effect here.

DedValve

Banned
Saw the gameplay and now I'm extremely depressed ;_;

whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

This looked absolutely incredible. I was hooked for 30 minutes and didn't even realize it had passed!

I worked on this game. Glad something has come out of it, even if that's just excitement from people who can see what we were going for. (And this was running on 360, so remember that - the creaking you can see was the engine running two entire levels at the same time, so that you could shift realms at any point, something that UE3 really isn't designed to do.)

I hope somebody leaks some videos of other parts of the game. I don't have any, annoyingly, but others who worked on it might have a video of The Temple Of The Whore Saint, which was one of the dungeons. The thing to remember is that this bit is a small chunk of what was essentially Hyrule field - an expanse designed to lead from place to place. The person playing this is really taking their time with a bit of the game that has zero missions - the actual structure was far more Zelda/Soul Reaver than this might appear.

Hopefully that video comes out, I would love to see what the dungeons could have turned out like.

Top Bottom