• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun (updated with E3 2012 Square Enix Teaser and Pre-Boss Video)

Xater

I love the way the realm shifting looks. Hopefully we can get a video of that dungeon. Would love to see that.

Honome

This is some bullshit. Fuck you Square.

That´s exactly my feeling after reading everything and seeing the images (couldn´t watch the vide yet). This was one of my favourite franchises and i would love to play a new Legacy of Kain game. Excellent work OP, but now the thread made me really, really sad... :(

Soodanim

The first Blood Omen is the hardest to go back to and play, it's a slow game and the PS1 load times don't help it in the slightest. If the game looks appealing though certainly give it a shot, if not a summary or youtube plot video should give you enough context to start you off right in Soul Reaver.
Thanks, I'm watching that as we speak. I do enjoy the narration during gameplay, it's a shame it isn't available on PC.

It's a shame the PC port isn't on GoG or something, but the PSX version is rather..tedious. Load times are pretty long and you switch screens constantly. When it comes to Soul Reaver though, I'd say the PSX version is preferrable to the PC version.

Why? Because the PSX version has the fully dynamic music, that's missing in the PC port, the best version is the Dreamcast version though, it has some upgraded models and much better texture work compared to both the PC and PSX version. Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance both run great on PC though

I didn't expect anyone to say the PSX version is preferred over PC! I just YouTubed the PSX version, and the dynamic music is pretty cool. But it's exclusion from the PC version isn't a deal breaker, especially with PC having improved resolution/IQ/framerate.

I was quite impressed with that. I like the dark nature of the narrative and world design. This should have been rebuilt for current gen. Looks much more interesting to play through than the AC games.

This gets cancelled but The Order is released. No justice.

Yes, RAD are surely responsible for this games cancellation...What a silly thing to say.

Zizbuka

Banned
Don't really care for the art style, but I do love the Soul Reaver/Kain games.

Around 1:40, the girl's right boob is out, the rest of the time the left boob is out...........

Yeah, I noticed :(

Holy sh.t they were about to turn the game into asscreed.

tbh want i want from a loc reboot is something along lines of god of war, something feels just as epic but with a gothic setting, if that makes sense.

Mifec

Aside from the main char's design being pretty bad everything else looked dank as fuck :/ Pretty sad this got killed.

The person playing this is really taking their time with a bit of the game that has zero missions - the actual structure was far more Zelda/Soul Reaver than this might appear.

Yeah? Pretty good to hear. Hope other footage exists out there/the team gets to move onto another project that y'all enjoyed working on as much as this one.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thanks, I'm watching that as we speak. I do enjoy the narration during gameplay, it's a shame it isn't available on PC.

I didn't expect anyone to say the PSX version is preferred over PC! I just YouTubed the PSX version, and the dynamic music is pretty cool. But it's exclusion from the PC version isn't a deal breaker, especially with PC having improved resolution/IQ/framerate.

Then, by all means, it's a solid port apart from the music thing :).

NeoFaff

Wow. :( It's a shame this was cancelled. Looked great and I don't mind batman style combat.

I'm assuming Eidos (SE EU) was the one that stopped development on the game. What other games were their studios working on at the time?

Goteki_45

Can't believe shit games get made and released, then are able to make a sequel out of it, but they couldn't even be bothered going through with this.

I hate Square-Enix even more now

It was. I am pretty proud of what we were doing.

If you're answering questions do you have any info on what the project was back when it was "envisioned as a small project (possibly downloadable?)". I'm curious what the original scope for that smaller LoK game would have been.

vio

UE3 at it`s worst. Other than that, it looks interesting. I like the voice acting, sound, unique setting. The main character design is ok, but not even close as good as Raziel.

Mama Robotnik returning with the megaton. Great job!

I was bummed when I saw the material you posted prior, but after seeing it in action I am extremely sad we'll never see this completed. Combat looked pretty solid, traversal looked fun, cutscenes were interesting and well acted, realm shifting with the platforming looked great, and the overall art style (specifically the color palette) was really interesting and different. Knowing it was apparently cancelled due to sales projections as opposed to the project not coming together makes it hurt even more. I hope SE comes to their senses one day and give us a proper LoK sequel.

I definitely see a lot of little things from Nosgoth in this too including that double wing execution. Luckily that game is fun, and I hope any LoK fans interested in that genre give it a chance.

Locuza

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but a few comments from me anyway:

- The shifting looks nowhere near as cool or impressive as it did in the original Soul Reaver, but perhaps it was unfinished.
- Combat is very Arkham-like. Not sure if that would've been a good thing though.
- The writing seemed awful compared to SR. The obscenities and cursing feel really out of place.
- What's the connection to Nosgoth, Kain and/or Raziel? I guess the hero is some sort of wraith like Raziel was, but it didn't feel like the same universe to me.
- The art direction looks a little generic, nowhere near as unique as SR.
- Still a shame it was canceled. I would've probably enjoyed it even if it wasn't the Soul Reaver game I would've loved to see.
I watched the whole thing and have more or less the same thoughts except the last point.
In my eyes the section looked really bad.
Nearly everything, the batman like battle system with the animation, the repetitive enemy-voice, the generic look of the level, the sound design.

The positive thing is, I'm confident to say that I'm not sad that this thing got cancelled.
I simply can't imagine that this game would have been good.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hrm, on a second view, I feel this could have been a cool game at least, maybe not the Legacy of Kain sequel I would have wanted, but a perfectly fine game on its own.

So what's next Mama Robotnik? Uncovering the truth behind Metroid Dread?

If you're answering questions do you have any info on what the project was back when it was "envisioned as a small project (possibly downloadable?)". I'm curious what the original scope for that smaller LoK game would have been.
That's the only info that I think is wrong. It was never a downloadable game, not as long as I worked on it. Always intended as AAA. Same with the PS4 launch thing - it was intended for cross gen, all systems.

I worked on this game. Glad something has come out of it, even if that's just excitement from people who can see what we were going for. (And this was running on 360, so remember that - the creaking you can see was the engine running two entire levels at the same time, so that you could shift realms at any point, something that UE3 really isn't designed to do.)

I hope somebody leaks some videos of other parts of the game. I don't have any, annoyingly, but others who worked on it might have a video of The Temple Of The Whore Saint, which was one of the dungeons. The thing to remember is that this bit is a small chunk of what was essentially Hyrule field - an expanse designed to lead from place to place. The person playing this is really taking their time with a bit of the game that has zero missions - the actual structure was far more Zelda/Soul Reaver than this might appear.

Man. I really want to see what you guys were planning for bosses and such. It's been too long since we've had a AAA game with good bosses.

That's the only info that I think is wrong. It was never a downloadable game, not as long as I worked on it. Always intended as AAA. Same with the PS4 launch thing - it was intended for cross gen, all systems.

Ah, I was hoping that maybe Square would go back to that plan of a smaller release if that's what was originally intended. Something to test the waters to see if it's worth trying a larger production again.

Multiplayer only games don't count!

Sagely

Fantastic research as usual. It's always so bittersweet to follow these LoK threads; the video looked amazing and I'm glad to have a chance to see it, but it's just tragic that this project got canned after so much work.

The Arkham-style combat and wing gliding looked really cool to me, as did the gothic style and character design. And the soul-collecting sounds are straight out of Soul Reaver 2... *sigh* :(

Does anyone know when the game was cancelled exactly? It looks good but we never heard anything about it so I guess no later than E³ 2013, but probably before that.

system11

What's the deal with blocking sites from embedding the video?

Saw the story on Eurogamer, clicked play, content restriction nastygram.

Excellent thread as always Mama Robotnik, seeing Thief, Deus Ex, Hitman and Tomb Raider coming out of square enix in the recent years and no Legacy of Kain is a real shame, Nosgoth doesn't seem to be successful so I really hope they have something else in the works.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
visual reminds me far to much of dark sector

Top Bottom